Jump to topic:

Gay Stereotypes

RoderickSpode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2014 12:33:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
This thread is basically to state one's observed stereotypes of gay people. It's ideally not meant to be religious in nature, although the subject of religion is not prohibited as I will sort of break that rule anyway.

As a Christian, I do see stereotyping of gay people that have no boundaries, particularly in the media. These stereotypes are not religious or atheistic in nature, conservative or liberal in nature, etc.

There are the more obvious stereotypes that involve physical mannerisms and appearance. Generally the effeminate and the macho leather-clad characters we often see in movies, and sometimes in real life.

Outside of these, there's really only one major stereotype I can think of at the moment. The idea that a gay person has no particular standards. The gay man is turned on by the male figure.....period (short, tall, fat, skinny, muscled, average-built, etc.). And of course the same with the lesbian not holding a standard for the female body.

In the straight world, the basic understanding is that a man can be turned completely off by a woman as much as he can be turned on. A man can literally run from a woman (and still be honored as straight) if what opens the door is unattractive in appearance. In movies and TV shows, they may show a woman smiling with no teeth, which will cause the male to look like a deer caught in the headlights. In real life, we males may express absolute disgust and a annihilation of virility when we encounter an undesirable female. It's a visual thing, that holds true with the female for a male, although the female may not be presented quite as shallow as males in the media.

In contrast, there's an impression given that one has to be careful around a gay male if they are a male....because they are a male....basically...have male organs. And the same with a gay female/lesbian. If us men have to interact with a woman in close quarters (business meeting, counselling, etc.), we generally don't worry about being hit on. If we go on a blind date, we understand that the woman may or may not be attracted to us. But I think men in general will feel far more uncomfortable having to interact with a gay man in some sort of close interaction like aforementioned examples than with a female, because of the idea that their male-ness will cause an uncontrollable, unconditional, independent of physical appearance, sexual desire.
Schzincko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2014 1:22:21 AM
The only stereotypes of homosexuality come from what is seen in the extreme portion of it. That's why straight males may be uncomfortable around gay males, because they jump to the worst conclusion- that they will get hit on. I can't say anything for the side of the ladies, simply because I have not had the same amount of experience to observe anything. I've seen a wide range of personalities from the gay male side in high school and college experiences, I even roomed with one gay guy. Not going any further on the basis that it's irrelevant, I do have to say that gay people definitely have standards, just from knowing him on a roommate level.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2014 6:43:38 PM
I generally stereotype gay males as feminine, but as far as I know that generally holds true despite there being some manly homosexuals out there.
Nolite Timere
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2014 6:47:54 PM
I try not to stereotype people. If I were to stereotype gay people though, it would probably be based on what is displayed in gay pride parades. As far as I'm concerned, it is contradictory to insist not all gay people meet a stereotype, and then willingly stereotype yourself in front of entire cities.