Jump to topic:

"That's So Gay!"

nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2010 6:14:08 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I say this phrase a lot. I was once told off in front of the entire class by the lesbian gym teacher in my high school for saying "That's so gay!" literally the week I handed in an essay in Law class for why the United States should allow gays to marry (Unfortunately, I wasn't even able to say anything in my defence because I was about to cry). In that same month a guy in the school was intentionally hateful to another gay teacher (which was completely wrong and this teacher is my favourite of all time) and that's when the school banned any phrase containing the word "gay" in it.

How offensive is it really? If you're gay, I'd like to know especially: How much does it offend you? (ie. "That's so gay", "You're gay", "Stop being gay")

Who thinks the phrase(s) should be banned (in elementary and seconday schools, etc)? Who thinks that's going too far?
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2010 6:17:30 PM
"That's so retarted!"

People need to lighten up. However, being neither gay nor retarted, I can't speak from personal experience.

Oh, SNL... http://www.hulu.com...
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2010 7:08:36 PM
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2010 8:55:10 PM
Considering that the phrase "that's so gay" is not really targeting gays, it isn't offensive to me.

But to go along lines with the over sensitivity and with the other comment of "that's retarded."

A little back story of mine... (key in the music and the water fade to a black and white image as I look up into the sky)

In the 6th grade I was suspended from school for calling by brother a retard and refusing to appologize. That is how the school put it, which is true, but leaves out some details. In truth, my brother is mentally retarded, legally, from brain damage. I was not trying to be insulting, I was merely pointing out that he is retarded (meaning mentally slow as it is defined). When a teacher told me that I couldn't say stuff like that, I replied with, "but it is true, he is retarded," and refused to say that my brother was not retarded. Needless to say, they told my parents, who, like rational people, removed both me and my brother from that school (at the end of the school year, obviously, not in the middle) and sent us to another school that wasn't so uptight.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2010 9:07:30 PM
OreEle's example is one of oversensitivity. I think most people can agree that using "retard" to mean "retard" and using "gay" to mean "gay" are perfectly okay things to do.

What frustrates many people, however, is that some use "gay" to mean "sh*tty," and that's not cool. That would be like society accepting "black" to mean "bad" or "Asian" to mean "ugly." It isn't fair.

The issue has become so prevalent, that when people say "that's so gay!", more often than not, they are making a point about language than they are making an observation about how sh*tty something is.

I just don't see the point. People can just as easily call sh*tty things "sh*tty." There's no reason to call something "gay," if it's not. To do so is to make a point about language. Why needlessly offend someone?
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2010 9:23:40 PM
At 2/10/2010 9:07:30 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
OreEle's example is one of oversensitivity. I think most people can agree that using "retard" to mean "retard" and using "gay" to mean "gay" are perfectly okay things to do.

What frustrates many people, however, is that some use "gay" to mean "sh*tty," and that's not cool. That would be like society accepting "black" to mean "bad" or "Asian" to mean "ugly." It isn't fair.

The issue has become so prevalent, that when people say "that's so gay!", more often than not, they are making a point about language than they are making an observation about how sh*tty something is.

I just don't see the point. People can just as easily call sh*tty things "sh*tty." There's no reason to call something "gay," if it's not. To do so is to make a point about language. Why needlessly offend someone?

The thing is "homosexual" is not the ONLY meaning of the word "gay" and those other meanings are perfectly fine to use.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2010 10:01:47 PM
At 2/10/2010 9:42:49 PM, Koopin wrote:
Gay originally means happy.

And queer originally meant "weird" and f@g and all these other words.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2010 10:35:41 PM
I really don't mind, because I know people's intentions aren't to gay bash when they say it. It's become a brainless figure of speech. A lot of straight people tend to ask me if I'm offended by the term when they accidently use it in my presence. I always tell them the same thing, "You didn't mean to insult my sexuality by saying it. It's just become a saying started by the ignorant and continued by the thoughtless. No worries."

I usually never hear it again lol.

When we actually look at it, people say, "That's straight," when something is correct or good, and "That's gay" when something is bad. This should automatically set off the gay activist in me. Feminists have the same concern with dichotomies (female's are always associated with "negative" things, while males are associated with "positive" things, etc). This ingrains a society to automatically think in these ways (Just like one automatically says "that's gay" without thinking about it).

To quickly conclude... I wont crucify someone for saying "That's gay." Hell, I say it sometimes. It's a stupid phrase that has stuck with us since childhood (like "That's retarded."). People can't help it. But that doesn't mean that at it's root it's not bad.

But your teachers should have known that you weren't committing hate speech ;) They're far too uptight lol.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2010 10:46:39 PM
At 2/10/2010 10:35:41 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
I really don't mind, because I know people's intentions aren't to gay bash when they say it. It's become a brainless figure of speech. A lot of straight people tend to ask me if I'm offended by the term when they accidently use it in my presence. I always tell them the same thing, "You didn't mean to insult my sexuality by saying it. It's just become a saying started by the ignorant and continued by the thoughtless. No worries."

When we actually look at it, people say, "That's straight," when something is correct or good, and "That's gay" when something is bad. This should automatically set off the gay activist in me. Feminists have the same concern with dichotomies (female's are always associated with "negative" things, while males are associated with "positive" things, etc). This ingrains a society to automatically think in these ways (Just like one automatically says "that's gay" without thinking about it).

To quickly conclude... I wont crucify someone for saying "That's gay." Hell, I say it sometimes. It's a stupid phrase that has stuck with us since childhood (like "That's retarded."). People can't help it. But that doesn't mean that at it's root it's not bad.

But your teachers should have known that you weren't committing hate speech ;) They're far too uptight lol.

Vi, your whole reasoning is gay...
kfc
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2010 11:20:16 PM
When we actually look at it, people say, "That's straight," when something is correct or good

wat
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2010 1:19:43 AM

Haha. I prefer the term 'pants'. OH THAT'S PANTS!
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2010 7:43:45 AM
At 2/10/2010 11:20:16 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
When we actually look at it, people say, "That's straight," when something is correct or good

wat

lol, "Cool" people tend to use the term "straight" about something good. You've never heard someone say this? It's quite common here where I'm from.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2010 7:59:37 AM
At 2/11/2010 7:43:45 AM, Vi_Veri wrote:

wat

lol, "Cool" people tend to use the term "straight" about something good. You've never heard someone say this? It's quite common here where I'm from.

I thought that was used as opposed to being "crooked". lol

To sidetrack a bit, you know how often "black" is associated with "bad" and "evil" and "white" is associated with "goodness" and "purity"? I don't get all uptight when the shining white knight comes to whisk away the princess who was "white as snow" or had an "alabaster brow". The question is at what point should I be offended? (when it comes to "black" being associated with negativity in so many cultures)

And to bring my point back down, at what point should one be offended when the word "gay" is used interchangeably with "stupid" (etc.) in North American colloquialisms?

Oh and thanks, by the way, Vi_Veri for answering the question.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2010 8:05:04 AM
At 2/11/2010 1:19:43 AM, Puck wrote:

Haha. I prefer the term 'pants'. OH THAT'S PANTS!

Haha

To switch it up sometimes I say "Stop being hetero"

In Toronto it's a common thing for certain people (usually among the *ahem* "urban/teenager" population) to say "no homo". Basically, if a guy compliments another guy or a girl compliments another girl they add "no homo" to make it... less homo? And I think that's totally g--stupid. People don't do it as much now, but when they did, I would say things along the lines of "Your boobs look great in this pic! Yes homo."
Itsallovernow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2010 9:23:20 AM
At 2/10/2010 6:14:08 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:
I say this phrase a lot. I was once told off in front of the entire class by the lesbian gym teacher in my high school for saying "That's so gay!" literally the week I handed in an essay in Law class for why the United States should allow gays to marry (Unfortunately, I wasn't even able to say anything in my defence because I was about to cry). In that same month a guy in the school was intentionally hateful to another gay teacher (which was completely wrong and this teacher is my favourite of all time) and that's when the school banned any phrase containing the word "gay" in it.

How offensive is it really? If you're gay, I'd like to know especially: How much does it offend you? (ie. "That's so gay", "You're gay", "Stop being gay")

Who thinks the phrase(s) should be banned (in elementary and seconday schools, etc)? Who thinks that's going too far?

As a self-declared homo, nah, it doesn't bother me. Hell, I even say it in a derogattory fashion myself! It's just some slang that has involved a whole new meaning. If that gym teacher thinks she can change the tides of the world, she's gonna get crushed.

Anyways, I believe that the flamboyancy exhibited by the classic homosexual (can't type traditional words for "gay" on this site), then I think they should be made fun of. It's sick, it's wrong, and it has no pertenance to being gay. It just makes you wierd and disgusting. And THAT is coming from a gay dude himself. Not every gay person is like that. Which is why I got mad at DTK_12 (a wanksta poser yo! LOL) for making a comment on this debate (http://www.debate.org...)

I can't change the image of gay people, due to the ones those flamboyant ones set, much like blondes. The best thing I can do is make my impression in real life, then tell them so that any steriotypes would be met with confliction of their impression of me. That way, they'd know what kind of person I was before they made their descision to hate me or not.

"I don't approve of pinatas; they promote violent acts against flamboyant animals."- Comedy Central
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2010 9:39:53 AM
Not only do I say, "That's gay!" to mean something sucks, but I also yell at my opponents while playing video games online by screaming "Fagg0t!" at the TV and referencing a lesbian I don't like as a "stupid d-yke." I agree with Vi that one's implied intention in saying the word has a lot to do with how people take it. If someone calls me a d-ke, I don't really care because it's true: I am a d-ke lol and so what?

Liking women is nothing to be embarrassed about, so I think it's a really lame insult actually. However the other day when some guy yelled at me while playing a video game online that I was a "stupid d-ke" for no reason (he just knew I was a girl - not a lesbian, btw) I got pissed off because he used that word to insult me. I didn't care about the gay reference but just that he was insulting me in general lol or trying to.

So again, if people don't obviously mean to disrespect someone by using the word then I just accept it as a sad reality of our culture: one that even I've ascribed to and become guilty of using. As a feminist, it sucks that gays and women are always associated with the negative (ie. "You're such a p-ssy! You throw like a girl! You're such a homo!") but again I think as people REALIZE this reality and understand the implications of it, they will make their own decision to avoid saying it... for instance how people usually don't say it around Vi twice even though she doesn't get mad. I dunno - just a thought.
President of DDO
Itsallovernow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2010 9:57:14 AM
At 2/11/2010 9:39:53 AM, theLwerd wrote:
Not only do I say, "That's gay!" to mean something sucks, but I also yell at my opponents while playing video games online by screaming "Fagg0t!" at the TV and referencing a lesbian I don't like as a "stupid d-yke." I agree with Vi that one's implied intention in saying the word has a lot to do with how people take it. If someone calls me a d-ke, I don't really care because it's true: I am a d-ke lol and so what?

Liking women is nothing to be embarrassed about, so I think it's a really lame insult actually. However the other day when some guy yelled at me while playing a video game online that I was a "stupid d-ke" for no reason (he just knew I was a girl - not a lesbian, btw) I got pissed off because he used that word to insult me. I didn't care about the gay reference but just that he was insulting me in general lol or trying to.

So again, if people don't obviously mean to disrespect someone by using the word then I just accept it as a sad reality of our culture: one that even I've ascribed to and become guilty of using. As a feminist, it sucks that gays and women are always associated with the negative (ie. "You're such a p-ssy! You throw like a girl! You're such a homo!") but again I think as people REALIZE this reality and understand the implications of it, they will make their own decision to avoid saying it... for instance how people usually don't say it around Vi twice even though she doesn't get mad. I dunno - just a thought.

...in Jesus's name we pray, A-FREAKING-MEN!!!!!!
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2010 10:20:46 AM
At 2/11/2010 9:39:53 AM, theLwerd wrote:
Not only do I say, "That's gay!" to mean something sucks, but I also yell at my opponents while playing video games online by screaming "Fagg0t!" at the TV...

I had four lovely f-ggots for dinner last night...

http://www.tesco.com...
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2010 11:44:10 AM

wat

wow, I'm only 22 and I've never heard that phrasing.
Scott_Mann
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2010 12:22:32 PM

That's so happy.
The more posts you have, the less value they contain.
Scott_Mann
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2010 12:22:59 PM
At 2/11/2010 12:22:32 PM, Scott_Mann wrote:

That's so happy.

My 69th post. ^
The more posts you have, the less value they contain.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2010 12:27:31 PM
At 2/11/2010 11:44:10 AM, OreEle wrote:

wat

wow, I'm only 22 and I've never heard that phrasing.

I've heard it quite a bit.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2010 12:35:42 PM
The closest thing I've heard to that is the Mormon formulation of "straight arrow." But there is kind of a difference between Mormon and cool.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.