Total Posts:7|Showing Posts:1-7
Jump to topic:

Is Advertising Necessary in Todays Society?

Parisa.I
Posts: 5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2014 6:47:58 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Hi all,

Since the very dawn of marketing, advertising has played a crucial role in civilization, as we know it. In the business world, it is often said "advertising is a necessary evil". I have read that the spendings in 2013 reached an all-time high with 500 billion dollars. It is expected that this trend will continue and spending will rise up to 5,8% in 2015 and 2016.

I found myself wondering if all of this is really necessary. Imagine a world without advertising and all aspects that would come with it. Would the economy survive? What would the effects be on our thoughts and perspectives?

I will be writing a report on this topic and I am very interested in your opinion. Therefore i have create the following statement:

Advertising, in general, is necessary in today"s society.
What are your thoughts on this?
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2014 8:10:47 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/24/2014 6:47:58 AM, Parisa.I wrote:
Hi all,

Since the very dawn of marketing, advertising has played a crucial role in civilization, as we know it. In the business world, it is often said "advertising is a necessary evil". I have read that the spendings in 2013 reached an all-time high with 500 billion dollars. It is expected that this trend will continue and spending will rise up to 5,8% in 2015 and 2016.

I found myself wondering if all of this is really necessary. Imagine a world without advertising and all aspects that would come with it. Would the economy survive? What would the effects be on our thoughts and perspectives?

I will be writing a report on this topic and I am very interested in your opinion. Therefore i have create the following statement:

Advertising, in general, is necessary in today"s society.

Define advertising, and society.
But, yes, it is. Of course it is.
How do you market your product? How do people know you exist?
Try to start a business from scratch, and you will see how important (and expensive) advertising is.

If you are well established, or have a core clientele, then, maybe it isn't too necessary. I think most people can find a grocery store without being told where it is, or having a McDonalds sign is all you need.
My work here is, finally, done.
Parisa.I
Posts: 5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2014 8:16:43 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/24/2014 8:10:47 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 5/24/2014 6:47:58 AM, Parisa.I wrote:
Hi all,

Since the very dawn of marketing, advertising has played a crucial role in civilization, as we know it. In the business world, it is often said "advertising is a necessary evil". I have read that the spendings in 2013 reached an all-time high with 500 billion dollars. It is expected that this trend will continue and spending will rise up to 5,8% in 2015 and 2016.

I found myself wondering if all of this is really necessary. Imagine a world without advertising and all aspects that would come with it. Would the economy survive? What would the effects be on our thoughts and perspectives?

I will be writing a report on this topic and I am very interested in your opinion. Therefore i have create the following statement:

Advertising, in general, is necessary in today"s society.

Define advertising, and society.
But, yes, it is. Of course it is.
How do you market your product? How do people know you exist?
Try to start a business from scratch, and you will see how important (and expensive) advertising is.

If you are well established, or have a core clientele, then, maybe it isn't too necessary. I think most people can find a grocery store without being told where it is, or having a McDonalds sign is all you need.

I do agree with your statement Khaos_Mage. However, some might argue that we do not need all the products that are on the market. According to some, we are 'brainwashed' to need all these items that are not actually necessary. Do you disagree with these type of statements?
What are your thoughts on this?
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2014 8:26:06 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/24/2014 8:16:43 AM, Parisa.I wrote:

I do agree with your statement Khaos_Mage. However, some might argue that we do not need all the products that are on the market. According to some, we are 'brainwashed' to need all these items that are not actually necessary. Do you disagree with these type of statements?

Need is a strong word, and people, Americans in particular, are stupid.
However, forget about items, and focus on services.
How does one find a dentist, doctor, dog groomer, mechanic, insurance, etc.?
Things that are necessary, like car parts, food, and what not?
Things that are improvements over other items, like "seamless" gutters, more efficient furnaces or water softeners, or even medicine?

Advertising, in its simplest form, is to inform people of its (item's, business's, service's) existence. This may include an attempt to convince you this product is better than another.

Also, you figures are strange.
You say $500 billion, but it will go up to 5.8%. 5.8% of what?
My work here is, finally, done.
Parisa.I
Posts: 5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2014 8:36:19 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Need is a strong word, and people, Americans in particular, are stupid.
However, forget about items, and focus on services.
How does one find a dentist, doctor, dog groomer, mechanic, insurance, etc.?
Things that are necessary, like car parts, food, and what not?
Things that are improvements over other items, like "seamless" gutters, more efficient furnaces or water softeners, or even medicine?

Advertising, in its simplest form, is to inform people of its (item's, business's, service's) existence. This may include an attempt to convince you this product is better than another.

Also, you figures are strange.
You say $500 billion, but it will go up to 5.8%. 5.8% of what?

I get your point, and looking at it from the informational perspective it might indeed be necessary. However, the main goal of commercial advertising is to persuade people to 'buy'. Do you consider this part unnecessary?

Apologies if that statement is unclear. The figures mean that in 2013 500 billion dollar was spend on advertising. In the coming years (2015 and 2016) this number is expected to rise with 5,8 percent. So, it is expected to rise to about 530 billion dollars.
What are your thoughts on this?
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2014 9:03:26 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/24/2014 8:36:19 AM, Parisa.I wrote:
Need is a strong word, and people, Americans in particular, are stupid.
However, forget about items, and focus on services.
How does one find a dentist, doctor, dog groomer, mechanic, insurance, etc.?
Things that are necessary, like car parts, food, and what not?
Things that are improvements over other items, like "seamless" gutters, more efficient furnaces or water softeners, or even medicine?

Advertising, in its simplest form, is to inform people of its (item's, business's, service's) existence. This may include an attempt to convince you this product is better than another.

Also, you figures are strange.
You say $500 billion, but it will go up to 5.8%. 5.8% of what?

I get your point, and looking at it from the informational perspective it might indeed be necessary. However, the main goal of commercial advertising is to persuade people to 'buy'. Do you consider this part unnecessary?

For businesses with a core clientele, largely, yes, if surviving is the goal.
If thriving and growth (or market dominance) is, then suggesting to act now if important. Plus, Americans are short sighted and often disloyal. Who doesn't know about Geico, Progressive, Allstate, etc., yet ads are all over the place? Because of turnaround, and by keeping their business in the recent memory, it influences people, I guess.

Advertising rarely works on me, so I've never understood it's effect. I see through the doublespeak and what not. But, the same is true of politicians' BS, and people fall for that all the time too.

But, it is what it is.
Keep in mind that if you have employees, you need to pay them no matter what, so you NEED to make sure there is revenue.
The smaller the business, the less dire advertising is, if you have the clientele.

Apologies if that statement is unclear. The figures mean that in 2013 500 billion dollar was spend on advertising. In the coming years (2015 and 2016) this number is expected to rise with 5,8 percent. So, it is expected to rise to about 530 billion dollars.

That's what I thought you meant.
My work here is, finally, done.
nicraM
Posts: 21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2014 6:59:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Yes, advertising is a necessary evil but the extent that firms go to pebble their wares is scary.

They have it down to a science. Literally.

http://www.siop.org...

John Broadus Watson, I-O Psychologist

Diane F. DiClemente and Donald A. Hantula
Temple University

John B. Watson (1878-1958) was one of the most well known early psychologists whose work and professional relationships spanned the field from comparative psychology (e.g. Watson, 1908a, 1909b; Watson & Lashley, 1915), experimental psychology (e.g. Watson 1907), sensory psychology (Watson, 1909a) to behavioral psychology (Watson & Rayner, 1920). Indeed, the terms "behavioral" and "experimental" are often used to describe Watson and his work, and they have overshadowed his contributions to I-O psychology. Thus, it may surprise many to find that Watson was involved in applied psychological research throughout most of his life, but his contributions to the field of I-O psychology have often been overlooked despite the fact that many of his ideas endure today.

Watson's career in advertising is usually discussed in relation to his applied psychology work, but what may be most unexpected about Watson's work in applied psychology is that it did not inspire the current behavior analytic consumer psychology literature with active research programs in classical conditioning (e.g. Tom, 1995) and operant conditioning (e.g. Lindsley, 1962; Foxall 1994). Although his best-known applied work was in advertising, it was his accomplishments in personnel selection and management that continue to have an effect today. In this paper we present Watson's largely unknown contributions to I-O psychology, especially in personnel selection, with the majority of this research garnered from documents that contain many of Watson's original writings from the Watson files in the Library of Congress.

Read the "Advertising man" excerpt. Pretty enlightening.