Jump to topic:

Hallmark Hookers

bringoutyourdead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2010 7:57:01 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Does anyone else here seriously despise the concept of getting and giving cards?

I feel like people are hiring other people to say something they cant. For petes sake if your proud of me just tell me. I don't want some gay as$ card with your name signed.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2010 7:59:16 PM
Cards tend to have free money folded in them so hell no it's awesome.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2010 8:02:22 PM
people tend to react to that better than to scribbled notebook paper... i like my friends to react well to me... so....

then again do i really need friends who care if i buy them a card or not?

a true conundrum...
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
bringoutyourdead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2010 8:04:45 PM
At 2/12/2010 7:59:16 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

haha just hand me the free money, don't make me pretend to read your card that you took a glance at and bought.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2010 8:32:12 PM
At 2/12/2010 8:04:45 PM, bringoutyourdead wrote:

haha just hand me the free money, don't make me pretend to read your card that you took a glance at and bought.

But they wouldn't do that, and it's a rather high wage to effort ratio.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
bringoutyourdead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2010 8:33:31 PM
At 2/12/2010 8:32:12 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

why cant they just fold a piece of paper and write "here's your fu*in money" on the inside. I'd be just as satisfied.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2010 8:35:39 PM
At 2/12/2010 8:33:31 PM, bringoutyourdead wrote:

why cant they just fold a piece of paper and write "here's your fu*in money" on the inside. I'd be just as satisfied.

But they wouldn't, and as a result they'd stop giving you money, and as a result no you wouldn't be just as satisfied.
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2010 8:36:23 PM
At 2/12/2010 8:33:31 PM, bringoutyourdead wrote:

Sure, but that's just you. I'm sure many people appreciate getting a card - how much they appreciate it, who cares. Fact remains that people like it and it sells.
bringoutyourdead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2010 8:46:52 PM
At 2/12/2010 8:36:23 PM, TheSkeptic wrote:
Sure, but that's just you. I'm sure many people appreciate getting a card - how much they appreciate it, who cares. Fact remains that people like it and it sells.

I'm not proposing to outlaw them. I'm just asking: Am I the only one that despises getting and giving cards?
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2010 8:40:48 AM
I never give cards. I used to always forget to get one when I was younger, but then this past year I just told people, straight up, I will not be getting you a card. They're pointless and waste of money most of the time. The person just ends up throwing them out (unless they're from a significant other). And if I get a card, it's from the dollar store or something and I put my own message in it.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2010 9:01:49 AM
I don't mind giving or receiving cards, especially if its from some remote family members or from an organization you've worked for. I could see why talking in person or on the phone might have more meaning, but I also realize that not everyone has the time nor the money nor the exact want to do that. Cards are a simple, safe, yet still slightly meaningful way to send out a positive message of some sort.

I mean, to honestly get upset over receiving a card is pretty cynical. Do none of you people simply enjoy your lives?
bringoutyourdead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2010 1:24:03 PM
I fail to see how its cynical. It's just insincere and I hate that. Would you like people to tell you good job if they don't really know or care if you did a good job?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2010 1:37:59 PM
At 2/13/2010 1:24:03 PM, bringoutyourdead wrote:
I fail to see how its cynical. It's just insincere and I hate that. Would you like people to tell you good job if they don't really know or care if you did a good job?

I might question their sincerity, sure, but I'd at least realize that they did take the time to send something to me, and that at least there was some acknowledgment of my existence. And really, I don't know what kind of family you have, but any cards I get are always meaningful with specific details and done with care.

And it is indeed "cynical" to take a completely negative view of what most of the time ends up being a meaningful way to send a message to someone. I mean, if you get a birthday card from your wife/girlfriend/whatever, are you going to criticize her for doing it?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2010 1:40:42 PM
At 2/13/2010 8:40:48 AM, TulleKrazy wrote:
They're pointless and waste of money most of the time. The person just ends up throwing them out (unless they're from a significant other). And if I get a card, it's from the dollar store or something and I put my own message in it.

Yep.

My best friend and I always make it a point to give each other cards we made ourselves out of loose leaf paper. We write what we want to say inside, and sometimes draw on them (color if we're feeling bored lol). We also give each other gifts in grocery bags instead of wrapping paper or worse that tissue paper they make you buy to put in a 'fancier' bag.
President of DDO
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2010 1:47:19 PM
At 2/13/2010 1:37:59 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 2/13/2010 1:24:03 PM, bringoutyourdead wrote:

I might question their sincerity, sure, but I'd at least realize that they did take the time to send something to me, and that at least there was some acknowledgment of my existence. And really, I don't know what kind of family you have, but any cards I get are always meaningful with specific details and done with care.

And it is indeed "cynical" to take a completely negative view of what most of the time ends up being a meaningful way to send a message to someone. I mean, if you get a birthday card from your wife/girlfriend/whatever, are you going to criticize her for doing it?

Ohh we're talking about sending cards? I was talking about giving them with gifts :p I give out Christmas cards with candy canes inside to people I work with and whatnot, but to people I actually get gifts for I don't do cards--Only for my boyfriend and my parents, because I have something to say in them... what I meant is it's pointless to get a card for someone's birthday (with their gift) and only write "Happy Birthday"
bringoutyourdead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2010 6:46:55 AM
At 2/13/2010 1:37:59 PM, Volkov wrote:
I mean, if you get a birthday card from your wife/girlfriend/whatever, are you going to criticize her for doing it?

My girlfriend's cards are either homemade or have a paragraph written on the inside of how happy I've made her etc. She actually writes how she feels inside of them, never received one from her with just her name signed.

I only hand-make the cards I give people. Otherwise I give an envelope with cash (birthday party/office party etc)