Jump to topic:

Why do the poor have so many children?

theatheistman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 1:38:46 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
From what I can see many poor people have children they know they can't afford and then neglect them or raise them impoverished. Why would one do that? I am constantly baffled by this problem!
HumbleThinker1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 6:37:42 AM
At 6/4/2014 1:38:46 AM, theatheistman wrote:
From what I can see many poor people have children they know they can't afford and then neglect them or raise them impoverished. Why would one do that? I am constantly baffled by this problem!

This has been a trend for quite some time (at least centuries). As SES factors increase, birth rate tends to decrease on average. But as SES factors decrease, birth rate tends to increase on average. Part of it is lack of availability to cheap contraception and family planning services. Part of it is lack of education, particularly among women. Part of it is trying to produce able bodies that will hopefully will be able to work and earn the family income in the future. There are other reasons as well.

I think you may be forgetting that humans are not purely rational creatures, so not being able to afford to raise them properly isn't going to be the determining factor in whether to have children or not. Also, a large percentage of children are unplanned if I remember my statistics correctly.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 7:35:35 AM

It would help if you defined "poor".
A few reasons, which can be interrelated, but not exhibited by all:
1. Having children makes you poor (they cost money)
2. You get more money from others
3. Since most poor people are poor for a reason, stupidity is one. Have you ever seen the movie Idiocracy?
4. Some people have a hardship, and with children, it exasperates the problem.
5. Children are hella expensive when all parents are working.
My work here is, finally, done.
theatheistman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 5:10:03 PM
At 6/4/2014 7:35:35 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

3. Since most poor people are poor for a reason, stupidity is one. Have you ever seen the movie Idiocracy?

I simply can't understand why a person would have a second, third or fourth child if they are struggling with the first one. I feel as if this goes beyond stupidity and falls into the category of carelessness.
Crescendo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 8:32:21 PM

When you are poor, you don't have much. But poor people want that one thing which will give their miserable lives meaning and joy: a family.
We rich people (Americans) so love our luxuries that we don't desire that which would take away from our money.

I commend the poor who have children. They shall inherit the earth. Literally.
My View of the World:
http://www.debate.org...

My Greatest Debate (As of so far):
http://www.debate.org...
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 10:52:08 PM
At 6/4/2014 5:10:03 PM, theatheistman wrote:

I simply can't understand why a person would have a second, third or fourth child if they are struggling with the first one. I feel as if this goes beyond stupidity and falls into the category of carelessness.

Since you failed to read the first time, I'll give you one more chance.

First, define "poor".
Second, to your new comment, it is easy to understand if you realize why they have the first child, if they can't afford to.
theatheistman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2014 9:58:40 PM
At 6/4/2014 10:52:08 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 6/4/2014 5:10:03 PM, theatheistman wrote:

Since you failed to read the first time, I'll give you one more chance.

First, define "poor".
Second, to your new comment, it is easy to understand if you realize why they have the first child, if they can't afford to.

Poor as in without a actual "living wage". Under or near the poverty level.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2014 10:57:47 PM
At 6/5/2014 9:58:40 PM, theatheistman wrote:

Poor as in without a actual "living wage". Under or near the poverty level.

You are aware having a child increases the wage one needs to not be in poverty, right?
Also, do you factor in deadbeat dads?
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2014 10:59:05 PM
This is from my friend Amy. Not me:

No entertainment.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2014 11:02:51 PM
There are religious folks who have kids to serve god, without regard to earthly consequences.
0x5f3759df
SPENCERJOYAGE14
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2014 11:11:46 PM
At 6/4/2014 8:32:21 PM, Crescendo wrote:

When you are poor, you don't have much. But poor people want that one thing which will give their miserable lives meaning and joy: a family.
We rich people (Americans) so love our luxuries that we don't desire that which would take away from our money.

I fully agree with you on that. Life isn't about being the biggest and the best. It has more meaning to that and it's sad most people forget that.

Like in the movie The Fiddler on the Roof, the father is upset that a poor tailor wants to marry his daughter and Motel says, "That's true, Reb Tevye, but even a poor tailor is entitled to some happiness!"

In our day and age we forget that. It's better to be poor with people who love you then poor alone.
I'm so fancy, you already know.
HumbleThinker1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 6:50:43 AM
At 6/5/2014 11:11:46 PM, SPENCERJOYAGE14 wrote:

I fully agree with you on that. Life isn't about being the biggest and the best. It has more meaning to that and it's sad most people forget that.

Like in the movie The Fiddler on the Roof, the father is upset that a poor tailor wants to marry his daughter and Motel says, "That's true, Reb Tevye, but even a poor tailor is entitled to some happiness!"

In our day and age we forget that. It's better to be poor with people who love you then poor alone.

But is that fair to all parties involved? If I bring a child into this world that I cannot possibly support, is that fair to the child just because I wanted to be with people who love me? Wouldn't finding other people who I connect with be much more reasonable? Love is important, but it doesn't override other concerns such as money, ability to care for, compatibility (in the case of deciding to marry), etc.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 10:37:00 AM

I question the opposite. Why do the rich have so few children?
SPENCERJOYAGE14
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 2:49:02 PM
At 6/6/2014 6:50:43 AM, HumbleThinker1 wrote:
At 6/5/2014 11:11:46 PM, SPENCERJOYAGE14 wrote:

But is that fair to all parties involved? If I bring a child into this world that I cannot possibly support, is that fair to the child just because I wanted to be with people who love me? Wouldn't finding other people who I connect with be much more reasonable? Love is important, but it doesn't override other concerns such as money, ability to care for, compatibility (in the case of deciding to marry), etc.

You have to remember I never claimed it to be fair, just understandable. You also have to look at all the possible reasons they had kids. Are we talking about developing world or a developed world? Are we talking about people who live on 12 frozen burritos for 2$ or people who are starving to death?

In the developing world the possibilities could be:
Infant and youth mortality is high, so having many kids ensures more chance that some will make it.
For poor families, more kids means more workers for the family that might bring home money and food.

In the developed world it could be that:
More kids means a better opportunity one will become successful and will bring the family large amounts of income.
They grew up with 5 siblings. An adult is likely to want as many kids as the family they grew up in had not realizing he toll it takes.
More children could lead to better social benefits.
A single parent could have a child from different spouses/relationships.
They don"t go to college so they don"t get free condoms. Birth control is expensive.
They are part of a religion that teaches that children are a blessing and with a loving family you are rich.
I'm so fancy, you already know.