Jump to topic:

What is Feminism and why?

Rafael09ED
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 10:36:39 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I can't find many answers to this topic, if someone could post URLs to explain or post details here it will help my understanding.
- What is Feminism?
- What do Feminists want as an end goal?
- How do Feminists plan to carry out that goal with detail?
Questions derived from my understanding:
- How are women's rights different from men's rights?
- Can/should men and women be fully equal?
HumbleThinker1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 11:45:08 AM
At 6/4/2014 10:36:39 AM, Rafael09ED wrote:
I can't find many answers to this topic, if someone could post URLs to explain or post details here it will help my understanding.
- What is Feminism?

Just like everything else, there are different strands of feminism, some of which can be in direct conflict with each other. The Playboy era is a good example. On the one hand, Hugh Heffner was employing women when it was hard for them to get work and was portraying them outside of the tight conservative house-wife box men had put them in at the time. Women COULDN'T be sexual at the time. And one strand of feminism greatly applauded Hugh for this.

But there was another strand that said Playboy was objectifying women and thus disempowering them. The previously mentioned strand of course claimed that Playboy was sexually liberating them. Personally, it's hard to see how sexuallizing women is any more or less objectification than forcing them into the house-wife paradigm. The general moral seems to be that forcing anyone into any sort of paradigm is wrong, while the simple expression that they can choose to model themselves after any one paradigm or a mix is right.

As far as men and women being equal? Not as we use the word equal these days. Equity is much more logical. Equal treatment only makes sense in areas where the conditions are equal, such as equal pay for equal work. As long as the work of a man and a woman are the same, they should be paid the same, or at least have the ability to be paid the same if they are in an environment with regular wage negotiations. But a man clearly does not need gynecological care just as a woman doesn't need penial care, so equity here is the correct course.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 2:52:26 PM
At 6/4/2014 10:36:39 AM, Rafael09ED wrote:
- What is Feminism?

Feminism is a collection of movements and ideologies aimed at defining, establishing, and defending equal political, economic, cultural, and social rights for women. This includes seeking to establish equal opportunities for women in education and employment. A feminist advocates or supports the rights and equality of women.

You might also hear that there have been three waves of feminism. The article I've linked expands more on those three waves and how they differ from one another.
http://www.pacificu.edu...

Article above answers that, if my own response before that didn't.

Also included in article above.

In real terms, they are the physically inferior sex and have, for the most part, always depended on men for protection. So we had always viewed them as lesser than us (men) due to this. There is also religious practices that support women being beneath men, and sometimes these practices and traditions might influence laws including rights given to individuals.

Can they? No, not in terms of physical ability. Should they? Yes, perhaps in a career, mental and emotional spectrum. In fact, I'd argue that women are better tuned for emotional awareness than men. So it somewhat trades off although ultimately physical strength wins the fights once words cease to make a difference.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...