Do More People Prefer Virtual Communities

R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2014 12:06:49 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
... to real ones?

Wiki has a Virtual Communities page - there are something like 50 different groups they list: http://en.wikipedia.org...

DDO is not listed. (I'm guessing that is due to the volume of active users?)

1) Will many more people conduct their professional and personal lives primarily online? Will many more people resist this lifestyle change? How significant will this decision become?

2) Is a switch to virtual a good change for society? Will the benefit of being able to reach out to people thousands of miles away outweigh the benefit of spending that time on the people who are in you physical locale?
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2014 6:52:29 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/18/2014 12:06:49 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
... to real ones?

I think virtual interactions are neither as good nor as bad as real ones. Virtual conversations are less boring because you don't get trapped in them in the same way. You can avoid topics that don't interest you, but you can't in real life.

But the real world has eye contact and facial expressions. Sometimes, in a group, people can be fascinating even when they're not saying anything at all, or by the way they smile at you. Sometimes, in the real world, there's not enough space for ideas. Personally, I prefer to read ideas rather than hear someone say them - it's much faster and more precise. On the other hand, sometimes hearing someone say something can get to you in a way that reading stuff doesn't.

Wiki has a Virtual Communities page - there are something like 50 different groups they list: http://en.wikipedia.org...

DDO is not listed. (I'm guessing that is due to the volume of active users?)

1) Will many more people conduct their professional and personal lives primarily online? Will many more people resist this lifestyle change? How significant will this decision become?

Already face-to-face contact has this significance that I don't think it used to have. It's almost like, if people are agreeing to meet with you, you have privileged status. It has a kind of formality, almost, that it didn't use to have. And the sad thing is, it IS kind of magical to meet up with people.

2) Is a switch to virtual a good change for society? Will the benefit of being able to reach out to people thousands of miles away outweigh the benefit of spending that time on the people who are in you physical locale?

Yeah - everywhere I go, people are on their phones. If I see someone I know and they're on their phone, I usually don't bother to say hello. But that's their own choice. Maybe if it weren't for that they could put up barriers in other ways.

Hopefully it's not either/or.