Jump to topic:

School Shootings

Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2010 9:40:22 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
So, my school just had another shooting this morning at 4 am at the dorms. The shooter is in custody with 1 injured (thanks to our increased security from our last shooting on Valentines day 2 years ago --> http://www.cnn.com...)

Classes are still in session.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2010 9:42:51 AM
yikes, was it a random shooting or someone trying to hurt someone specifically??
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2010 9:43:34 AM
people suck
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2010 9:43:47 AM
At 2/19/2010 9:42:32 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
Is it on the Internet?

http://www.nowpublic.com...

Yeah, media is here at the school now, though, so there should be more news as the day progresses.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2010 9:45:16 AM
At 2/19/2010 9:42:51 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
yikes, was it a random shooting or someone trying to hurt someone specifically??

Seems to be an isolated incident. A lot of the students are saying it's South Side Chicago drama being brought down to campus. Really pisses me off.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2010 9:51:51 AM
At 2/19/2010 9:48:26 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
Is it for real* or people paying with guns?

*By real, I mean shooting with criminal intent.

you mean not like Burress

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2010 9:52:35 AM
At 2/19/2010 9:51:51 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

then again you're from London....

you mean not like some stupid dude who shot himself in the leg.

Metaphysics:
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2010 9:57:49 AM
At 2/19/2010 9:52:35 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 2/19/2010 9:51:51 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

then again you're from London....

you mean not like some stupid dude who shot himself in the leg.

Only the richest of the rich white people can have guns in england. Even our gangsters, Ghetto or Mafia don't.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2010 9:58:55 AM
At 2/19/2010 9:45:16 AM, Vi_Veri wrote:
At 2/19/2010 9:42:51 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

Seems to be an isolated incident. A lot of the students are saying it's South Side Chicago drama being brought down to campus. Really pisses me off.

No, it's not South Side drama. It's South Side trash. These are the ghetto hood rats who are given government funds to attend college when they have NO REAL DESIRE TO LEARN because they are somehow "entitled" to be at your school since they're poor and black. You can take the kid outta the ghetto but not the ghetto outta the kid.
President of DDO
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2010 10:09:52 AM
At 2/19/2010 9:57:49 AM, Zetsubou wrote:

Only the richest of the rich white people can have guns in england.
lol

Metaphysics:
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2010 10:11:40 AM

Only the richest of the rich white people can have guns in england. Even our gangsters, Ghetto or Mafia don't.

Lol. If everyone on that campus had a gun that shooting wouldn't have occurred
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2010 10:24:45 AM
At 2/19/2010 10:11:40 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

That's a terrible statement to make.

The argument that crime (including those involving guns) is reduced when others have access to guns is true, but you cannot make this definite statement about that particular scenario... especially when we don't yet know why this happened. From what I can tell, BOTH people had guns, so...
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2010 10:25:29 AM

Uh, first of all, upper-end mafioso and gangster's tend to be RICH. Second, sure they have guns. They have them illegally.
President of DDO
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2010 10:30:16 AM
At 2/19/2010 10:24:45 AM, theLwerd wrote:

That's a terrible statement to make.

The argument that crime (including those involving guns) is reduced when others have access to guns is true, but you cannot make this definite statement about that particular scenario... especially when we don't yet know why this happened. From what I can tell, BOTH people had guns, so...

And if a nearby third party had a gun then either of those party's wouldn't be allowed act without severe repercussions :).

Damn I feel like Ragnar right about now
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2010 10:32:37 AM
At 2/19/2010 10:30:16 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

And if a nearby third party had a gun then either of those party's wouldn't be allowed act without severe repercussions :).

in the first case 2 years ago, the dude shot himself.. prolly not too worried about the severe repercussions huh?

now would he have been stopped sooner??
most likely.

Metaphysics:
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2010 10:34:06 AM

Yeah that must be why this argument doesn't hold up :p

A) Just because other people would be ALLOWED to have guns doesn't mean that they WOULD have guns. If I wanted to legally own a gun now I could, but I don't. And neither do most people - especially those living in a relatively commercial college town.

B) I'm sure more people in the area had guns at the time. There's a lot of gang-affiliated kids living in that area.

C) If these 2 people had guns and were knowingly shooting at each other anyway, what makes you think they wouldn't if someone else was there with a gun?
President of DDO
curious18
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2010 10:36:51 AM

yeah, cuase that makes about as much sense as if I borrow enough debt, I won't be poor.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2010 10:39:18 AM
At 2/19/2010 10:36:51 AM, curious18 wrote:

yeah, cuase that makes about as much sense as if I borrow enough debt, I won't be poor.

That is possibly the worst analogy ever.

If everyone has a gun, who is going to shoot someone?
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2010 10:40:55 AM
At 2/19/2010 10:34:06 AM, theLwerd wrote:

Yeah that must be why this argument doesn't hold up :p

A) Just because other people would be ALLOWED to have guns doesn't mean that they WOULD have guns. If I wanted to legally own a gun now I could, but I don't. And neither do most people - especially those living in a relatively commercial college town.

They would do it on the compulsive that person is a dangerous individual and it is in their best interest to keep him subdued.

B) I'm sure more people in the area had guns at the time. There's a lot of gang-affiliated kids living in that area.

But they have less than honest intentions. Besides, ghetto kids probably wouldn't get into college with a proper sytsem in place.

C) If these 2 people had guns and were knowingly shooting at each other anyway, what makes you think they wouldn't if someone else was there with a gun?

Again, on the compulsion that individual is dangerous.
curious18
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2010 10:45:10 AM
At 2/19/2010 10:39:18 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

everyone. Someone angry person is going to shoot his target because he made up is mind that he is gonna do it, and everyong instictfully pulls out their gun and starts shooting. There will be people who didn't actually see the incident, only heard the gun shots and so pulled out their gun and ran to the scene where they see the original gunman and a few other people shooting so they just start shooting a person with a gun. Why? Just because they have a gun does not mean they are fully trained law officials that know how to make smart decisions when in a dangerous situation.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2010 11:01:15 AM
At 2/19/2010 10:45:10 AM, curious18 wrote:

everyone. Someone angry person is going to shoot his target because he made up is mind that he is gonna do it, and everyong instictfully pulls out their gun and starts shooting. There will be people who didn't actually see the incident, only heard the gun shots and so pulled out their gun and ran to the scene where they see the original gunman and a few other people shooting so they just start shooting a person with a gun. Why? Just because they have a gun does not mean they are fully trained law officials that know how to make smart decisions when in a dangerous situation.

People who are angry and want to kill will acquire a gun through illegal means And then people don't have a mean to defend themselves should law enforcement not be around. I'd rather a shoot out than a duck hunt.
curious18
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2010 11:07:14 AM
At 2/19/2010 11:01:15 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

People who are angry and want to kill will acquire a gun through illegal means And then people don't have a mean to defend themselves should law enforcement not be around. I'd rather a shoot out than a duck hunt.

Many won't, many actually will choose a knife or posion, so they lower their risk of getting caught before they can do their horrible deed. And many people that want to kill someone have a particular target and only go after that one target, so it isn't a "duck hunt," though from crazy gun owners that long to be John McClanes or Rambos and go kill the bad guy and be a hero and end up shooting every other person with a gun. Because, unlike in video games that they all love to play, there is no marker that indicates who the good guys and who the bad guys are. Heck, they wouldn't even know how many bad guys were. They'd just be around the corner, here some shooting and just join in. Leading to a number of injuries and deaths for absolutely no reason.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2010 11:35:52 AM
At 2/19/2010 11:07:14 AM, curious18 wrote:

Many won't, many actually will choose a knife or posion, so they lower their risk of getting caught before they can do their horrible deed.

If they do that, they aren't using gun. So why bring it up?

And many people that want to kill someone have a particular target and only go after that one target, so it isn't a "duck hunt," though from crazy gun owners that long to be John McClanes or Rambos and go kill the bad guy and be a hero and end up shooting every other person with a gun. Because, unlike in video games that they all love to play, there is no marker that indicates who the good guys and who the bad guys are. Heck, they wouldn't even know how many bad guys were. They'd just be around the corner, here some shooting and just join in. Leading to a number of injuries and deaths for absolutely no reason.

What video games? Call of duty fails you for shooting your own guys :P.

Besides, most angry people tend to go on rampages. And if that persons innocent target is unarmed, then he is a sitting duck.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2010 12:10:46 PM
At 2/19/2010 10:40:55 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

They would do it on the compulsive that person is a dangerous individual and it is in their best interest to keep him subdued.

... Huh? I pointed out that guns are legal and that I could own a gun if I wanted to, but I choose not to. I said that most people DON'T walk around with guns even though we CAN. But anyway, how does this really make sense? If Person A had a gun and Person B had a gun, but they shot at each other anyway, then Person C getting involved would just mean there was another person involved in the shooting (thus there would probably be more injuries). FYI I'm Con gun control...

But they have less than honest intentions. Besides, ghetto kids probably wouldn't get into college with a proper sytsem in place.

Lol WELL THEY'RE HERE thanks to liberal policies that get them into college for FREE despite them barely being able to read and write. Not to mention the Second Chance program which gives ghetto kids who get kicked out of school a second opportunity to succeed because poor them - being black and from the hood is hard so they deserve preferential treatment!

...? But they're shooting at EACH OTHER who are also armed and dangerous.
President of DDO
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2010 12:26:52 PM
At 2/19/2010 12:10:46 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 2/19/2010 10:40:55 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

... Huh? I pointed out that guns are legal and that I could own a gun if I wanted to, but I choose not to. I said that most people DON'T walk around with guns even though we CAN. But anyway, how does this really make sense? If Person A had a gun and Person B had a gun, but they shot at each other anyway, then Person C getting involved would just mean there was another person involved in the shooting (thus there would probably be more injuries). FYI I'm Con gun control...

Person C can assess the situation and take out anyone who he perceives as a danger.

Lol WELL THEY'RE HERE thanks to liberal policies that get them into college for FREE despite them barely being able to read and write. Not to mention the Second Chance program which gives ghetto kids who get kicked out of school a second opportunity to succeed because poor them - being black and from the hood is hard so they deserve preferential treatment!

Which I don't support We're talking abotu Pandaland here :P.

...? But they're shooting at EACH OTHER who are also armed and dangerous.

So then it's 1 less armed and dangerous person in the word.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2010 5:38:20 PM

True 'dat.

Ever seen the end of a Tarantino movie?
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2010 6:49:19 PM

Hello Wild West?