Total Posts:20|Showing Posts:1-20
Jump to topic:

Detroit

Lukas
Posts: 110
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2010 2:11:05 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Any cats on here from Detroit. I'm interested because I'm slightly fascinated with the place. I can see massive parallels to my own town Birmingham, both 'motowns' and both heavily industrialised. Both culturally diverse. Musically, heavy metal came out of Birmingham and techno out of Detroit, both are uncompromising cult sounds with a definite industrial identity. Would love to hear from anyone who could tell me what its like as a citizen of motown.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2010 2:21:26 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
My ex is from Michigan. Detroit sucks. The city is bankrupt; violent crime is rampant; most people who live there were auto-workers whom are now out of jobs (hence the poverty); etc. It might be urban but there's no "culture" there.
President of DDO
Lukas
Posts: 110
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2010 2:32:57 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/25/2010 2:21:26 PM, theLwerd wrote:
My ex is from Michigan. Detroit sucks. The city is bankrupt; violent crime is rampant; most people who live there were auto-workers whom are now out of jobs (hence the poverty); etc. It might be urban but there's no "culture" there.

oookay, sounds a bit like Birmingham to be fair. Since the automotive industry went there are large parts of the city where there is literally no hope and plenty of heroin. In fact both myself and feverish work at Rover, which at one time was a massive factory and subsequent employer. Since that's gone there are parts of Birmingham where three generations of men are out of work. I still love the place though and always will, I wonder if people from Detroit feel the same?

What's Chicago like?
Lukas
Posts: 110
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2010 2:34:47 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/25/2010 2:32:57 PM, Lukas wrote:
At 2/25/2010 2:21:26 PM, theLwerd wrote:
My ex is from Michigan. Detroit sucks. The city is bankrupt; violent crime is rampant; most people who live there were auto-workers whom are now out of jobs (hence the poverty); etc. It might be urban but there's no "culture" there.

oookay, sounds a bit like Birmingham to be fair. Since the automotive industry went there are large parts of the city where there is literally no hope and plenty of heroin. In fact both myself and feverish work at Rover, which at one time was a massive factory and subsequent employer. Since that's gone there are parts of Birmingham where three generations of men are out of work. I still love the place though and always will, I wonder if people from Detroit feel the same?

What's Chicago like?

worked at Rover, I mean! No longer, thank god!
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2010 2:40:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I'm from New York City and I've only been to Chi Town a few times. Chicago is similar but smaller. I definitely hear you about the auto industry going under and turning everything to crap though. The thing is, Detroit wasn't anywhere near as big or attractive as either of those 2 cities even before it went bankrupt. I don't think people from Detroit have a deep allegiance or love for it. I think they're just feeling helpless and desperate.
President of DDO
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2010 2:42:32 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Chicago is also much cleaner, it smells better, the people are totally different (they don't have that NY'er attitude I'm familiar with) and the architecture is nicer. It's a pretty city but it gives a lonely vibe according to my roommate and I even though it's not small or isolated.
President of DDO
Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2010 2:59:49 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I live in the Tri-Cities area of Michigan, which is about 3 hours from Detroit, Lwerd has is right. It is a cesspool of a city. I'm fairly sure that it is, or recently was, ranked in the top 10 most dangerous cities in America. Your curiosity about the town is best left to be satisfied from a distance. Here's a personal story about the 'bad' parts:

We got lost a few years ago while driving in Detroit. As we were driving we pulled onto a street and there was a man walking on the sidewalk. He had, draped over his shoulder, a double-barreled shotgun. Nothing happened, but it scared the s*** out of us. The weird part of this is thay Detroi isn't even the worst city in Michihan...
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2010 3:01:53 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/25/2010 2:59:49 PM, Korashk wrote:
I live in the Tri-Cities area of Michigan, which is about 3 hours from Detroit, Lwerd has is right. It is a cesspool of a city. I'm fairly sure that it is, or recently was, ranked in the top 10 most dangerous cities in America. Your curiosity about the town is best left to be satisfied from a distance. Here's a personal story about the 'bad' parts:

We got lost a few years ago while driving in Detroit. As we were driving we pulled onto a street and there was a man walking on the sidewalk. He had, draped over his shoulder, a double-barreled shotgun. Nothing happened, but it scared the s*** out of us. The weird part of this is thay _Detroit_ isn't even the worst city in _Michigan_...
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2010 3:28:53 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/25/2010 3:07:17 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Michigan could be cool but it needs a lot of work. What city do you think is worse? Flint?

I was wrong, according to the 2009 statistics Detroit is worse than Flint now. Saginaw is also pretty bad.

http://os.cqpress.com...
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
feverish
Posts: 2,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2010 12:20:44 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/25/2010 2:32:57 PM, Lukas wrote:
At 2/25/2010 2:21:26 PM, theLwerd wrote:
It might be urban but there's no "culture" there.

oookay, sounds a bit like Birmingham to be fair.

Speak for yourself Trainor lol.
bkelley211
Posts: 74
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2010 10:29:53 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/25/2010 2:32:57 PM, Lukas wrote:
At 2/25/2010 2:21:26 PM, theLwerd wrote:
My ex is from Michigan. Detroit sucks. The city is bankrupt; violent crime is rampant; most people who live there were auto-workers whom are now out of jobs (hence the poverty); etc. It might be urban but there's no "culture" there.

oookay, sounds a bit like Birmingham to be fair. Since the automotive industry went there are large parts of the city where there is literally no hope and plenty of heroin. In fact both myself and feverish work at Rover, which at one time was a massive factory and subsequent employer. Since that's gone there are parts of Birmingham where three generations of men are out of work. I still love the place though and always will, I wonder if people from Detroit feel the same?

What's Chicago like?

Detroit is a complete hole.

Chicago, on the other hand, is awesome in almost every regard. I live in Chicago. The only real complaint I've heard about Chicago--besides the Cubs never winning--is the winter weather. This year has been pretty mild, but it does get stop-in-your-tracks cold.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2010 10:42:50 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/25/2010 3:28:53 PM, Korashk wrote:
At 2/25/2010 3:07:17 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Michigan could be cool but it needs a lot of work. What city do you think is worse? Flint?

I was wrong, according to the 2009 statistics Detroit is worse than Flint now. Saginaw is also pretty bad.

http://os.cqpress.com...

I think it's pretty kick-@ss a city with your name is one of the 11 most dangerous cities in America, is the second most liberal city in America, and is the hometown of the Jacksons.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Lukas
Posts: 110
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2010 6:07:59 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/27/2010 12:20:44 PM, feverish wrote:
At 2/25/2010 2:32:57 PM, Lukas wrote:
At 2/25/2010 2:21:26 PM, theLwerd wrote:
It might be urban but there's no "culture" there.

oookay, sounds a bit like Birmingham to be fair.

Speak for yourself Trainor lol.

oh yeah, and where were you for the villa game Melvis??

Fookin Rooney! CONT!
Lukas
Posts: 110
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2010 6:13:16 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/27/2010 12:20:44 PM, feverish wrote:
At 2/25/2010 2:32:57 PM, Lukas wrote:
At 2/25/2010 2:21:26 PM, theLwerd wrote:
It might be urban but there's no "culture" there.

oookay, sounds a bit like Birmingham to be fair.

Speak for yourself Trainor lol.

I meant the gun-crime and urban decay bits Birkhill!

Burminum 'as got plenty a culcha moight, innit!
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2010 6:59:27 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/25/2010 2:42:32 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Chicago is also much cleaner, it smells better, the people are totally different (they don't have that NY'er attitude I'm familiar with) and the architecture is nicer. It's a pretty city but it gives a lonely vibe according to my roommate and I even though it's not small or isolated.

It is nice. Restaurants are amazing and it is being considered the best culinary city of the United States. If you go I can recommend a few places for you.
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2010 7:01:44 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/25/2010 3:28:53 PM, Korashk wrote:
At 2/25/2010 3:07:17 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Michigan could be cool but it needs a lot of work. What city do you think is worse? Flint?

I was wrong, according to the 2009 statistics Detroit is worse than Flint now. Saginaw is also pretty bad.

http://os.cqpress.com...

Damn Eminem!

You did it with your pants on the ground, trailer park, rapping persona your gave the city.
8 mile punk
feverish
Posts: 2,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2010 9:32:30 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/3/2010 6:07:59 AM, Lukas wrote:

oh yeah, and where were you for the villa game Melvis??

Fookin Rooney! CONT!

I had a very civilised cup final actually, round at Muz's. Me, me bird, my daughter, him, his missus and his daughter.

T'was nice and I don't really give a sh1t if we win or lose these days anyway.