Jump to topic:

Controversial opinion, mayhaps?

MysticEgg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2014 1:47:36 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
SO...in the UK, our politicians are currently stirring the pot of Internet safety, emphasising how people such as bullies, online stalkers and paedophiles are shooting up and out of control. They say the results are compelling that the Internet has given these people a safe haven from which to find their targets. They speak as if it's some new deal.

I disagree.

Sure, reports may be rising, maybe even arrests (I admit ignorance on the hard numbers), but the Internet just gives transparency to the problem, because programs can monitor and track, whereas before the Internet, one needed physical surveillance, or thereabouts.

Therefore, it seems that the numbers might just be showing themselves, as opposed to the implied "rise in paedophiles". I'll grant that the Internet gives people easier access to personal information, but that's about it, I think.

Anybody agree, disagree? Am I spouting nonsense, or am I stating the obvious. Maybe I'm even onto something... O.o
breaxxbaxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2014 3:36:25 PM
No, I think you're probably on point. The internet has offered more transparency and accessibility to some less than desirable behaviors. Though I would say that this transparency and accessibility probably allowed more people to act on these behaviors than before. It's providing a safe space for people who might not have had the nerve before.

Like you, I'm not sure of the numbers. They probably aren't out of control in comparison to pre-internet, but I would not be surprised if there is a little spike in people acting on these behaviors.
Wocambs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 10:51:55 AM
At 7/22/2014 1:47:36 PM, MysticEgg wrote:
SO...in the UK, our politicians are currently stirring the pot of Internet safety, emphasising how people such as bullies, online stalkers and paedophiles are shooting up and out of control. They say the results are compelling that the Internet has given these people a safe haven from which to find their targets. They speak as if it's some new deal.

I disagree.

Sure, reports may be rising, maybe even arrests (I admit ignorance on the hard numbers), but the Internet just gives transparency to the problem, because programs can monitor and track, whereas before the Internet, one needed physical surveillance, or thereabouts.

Therefore, it seems that the numbers might just be showing themselves, as opposed to the implied "rise in paedophiles". I'll grant that the Internet gives people easier access to personal information, but that's about it, I think.

Anybody agree, disagree? Am I spouting nonsense, or am I stating the obvious. Maybe I'm even onto something... O.o

It's just politicians being politicians. Stupid reactionary demagogues. Jim managed to fix it just fine without the internet.