Total Posts:1|Showing Posts:1-1
Jump to topic:

What is feminism?

Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/25/2014 2:55:56 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
It seems that there is a lot of pressure being applied to those who don't identify as feminists to begin conforming to what is seen to be a politically correct movement. Identify as a feminist, or risk being labelled a sexist, misogynist pig.

However, I've been having some real difficulty isolating the true definition of feminism. A feminist might say something like feminism is the struggle for equality between the sexes and intersectional groups, which is informed by the historical inequalities of women.

Firstly, I'm having difficulty understanding why a gender-neutral term can't be employed, given that the movement ostensibly also fights for men's rights.

Secondly, I wonder whether it is historically accurate to claim that the movement fought exclusively for equality. This is certainly the stated goal, but is that how it really transpired? Is this what really happened?

I've not been exposed properly to the idea of feminism and the only person who ever tried to explain it to me became extremely frustrated, called me a pig and left it there. This was during exam period so it's entirely possible they were just stressed out on the day. While I obviously can't understand the complexity or depth of discrimination felt by females (or other marginalised groups) I don't really consider myself to be a sexist, although I might be wrong.

If someone could help me out with understanding both the stated aims, as well as what was and is ACTUALLY fought for, that'd be great. I'd love to hear from some people knowledgeable on this topic.