Jump to topic:

Is Gay Parenting Bad for Chilren?

ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2014 2:33:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Gay parents receive criticism from religious people and traditional parents who believe it's normal for only one man and woman to be in a marriage. I decided to discuss this because of an ad I saw that I didn't know was real or a joke, but it was two kids climbing a jungle gym, both boys and they both fell. One of them has a mom that comes to carry them and comfort them. The mom looks at the other little boy and asks "Where's your mommy?" The kid sits up and is surrounded by people (or could be the two dads) and the boy just looks at the camera all said with the finishing lines. "Marriage. One man One woman."

I shared this with several of my LGBT friends who find it offensive because of how false it is. One friend has a gay friend who freaks out if his cat is harmed, so he does the same for his nephew and would do the same for his kid. My best lesbian friend was raised by a hetero couple to be more manly than her brothers. Her father would take her fishing and hunting. My friend is now an engineer and is engaged to a very girly woman.

I always hear arguments like, Two men can't explain puberty or periods to a girl. My friend also says that just like anybody who has questions about that stuff, they look it up when planning to have a child. Two women will sissy a boy up. My friend says that if she had a son (who she would name Alexander), Alexander would be taught how to fish and ride dirt bikes. Parents won't have big behavior influences. My dad is a southern businessman and my mom is a house wife who has fun and watches movies. I'm a nerd who is into anime and science and religion. I didn't learn any of that from them nor my other knowledge and wisdom. Some of the stuff like sex was learned by my friends.

So tell me, why do some people (if your them) think gays being parents are bad?
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2014 2:47:41 PM
At 7/29/2014 2:33:31 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:
Gay parents receive criticism from religious people and traditional parents who believe it's normal for only one man and woman to be in a marriage. I decided to discuss this because of an ad I saw that I didn't know was real or a joke, but it was two kids climbing a jungle gym, both boys and they both fell. One of them has a mom that comes to carry them and comfort them. The mom looks at the other little boy and asks "Where's your mommy?" The kid sits up and is surrounded by people (or could be the two dads) and the boy just looks at the camera all said with the finishing lines. "Marriage. One man One woman."

I shared this with several of my LGBT friends who find it offensive because of how false it is. One friend has a gay friend who freaks out if his cat is harmed, so he does the same for his nephew and would do the same for his kid. My best lesbian friend was raised by a hetero couple to be more manly than her brothers. Her father would take her fishing and hunting. My friend is now an engineer and is engaged to a very girly woman.

I always hear arguments like, Two men can't explain puberty or periods to a girl. My friend also says that just like anybody who has questions about that stuff, they look it up when planning to have a child. Two women will sissy a boy up. My friend says that if she had a son (who she would name Alexander), Alexander would be taught how to fish and ride dirt bikes. Parents won't have big behavior influences. My dad is a southern businessman and my mom is a house wife who has fun and watches movies. I'm a nerd who is into anime and science and religion. I didn't learn any of that from them nor my other knowledge and wisdom. Some of the stuff like sex was learned by my friends.

For the record, that ad you saw could be anti-gay, or it could be good satire. I could see it either way.

I do think gays are limited for child rearing, but not nearly as much as a single parent is, or abusive parents, or a whole host of other scenarios.
I think ideally, a man and woman team is best for child rearing, but I'd settle for any two people who care.
My work here is, finally, done.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 2:11:40 AM
At 7/29/2014 2:33:31 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:

Honestly a lot of society is rooted in blissful ignorance. It's hard to move past an ideal you've been taught since birth was the standard; the way things are done. It's hard for many people to accept the fact that society is changing and that more of the silly standards we had in place are slowly falling. But despite all the claims that the world is failing, I see it rising. Maybe not economically, politically, etc. But I see more and more people breaking away from standards that society has bound them to since youth.

But such is the nature of ignorance. You can find an argument for whatever you want, if it supports your previously held biased position. As such, many christian traditionalists will continue to make arguments like the ones you mentioned.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 3:13:05 AM
Yes, gay parenting is bad for children. When children complain about doing chores and homework and say, "that's soooo gayyy," their parents just say, "yes, yes it is." This is confusing for children. It makes their brains explode. Exploding brains are bad. Ergo, gay parenting is bad.

Checkmate atheists
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 3:17:40 AM
Being Gay is a myth. I had a cousin who thought she was lesbian once. She went to a psychologist and he talked her out of it. Now she is happily married with kids.
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 9:18:43 AM
At 7/30/2014 3:17:40 AM, Wylted wrote:
Being Gay is a myth. I had a cousin who thought she was lesbian once. She went to a psychologist and he talked her out of it. Now she is happily married with kids.

Do you know anything about the psychologist? Where he got his degree from? Who he works for? The only you thing you can really do is change somebody's sexual conduct. So why she is happily married with kids, if she was truly a lesbian, she would still have those thoughts. Gene Robinson thought he could be straight and ignore the gay thoughts, but he was never happy with his married life. He even had kids. So he dated and married another man and the wife understood this. His daughters still love him and almost thought Gene's partner was like their uncle. Most people who try to convert gays with conversion therapy or anything, later make claims that it didn't work, they just conformed to the ways of the world that demanded them to change. Hence what was said in Romans.
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 9:27:54 AM
At 7/30/2014 3:13:05 AM, bluesteel wrote:
Yes, gay parenting is bad for children. When children complain about doing chores and homework and say, "that's soooo gayyy," their parents just say, "yes, yes it is." This is confusing for children. It makes their brains explode. Exploding brains are bad. Ergo, gay parenting is bad.

Checkmate atheists

Actually I'm a Christian. O.o

Troll alert!!!!!!
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 9:30:43 PM
Gay marriage is a pretty easy topic. It's nobody else's business if two men or women want to get hitched.

Gay parenting is a tough one. On one hand, if a gay, married couple wants to care for a child, it's hard to deny them that right. On the other hand, kids can benefit from a parent of both sexes, and it's hard to believe there isn't several distinct ways a child could be damaged from such an arrangement. But some kids only get one parent anyway, and in a sense kids really only need one parent. We can't guarantee kids two opposite-sex parents no matter what we do, but do we need to guarantee they at least have the chance for that arrangement? Then there's the case of lesbians who can just get pregnant and there's no way to enforce it anyway. It would only be gay men who are controllable.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Thundercloud347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2014 3:49:39 PM
At 7/30/2014 3:17:40 AM, Wylted wrote:

That's freaking immoral. You can't just 'talk' the gay out. Can you choose who you love? I don't think she's lesbian, she might be bisexual. Another possibility is that she was just confused about her sexuality but then realized that she was hetero. A lot of teens go through it as they try to discover their identity.