Jump to topic:

Make up

SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 5:43:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Hopefully a person, preferably a female can answer this. Why do some girls feel the need to wear make up? What is wrong with going 'all natural'? Does make up give the wearer a confidence boost? Isn't make up false advertising?

Personally it disgusts me. All those cosmetics and chemicals. This topic seems like it would go in the society forum.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 6:50:51 PM
At 7/30/2014 5:43:06 PM, SamStevens wrote:
Hopefully a person, preferably a female can answer this. Why do some girls feel the need to wear make up? What is wrong with going 'all natural'? Does make up give the wearer a confidence boost? Isn't make up false advertising?

Personally it disgusts me. All those cosmetics and chemicals. This topic seems like it would go in the society forum.

I find interesting your view. I'm not a girl but, most men appearing on TV wear make up too. Thing is, people tend to think make up improves appearance and gives beauty. I also think like this but again I find very interesting that you don't. Why exactly does it disgust you?
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 7:04:45 PM
At 7/30/2014 6:50:51 PM, Otokage wrote:

I find interesting your view. I'm not a girl but, most men appearing on TV wear make up too. Thing is, people tend to think make up improves appearance and gives beauty. I also think like this but again I find very interesting that you don't. Why exactly does it disgust you?

I personally find lipstick disgusting and eye shadow, etc. Some people think they are rock'n it even though any one who can apply make up can look half way descent.

I hate eye shadow and eye lash make up since it make people look like raccoons. There was this girl in my health class in freshman year, and she piled on the make up. At first I thought she looked good, but that was because she was across the room. After casually observing(5 months +/-), I developed a distaste for cosmetics. Now it disgusts me.

http://www.harpersbazaar.com...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

I think my disgust of make-up in general is a little of a phobia. I hate seeing lipstick stains on cups. I do not want to be drinking residue of cosmetics.

This extreme distaste for make up is weird, but then I do classify myself as socially awkward.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 7:07:17 PM

I find this repulsive:

https://www.google.com...

In my opinion, all natural is best.
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 7:08:24 PM

Welcome to DDO(debate.org) by the way.
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 7:13:11 PM
If your just meaning like make up for own purposes or for like tv shows I personally dot wear make up never have because I don't see the point of it. It ages a woman's face quicker than if she never wears any. Or if she wears make up often than she becomes full looking without it. I believe in natural beauty regardless of what a girl may look like.

However, I see no hurt in wearing make up for special occasions if married to a spouse, but that's just me. I am not married so I find no reason AT ALL to wear make at all.

Now as of tv shows, people of both genders wear make up or te purpose of idk making the movie scenes or plays or live streams or whatever the case may be to look better on tv for "professional" purposes, but ehh again I see nothing wrong with just being natural.
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 7:14:41 PM

There's a natural make up range too.

Some girls feel the need to wear make up because they want to. There's really nothing deeper than that. It can hide blemishes/ pimples/ whatever, and if applied correctly, can help amp up your face,
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 7:19:45 PM
At 7/30/2014 7:13:11 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
If your just meaning like make up for own purposes or for like tv shows I personally dot wear make up never have because I don't see the point of it. It ages a woman's face quicker than if she never wears any. Or if she wears make up often than she becomes full looking without it. I believe in natural beauty regardless of what a girl may look like.

However, I see no hurt in wearing make up for special occasions if married to a spouse, but that's just me. I am not married so I find no reason AT ALL to wear make at all.

Now as of tv shows, people of both genders wear make up or te purpose of idk making the movie scenes or plays or live streams or whatever the case may be to look better on tv for "professional" purposes, but ehh again I see nothing wrong with just being natural.

I could see movie scenes, but some people go the whole 9 yards. Especially in school, and public places.
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 7:21:35 PM

It's nasty bro, imagine someone sweating with that on ugh! I don't care if a girl wears make-up, but i think natural beauty looks alot better. I paid attention to women/girls who wear no make-up and compare them to those who do, big difference. Girls who are secure in themselves don't need make-up, they smile and it looks great. Girls who wear make-up can look good as well (don't get me wrong) but i'd rather see a girl without make up than a girl with make-up cuz you can appreciate them for what they really look like.
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 7:22:23 PM
At 7/30/2014 7:21:35 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:

It's nasty bro, imagine someone sweating with that on ugh! I don't care if a girl wears make-up, but i think natural beauty looks alot better. I paid attention to women/girls who wear no make-up and compare them to those who do, big difference. Girls who are secure in themselves don't need make-up, they smile and it looks great. Girls who wear make-up can look good as well (don't get me wrong) but i'd rather see a girl without make up than a girl with make-up cuz you can appreciate them for what they really look like.

Agreed.
GodChoosesLife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 7:26:18 PM
At 7/30/2014 7:19:45 PM, SamStevens wrote:

I could see movie scenes, but some people go the whole 9 yards. Especially in school, and public places.

I've never really been too fond of make up but I don't ever think it's necessarily evil. But I strongly believe that if girls feel like they NEED to wear make up then it's because they're ashamed of what they look like and seek for attention. Now if it's just a rare occasional I feel like wearing make up kinda day for a girl then I don't see that it's necessarily harming her because she's just wanting to "dress up" so to speak do a little change for that day. It's not a NEED OR A MUST HAVE issue for her. If that makes sense?
Better than deserved, as ALWAYS.
"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choices."
"The Lord doesn't promise us a perfect life that is free of problems, but he does promise that He'll get us through anything." ~SweeTea
"Good Times" ~ Max
"If Jesus isn't in heaven, then it's not heaven; instead, it's hell." ~anonymous
"Suffering is unimaginably confusing, but it's a way to be drawn closer to God" ~Me
"Tell me what consumes your heart most, and I'll tell you who your God is." ~Dad
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 7:27:03 PM
At 7/30/2014 7:14:41 PM, Cermank wrote:

Some girls feel the need to wear make up because they want to. There's really nothing deeper than that. It can hide blemishes/ pimples/ whatever, and if applied correctly, can help amp up your face,

True, but if you are covering up blemishes, it does no good when a person(a person in a relationship) who seen you with make up on( first meeting) discovers that the make up wearing person actually looks totally different.

That image linked above is an issue. Looks totally different.
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 7:27:39 PM
At 7/30/2014 7:26:18 PM, GodChoosesLife wrote:
At 7/30/2014 7:19:45 PM, SamStevens wrote:

I've never really been too fond of make up but I don't ever think it's necessarily evil. But I strongly believe that if girls feel like they NEED to wear make up then it's because they're ashamed of what they look like and seek for attention. Now if it's just a rare occasional I feel like wearing make up kinda day for a girl then I don't see that it's necessarily harming her because she's just wanting to "dress up" so to speak do a little change for that day. It's not a NEED OR A MUST HAVE issue for her. If that makes sense?

That makes sense.
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 7:29:49 PM
At 7/30/2014 7:27:03 PM, SamStevens wrote:

True, but if you are covering up blemishes, it does no good when a person(a person in a relationship) who seen you with make up on( first meeting) discovers that the make up wearing person actually looks totally different.

Who do you think looks better?
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 7:30:12 PM

took the words right outta my mouth, lol. If i see a girl with no make up i'ma be like WTH?! LOL! jk really though, it's very deceiving, it's like me wearing a fake mask and you think it's real, but when i take it off, you see who i really am lol
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 7:32:54 PM
At 7/30/2014 7:29:49 PM, Cermank wrote:

In my opinion, none. The make up created a false image and the women without makeup does not attract me either.
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 7:35:03 PM
At 7/30/2014 7:30:12 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:

took the words right outta my mouth, lol. If i see a girl with no make up i'ma be like WTH?! LOL! jk really though, it's very deceiving, it's like me wearing a fake mask and you think it's real, but when i take it off, you see who i really am lol

I compare it to Halloween. Every thing looks fine and dandy until the person takes off their false image.
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 7:37:04 PM
At 7/30/2014 7:35:03 PM, SamStevens wrote:
At 7/30/2014 7:30:12 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:

I compare it to Halloween. Every thing looks fine and dandy until the person takes off their false image.

ROFL!!!! ahahaha! no lie man, but for real, this isn't Halloween! No need to look like witches ahahaha Forgive me if i offended someone up in this thread ahaha
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 7:38:57 PM
At 7/30/2014 7:32:54 PM, SamStevens wrote:

In my opinion, none. The make up created a false image and the women without makeup does not attract me either.

lol.

Anyway, a woman isn't interested in going out with every guy who sees her. She's interested in getting through the day with as positive a experience as she can. Some women look good in makeup, if they know what they are doing. This helps them create a certain illusion- which helps them and their self esteem. And have a much more positive social experience.

She doesn't have to date everyone who crosses her path, and hence doesn't need to show her true self to everyone. Which, btw, is a misnomer.
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 7:41:41 PM
At 7/30/2014 7:37:04 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:
ROFL!!!! ahahaha! no lie man, but for real, this isn't Halloween! No need to look like witches ahahaha Forgive me if i offended someone up in this thread ahaha

lol with your profile pic, this sounds so ironic.

Forgive me if I'm offending you!
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 7:42:19 PM
At 7/30/2014 7:41:41 PM, Cermank wrote:
At 7/30/2014 7:37:04 PM, Truth_seeker wrote:

lol with your profile pic, this sounds so ironic.

Forgive me if I'm offending you!

lol none taken...
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 7:44:12 PM
At 7/30/2014 7:38:57 PM, Cermank wrote:
At 7/30/2014 7:32:54 PM, SamStevens wrote:

lol.

Anyway, a woman isn't interested in going out with every guy who sees her. She's interested in getting through the day with as positive a experience as she can. Some women look good in makeup, if they know what they are doing. This helps them create a certain illusion- which helps them and their self esteem. And have a much more positive social experience.

She doesn't have to date everyone who crosses her path, and hence doesn't need to show her true self to everyone. Which, btw, is a misnomer.

True.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 7:51:36 PM
At 7/30/2014 7:07:17 PM, SamStevens wrote:

I find this repulsive:

And do you find this http://www.worthytoshare.net...
repulsive?
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2014 1:33:09 PM
At 7/30/2014 7:51:36 PM, Otokage wrote:

I find this repulsive:

repulsive?

I do not like the eye liner. Yes, my perspective/opinion is 'weird'.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2014 1:57:26 PM
Hopefully a person, preferably a female can answer this.
Why do some girls feel the need to wear make up?
I could try and look them up but survey studies have shown that women feel more confident when they wear make-up. It accentuates things they believe are positive about their looks and downplays things that they believe are negative about their looks. It also can cover up blemishes- scars, acne, blotchy skin, etc.

Also, speaking from personal experience, if I go out to a bar or a party without make-up on, I'll get talked to, sure. Guys will try and dance with me or chat. But if I wear a bit of make-up (I really don't wear much typically. usually just blush and mascara. some days none at all), I get drinks bought for me by perfect strangers, I get asked if I'm single, people ask for my number, etc. So many guys say that they prefer the natural look- and I definitely believe them, don't get me wrong- but those guys aren't exactly showing it. Make-up, if done well, will definitely make a woman stand-out to men.

What is wrong with going 'all natural'?
http://31.media.tumblr.com...
lol that comic cracks me up. It is painfully true to me and any girl friend I've had. "Are you sick?"
Does make up give the wearer a confidence boost?
Yes. Definitely. And there was another study I read recently that showed that women who wear make-up are perceived to be more trustworthy than women without make-up. How or why that is- I have no idea. It probably has something to do with class, if I had to guess.

Isn't make up false advertising?
Sure. In the same way scented deodorant, clothing, high heels, bras, shaving regimes, haircuts, tattoos, and jewelry are false advertising. But if you have a close relationship with someone who wears make-up, you will see them without it sooner or later.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2014 2:10:09 PM
It's simple: beauty has value due to what it may represent. During the early modern period, European women with a very pale skin complex were deemed more attractive. The reason was that it displayed a higher social status, because they did not get tan from outdoor labour. In modern times it works the same way. Make-up makes women more attractive, and attractiveness can help with first impressions (good for creating social ties, land you a job, etc.), and generally makes one feel better due to the value put in the concept.
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2014 2:33:23 PM
At 7/31/2014 1:57:26 PM, Oryus wrote:
Hopefully a person, preferably a female can answer this.
Why do some girls feel the need to wear make up?
I could try and look them up but survey studies have shown that women feel more confident when they wear make-up. It accentuates things they believe are positive about their looks and downplays things that they believe are negative about their looks. It also can cover up blemishes- scars, acne, blotchy skin, etc.

Also, speaking from personal experience, if I go out to a bar or a party without make-up on, I'll get talked to, sure. Guys will try and dance with me or chat. But if I wear a bit of make-up (I really don't wear much typically. usually just blush and mascara. some days none at all), I get drinks bought for me by perfect strangers, I get asked if I'm single, people ask for my number, etc. So many guys say that they prefer the natural look- and I definitely believe them, don't get me wrong- but those guys aren't exactly showing it. Make-up, if done well, will definitely make a woman stand-out to men.

What is wrong with going 'all natural'?
http://31.media.tumblr.com...
lol that comic cracks me up. It is painfully true to me and any girl friend I've had. "Are you sick?"
Does make up give the wearer a confidence boost?
Yes. Definitely. And there was another study I read recently that showed that women who wear make-up are perceived to be more trustworthy than women without make-up. How or why that is- I have no idea. It probably has something to do with class, if I had to guess.

Isn't make up false advertising?
Sure. In the same way scented deodorant, clothing, high heels, bras, shaving regimes, haircuts, tattoos, and jewelry are false advertising. But if you have a close relationship with someone who wears make-up, you will see them without it sooner or later.

Pretty good answer.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2014 2:47:57 PM
At 7/31/2014 2:33:23 PM, SamStevens wrote:
Pretty good answer.

lol omg I just saw this: http://www.theonion.com...

So relevant. Had to share. I'm dying.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2014 3:33:51 PM
At 7/31/2014 1:33:09 PM, SamStevens wrote:
At 7/30/2014 7:51:36 PM, Otokage wrote:

I find this repulsive:

repulsive?

I do not like the eye liner. Yes, my perspective/opinion is 'weird'.

I believe it is a matter of taste. Yours is quite unique I see.