Jump to topic:

The 'N' Word

hmangini
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 11:19:42 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Is it racist that it is only acceptable for African Americans can say the 'N' word?

I am not racist nor do I promote any racist comments. Racism can be applied to any skin color. Please be courteous.
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 11:30:21 AM
At 8/6/2014 11:19:42 AM, hmangini wrote:
Is it racist that it is only acceptable for African Americans can say the 'N' word?

I am not racist nor do I promote any racist comments. Racism can be applied to any skin color. Please be courteous.

It's the intention behind a word which is offensive, not the word itself as an object. IMO
"Logic is the money of the mind." - Karl Marx
hmangini
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 11:40:53 AM
At 8/6/2014 11:30:21 AM, sdavio wrote:

It's the intention behind a word which is offensive, not the word itself as an object. IMO
-----
Okay, but can't any race use it offensively or as an "object"?

Why one race over another?
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 11:43:27 AM
At 8/6/2014 11:40:53 AM, hmangini wrote:

-----

I agree. It seems to be the same logic as feminism, though. Since one group was unfairly treated in the past they believe it is fair to treat them differently now to make up for it.
"Logic is the money of the mind." - Karl Marx
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 11:53:03 AM

Nolite Timere
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2014 11:56:03 AM

-----

Yes, and many do.

Some people (incorrectly) look at the word as offensive in any use no matter of the intent, so if you are not black then you are saying an inappropriate racial slur. But if you are black, then it is kind of like insulting yourself, which most people don't have a problem with.
Nolite Timere
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 12:14:20 PM

No, it is not racist. It is foolish though. No-one should be using that term, especially African Americans. I think it's actually a defense mechanism on the macro scale. What I mean is that usually a good defense mechanism is to take a negative thing someone says about you, and to turn it into a joke or laugh at yourself about it. What they've done is taken a negative term and have turned it into a term of recognition, a compliment, and in some cases use it still as a negative term between one another.

What we need to do, as a collective, is to move beyond these terms altogether. We can't erase our history of slavery, we can't just magically remove the animosity that African-Americans feel when they hear that word used by a non-black. What we can do though is work towards a point where such a term no longer has any modern meaning. We see many words that are rarely used anymore, for instance check out this link: http://www.buzzfeed.com...

If we can move beyond using it commonly, regardless of what context it's used in, that would be the best solution. Racism is only alive because we keep it alive.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 12:37:42 PM

It's just a word. I did some research on it and it's not a curse word. Yea it's been used on blacks, but now it's just another term for "dude." You can't be completely "Safe" with words because it's too complex to hold a "safe" terminology. Some of my friends would get offended by you calling them "african-americans" because they're not from Africa. You give power to the words people call you. Now in a relationship/friendship, it's different not because of the words being said, but it's the intention to harm the other person with insults.
Zylorarchy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 12:57:02 PM

No race/group should ever use that word. It's disgraceful.
"I am not intolerant of religion, I am intolerant of intolerance"
"True freedom is not simply left or right. It is the ability to know when a law is needed, but more importantly, know when one is not"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 4:12:00 PM

A word is not racist, the meaning behind it is (or the entire sentence that it is in). And a single word and have multiple meanings. Ergo, the same word can be used in a racist way, or a non-racist way.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Dragonfang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2014 9:04:42 AM
Well, it is correlated with negative semantics based on the times of slavery. The core meaning is "black".
The negative weight the word holds will probably dissolve as time goes by. It's modern use depends on the context I guess.
The_Immortal_Emris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2014 9:55:12 AM
At 8/6/2014 11:43:27 AM, sdavio wrote:

-----

I agree. It seems to be the same logic as feminism, though. Since one group was unfairly treated in the past they believe it is fair to treat them differently now to make up for it.

This is a misconception born out of the assumption that there is only one school of thought for feminism.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2014 11:45:12 AM

The Fool: The Term has notoriously been used by nonblack people to stigmatize blacks as less than human. Thus it's been used as a weapon against them.

However when a black person uses the term they do so on equal footing with black people. In this way, it is generally to recognize a shared identity within a group as equals, and not between groups as inferiors.

However some white or nonblack people do get away with using it in a non-derogatory way.. We tend to let it slide when its from people who have some color and identify with black people, or white women who are dating black men. (Especially if she also has a black child.) It"s offensiveness has a lot to do with the context and the tone in which it was said.

In a similar way, It's also now more common for gay people (at least where I am) to call each other the F word on similar grounds. But we can clearly see why It's offensive, for Non-homosexuals(Outgroup) to call Homosexuals that.

Against The Ideologist
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2014 12:09:30 AM
I just ask white people this "Why do you want to say nigga?"

In a society where white, straight males have all the advantages, you can't let me have this?
#BlackLivesMatter
MisterMittens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2014 4:56:00 AM

While it does depend on the intention of the word's usage, restricting the word completely to one ethnicity without regard to anything else is unquestionably racist.

I mean, Africans who socially stigmatize other ethnicities' right to utter a sound!? I'd say they are guilty of stark verbal segregation!

Yes, it is very racist and very, very hypocritical.
I'm handsome. Whoever disagrees with me can go die in a deep, dark hole.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2014 6:46:10 PM
At 8/17/2014 4:12:00 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

A word is not racist, the meaning behind it is (or the entire sentence that it is in). And a single word and have multiple meanings. Ergo, the same word can be used in a racist way, or a non-racist way.

There is no way a white man can say nigger and have it come across as non racist.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2014 11:00:04 AM
It may sound racist. It's the same for gay people, they call each other fagg*t and it is not big deal, but if a straight person is calling them fagg*ts, then it clearly has different connotations.
Kc1999
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2014 11:06:18 AM
At 8/26/2014 11:57:38 PM, apb4y wrote:
Niigger!

There, I just said it. If that makes me racist, so be it.
I like your attitude, nigga. Now go pick some cotton.
#NoToMobocracy #BladeStroink