Total Posts:32|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Dealing with racists and sexists

sdavio
Posts: 1,798
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2014 10:48:29 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Whenever I visit my dad he will usually talk about how he doesn't like black people and also talk about sexist things. Usually I say I disagree with it but just put up with it for the most part. Much of the time I feel bad being around it. How do you reccomend being around prejudiced people? Do you try to convince them to change their mind, or just pretend to agree with them?
"Logic is the money of the mind." - Karl Marx
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2014 12:22:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/8/2014 10:48:29 AM, sdavio wrote:
Whenever I visit my dad he will usually talk about how he doesn't like black people and also talk about sexist things. Usually I say I disagree with it but just put up with it for the most part. Much of the time I feel bad being around it. How do you reccomend being around prejudiced people? Do you try to convince them to change their mind, or just pretend to agree with them?

If you've tried reasoning with them, and their response is "they're one of the good ones", there is little you can do.
Either deal with it (shut up and enjoy yourself while there), shun them (no more contact), or try to broker a deal and ask they refrain from saying that stuff around you.

With me and my wife, there are taboo subjects we don't talk about when we can (same principle, but less gravitas). Out of respect for others, you let sleeping dogs lie.
My work here is, finally, done.
sdavio
Posts: 1,798
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2014 12:50:37 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/8/2014 12:22:45 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 8/8/2014 10:48:29 AM, sdavio wrote:
Whenever I visit my dad he will usually talk about how he doesn't like black people and also talk about sexist things. Usually I say I disagree with it but just put up with it for the most part. Much of the time I feel bad being around it. How do you reccomend being around prejudiced people? Do you try to convince them to change their mind, or just pretend to agree with them?

If you've tried reasoning with them, and their response is "they're one of the good ones", there is little you can do.
Either deal with it (shut up and enjoy yourself while there), shun them (no more contact), or try to broker a deal and ask they refrain from saying that stuff around you.

With me and my wife, there are taboo subjects we don't talk about when we can (same principle, but less gravitas). Out of respect for others, you let sleeping dogs lie.

So you can avoid whole subjects? Do you feel that that works? I mean there are not many weird feelings about it?
"Logic is the money of the mind." - Karl Marx
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2014 1:22:03 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/8/2014 12:50:37 PM, sdavio wrote:

So you can avoid whole subjects? Do you feel that that works? I mean there are not many weird feelings about it?

I have a big deal about censorship, and she has a big deal about animal cruelty. We don't talk about it. She knows I view animals as property, and I would not support a law regarding animal abuse, and it makes her mad. Let sleeping dogs lie.

She is a bit of a prude. If I were to watch a movie full of sex jokes and/or nudity, I would not watch it with her, nor tell her about it.

It works for us.
It's annoying when the issue issues are brought up and tempers flare, but, yeah, it works.

Back when I was opposed to gay marriage, I had gay friends who liked me, but (big surprise) we disagreed on the issue of marriage. We fought. But, then we just decided not to talk about it. They liked me for who I was, and didn't want to sully our friendship by arguing about an issue important to them.

Think of people you disagree about with any topic - at some point, you just agree to disagree, and move on (preferably still civilly and not ending a relationship)

If something is too big of a deal to get over, there is no point in pretending it doesn't bother you, and I'm assuming you have stated it bothers you, and the fact that he is wrong. All that is left is to respect each other's wishes.

I'm sure you've heard about people who don't bring their husband to family gatherings because dad disapproves (be it a wife beater, racist, criminal, whatever). Enjoy the time with others, if you can. If you can't, because they are who they are or because one issue is too much, then you can't, and my advice is to leave them be.
My work here is, finally, done.
Master_De_Bater
Posts: 8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2014 3:22:49 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I mean, when it comes to those types of people I sorta just laugh at them. They are stuck in the past. There's nothing you can do. Also, sometimes it's necessary to not say anything. I'm an atheist, so when I like a Christian chick--I'm Christian. The fact that i know the Bible really well helps out too.

That's different from racism and sexism, though. Just try to stay away. OR if they are friendly try to show them the error of their ways. My cousin really hates gay people--he was so pissed when that one gay guy got drafted into the NFL. I tried to talk to him but he doesn't listen...he's still my bro though.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2014 3:26:56 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/8/2014 10:48:29 AM, sdavio wrote:
Whenever I visit my dad he will usually talk about how he doesn't like black people and also talk about sexist things. Usually I say I disagree with it but just put up with it for the most part. Much of the time I feel bad being around it. How do you reccomend being around prejudiced people? Do you try to convince them to change their mind, or just pretend to agree with them?

I grill them for all their good jokes. Also it helps if you guys can find something you both hate that you can bond over.

Hate brings people together.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2014 3:29:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/8/2014 3:22:49 PM, Master_De_Bater wrote:
I mean, when it comes to those types of people I sorta just laugh at them. They are stuck in the past. There's nothing you can do. Also, sometimes it's necessary to not say anything. I'm an atheist, so when I like a Christian chick--I'm Christian. The fact that i know the Bible really well helps out too.

That's different from racism and sexism, though. Just try to stay away. OR if they are friendly try to show them the error of their ways. My cousin really hates gay people--he was so pissed when that one gay guy got drafted into the NFL. I tried to talk to him but he doesn't listen...he's still my bro though.

Don't pretend to be something you're not to get chicks. Grow a set of balls.
Master_De_Bater
Posts: 8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2014 4:10:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
....OR I can get a hot girl and keep my current set of balls. Pretending to be something I'm not isn't a bad thing--not when there's girls involved. I mean it's really as simple as that. Hot girls > the gratitude I get when being true to myself.

...Forget the fact that I AM being true to myself since in my mind I'm still an atheist.

Good suggestion though.
debatability
Posts: 1,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2014 4:28:41 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/8/2014 4:10:11 PM, Master_De_Bater wrote:
....OR I can get a hot girl and keep my current set of balls. Pretending to be something I'm not isn't a bad thing--not when there's girls involved. I mean it's really as simple as that. Hot girls > the gratitude I get when being true to myself.

...Forget the fact that I AM being true to myself since in my mind I'm still an atheist.

Good suggestion though.

The thing is, if you end up staying with the girl for a long emount of time, she is very likely to find out that you are lying. Literally, most christian girls are cool with dating athiests anyway. I understand that in many cases, a hot religious girl might *not* want to date someone with different beliefs, but really in that case it is best to move on and find someone else rather than lying.

In general, most girls want guys to be completely truthful with them. Realistically, no guy will be 100% truthful, but its best to stay real about the big things... like religious affiliation, political beliefs, how conservative one is when it comes to physical contact, ect ect. Lying about that stuff will most likely get you into a $hitty situation in the end.
YamaVonKarma
Posts: 7,570
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2014 5:00:53 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/8/2014 4:10:11 PM, Master_De_Bater wrote:
....OR I can get a hot girl and keep my current set of balls. Pretending to be something I'm not isn't a bad thing--not when there's girls involved. I mean it's really as simple as that. Hot girls > the gratitude I get when being true to myself.

...Forget the fact that I AM being true to myself since in my mind I'm still an atheist.

Good suggestion though.

I have no problem getting Hot Girls and being myself. The approach is what matters, man.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
Wocambs
Posts: 1,505
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2014 6:38:52 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/8/2014 1:22:03 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Let sleeping dogs lie.

Or torture them, obviously.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2014 5:41:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/8/2014 4:10:11 PM, Master_De_Bater wrote:
....OR I can get a hot girl and keep my current set of balls. Pretending to be something I'm not isn't a bad thing--not when there's girls involved. I mean it's really as simple as that. Hot girls > the gratitude I get when being true to myself.

...Forget the fact that I AM being true to myself since in my mind I'm still an atheist.

Good suggestion though.

Dude, you don't have a set of balls if you have to pretend to be something to get chicks. I get chicks without lying. They may not like what religion I am, but it doesn't stop them from dropping their panties.
kbub
Posts: 1,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 7:49:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/11/2014 5:41:55 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 8/8/2014 4:10:11 PM, Master_De_Bater wrote:
....OR I can get a hot girl and keep my current set of balls. Pretending to be something I'm not isn't a bad thing--not when there's girls involved. I mean it's really as simple as that. Hot girls > the gratitude I get when being true to myself.

...Forget the fact that I AM being true to myself since in my mind I'm still an atheist.

Good suggestion though.

Dude, you don't have a set of balls if you have to pretend to be something to get chicks. I get chicks without lying. They may not like what religion I am, but it doesn't stop them from dropping their panties.

I am not liking the objectification going on here. "Chicks" are women, and they are not "gotten." They are people who choose to or choose not to be with someone. They aren't awards.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 8:15:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/17/2014 7:49:44 PM, kbub wrote:
At 8/11/2014 5:41:55 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 8/8/2014 4:10:11 PM, Master_De_Bater wrote:
....OR I can get a hot girl and keep my current set of balls. Pretending to be something I'm not isn't a bad thing--not when there's girls involved. I mean it's really as simple as that. Hot girls > the gratitude I get when being true to myself.

...Forget the fact that I AM being true to myself since in my mind I'm still an atheist.

Good suggestion though.

Dude, you don't have a set of balls if you have to pretend to be something to get chicks. I get chicks without lying. They may not like what religion I am, but it doesn't stop them from dropping their panties.

I am not liking the objectification going on here. "Chicks" are women, and they are not "gotten." They are people who choose to or choose not to be with someone. They aren't awards.

Jobs aren't awards either. It is a relationship between an employer and employee that can only be achieved and maintained when both parties consciously decide to be in that relationship, but there is no problem saying "I just got the job".
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
kbub
Posts: 1,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 8:22:35 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/17/2014 8:15:23 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/17/2014 7:49:44 PM, kbub wrote:
At 8/11/2014 5:41:55 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 8/8/2014 4:10:11 PM, Master_De_Bater wrote:
....OR I can get a hot girl and keep my current set of balls. Pretending to be something I'm not isn't a bad thing--not when there's girls involved. I mean it's really as simple as that. Hot girls > the gratitude I get when being true to myself.

...Forget the fact that I AM being true to myself since in my mind I'm still an atheist.

Good suggestion though.

Dude, you don't have a set of balls if you have to pretend to be something to get chicks. I get chicks without lying. They may not like what religion I am, but it doesn't stop them from dropping their panties.

I am not liking the objectification going on here. "Chicks" are women, and they are not "gotten." They are people who choose to or choose not to be with someone. They aren't awards.

Jobs aren't awards either. It is a relationship between an employer and employee that can only be achieved and maintained when both parties consciously decide to be in that relationship, but there is no problem saying "I just got the job".

Yes, but jobs are an achievement, and you have ownership at the end. I'm uncomfortable with the Idea of possessing a person.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 8:29:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/17/2014 8:22:35 PM, kbub wrote:
At 8/17/2014 8:15:23 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/17/2014 7:49:44 PM, kbub wrote:
At 8/11/2014 5:41:55 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 8/8/2014 4:10:11 PM, Master_De_Bater wrote:
....OR I can get a hot girl and keep my current set of balls. Pretending to be something I'm not isn't a bad thing--not when there's girls involved. I mean it's really as simple as that. Hot girls > the gratitude I get when being true to myself.

...Forget the fact that I AM being true to myself since in my mind I'm still an atheist.

Good suggestion though.

Dude, you don't have a set of balls if you have to pretend to be something to get chicks. I get chicks without lying. They may not like what religion I am, but it doesn't stop them from dropping their panties.

I am not liking the objectification going on here. "Chicks" are women, and they are not "gotten." They are people who choose to or choose not to be with someone. They aren't awards.

Jobs aren't awards either. It is a relationship between an employer and employee that can only be achieved and maintained when both parties consciously decide to be in that relationship, but there is no problem saying "I just got the job".

Yes, but jobs are an achievement, and you have ownership at the end. I'm uncomfortable with the Idea of possessing a person.

No, you don't "own" your job. And saying "I just got a girlfriend/boyfriend" is not the same as saying you own the person. Now, with those relationship's there is often an expectation that one won't engage with relations with someone else (though that can vary from relationship to relationship).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
kbub
Posts: 1,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 8:36:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/17/2014 8:29:55 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/17/2014 8:22:35 PM, kbub wrote:
At 8/17/2014 8:15:23 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/17/2014 7:49:44 PM, kbub wrote:
At 8/11/2014 5:41:55 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 8/8/2014 4:10:11 PM, Master_De_Bater wrote:
....OR I can get a hot girl and keep my current set of balls. Pretending to be something I'm not isn't a bad thing--not when there's girls involved. I mean it's really as simple as that. Hot girls > the gratitude I get when being true to myself.

...Forget the fact that I AM being true to myself since in my mind I'm still an atheist.

Good suggestion though.

Dude, you don't have a set of balls if you have to pretend to be something to get chicks. I get chicks without lying. They may not like what religion I am, but it doesn't stop them from dropping their panties.

I am not liking the objectification going on here. "Chicks" are women, and they are not "gotten." They are people who choose to or choose not to be with someone. They aren't awards.

Jobs aren't awards either. It is a relationship between an employer and employee that can only be achieved and maintained when both parties consciously decide to be in that relationship, but there is no problem saying "I just got the job".

Yes, but jobs are an achievement, and you have ownership at the end. I'm uncomfortable with the Idea of possessing a person.

No, you don't "own" your job. And saying "I just got a girlfriend/boyfriend" is not the same as saying you own the person. Now, with those relationship's there is often an expectation that one won't engage with relations with someone else (though that can vary from relationship to relationship).

I can agree with that. I just don't like how it seemed like a girlfriend was something to be earned.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 8:48:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/17/2014 8:36:58 PM, kbub wrote:
At 8/17/2014 8:29:55 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/17/2014 8:22:35 PM, kbub wrote:
At 8/17/2014 8:15:23 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/17/2014 7:49:44 PM, kbub wrote:
At 8/11/2014 5:41:55 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 8/8/2014 4:10:11 PM, Master_De_Bater wrote:
....OR I can get a hot girl and keep my current set of balls. Pretending to be something I'm not isn't a bad thing--not when there's girls involved. I mean it's really as simple as that. Hot girls > the gratitude I get when being true to myself.

...Forget the fact that I AM being true to myself since in my mind I'm still an atheist.

Good suggestion though.

Dude, you don't have a set of balls if you have to pretend to be something to get chicks. I get chicks without lying. They may not like what religion I am, but it doesn't stop them from dropping their panties.

I am not liking the objectification going on here. "Chicks" are women, and they are not "gotten." They are people who choose to or choose not to be with someone. They aren't awards.

Jobs aren't awards either. It is a relationship between an employer and employee that can only be achieved and maintained when both parties consciously decide to be in that relationship, but there is no problem saying "I just got the job".

Yes, but jobs are an achievement, and you have ownership at the end. I'm uncomfortable with the Idea of possessing a person.

No, you don't "own" your job. And saying "I just got a girlfriend/boyfriend" is not the same as saying you own the person. Now, with those relationship's there is often an expectation that one won't engage with relations with someone else (though that can vary from relationship to relationship).

I can agree with that. I just don't like how it seemed like a girlfriend was something to be earned.

But it should make sense right? Someone chooses to be with you because of how you are and what you do. So the fact that the relationship exists is largely because of things that you have done. In that respect "earned," while not a perfect word to describe it, can fit and make sense.

I mean, as long as no one is saying upon the break up (though they often do) "HEY, I EARNED YOU!!!"
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 8:56:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/17/2014 8:48:24 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

I mean, as long as no one is saying upon the break up (though they often do) "HEY, I EARNED YOU!!!"

But they did earn the alimony.
My work here is, finally, done.
kbub
Posts: 1,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 9:03:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/17/2014 8:48:24 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/17/2014 8:36:58 PM, kbub wrote:
At 8/17/2014 8:29:55 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/17/2014 8:22:35 PM, kbub wrote:
At 8/17/2014 8:15:23 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/17/2014 7:49:44 PM, kbub wrote:
At 8/11/2014 5:41:55 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 8/8/2014 4:10:11 PM, Master_De_Bater wrote:
....OR I can get a hot girl and keep my current set of balls. Pretending to be something I'm not isn't a bad thing--not when there's girls involved. I mean it's really as simple as that. Hot girls > the gratitude I get when being true to myself.


...Forget the fact that I AM being true to myself since in my mind I'm still an atheist.

Good suggestion though.

Dude, you don't have a set of balls if you have to pretend to be something to get chicks. I get chicks without lying. They may not like what religion I am, but it doesn't stop them from dropping their panties.

I am not liking the objectification going on here. "Chicks" are women, and they are not "gotten." They are people who choose to or choose not to be with someone. They aren't awards.

Jobs aren't awards either. It is a relationship between an employer and employee that can only be achieved and maintained when both parties consciously decide to be in that relationship, but there is no problem saying "I just got the job".

Yes, but jobs are an achievement, and you have ownership at the end. I'm uncomfortable with the Idea of possessing a person.

No, you don't "own" your job. And saying "I just got a girlfriend/boyfriend" is not the same as saying you own the person. Now, with those relationship's there is often an expectation that one won't engage with relations with someone else (though that can vary from relationship to relationship).

I can agree with that. I just don't like how it seemed like a girlfriend was something to be earned.

But it should make sense right? Someone chooses to be with you because of how you are and what you do. So the fact that the relationship exists is largely because of things that you have done. In that respect "earned," while not a perfect word to describe it, can fit and make sense.

I mean, as long as no one is saying upon the break up (though they often do) "HEY, I EARNED YOU!!!"

I see what you mean, and you have a point. What I consider to be a problem with thinking of a girlfriend or boyfriend as earned is that it is like thinking of them as an object. Look back at the post I was commenting on--I don't think he meant anything by it, but when he talks about how his actions cause a sufficient number of women to "drop their panties," does it seem like he is referring to them as people, or as vaginas?
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 9:12:37 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/17/2014 7:49:44 PM, kbub wrote:
At 8/11/2014 5:41:55 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 8/8/2014 4:10:11 PM, Master_De_Bater wrote:
....OR I can get a hot girl and keep my current set of balls. Pretending to be something I'm not isn't a bad thing--not when there's girls involved. I mean it's really as simple as that. Hot girls > the gratitude I get when being true to myself.

...Forget the fact that I AM being true to myself since in my mind I'm still an atheist.

Good suggestion though.

Dude, you don't have a set of balls if you have to pretend to be something to get chicks. I get chicks without lying. They may not like what religion I am, but it doesn't stop them from dropping their panties.

I am not liking the objectification going on here. "Chicks" are women, and they are not "gotten." They are people who choose to or choose not to be with someone. They aren't awards.

Stop inventing reasons to be offended by stuff. The word chicks is interchangable with the word female or lady and has the same exact meaning. I know it makes you feel better than people when you invent reasons to be offended, but really it makes you immature.

Why is it that a lot of liberal types play this game called "he who is offended first wins"?
kbub
Posts: 1,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 9:15:35 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/17/2014 9:12:37 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 8/17/2014 7:49:44 PM, kbub wrote:
At 8/11/2014 5:41:55 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 8/8/2014 4:10:11 PM, Master_De_Bater wrote:
....OR I can get a hot girl and keep my current set of balls. Pretending to be something I'm not isn't a bad thing--not when there's girls involved. I mean it's really as simple as that. Hot girls > the gratitude I get when being true to myself.

...Forget the fact that I AM being true to myself since in my mind I'm still an atheist.

Good suggestion though.

Dude, you don't have a set of balls if you have to pretend to be something to get chicks. I get chicks without lying. They may not like what religion I am, but it doesn't stop them from dropping their panties.

I am not liking the objectification going on here. "Chicks" are women, and they are not "gotten." They are people who choose to or choose not to be with someone. They aren't awards.

Stop inventing reasons to be offended by stuff. The word chicks is interchangable with the word female or lady and has the same exact meaning. I know it makes you feel better than people when you invent reasons to be offended, but really it makes you immature.

Why is it that a lot of liberal types play this game called "he who is offended first wins"?

Ok. I'm being sincere, but I'll stop.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 9:15:41 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/17/2014 7:49:44 PM, kbub wrote:
At 8/11/2014 5:41:55 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 8/8/2014 4:10:11 PM, Master_De_Bater wrote:
....OR I can get a hot girl and keep my current set of balls. Pretending to be something I'm not isn't a bad thing--not when there's girls involved. I mean it's really as simple as that. Hot girls > the gratitude I get when being true to myself.

...Forget the fact that I AM being true to myself since in my mind I'm still an atheist.

Good suggestion though.

Dude, you don't have a set of balls if you have to pretend to be something to get chicks. I get chicks without lying. They may not like what religion I am, but it doesn't stop them from dropping their panties.

I am not liking the objectification going on here. "Chicks" are women, and they are not "gotten." They are people who choose to or choose not to be with someone. They aren't awards.

The term Get is being twisted by you as well. My intentions were clear. Stop trying to elaborate reasons why you're morally superior to everyone else.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 9:18:22 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/17/2014 9:15:35 PM, kbub wrote:
At 8/17/2014 9:12:37 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 8/17/2014 7:49:44 PM, kbub wrote:
At 8/11/2014 5:41:55 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 8/8/2014 4:10:11 PM, Master_De_Bater wrote:
....OR I can get a hot girl and keep my current set of balls. Pretending to be something I'm not isn't a bad thing--not when there's girls involved. I mean it's really as simple as that. Hot girls > the gratitude I get when being true to myself.

...Forget the fact that I AM being true to myself since in my mind I'm still an atheist.

Good suggestion though.

Dude, you don't have a set of balls if you have to pretend to be something to get chicks. I get chicks without lying. They may not like what religion I am, but it doesn't stop them from dropping their panties.

I am not liking the objectification going on here. "Chicks" are women, and they are not "gotten." They are people who choose to or choose not to be with someone. They aren't awards.

Stop inventing reasons to be offended by stuff. The word chicks is interchangable with the word female or lady and has the same exact meaning. I know it makes you feel better than people when you invent reasons to be offended, but really it makes you immature.

Why is it that a lot of liberal types play this game called "he who is offended first wins"?

Ok. I'm being sincere, but I'll stop.
I wouldn't even have commented if I saw you already had this conversation with someone else, sorry.
kbub
Posts: 1,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 9:18:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/17/2014 9:15:41 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 8/17/2014 7:49:44 PM, kbub wrote:
At 8/11/2014 5:41:55 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 8/8/2014 4:10:11 PM, Master_De_Bater wrote:
....OR I can get a hot girl and keep my current set of balls. Pretending to be something I'm not isn't a bad thing--not when there's girls involved. I mean it's really as simple as that. Hot girls > the gratitude I get when being true to myself.

...Forget the fact that I AM being true to myself since in my mind I'm still an atheist.

Good suggestion though.

Dude, you don't have a set of balls if you have to pretend to be something to get chicks. I get chicks without lying. They may not like what religion I am, but it doesn't stop them from dropping their panties.

I am not liking the objectification going on here. "Chicks" are women, and they are not "gotten." They are people who choose to or choose not to be with someone. They aren't awards.

The term Get is being twisted by you as well. My intentions were clear. Stop trying to elaborate reasons why you're morally superior to everyone else.

I know you didn't mean anything by it. I just believe in pointing out these things when I hear them. I realize there's a balance, though, and that I sometime cross the line. I'll try to be more careful to meet the balance in the future.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 9:44:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/17/2014 9:03:59 PM, kbub wrote:
At 8/17/2014 8:48:24 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/17/2014 8:36:58 PM, kbub wrote:
At 8/17/2014 8:29:55 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/17/2014 8:22:35 PM, kbub wrote:
At 8/17/2014 8:15:23 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/17/2014 7:49:44 PM, kbub wrote:
At 8/11/2014 5:41:55 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 8/8/2014 4:10:11 PM, Master_De_Bater wrote:
....OR I can get a hot girl and keep my current set of balls. Pretending to be something I'm not isn't a bad thing--not when there's girls involved. I mean it's really as simple as that. Hot girls > the gratitude I get when being true to myself.



...Forget the fact that I AM being true to myself since in my mind I'm still an atheist.

Good suggestion though.

Dude, you don't have a set of balls if you have to pretend to be something to get chicks. I get chicks without lying. They may not like what religion I am, but it doesn't stop them from dropping their panties.

I am not liking the objectification going on here. "Chicks" are women, and they are not "gotten." They are people who choose to or choose not to be with someone. They aren't awards.

Jobs aren't awards either. It is a relationship between an employer and employee that can only be achieved and maintained when both parties consciously decide to be in that relationship, but there is no problem saying "I just got the job".

Yes, but jobs are an achievement, and you have ownership at the end. I'm uncomfortable with the Idea of possessing a person.

No, you don't "own" your job. And saying "I just got a girlfriend/boyfriend" is not the same as saying you own the person. Now, with those relationship's there is often an expectation that one won't engage with relations with someone else (though that can vary from relationship to relationship).

I can agree with that. I just don't like how it seemed like a girlfriend was something to be earned.

But it should make sense right? Someone chooses to be with you because of how you are and what you do. So the fact that the relationship exists is largely because of things that you have done. In that respect "earned," while not a perfect word to describe it, can fit and make sense.

I mean, as long as no one is saying upon the break up (though they often do) "HEY, I EARNED YOU!!!"

I see what you mean, and you have a point. What I consider to be a problem with thinking of a girlfriend or boyfriend as earned is that it is like thinking of them as an object. Look back at the post I was commenting on--I don't think he meant anything by it, but when he talks about how his actions cause a sufficient number of women to "drop their panties," does it seem like he is referring to them as people, or as vaginas?

As people with vaginas. There is nothing wrong with being "pro-vagina" (or pro-boobs, as is the usually the example) so long as you are not being "anti-person." The two are not mutually exclusive. Unless someone actively dismiss one for the other, one are just jumping to conclusions.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
kbub
Posts: 1,377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 9:53:10 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/17/2014 9:44:59 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/17/2014 9:03:59 PM, kbub wrote:
At 8/17/2014 8:48:24 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/17/2014 8:36:58 PM, kbub wrote:
At 8/17/2014 8:29:55 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/17/2014 8:22:35 PM, kbub wrote:
At 8/17/2014 8:15:23 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/17/2014 7:49:44 PM, kbub wrote:
At 8/11/2014 5:41:55 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 8/8/2014 4:10:11 PM, Master_De_Bater wrote:
....OR I can get a hot girl and keep my current set of balls. Pretending to be something I'm not isn't a bad thing--not when there's girls involved. I mean it's really as simple as that. Hot girls > the gratitude I get when being true to myself.



...Forget the fact that I AM being true to myself since in my mind I'm still an atheist.

Good suggestion though.

Dude, you don't have a set of balls if you have to pretend to be something to get chicks. I get chicks without lying. They may not like what religion I am, but it doesn't stop them from dropping their panties.

I am not liking the objectification going on here. "Chicks" are women, and they are not "gotten." They are people who choose to or choose not to be with someone. They aren't awards.

Jobs aren't awards either. It is a relationship between an employer and employee that can only be achieved and maintained when both parties consciously decide to be in that relationship, but there is no problem saying "I just got the job".

Yes, but jobs are an achievement, and you have ownership at the end. I'm uncomfortable with the Idea of possessing a person.

No, you don't "own" your job. And saying "I just got a girlfriend/boyfriend" is not the same as saying you own the person. Now, with those relationship's there is often an expectation that one won't engage with relations with someone else (though that can vary from relationship to relationship).

I can agree with that. I just don't like how it seemed like a girlfriend was something to be earned.

But it should make sense right? Someone chooses to be with you because of how you are and what you do. So the fact that the relationship exists is largely because of things that you have done. In that respect "earned," while not a perfect word to describe it, can fit and make sense.

I mean, as long as no one is saying upon the break up (though they often do) "HEY, I EARNED YOU!!!"

I see what you mean, and you have a point. What I consider to be a problem with thinking of a girlfriend or boyfriend as earned is that it is like thinking of them as an object. Look back at the post I was commenting on--I don't think he meant anything by it, but when he talks about how his actions cause a sufficient number of women to "drop their panties," does it seem like he is referring to them as people, or as vaginas?

As people with vaginas. There is nothing wrong with being "pro-vagina" (or pro-boobs, as is the usually the example) so long as you are not being "anti-person." The two are not mutually exclusive. Unless someone actively dismiss one for the other, one are just jumping to conclusions.

I think you might be missing what I'm saying. Treating a person as a body part to be utilized for your own pleasure is a form of subjugation. It is, in a way, anti-person. I'm not anti-vagina, but want to emphasize that the vagina is a small subscript of the person, and not vice-versa. In the instance we were discussing, there was no other person--only the narrator and his enjoyment. The other only existed insofar as she was able to provide sexual and egotistical satisfaction to the narrator--at least in this hypothetical.
rross
Posts: 2,772
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2014 11:17:35 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/17/2014 9:18:32 PM, kbub wrote:
At 8/17/2014 9:15:41 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 8/17/2014 7:49:44 PM, kbub wrote:
At 8/11/2014 5:41:55 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 8/8/2014 4:10:11 PM, Master_De_Bater wrote:
....OR I can get a hot girl and keep my current set of balls. Pretending to be something I'm not isn't a bad thing--not when there's girls involved. I mean it's really as simple as that. Hot girls > the gratitude I get when being true to myself.

...Forget the fact that I AM being true to myself since in my mind I'm still an atheist.

Good suggestion though.

Dude, you don't have a set of balls if you have to pretend to be something to get chicks. I get chicks without lying. They may not like what religion I am, but it doesn't stop them from dropping their panties.

I am not liking the objectification going on here. "Chicks" are women, and they are not "gotten." They are people who choose to or choose not to be with someone. They aren't awards.

The term Get is being twisted by you as well. My intentions were clear. Stop trying to elaborate reasons why you're morally superior to everyone else.

I know you didn't mean anything by it. I just believe in pointing out these things when I hear them. I realize there's a balance, though, and that I sometime cross the line. I'll try to be more careful to meet the balance in the future.

kbub, I really love the arguments you've made here and on that other rape thread as well. I hate the way men are always objectifying women and whining about rape, but I get exhausted by arguing it all the time on this site. I mean, it's not the only thing to talk about in life. So I can't always be bothered.

But you argue things really well, and you stay amazingly polite, and I agree with you 100%. And I don't think you're trying to be morally superior; I think you are just naturally morally superior, and frankly it's pretty hard for anyone not to be morally superior to wylted. So it's a pretty unreasonable objection.

In other words, thank you. I'm a big fan. <3
rross
Posts: 2,772
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2014 1:09:08 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/17/2014 11:17:35 PM, rross wrote:
And I don't think you're trying to be morally superior; I think you are just naturally morally superior, and frankly it's pretty hard for anyone not to be morally superior to wylted. So it's a pretty unreasonable objection.

^ shouldn't have made this bitchy comment about wylted. Should have just left it out. Sorry.