Total Posts:5|Showing Posts:1-5
Jump to topic:

Are humans a rational or violent animal?

DB9KIT
Posts: 11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2014 6:03:17 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I've been for a long time dubious about this question. Yes, perhaps we all do know that socialization, family, friends, social milieus, or the like..could shape human behavior"whether to use violence or rationality for problem-solving. Some people resort to physically fighting another when it comes to disagreement. However wisely, some use their rationality to mediate disagreement"talking reasonably: no physical fight: etc.
We all know that whether one is violence-oriented or rational depends on the environments in which they grow up. But if without variable factors as such, will they be "inherently" violent ? or rational?
Some theories posited that humans are born rational"using reason to solve problems.
However, I'm just suspicious that why there are times I've seen people feel better when they run into trouble"such as getting into a discourse or disagreement with friends"and thus resort to violation or fighting others. If displaying violence and resorting to violation makes one feel emotionally relieved, can I jump to the conclusion that humans are born violent?
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2014 6:20:10 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/8/2014 6:03:17 PM, DB9KIT wrote:
I've been for a long time dubious about this question. Yes, perhaps we all do know that socialization, family, friends, social milieus, or the like..could shape human behavior"whether to use violence or rationality for problem-solving. Some people resort to physically fighting another when it comes to disagreement. However wisely, some use their rationality to mediate disagreement"talking reasonably: no physical fight: etc.
We all know that whether one is violence-oriented or rational depends on the environments in which they grow up. But if without variable factors as such, will they be "inherently" violent ? or rational?
Some theories posited that humans are born rational"using reason to solve problems.
However, I'm just suspicious that why there are times I've seen people feel better when they run into trouble"such as getting into a discourse or disagreement with friends"and thus resort to violation or fighting others. If displaying violence and resorting to violation makes one feel emotionally relieved, can I jump to the conclusion that humans are born violent?

Humans are inherently much more cooperative than they may appear. Consider that most parents (about 90%) routinely use physical and verbal abuse to control their children. If that were to be corrected (through legeslation, education, etc), then it follows that our species would become dramatically less violent.

Paleolithic children weren't dominated by their parents the way children are today. In many ways, civilization has caused us to devolve and become more violent than our paleo ancestors.

(I should point out that I haven't researched this subject very extensively so most of what I'm saying here is conjectural.)
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2014 6:45:15 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/8/2014 6:20:10 PM, vbaculum wrote:
At 8/8/2014 6:03:17 PM, DB9KIT wrote:
I've been for a long time dubious about this question. Yes, perhaps we all do know that socialization, family, friends, social milieus, or the like..could shape human behavior"whether to use violence or rationality for problem-solving. Some people resort to physically fighting another when it comes to disagreement. However wisely, some use their rationality to mediate disagreement"talking reasonably: no physical fight: etc.
We all know that whether one is violence-oriented or rational depends on the environments in which they grow up. But if without variable factors as such, will they be "inherently" violent ? or rational?
Some theories posited that humans are born rational"using reason to solve problems.
However, I'm just suspicious that why there are times I've seen people feel better when they run into trouble"such as getting into a discourse or disagreement with friends"and thus resort to violation or fighting others. If displaying violence and resorting to violation makes one feel emotionally relieved, can I jump to the conclusion that humans are born violent?

Humans are inherently much more cooperative than they may appear. Consider that most parents (about 90%) routinely use physical and verbal abuse to control their children. If that were to be corrected (through legeslation, education, etc), then it follows that our species would become dramatically less violent.

Paleolithic children weren't dominated by their parents the way children are today. In many ways, civilization has caused us to devolve and become more violent than our paleo ancestors.

(I should point out that I haven't researched this subject very extensively so most of what I'm saying here is conjectural.)

Here is a citation for the 90% statistic I provided: http://healthland.time.com...

Children who are spanked occasionally are not thought to be significantly impacted later on, but those who are spanked regularly are more likely to have behavior problems that may escalate into antisocial behavior. They may also be at greater risk for anxiety disorders or depression and ultimately may be more likely to engage in domestic violence and child abuse as adults.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Cryo
Posts: 202
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2014 4:43:19 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/8/2014 6:03:17 PM, DB9KIT wrote:
I've been for a long time dubious about this question. Yes, perhaps we all do know that socialization, family, friends, social milieus, or the like..could shape human behavior"whether to use violence or rationality for problem-solving. Some people resort to physically fighting another when it comes to disagreement. However wisely, some use their rationality to mediate disagreement"talking reasonably: no physical fight: etc.

It's not a matter of some people using violence and others using their words. All humans have the capacity for violence, and all have the capacity for reason. Yes, our environment and upbringing and genetics all play a factor in whether we lean towards violence or reason, but you can't just divide people up into categories of "violent" and "rational". A person could use violence to settle an issue one day and use their words and reason to settle an issue the next.

We all know that whether one is violence-oriented or rational depends on the environments in which they grow up. But if without variable factors as such, will they be "inherently" violent ? or rational?

If you take away variables like culture, societal conditioning and parenting, then all you're really left with is genetics, and we know that some people can be genetically predisposed to certain behaviors, but it's incorrect to say that people are "born violent" or "born rational", rather, we are born with the capacity for both violence and reason.

Some theories posited that humans are born rational"using reason to solve problems.

Again, it's both. We are born both with the capacity to use violence and rational thought. We can lean to one side or another, but it's never one or the other all the time.

However, I'm just suspicious that why there are times I've seen people feel better when they run into trouble"such as getting into a discourse or disagreement with friends"and thus resort to violation or fighting others. If displaying violence and resorting to violation makes one feel emotionally relieved, can I jump to the conclusion that humans are born violent?

Conflict, whether verbal or physical, can release tension and relieve stress, but this doesn't mean that those people are simply born violent. It's an oversimplification of the issue.
neptune1bond
Posts: 400
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2014 8:19:49 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/8/2014 6:03:17 PM, DB9KIT wrote:
I've been for a long time dubious about this question. Yes, perhaps we all do know that socialization, family, friends, social milieus, or the like..could shape human behavior"whether to use violence or rationality for problem-solving. Some people resort to physically fighting another when it comes to disagreement. However wisely, some use their rationality to mediate disagreement"talking reasonably: no physical fight: etc.
We all know that whether one is violence-oriented or rational depends on the environments in which they grow up. But if without variable factors as such, will they be "inherently" violent ? or rational?
Some theories posited that humans are born rational"using reason to solve problems.
However, I'm just suspicious that why there are times I've seen people feel better when they run into trouble"such as getting into a discourse or disagreement with friends"and thus resort to violation or fighting others. If displaying violence and resorting to violation makes one feel emotionally relieved, can I jump to the conclusion that humans are born violent?

I don't think you can jump to the conclusion that humans are born violent. There is almost no way to remove the influence of your environment in how you were raised. In fact, the human tendency is to learn their behaviors based on example and the circumstances they experienced. No matter how a person may act, there is no way to say that they didn't somehow learn it from the people that they were exposed to and those people's actions. Even if you completely removed all other humans from the equation, then the person would learn their behaviors from the animals that they came into contact with as well as what they learned out of a necessity for survival (which could go either way based on the circumstance). If you removed all other people AND animals, then there is nothing and no one else to react against (whether violently or through rational conversation) and therefor the question becomes irrelevant.