Total Posts:6|Showing Posts:1-6
Jump to topic:

Surveillance and Government

epv
Posts: 2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2014 6:45:40 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Governments are legislating today. They are working on behalf of the people , or at least this must be the case. The citizens vote governments. Those citizens that read in the newspaper some weeks ago how their Government is rushing through emergency legislation underpinning the state's right to keep personal data held by internet and phone companies.
If someone asked to borrow you phone, even if it is a friend, because he wants to read your messages, your emails, your last calls, or see your pictures...you would say...what? why? and after most of the people would say...NO!
Why we value our privacy offline, but when it comes to the online world...we allow entire governments to spy on us and on every single thing we do?
If a policeman arrest you on the stree because your talking on the phone with someone that they might decide is not good for you...for sure you will complaint. But when this is happening online, on the other side of the screen of your computer or phone we do not do anything because it is invisible?
Let's make the invisible transparent!
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2014 7:41:27 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/14/2014 6:45:40 AM, epv wrote:
Governments are legislating today. They are working on behalf of the people , or at least this must be the case. The citizens vote governments. Those citizens that read in the newspaper some weeks ago how their Government is rushing through emergency legislation underpinning the state's right to keep personal data held by internet and phone companies.
If someone asked to borrow you phone, even if it is a friend, because he wants to read your messages, your emails, your last calls, or see your pictures...you would say...what? why? and after most of the people would say...NO!
Why we value our privacy offline, but when it comes to the online world...we allow entire governments to spy on us and on every single thing we do?
If a policeman arrest you on the stree because your talking on the phone with someone that they might decide is not good for you...for sure you will complaint. But when this is happening online, on the other side of the screen of your computer or phone we do not do anything because it is invisible?
Let's make the invisible transparent!

really, to the bolded?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Pablohamburger
Posts: 2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2014 8:37:23 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I personally believe that organizations like NSA is invading the privacy of its people and are for no reason making every body into a possible suspect, but i found thi blog that has some interesting points and arguments for why NSA and surveillance in general might be necessary!
here is the link:
http://mrkobna.com...
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2014 6:26:56 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/1/2014 8:37:23 AM, Pablohamburger wrote:
I personally believe that organizations like NSA is invading the privacy of its people and are for no reason making every body into a possible suspect, but i found thi blog that has some interesting points and arguments for why NSA and surveillance in general might be necessary!
here is the link:
http://mrkobna.com...

I don't think it's productive to characterize oppressive institutions as acting "for no reason". Governments have plenty of reasons for the things they do. In fact, they could be said to adhere to 'reasons' which are necessarily inscribed into their very function. Perhaps it would prove more fruitful to probe into the internal rationality of these institutions (like the federal government, I suppose) in order to make more readily available what choices, presumptions, counters, or attacks on "our" (a fictive but tactically necessary unity) part either subvert or reify those oppressive practices.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2014 3:43:10 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/2/2014 6:26:56 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 10/1/2014 8:37:23 AM, Pablohamburger wrote:
I personally believe that organizations like NSA is invading the privacy of its people and are for no reason making every body into a possible suspect, but i found thi blog that has some interesting points and arguments for why NSA and surveillance in general might be necessary!
here is the link:
http://mrkobna.com...

I don't think it's productive to characterize oppressive institutions as acting "for no reason". Governments have plenty of reasons for the things they do. In fact, they could be said to adhere to 'reasons' which are necessarily inscribed into their very function. Perhaps it would prove more fruitful to probe into the internal rationality of these institutions (like the federal government, I suppose) in order to make more readily available what choices, presumptions, counters, or attacks on "our" (a fictive but tactically necessary unity) part either subvert or reify those oppressive practices.

Excellent points. I would simply make explicit that the reasons of government are frequently the interests of the economic power elite and the preservation of the power structure that the elite has a quite deep vested interest in.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
fazz
Posts: 1,617
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2014 10:34:08 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/1/2014 8:37:23 AM, Pablohamburger wrote:
I personally believe that organizations like NSA is invading the privacy of its people and are for no reason making every body into a possible suspect, but i found thi blog that has some interesting points and arguments for why NSA and surveillance in general might be necessary!
here is the link:
http://mrkobna.com...

Dude, stop spamming us with your useless blog, ok?