Jump to topic:

We Trust Ourselves

s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2014 9:04:04 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
While listening to a TED talk on the radio, I heard a woman say we trust that which is most familiar to us, and what is more familiar than ourselves. In saying this, she went on to explain why it is we have greater trust in those people who are most like us.

I thought about this and the fact Jungian psychology teaches each of us is primarily divided into two parts: the physical and the emotional. Some of us put greater emphasis on the physical, while others put greater emphasis on the emotional. Those of us who have an affinity to our physical side tend towards materialism, and we see ourselves in that which we possess. Those of us who have an affinity to our emotional side tend towards transcendence, moving beyond the physical.

So, either way, there's an autonomy, whether defined by a physical or an emotional demarcation. If we see ourselves as physically autonomous, we gravitate towards those who are most like us physically, or materialistically. If we see ourselves as emotionally autonomous, we gravitate towards those who are most like us emotionally or metaphysically.

In saying this, I am not saying we are one or the other; we are both, yet at differing degrees. An emotional personality may, at times, be materialistic; and, a physical personality may, at times, be emotional. It's not exceptions that define us, but consistencies.