Jump to topic:

Family: What does it mean?

ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2014 8:19:18 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I know this might sound corny, but what is your view and opinion on family. What is a family and what makes a family? I am doing a topic about this for English and I just wanna see what your views are?

I personally think family is couple and their kid(s) who really try their best to make a good life for each other.
TheGallagher
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2014 6:08:14 AM
Its sharing something in common with something else. What that means depends on you. Its traditionally seen as blood. Although it can be other characteristics, for example tigers and lions are in the big cat family. Even ideaologies or sects of the same religion.
I guess what you are really trying to define is the interpersonal relationships of us humans. For me personally, I don't define it with just blood, its much more than that.
I think if more people treated family this way then family might actually mean something. Who knows, just my 2 cents.
LogicalLunatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 1:49:38 PM
At 9/4/2014 8:19:18 AM, ChristianPunk wrote:
I know this might sound corny, but what is your view and opinion on family. What is a family and what makes a family? I am doing a topic about this for English and I just wanna see what your views are?

I personally think family is couple and their kid(s) who really try their best to make a good life for each other.

So you consider an unmarried couple which is living together and having sex to be equal to a married couple?
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 2:19:41 PM
At 9/21/2014 1:49:38 PM, LogicalLunatic wrote:

So you consider an unmarried couple which is living together and having sex to be equal to a married couple?

Yes. They had a child too. This is my older sister and her now husband since he asked her out by putting a t shirt on my nephew that said "Will you marry my Daddy?" Marriage is next year. I believe they are equal.
JasperFrancisShickadance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 2:31:06 PM

In this culture, a family could mean anything. Tell me what a family ISN'T.
My cat knows how I feel (inside joke). Oh and I'm a klutz who loves to make people laugh! I want to be remembered for my hospitality and humor.
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 3:09:07 PM
At 9/21/2014 2:31:06 PM, JasperFrancisShickadance wrote:

A family can't consist of a beastiality relationship. It's not consent. Heck, the animal wouldn't even be aware that a human wants to start a family.

This is the rl of what a society would look like of beastiality.
JasperFrancisShickadance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 3:10:30 PM
At 9/21/2014 3:09:07 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:

A family can't consist of a beastiality relationship. It's not consent. Heck, the animal wouldn't even be aware that a human wants to start a family.

Exactly. The only type of family not accepted by society is "beastiality."
My cat knows how I feel (inside joke). Oh and I'm a klutz who loves to make people laugh! I want to be remembered for my hospitality and humor.
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 3:11:27 PM
At 9/21/2014 3:10:30 PM, JasperFrancisShickadance wrote:

Why is that?
JasperFrancisShickadance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 3:14:19 PM
At 9/21/2014 3:11:27 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:

Why is that?

Do you not agree?
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 3:15:47 PM
At 9/21/2014 3:14:19 PM, JasperFrancisShickadance wrote:

Why is that?

Do you not agree?

I agree it's not accepted by society. I'm asking why is it that it's the only family not accepted by society.
JasperFrancisShickadance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 3:19:02 PM
At 9/21/2014 3:15:47 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:

Why is that?

Do you not agree?

I agree it's not accepted by society. I'm asking why is it that it's the only family not accepted by society.

Give me an example of another family that is not accepted by society.
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 4:07:13 PM
At 9/21/2014 3:19:02 PM, JasperFrancisShickadance wrote:

Why is that?

Do you not agree?

Correction. Incest. And not because of consent. But because of gene deformities from reproduction. So two not exactly accepted by society.

I'm asking you a question so stop avoiding. Why do you think the whole society of America disagrees with beastiality compared to gay marriage/relationships.
JasperFrancisShickadance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 4:14:36 PM
At 9/21/2014 4:07:13 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:

Why is that?

Do you not agree?

Correction. Incest. And not because of consent. But because of gene deformities from reproduction. So two not exactly accepted by society.

I'm asking you a question so stop avoiding. Why do you think the whole society of America disagrees with beastiality compared to gay marriage/relationships.

Because I believe humans are different and better than animals because of our intelligence and emotions. In my opinion family is about the marriage, and because of the reproduction system that can only happen naturally through heterosexuality, therefore gay marriage does not form the right family.

How many families do you see with incest marriages in America? Not very many at all. But you're right, it is not accepted by most people in society.
ChristianPunk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 4:37:12 PM
At 9/21/2014 4:14:36 PM, JasperFrancisShickadance wrote:

Why is that?

Do you not agree?

Because I believe humans are different and better than animals because of our intelligence and emotions. In my opinion family is about the marriage, and because of the reproduction system that can only happen naturally through heterosexuality, therefore gay marriage does not form the right family.

How many families do you see with incest marriages in America? Not very many at all. But you're right, it is not accepted by most people in society.

What about a woman like my step mom who is married to my dad. She can't reproduce or have children. Does that make her and my dad's marriage equal to gays in your opinion?
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 4:47:53 PM

FDR, Albert Einstein, The Mamas and the Papas... read up on it.

It's not accepted, but like drugs and hipsterism, people still do it. All the time.
JasperFrancisShickadance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 4:51:17 PM
At 9/21/2014 4:37:12 PM, ChristianPunk wrote:

Why is that?

Do you not agree?

What about a woman like my step mom who is married to my dad. She can't reproduce or have children. Does that make her and my dad's marriage equal to gays in your opinion?

No. There are other reasons a gay marriage isn't right in my opinion such as the gender differences...
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 6:17:27 PM
At 9/21/2014 4:51:17 PM, JasperFrancisShickadance wrote:

No. There are other reasons a gay marriage isn't right in my opinion such as the gender differences...

What about genitals affects marriage and family?
JasperFrancisShickadance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 6:29:37 PM
At 9/21/2014 6:17:27 PM, Such wrote:

yeah, what about em
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 6:30:58 PM
At 9/21/2014 6:29:37 PM, JasperFrancisShickadance wrote:

yeah, what about em

Personally, I have no idea. I don't understand why "gay marriage" is a modern dialectic at all.
JasperFrancisShickadance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 6:33:47 PM
At 9/21/2014 6:30:58 PM, Such wrote:

yeah, what about em

Personally, I have no idea. I don't understand why "gay marriage" is a modern dialectic at all.

You honestly think it should just be accepted into society as natural and 100% normal without any question or debate?
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 6:37:05 PM
At 9/21/2014 6:33:47 PM, JasperFrancisShickadance wrote:

yeah, what about em

You honestly think it should just be accepted into society as natural and 100% normal without any question or debate?

Yep.
JasperFrancisShickadance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 6:41:30 PM
At 9/21/2014 6:37:05 PM, Such wrote:

yeah, what about em

Yep.

Wow, who's the close minded one here? XD
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 6:42:48 PM
At 9/21/2014 6:41:30 PM, JasperFrancisShickadance wrote:

yeah, what about em

Yep.

Well, so far, I'm not sure. Perhaps neither one of us, but it's yet to be determined, in my opinion.

Let me ask you something.

Should eating human children be up for question or debate?
JasperFrancisShickadance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 6:46:13 PM
At 9/21/2014 6:42:48 PM, Such wrote:

yeah, what about em

Yep.

Well, so far, I'm not sure. Perhaps neither one of us, but it's yet to be determined, in my opinion.

Nope, but do you think so?
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 6:48:27 PM
At 9/21/2014 6:46:13 PM, JasperFrancisShickadance wrote:

yeah, what about em

Yep.

Nope, and I don't consider that closed-minded at all, do you?

If not, then we can satisfactorily accept that simply considering a conclusion is not one that isn't up for question or debate on its own merit closed-minded.

In which case, you'd have to come up with some substantiation for why it should be for gay marriage.

In which case, I'm waiting for you to tell me what it is, if there is such a substantiation.
JasperFrancisShickadance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 6:51:33 PM
At 9/21/2014 6:48:27 PM, Such wrote:
At 9/21/2014 4:51:17 PM, JasperFrancisShickadance wrote

Yep.

If not, then we can satisfactorily accept that simply considering a conclusion is not one that isn't up for question or debate on its own merit closed-minded.

In which case, you'd have to come up with some substantiation for why it should be for gay marriage.

In which case, I'm waiting for you to tell me what it is, if there is such a substantiation.

It's not close minded because there's nobody who has a mind you should be open to.

It's an opinion to think this shouldn't be up to debate.
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 6:53:48 PM
At 9/21/2014 6:51:33 PM, JasperFrancisShickadance wrote:

Yep.

It's not close minded because there's nobody who has a mind you should be open to.

I'm not sure what you meant here.

But, I think you're saying that I'm being opinionated about whether gay marriage should be up for debate.

In which case, yes, I am, but everyone who has anything to say at all about the subject, including you, are being opinionated, as well.

Let me restate my stance a slightly different way:

I don't think that gay marriage should require any further substantiation then marriage in general. If you disagree, why?
JasperFrancisShickadance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2014 7:01:05 PM
At 9/21/2014 6:53:48 PM, Such wrote:
At 9/21/2014 6:51:33 PM, JasperFrancisShickadance wrote:

Yep.

I'm not sure what you meant here.

But, I think you're saying that I'm being opinionated about whether gay marriage should be up for debate.

In which case, yes, I am, but everyone who has anything to say at all about the subject, including you, are being opinionated, as well.

Let me restate my stance a slightly different way:

I don't think that gay marriage should require any further substantiation then marriage in general. If you disagree, why?

What you're trying to say is that I need to explain why I don't think gay marriage is ok. Well I don't think gay marriage is real marriage at all.