Jump to topic:

Mind Control vs. Death Penalty

Immortal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2010 9:21:10 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
No one should face the death penalty. Anyone deserving of the death penalty should have their free will eliminated. Since society considers them useless and disposes them with death, why not have them subjected to mind control? Now we got some free slave labor. Better to use them than to throw them away for good. Thoughts?
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2010 9:38:40 PM
Why would you guys ruin a serious thread? The trolling is getting old.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2010 1:40:24 AM
Maybe, and the wages they would otherwise receive would go towards their victims? But not on a large scale as slavery creates unemployment.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Immortal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2010 8:52:47 AM
At 3/20/2010 1:40:24 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Maybe, and the wages they would otherwise receive would go towards their victims? But not on a large scale as slavery creates unemployment.

Their victims are mindless robots. No need to supply wages. Humans have better things to do than garbage collectors, portable toilet cleaners, sewer inspectors, and coal miners.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2010 11:20:19 AM
At 3/20/2010 8:52:47 AM, Immortal wrote:
At 3/20/2010 1:40:24 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Their victims are mindless robots. No need to supply wages. Humans have better things to do than garbage collectors, portable toilet cleaners, sewer inspectors, and coal miners.

What I think Cerebral_Narcissist is saying is that normal ppl can't compete with slaves, because, whereas slaves will work unconditionally and without any pay, normal ppl require wages and benefits.

Here's an example.

While garbage collecting is certainly not one of the better jobs out there, for some it is the best job they can get, given their skills, environment, and particular needs. As a matter of fact, garbage collectors are actually payed very well, because the demand for garbage collecting is high while the supply of garbage collectors is low--the perfect combination for high prices (or in this case wages).

So, if you were to have these slaves introduced as a possible means of garbage collecting, the current garbage collectors would simply not be able to compete with these slaves, because companies will always prefer paying no wages to paying high wages. So, put more simply, with this slave labor, CN's concern is that the current garbage collectors would be put out of a job.

That said, I very much disagree with CN.

Today, many prosecutors do not urge the death penalty, because prosecutors know that many juries will simply not convict anyone who will face the death penalty as a result of their conviction. These juries are afraid of wrongful executions, and will, because death is irreversible, not want to accidentally make the wrong decision.

However, slave labor is reversible, and as such more prosecutors will want to urge slave labor, because more juries would be OK with it.

Because of this greatly heightened chance of getting this ultimate punishment (slave labor), many would-be criminals will not commit crimes they otherwise would.

This accomplishes three things. First, it lowers the rate of serious crime. Secondly, it provides a free labor force that will never grow too unsustainably large for economic competition to become a problem. Lastly, those accidentally convicted of a serious crime can potentially be proven innocent at a later date, because the punishment of slave labor is reversible.

All that said, mind control is bad, because if valid, it too is irreversible and not to mention incredibly inhumane.

So, I agree with slave labor being a superior punishment to the death penalty, but mind control is just silly, if it is even possible and proficient. Somehow I doubt that it is.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2010 11:26:03 AM
Encouraging juries to convict by means of reversibility is as good as declaring "I don't care if they are innocent, I just want more convictions."

Very very few reversals occur. Especially when the prisoner isn't awaiting irreversible punishment.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2010 11:34:45 AM
At 3/20/2010 11:26:03 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Encouraging juries to convict by means of reversibility is as good as declaring "I don't care if they are innocent, I just want more convictions."

Not relevant.

We're imagining a world in which the death penalty does not exist, and forced labor is the maximum punishment.

Very very few reversals occur. Especially when the prisoner isn't awaiting irreversible punishment.

Is it OK to sacrifice the lives of the few to uphold a disgusting and immoral practice?

So far, fifteen death row inmates have been exonerated due to DNA evidence in the United States. Many more have been exonerated by other means.

Wrongful execution--execution in general for that matter--is wrong.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...