Epidemic of Homeless Gay Youth

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2014 8:15:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
http://www.rollingstone.com...

I want you all to read this article. It's not very long. Then, tell me what you think about it.

What do you think can be done to fix this?

What is the first step?
Tsar of DDO
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2014 8:39:11 PM
Two things, I suppose:

1. Teens should be aware of their surroundings and not come out until they are at least an adult. (when I hear teen, I assume minor)
2. Kickstart group homes for them.
My work here is, finally, done.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 9:31:00 AM
This is a shame, no doubt about it, but it looks to me a product of psychological reactance: homosexuality in place of alcoholism and drug abuse. And that's not to belittle homosexuality, but rather humanity in its formative years. And again, I think it's important that homosexuality be regarded as such. That is, a choice of sorts.

As to why Christianity condemns homosexuality, I have some notions. Perhaps, for instance, homosexuality brings to bear matchings which are particularly striking in terms of human beings coming together for power. Further, perhaps it creates a most threatening sort of "other", that it is an almost absolute denial of that uniformity for which we all lust. And indeed it is true that many females suffer some considerable mental turmoil at the thought of male homosexuality and this then can be taken as an example of what I'm talking about--the female knows that most frightening "other" in the homosexual male, he who she has no devices to control, and so you'll often find somewhat awkward, pretty girls in the acquaintance of homosexuals: friendship where sex fails. Christianity is, first and foremost, order--stringent and precise. Of course perhaps it has nothing to do with the "other", but only controlling sex which can be so enlightening as to our nature, but the whole "choice" debate taken into account, I think it does.

As to a solution, then, really I have no idea. At times I think Christian doctrine is so marvellously psychologically incisive and penetrating, and even moral in a pessimistic sense, that it is the best we're going to get and that the homosexual will forever be the minority villain, even serving as a catalyst for Christian feelings of rightness and righteousness--serving to prop up the religion, if you will; absurdity of absurdities. Though, then again, consumerism may very well create of us a whole over time, unite all of us in a petty struggle against each other. Hard to know, but either of those possibilities seems miserable in my opinion. Or perhaps by the frequent exposure to homosexual emotion so similar to our own which the media affords us (no homo, lol) we might grow in oneness over time, just as how black people came to be regarded as "the same" in America. And that possibility doesn't seem so bad, even if I am dubious of people's intentions--including my own--in raising others level with them (I am reminded of Jim Jones who was head of that suicide cult and basically armoured himself by others in his passing in my opinion--I do not think one can justify convincing others to kill themselves, or their children especially, state of the world aside).

A suggestion: concede it is a choice (or just entertain the possibility that it is, if you are not certain that it is) and say what about it? Then you become less of the "other", more easily reconciled with your fellow man. Further, point out that Dumbledore was gay and that eh was a pretty cool guy and killed aliens (though he was gay for a dark wizard, and for the power, and his sister died as a result. J.K. Rowling gets it--for shame, gay people! Nah, I'm joke. Ron only made such good friends with Harry to bolster himself against his sister, after all--his mother had desperately wanted a daughter and so when that daughter came along after Ron she soaked up the most part of that love which was directed to the youngest of the family. Seriously, we should get people studying Harry Potter rather than the f*cking bible; that woman has soul).

Also I would like to note that my grandmother is a Christian and loves gay people, though that may have had something to do with my grandfather having been the toughest man in the world and so she was sort of a gorilla's wife able to show compassion because nobody was going to f*ck with her. And they still wont. Gay people are poofs. (Forgive me, I can't take the world too seriously, it's an awful place...)
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 9:32:36 AM
Conclusion:

Homosexuality (from Ancient Greek P01;_6;a2;`2;, meaning "same", and Latin sexus, meaning "sex") is romantic attraction, sexual attraction or sexual behavior between members of the same sex or gender. As a sexual orientation, homosexuality is "an enduring pattern of emotional, romantic, and/or sexual attractions" primarily or exclusively to people of the same sex. It "also refers to a person's sense of identity based on those attractions, related behaviors, and membership in a community of others who share those attractions."[1][2]

Along with bisexuality and heterosexuality, homosexuality is one of the three main categories of sexual orientation within the heterosexual"homosexual continuum.[1] There is no consensus among scientists about why a person develops a particular sexual orientation;[1] however, biologically-based theories for the cause of sexual orientation are favored by experts,[3] which point to genetic factors, the early uterine environment, or both in combination.[4] There is no substantive evidence which suggests parenting or early childhood experiences play a role when it comes to sexual orientation;[4] when it comes to same-sex sexual behavior, shared or familial environment plays no role for men and minor role for women.[5] While some hold the view that homosexual activity is unnatural,[6][7] research has shown that homosexuality is an example of a normal and natural variation in human sexuality and is not in and of itself a source of negative psychological effects.[1][8] Most people experience little or no sense of choice about their sexual orientation.[1] There is insufficient evidence to support the use of psychological interventions to change sexual orientation.[9]

The most common terms for homosexual people are lesbian for females and gay for males, though gay is also used to refer generally to both homosexual males and females. The number of people who identify as gay or lesbian and the proportion of people who have same-sex sexual experiences are difficult for researchers to estimate reliably for a variety of reasons, including many gay people not openly identifying as such due to homophobia and heterosexist discrimination.[10] Homosexual behavior has also been documented and is observed in many non-human animal species.[11][12][13][14][15]

Many gay and lesbian people are in committed same-sex relationships, though only recently have census forms and political conditions facilitated their visibility and enumeration.[16][17][18][19][20][21][22][23][24] These relationships are equivalent to heterosexual relationships in essential psychological respects.[2] Homosexual relationships and acts have been admired, as well as condemned, throughout recorded history, depending on the form they took and the culture in which they occurred.[25] Since the end of the 19th century, there has been a global movement towards increased visibility, recognition, and legal rights for homosexual people, including the rights to marriage and civil unions, adoption and parenting, employment, military service, equal access to health care, and the introduction of anti-bullying legislation to protect gay minors.

The word homosexual is a Greek and Latin hybrid, with the first element derived from Greek P01;_6;a2;`2; homos, "same"(not related to the Latin homo, "man", as in Homo sapiens), thus connoting sexual acts and affections between members of the same sex, including lesbianism.[26][27] The first known appearance of homosexual in print is found in an 1869 German pamphlet by the Austrian-born novelist Karl-Maria Kertbeny, published anonymously,[28] arguing against a Prussian anti-sodomy law.[28][29] In 1886, Richard von Krafft-Ebing used the terms homosexual and heterosexual in his book Psychopathia Sexualis. Krafft-Ebing's book was so popular among both laymen and doctors that the terms "heterosexual" and "homosexual" became the most widely accepted terms for sexual orientation.[30][31] As such, the current use of the term has its roots in the broader 19th-century tradition of personality taxonomy.

Many modern style guides in the U.S. recommend against using homosexual as a noun, instead using gay man or lesbian.[32] Similarly, some recommend completely avoiding usage of homosexual as it has a negative, clinical history and because the word only refers to one's sexual behavior (as opposed to romantic feelings) and thus it has a negative connotation.[32] Gay and lesbian are the most common alternatives. The first letters are frequently combined to create the initialism LGBT (sometimes written as GLBT), in which B and T refer to bisexual and transgender people.

Gay generally refers to male homosexuality,[citation needed] but may be used in a broader sense to refer to all LGBT people. In the context of sexuality, lesbian refers only to female homosexuality. The word "lesbian" is derived from the name of the Greek island Lesbos, where the poet Sappho wrote largely about her emotional relationships with young women.[33][34]

Although early writers also used the adjective homosexual to refer to any single-sex context (such as an all-girls school), today the term is used exclusively in reference to sexual attraction, activity, and orientation. The term homosocial is now used to describe single-sex contexts that are not specifically sexual. There is also a word referring to same-sex love, homophilia.

Some synonyms for same-sex attraction or sexual activity include men who have sex with men or MSM (used in the medical community when specifically discussing sexual activity) and homoerotic (referring to works of art).[35][36] Pejorative terms in English include queer, faggot, fairy, poof, and homo.[37][38][39][40] Beginning in the 1990s, some of these have been reclaimed as positive words by gay men and lesbians, as in the usage of queer studies, queer theory, and even the popular American television program Queer Eye for the Straight Guy.[41] The word homo occurs in many other languages without the pejorative connotations it has in English.[42] As with ethnic slurs and racial slurs, however, the misuse of these terms can still be highly offensive; the range of acceptable use depends on the context and speaker.[43] Conversely, gay, a word originally embraced by homosexual men and women as a positive, affirmative term (as in gay liberation and gay rights),[44] has come into widespread pejorative use among young people.[45]
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 9:36:51 AM
Does Harry Potter do as a credible source when it comes to psychological evaluation? Like, I don't read psych things or whatever, but I know what's going on and I need some backup...
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 9:57:28 AM
At 9/7/2014 9:36:51 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Does Harry Potter do as a credible source when it comes to psychological evaluation? Like, I don't read psych things or whatever, but I know what's going on and I need some backup...

Rand wrote Harry Potter under a pseudonym, I'm pretty sure. So just credit her with whatever it is.
"Logic is the money of the mind." - Karl Marx
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 9:58:34 AM
At 9/7/2014 9:57:28 AM, sdavio wrote:

Rand wrote Harry Potter under a pseudonym, I'm pretty sure. So just credit her with whatever it is.

No sdavio, Rand was a nutcase, sorry dude.
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 9:59:54 AM
At 9/7/2014 9:58:34 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 9/7/2014 9:57:28 AM, sdavio wrote:

No sdavio, Rand was a nutcase, sorry dude.

Agreed, it was a cute joke. What about Stirner?
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 10:00:26 AM
At 9/7/2014 9:59:28 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Jesus, will you please remove "The Ego and his Own" from your "Books".

Haha, I loved it.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 10:01:28 AM
At 9/7/2014 10:00:26 AM, sdavio wrote:
At 9/7/2014 9:59:28 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Jesus, will you please remove "The Ego and his Own" from your "Books".

Haha, I loved it.

Dude is Ayn Rand in Super Saiyan form. Still ridiculous though.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 10:04:06 AM
I'm actually going to expound on their psychologies sometime, they make of themselves quite the large joke.
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 10:06:12 AM
At 9/7/2014 10:04:06 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
I'm actually going to expound on their psychologies sometime, they make of themselves quite the large joke.

I'd be interested about that. How much of Stirner have you read?
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 10:09:47 AM
At 9/7/2014 10:06:12 AM, sdavio wrote:

About the first 40 pages of The Ego plus numerous quotes besides that I could have done without reading. I try not to make a practice of doing things or reading things just to hate them.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 10:14:30 AM
Of course I understand the appeal and don't take that personally, sdavio :P--it's more the world I'm irked by than Stirner.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 10:17:02 AM
And Ayn Rand is almost cute in tickling a patriarchal madness still within me (man, I'm f*cking awful--hey, nobody's perfect!).
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 10:17:29 AM
At 9/7/2014 10:09:47 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:

About the first 40 pages of The Ego plus numerous quotes besides that I could have done without reading. I try not to make a practice of doing things or reading things just to hate them.

In like the last quarter he talks more about how his philosophy relates to empathy. For instance, that we give money to a homeless man not because we have a duty to, but because it gives pleasure to see him in good spirits, or something like that. I liked that bit a lot. I think it is really a different philosophy than Rand. Rand had a nonsense morality with what were basically duties attached, while Stirner did away with all duties and it was all empathy. Which IMO is a huge difference.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 10:22:35 AM
At 9/7/2014 10:17:29 AM, sdavio wrote:
At 9/7/2014 10:09:47 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:

In like the last quarter he talks more about how his philosophy relates to empathy. For instance, that we give money to a homeless man not because we have a duty to, but because it gives pleasure to see him in good spirits, or something like that. I liked that bit a lot. I think it is really a different philosophy than Rand. Rand had a nonsense morality with what were basically duties attached, while Stirner did away with all duties and it was all empathy. Which IMO is a huge difference.

Yes, I've read that quote--"I can kill them, not torture them"--and consider it but a petty reconciliation with others to top of an altogether petty philosophy. There's something of Camus' absurdity in him, too, which I despise; that hunt for sorrow in murderers which is the lonely human soul inspecting, and crying about, itself.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 10:38:25 AM
At 9/5/2014 8:15:39 PM, YYW wrote:

I want you all to read this article. It's not very long. Then, tell me what you think about it.

What is the first step?

Don't bite the hand that feeds you until you are done being fed.

Yeah, it's not ideal. But if your parents aren't satisfied with your life decisions, they aren't obligated to pay for you. That's just how it works.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 10:55:43 AM
At 9/7/2014 10:38:25 AM, TN05 wrote:

What is the first step?

Yeah, it's not ideal. But if your parents aren't satisfied with your life decisions, they aren't obligated to pay for you. That's just how it works.

You're a ridiculous, emotionless person.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 11:41:56 AM
At 9/7/2014 10:55:43 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:

What is the first step?

I said it's not ideal because there is no solution. It's wrong to disown someone for being gay. On the other hand it isn't wise to come out to hostile people and expect them not to act hostily. Common sense is needed on both sides.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 11:47:18 AM
At 9/7/2014 11:41:56 AM, TN05 wrote:

What is the first step?

I said it's not ideal because there is no solution. It's wrong to disown someone for being gay. On the other hand it isn't wise to come out to hostile people and expect them not to act hostily. Common sense is needed on both sides.

I was just remarking on your personality in general dude. I figured you were just posting here because I had, so I checked you out. Aspergers, eh? Interesting classification of feeling completely alienated.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 11:49:42 AM
At 9/7/2014 11:47:18 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:

What is the first step?

I was just remarking on your personality in general dude. I figured you were just posting here because I had, so I checked you out. Aspergers, eh? Interesting classification of feeling completely alienated.

If you're trying to troll it's not funny.
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 11:51:57 AM

of course.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 11:52:49 AM
At 9/7/2014 11:49:42 AM, TN05 wrote:
At 9/7/2014 11:47:18 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:

What is the first step?

If you're trying to troll it's not funny.

I'm not. In fact, you're quite fascinating. "IDC" on racial profiling I suppose is closet racism, no? Hey, we're all friends here.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2014 11:53:38 AM
At 9/7/2014 11:51:57 AM, Cermank wrote:

of course.

Phew. In that case Dumbledore is a homosexual because his father killed three men which brought Dumbledore to want men's love.