Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

What were the cliques in your high school?

MasterDebater0
Posts: 9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2014 5:33:05 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Mine were (as I recall, my memory is s***):

Stoners: self-explanatory. Lots of musicians. Several were popular outside of their clique.

Nerds: Pretty self-explanatory.

Stoner-nerds: This was a new clique I'd never heard of in any school/media depicting school before I was part of it. I guess it wasn't technically a clique unto itself, as it was formed by the overlap of two cliques, but it was pretty consistent.

Mexicans: I'm not racist, I'm a staunch egalitarian, but I did see that the Mexicans at my school stuck together in large, noticeable groups.

Preps/"Popular Crowd": I've always found the notion that preps are popular to be, well, wrong. They're very materialistic, egotistic, shallow, and often unintelligent. I noticed that their group wasn't THAT big, and that they didn't have many friends outside that circle, unlike several of the other cliques I mention here. More often female than male.

Band Geeks: Seems like they would be part of the Nerd clique, but they had their own group, and pretty much stuck to it. Stayed in band all of high school, most of them.

Jocks: Self-explanatory. Mostly male, and would usually date preps. In fact, Jocks are the main group outside of Preps that Preps associated with.

Masses: The many other groups that defied common labels. Many of these people were the real popular crowd.
YYW
Posts: 36,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 9:19:33 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Popular cliques: (about 50% of the total student body)

Preppies (spoiled white boys and basic bitches) (me)
Jocks (muscled boys) (me -though I should have played lacrosse... lacrosse team was really gay)
Stoners who lived in the same neighborhoods as the preppies (mostly boys, some girls) (me, junior and senior year)
Cheerleaders (attractive girls who were mostly white)

Average cliques: (about 40% of the total student body)

Band
Orchestra
Debate team (me)
Asian nerds
Indian nerds
The normal kids who didn't really do anything
Kids who played weird sports like the equestrian team

Lowest rung: (about 10% of the total student body)

The socially awkward
computer club
entrepreneur club
Gamers
the mentally handicapped
Religious clubs other than FCA
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 9:49:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
There were so many different group labels alongside so much inter-group interaction and communication that it seems arbitrary to pin anything down. That being said, I'll try a bit here.

Center kids: students involved in the art school branch of the HS (theatre kids, dancers, orchestra, media studies, artists). Queer, culturally alternative, generally accepting.

Scumbags: generally partitioned by their low academic accolades, relative popularity, and lower class background (metal heads, stoners, gay stoners, drug dealers, skaters). Socially exclusive, relegated to certain parts of town.

Popular crowd: mostly white upperclassmen (members of sports teams, involved in community projects, cheerleaders, academic elite). Most socially visible group; involvement in after-school programs.

Other groups which (to a large extend) intersected with the above three: good ol' boys, hippies, nerds, undesirables, deviants, anime kids, hipsters, etc. etc.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
YYW
Posts: 36,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 9:53:21 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/26/2014 9:49:32 PM, socialpinko wrote:
There were so many different group labels alongside so much inter-group interaction and communication that it seems arbitrary to pin anything down. That being said, I'll try a bit here.

Center kids: students involved in the art school branch of the HS (theatre kids, dancers, orchestra, media studies, artists). Queer, culturally alternative, generally accepting.

I forgot about them.... they were usually on that third tier I usually mentioned above, which bothered me because I liked most of the theater kids.

Scumbags: generally partitioned by their low academic accolades, relative popularity, and lower class background (metal heads, stoners, gay stoners, drug dealers, skaters). Socially exclusive, relegated to certain parts of town.

Popular crowd: mostly white upperclassmen (members of sports teams, involved in community projects, cheerleaders, academic elite). Most socially visible group; involvement in after-school programs.

Other groups which (to a large extend) intersected with the above three: good ol' boys, hippies, nerds, undesirables, deviants, anime kids, hipsters, etc. etc.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 9:56:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/26/2014 9:53:21 PM, YYW wrote:
At 9/26/2014 9:49:32 PM, socialpinko wrote:
There were so many different group labels alongside so much inter-group interaction and communication that it seems arbitrary to pin anything down. That being said, I'll try a bit here.

Center kids: students involved in the art school branch of the HS (theatre kids, dancers, orchestra, media studies, artists). Queer, culturally alternative, generally accepting.

I forgot about them.... they were usually on that third tier I usually mentioned above, which bothered me because I liked most of the theater kids.

Why would that bother you?

Scumbags: generally partitioned by their low academic accolades, relative popularity, and lower class background (metal heads, stoners, gay stoners, drug dealers, skaters). Socially exclusive, relegated to certain parts of town.

Popular crowd: mostly white upperclassmen (members of sports teams, involved in community projects, cheerleaders, academic elite). Most socially visible group; involvement in after-school programs.

Other groups which (to a large extend) intersected with the above three: good ol' boys, hippies, nerds, undesirables, deviants, anime kids, hipsters, etc. etc.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
YYW
Posts: 36,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 9:58:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/26/2014 9:56:07 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 9/26/2014 9:53:21 PM, YYW wrote:
At 9/26/2014 9:49:32 PM, socialpinko wrote:
There were so many different group labels alongside so much inter-group interaction and communication that it seems arbitrary to pin anything down. That being said, I'll try a bit here.

Center kids: students involved in the art school branch of the HS (theatre kids, dancers, orchestra, media studies, artists). Queer, culturally alternative, generally accepting.

I forgot about them.... they were usually on that third tier I usually mentioned above, which bothered me because I liked most of the theater kids.

Why would that bother you?

Because I was always caught between cliques, which created more problems than I would have liked.


Scumbags: generally partitioned by their low academic accolades, relative popularity, and lower class background (metal heads, stoners, gay stoners, drug dealers, skaters). Socially exclusive, relegated to certain parts of town.

Popular crowd: mostly white upperclassmen (members of sports teams, involved in community projects, cheerleaders, academic elite). Most socially visible group; involvement in after-school programs.

Other groups which (to a large extend) intersected with the above three: good ol' boys, hippies, nerds, undesirables, deviants, anime kids, hipsters, etc. etc.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 10:08:15 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/26/2014 9:58:30 PM, YYW wrote:
At 9/26/2014 9:56:07 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 9/26/2014 9:53:21 PM, YYW wrote:
At 9/26/2014 9:49:32 PM, socialpinko wrote:
There were so many different group labels alongside so much inter-group interaction and communication that it seems arbitrary to pin anything down. That being said, I'll try a bit here.

Center kids: students involved in the art school branch of the HS (theatre kids, dancers, orchestra, media studies, artists). Queer, culturally alternative, generally accepting.

I forgot about them.... they were usually on that third tier I usually mentioned above, which bothered me because I liked most of the theater kids.

Why would that bother you?

Because I was always caught between cliques, which created more problems than I would have liked.

That's weird. What state did you go to HS in?


Scumbags: generally partitioned by their low academic accolades, relative popularity, and lower class background (metal heads, stoners, gay stoners, drug dealers, skaters). Socially exclusive, relegated to certain parts of town.

Popular crowd: mostly white upperclassmen (members of sports teams, involved in community projects, cheerleaders, academic elite). Most socially visible group; involvement in after-school programs.

Other groups which (to a large extend) intersected with the above three: good ol' boys, hippies, nerds, undesirables, deviants, anime kids, hipsters, etc. etc.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
YYW
Posts: 36,234
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 10:09:20 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/26/2014 10:08:15 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 9/26/2014 9:58:30 PM, YYW wrote:
At 9/26/2014 9:56:07 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 9/26/2014 9:53:21 PM, YYW wrote:
At 9/26/2014 9:49:32 PM, socialpinko wrote:
There were so many different group labels alongside so much inter-group interaction and communication that it seems arbitrary to pin anything down. That being said, I'll try a bit here.

Center kids: students involved in the art school branch of the HS (theatre kids, dancers, orchestra, media studies, artists). Queer, culturally alternative, generally accepting.

I forgot about them.... they were usually on that third tier I usually mentioned above, which bothered me because I liked most of the theater kids.

Why would that bother you?

Because I was always caught between cliques, which created more problems than I would have liked.

That's weird. What state did you go to HS in?

You know the answer to that question, lol, and I'm not going to say it publicly.

Scumbags: generally partitioned by their low academic accolades, relative popularity, and lower class background (metal heads, stoners, gay stoners, drug dealers, skaters). Socially exclusive, relegated to certain parts of town.

Popular crowd: mostly white upperclassmen (members of sports teams, involved in community projects, cheerleaders, academic elite). Most socially visible group; involvement in after-school programs.

Other groups which (to a large extend) intersected with the above three: good ol' boys, hippies, nerds, undesirables, deviants, anime kids, hipsters, etc. etc.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2014 10:17:51 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 9/26/2014 10:09:20 PM, YYW wrote:
At 9/26/2014 10:08:15 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 9/26/2014 9:58:30 PM, YYW wrote:
At 9/26/2014 9:56:07 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 9/26/2014 9:53:21 PM, YYW wrote:
At 9/26/2014 9:49:32 PM, socialpinko wrote:
There were so many different group labels alongside so much inter-group interaction and communication that it seems arbitrary to pin anything down. That being said, I'll try a bit here.

Center kids: students involved in the art school branch of the HS (theatre kids, dancers, orchestra, media studies, artists). Queer, culturally alternative, generally accepting.

I forgot about them.... they were usually on that third tier I usually mentioned above, which bothered me because I liked most of the theater kids.

Why would that bother you?

Because I was always caught between cliques, which created more problems than I would have liked.

That's weird. What state did you go to HS in?

You know the answer to that question, lol, and I'm not going to say it publicly.

Oh must have forgotten :/

Scumbags: generally partitioned by their low academic accolades, relative popularity, and lower class background (metal heads, stoners, gay stoners, drug dealers, skaters). Socially exclusive, relegated to certain parts of town.

Popular crowd: mostly white upperclassmen (members of sports teams, involved in community projects, cheerleaders, academic elite). Most socially visible group; involvement in after-school programs.

Other groups which (to a large extend) intersected with the above three: good ol' boys, hippies, nerds, undesirables, deviants, anime kids, hipsters, etc. etc.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
xXCryptoXx
Posts: 5,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 12:45:08 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'm only a highschool sophmore so cliques haven't really fleshed out much.

Jocks - football and basketball players mostly. This group generally holds the most popular guys, but not every guy in this group is popular.

Soccer/Cross Country - Self explanatory. Mix of athletic guy and girl soccer players and runners. Popular group.

Nerds - Make up about 30-40% of my class. Self explanatory.

Middleclass - People who don't fit in with the nerds or athletic groups. Generally made up of good people, rule followers, people who don't do dumb sh*t.

Free Floaters - People who fit in nowhere, but kind of have a foot in every group.

I'd define myself as a middle class free floater.
Nolite Timere
YamaVonKarma
Posts: 7,570
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 1:12:48 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Nerds - Most of my school
People who think they're Jocks - @ssholes of my school
Party Kids - Mostly focus on what they're doing after school or this weekend
Smart Kids - Quiet and actually excell
Cool Kids - Make friends within each group - Don't have a set line of excelling or failing
Stoners and Smokers - Ignored by most other students - Occasionally, a poor soul get's tied up with them
Ghetto Kids - A general nuisance + Disrespectful - Test Yama's rule about killing innocent people - usually leave after a year or so
Student Government - Bless their little hearts
Yama - On a level purely his own - Mainly spends lunches and study times alone relaxing somewhere or studying
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
Demetriuscapone
Posts: 152
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2014 4:47:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I went to a school in the ghetto, so I guess most people know the drill:

Thugs : skipping more or less all classes, still sit around in school doing nothing, they gladly brag about being criminals but are generally speaking full of sh1t.

The ratchets: Appaling, loud, annoying, always fighting over something wearing big azz earrings, nobody likes them.

The geeks: The dudes you see with round glasses, flannel shirts stuffed into their pants and a big backpack. They never wore fashionable clothes, they were good at math and so on. Nobody really picked on them, they were just left alone.

The white trash dudes: In Detroit there are not many white dudes in the urban schools, but there were some trailer trash going to our school. They generally got along with people, but still did everything together.

The 'I'm going to be the new Lebron when I grew up': These dudes shoot hoop all the time. They stay away from crime, but they always get shot down before they can make a name for themselves ( always ). They get along well with the girls, because they generally dress trendy, are not too dorky and a little bit more suave than the rest.

The 'I'm going to college dudes': They are not dorks or nerds, they are just people who really want to do something with their life, so they work hard as hell to study and so on. They don't speak ebonics and stay away from trouble.

The immigrants: Some few immigrants who have parents owning stores are in every class. Some of them adapt to ghetto mentality ( especially latinos and asians ), but usually speak very little english and are very dorky. Usually indians, mexicans, persians, arabs or vietnamese, they go to the same english classes so they hang out together. In my class, we had a pair of arabs who were nicknamed 'Saddam and Osama'.