Jump to topic:

Rocks Are Smarter Than People ()

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 6:15:21 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I thought I'd continue this discussion in a separate thread rather than going off topic in another.

Volkov: You were indeed born without believing in a god or gods.

popculurepooka: So rocks are atheists?

GeoLaureate8: Yes, rocks are atheist and more intelligent than a lot of people. They have no prejudices, no bigoted ideas, and they are not arrogant.

Ragnar Rahl: Rocks are agnostic, or I suppose soft atheist, but just calling them "atheist" gives off the wrong impression.

And they have zero intelligence. Acquiring prejudices requires an above-zero intelligence, although granted not necessarily far.

GeoLaureate8: A rock does not say, "I do not know if a God exists or not." A rock doesn't have any beliefs and disbelieves God like an Atheist. In order to be agnostic, the rock would have to acknowledge God in the first place.

So a rock is Atheist.

...Depends on your definition of intelligence.

...I would say that prejudice is below the level of having zero intelligence.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 6:16:13 PM
At 3/31/2010 6:15:21 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Volkov: You were indeed born without believing in a god or gods.

I said this, not Volkov.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 6:24:02 PM
Nags: You were indeed born without believing in a god or gods.

*Edit*
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 6:25:57 PM
At 3/31/2010 6:25:00 PM, mongeese wrote:
A rock also doesn't believe that 2 + 2 = 4. Keep that in mind.

No. A rock can't believe. Thus, it doesn't have the ability to believe.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 6:29:40 PM
GeoLaureate8: A rock does not say, "I do not know if a God exists or not." A rock doesn't have any beliefs and disbelieves God like an Atheist. In order to be agnostic, the rock would have to acknowledge God in the first place.

So a rock is Atheist.

...Depends on your definition of intelligence.

...I would say that prejudice is below the level of having zero intelligence.

No. A disbelief is a negative belief (like I don't believe in unicorns) so by your own reasoning rocks aren't atheists.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 6:31:42 PM
Now, if you meant a lack of belief instead of a disbelief you'd have a point but then that'd make nearly everything atheist.

My cat is an atheist then.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 6:32:12 PM
At 3/31/2010 6:29:40 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
No. A disbelief is a negative belief (like I don't believe in unicorns) so by your own reasoning rocks aren't atheists.

Semantics. I knew someone would pick on the word "disbelieve." I should say NOT believe in God, and therefore Atheist.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 6:33:36 PM
At 3/31/2010 6:31:42 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Now, if you meant a lack of belief instead of a disbelief you'd have a point but then that'd make nearly everything atheist.

Yes. Your cat is an atheist.

I thought that a Theist would be happy to associate Atheism with animals and rocks. :P
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 6:37:02 PM
Just in case there is any future confusion, I will clarify that I'm not saying rocks are intelligent because they are Atheist. But that rocks are smarter than SOME people and happen to be Atheist as well.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 6:38:02 PM
At 3/31/2010 6:33:36 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 3/31/2010 6:31:42 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Yes. Your cat is an atheist.

I thought that a Theist would be happy to associate Atheism with animals and rocks. :P

I have no problem with my cat being an atheist. :)
But it does seem to empty the term atheist of all meaning if it can apply to so many things that are incapable of rational thought.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 6:39:02 PM
At 3/31/2010 6:37:02 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
rocks are smarter than SOME people

How?

Rocks have zero intelligence. Sure.

So for rocks to be more intelligent than some people, some people would have to have negative intelligence? How is that possible?
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 6:47:53 PM
At 3/31/2010 6:25:57 PM, Nags wrote:
At 3/31/2010 6:25:00 PM, mongeese wrote:
A rock also doesn't believe that 2 + 2 = 4. Keep that in mind.

No. A rock can't believe. Thus, it doesn't have the ability to believe.

Therefore, it lacks the the ability to believe that 2 + 2 = 4.
Therefore, it doesn't believe that 2 + 2 = 4.
Therefore, I'm right.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 6:47:56 PM
At 3/31/2010 6:39:02 PM, Nags wrote:

How?

So for rocks to be more intelligent than some people, some people would have to have negative intelligence? How is that possible?

I think that 0 intelligence is the epitome of infinite knowledge. If one knows everything, one does not have to think.

Thinking is just confused brain chatter.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 6:50:33 PM
At 3/31/2010 6:47:56 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 3/31/2010 6:39:02 PM, Nags wrote:

How?

I think that 0 intelligence is the epitome of infinite knowledge. If one knows everything, one does not have to think.

If one knows nothing, one does not have to think, either.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 6:51:51 PM
At 3/31/2010 6:47:53 PM, mongeese wrote:
Therefore, I'm right.

A rock can't believe so it makes no sense to say a rock "doesn't believe" which implies that a rock does have the ability to believe.

Your statement should read: A rock also can't believe that 2 + 2 = 4. Keep that in mind.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 6:52:46 PM

Ehh. I don't follow. Rocks have no knowledge. So how are they more intelligent than some and less intelligent than others?
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 6:54:37 PM
At 3/31/2010 6:50:33 PM, mongeese wrote:

If one knows nothing, one does not have to think, either.

Yes, I know. It's a circle that leads you to the same point. You start off entirely ignorant, no thoughts (beginning of the circle). Then gradually you attain more and more knowledge retaining and analyzing through thought (midway through the circle). When one becomes omniscient with all knowledge, thinking is then obsolete and brought back again full circle.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 6:54:51 PM
At 3/31/2010 6:51:51 PM, Nags wrote:
At 3/31/2010 6:47:53 PM, mongeese wrote:
Therefore, I'm right.

A rock can't believe so it makes no sense to say a rock "doesn't believe" which implies that a rock does have the ability to believe.

Your statement should read: A rock also can't believe that 2 + 2 = 4. Keep that in mind.

This.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 6:56:29 PM
At 3/31/2010 6:52:46 PM, Nags wrote:

Ehh. I don't follow. Rocks have no knowledge. So how are they more intelligent than some and less intelligent than others?

Well, that was reference to a different theory. The assertion where I said that rocks are smarter than some people, smarter than the ones who are prejudiced, bigoted, etc.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 7:00:21 PM
At 3/31/2010 6:56:29 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Well, that was reference to a different theory. The assertion where I said that rocks are smarter than some people, smarter than the ones who are prejudiced, bigoted, etc.

How? Those that are prejudiced, bigoted, and etc., can actually think their prejudiced, bigoted, and etc. thoughts, can consider the consequences. That's more than a rock can do.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 7:01:29 PM
At 3/31/2010 7:00:21 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 3/31/2010 6:56:29 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

How? Those that are prejudiced, bigoted, and etc., can actually think their prejudiced, bigoted, and etc. thoughts, can consider the consequences. That's more than a rock can do.

Refer back to my other theory of intelligence.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 7:05:30 PM
At 3/31/2010 7:01:29 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

That doesn't compute.

Inanimate matter which cannot process any sort of sense can't think. Living matter which can process sensory reception can think. Which is why as a baby, you're still thinking - but rocks, no matter what stage they're in, cannot think whatsoever.
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 7:07:52 PM
No no no.

Atheism shouldn't be categorized by the lack of a belief - this would damn every inanimate object to being an atheist. Atheist is the explicit denial of God's existence as either possible or probable.

Rock can neither be agnostic, since agnosticism is STILL a position, hence needing a mind to understand and adhere to. Rocks are just godd@mn rocks, and they are not smarter than people. I'd wager no rock has ever been smarter than any person above a vegetative state.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 7:08:59 PM
At 3/31/2010 7:07:52 PM, TheSkeptic wrote:
I'd wager no rock has ever been smarter than any person above a vegetative state.

Some people believe that those in a vegetative state can still receive information from their senses, so even then, they're still smarter than a rock.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 7:09:25 PM
At 3/31/2010 7:05:30 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 3/31/2010 7:01:29 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

That doesn't compute.

Inanimate matter which cannot process any sort of sense can't think. Living matter which can process sensory reception can think. Which is why as a baby, you're still thinking - but rocks, no matter what stage they're in, cannot think whatsoever.

Yeah, but I said "smarter" not more "intelligent." If by smart is referred to by level of knowledge.

GeoLaureate8 said:

-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 7:10:38 PM
No no no.

Atheism shouldn't be categorized by the lack of a belief - this would damn every inanimate object to being an atheist. Atheist is the explicit denial of God's existence as either possible or probable.

Rock can neither be agnostic, since agnosticism is STILL a position, hence needing a mind to understand and adhere to. Rocks are just godd@mn rocks, and they are not smarter than people. I'd wager no rock has ever been smarter than any person above a vegetative state.

Ok. Who's smarter; a Ku Klux Klan member or a rock?
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 7:11:31 PM
At 3/31/2010 7:08:59 PM, Volkov wrote:
I'd wager no rock has ever been smarter than any person above a vegetative state.

Some people believe that those in a vegetative state can still receive information from their senses, so even then, they're still smarter than a rock.

Perhaps, but I don't want to wander into some murky subject >.>
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2010 7:11:47 PM
At 3/31/2010 7:09:25 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Yeah, but I said "smarter" not more "intelligent." If by smart is referred to by level of knowledge.

Sorry, I did say "intelligence" in addition to "smarter." I apologize for the semantic confusion.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat