Jump to topic:

Intellectuals

kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2010 8:00:52 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I was having a discussion with a friend of mine last night. It was a deeply enthralling conversation. He has several degrees, a Doctorate actually, nevertheless he is not the smartest apple out of the barrel. This had me thinking of how high education plays a role in our society.

Some are fortunate to attend schools with prestigious names, and are raised with an impressive pedigree. They may score extremely high on aptitude tests, but transfer them into the real world, and they are like chickens with their heads cut off. I'm not taking a stab at ant particular ethnicity, because I believe there are intellectuals of all shades.

I think it was Gandhi who said "Knowledge without character is immoral"...If I misquoted I apologize, but I think that is correct.

This lead me further to ponder on...What exactly is an intellectual, and what constitutes them being so?

Moreover, I have met plenty of everyday people who don't have that impressive pedrigree who have expounded the most profound of thoughts.

Does reading alot of books make you an intellectual? Because everyone who reads isn't comprehending what points the authour is trying to convey.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2010 9:08:25 AM
"An intellectual is a person who uses intelligence (thought and reason) and critical or analytical thinking, either in a professional or a personal capacity."

- Wikipedia.

There isn't much else to it. Most people who use the words "intellectual" refer to someone who uses it in a professional capacity, so those whose jobs it is to use "intelligence and critical or analytical thinking" in order to solve problems that others can't or won't tackle, are 'professional intellectuals'.

Personally, anyone can be an "intellectual," so long as they're attune to "thought and reason" when tackling issues. "Intellectual honesty" is where someone presents an argument over something that follows that patten.

Not a big issue, aye.
collegekitchen9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2010 9:51:05 AM
At 4/2/2010 8:00:52 AM, kelly224 wrote:
He has several degrees, a Doctorate actually, nevertheless he is not the smartest apple out of the barrel.

Is his name banker?
Collegekitchen/askbob said: "we should monitor politicians spending"

Volkov responded "wat controlling and monitoring government spendin is zactly like Big Brother!"

: : At 3/30/2010 6:44:38 AM, belle wrote:
: : : At 3/29/2010 7:19:19 PM, wjmelements wrote:
: : : I think I have an irregular heartbeat.
: :
: : you're going to die.

: At 4/3/2010 6:33:02 PM, Scott_Mann wrote:
: I think people care about what I think

no
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2010 11:58:16 AM
At 4/2/2010 9:51:05 AM, collegekitchen9 wrote:
He has several degrees, a Doctorate actually, nevertheless he is not the smartest apple out of the barrel.

Is his name banker?

10/10.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2010 12:01:01 PM
I heard somewhere that the more highly "educated" you are, the more likely you are to join a cult. I can't verify that though.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2010 1:20:36 PM

This had me thinking of how high education plays a role in our society.

Some are fortunate to attend schools with prestigious names, and are raised with an impressive pedigree. They may score extremely high on aptitude tests, but transfer them into the real world, and they are like chickens with their heads cut off.

You're implying ALL people to whom this academic "pedigree" applies (screw up in "the real world"), which is ludicrous. While you'll always have some who struggle to adjust, most people who graduate from "prestigious" colleges do quite well for themselves.

If the preponderance of evidence suggested otherwise, such institutions would cease to be prestigious and no longer receive lavish alumni donations.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2010 1:44:42 PM
At 4/2/2010 12:01:01 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I heard somewhere that the more highly "educated" you are, the more likely you are to join a cult. I can't verify that though.

according to the "cult information centre"

When looking at the kind of person most likely to fall victim to the cults, many people are surprised by the findings. The following are characteristics of the most likely cult recruit and suggest that the person:
1. Is from an economically sound family background.
2. Has average to above average intelligence.
3. Has a good education.
4. Is idealistic.

maybe thats where you got it from?

other websites don't really mention education at all. the big ones are idealism and gullibility... for obvious reasons i would think...
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2010 6:33:59 PM
At 4/2/2010 1:20:36 PM, USAPitBull63 wrote:

If the preponderance of evidence suggested otherwise, such institutions would cease to be prestigious and no longer receive lavish alumni donations.

Not entirely true. I had several teachers at Rutgers (considered a public ivy - ha) who had also taught at Princeton which is close by. Every single one of them said the same thing: that they hated teaching there, because the kids were a-ssholes and many had no desire to learn. Sure, a lot of the kids who attend these schools are incredibly smart; however, at least half of them are there strictly because of strings that were pulled. Haha didn't GWB graduate from Yale?

One professor told us a story about how some kids would literally say, "Just tell me what I need to do to pass - I already have a job lined up for me once I graduate anyway." That's the attitude and mentality of more kids in ivy's then you'd think. The professor then said, "Oh yeah - then I noticed his last name was the same name as one of the dorms." In other words, his family was loaded, probably alums, and obviously big time donors to the school.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2010 6:37:57 PM
At 4/2/2010 9:08:25 AM, Volkov wrote:
"An intellectual is a person who uses intelligence (thought and reason) and critical or analytical thinking, either in a professional or a personal capacity."

I think this about hits the nail right on the head.

I'll say this: I've made some personal decisions that have derailed my education for the time being. As such, I have nothing to back up my intellectual capacity. Meanwhile, some kids I graduated HS with who were complete morons... and still are (!!!) are getting ready to finish up their masters. On paper, I look absolutely silly next to them. Meanwhile, I'm far more intelligent than they could ever hope to be. Hah. I have a friend who's about to get her masters (in EDUCATION!!!) at the end of the semester, and honest to Allah she asked me the other day if Chicago was in Massachusetts. Hmm. America, meet your teachers...
President of DDO
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2010 6:43:42 PM
At 4/2/2010 6:37:57 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Meanwhile, some kids I graduated HS with who were complete morons... and still are (!!!) are getting ready to finish up their masters. On paper, I look absolutely silly next to them. Meanwhile, I'm far more intelligent than they could ever hope to be. Hah. I have a friend who's about to get her masters (in EDUCATION!!!) at the end of the semester, and honest to Allah she asked me the other day if Chicago was in Massachusetts. Hmm. America, meet your teachers...

Truth. Kids with book-smarts and book-smarts only piss me off.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2010 7:26:43 PM
At 4/2/2010 7:17:34 PM, comoncents wrote:
Who here considers themselves a "Intellectual"?

lol :)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2010 7:32:29 PM

I'll say this: I've made some personal decisions that have derailed my education for the time being. As such, I have nothing to back up my intellectual capacity. Meanwhile, some kids I graduated HS with who were complete morons... and still are (!!!) are getting ready to finish up their masters. On paper, I look absolutely silly next to them. Meanwhile, I'm far more intelligent than they could ever hope to be. Hah. I have a friend who's about to get her masters (in EDUCATION!!!) at the end of the semester, and honest to Allah she asked me the other day if Chicago was in Massachusetts. Hmm. America, meet your teachers...

Hmm...no wonder the American education system sucks. lol
MikeLoviN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2010 7:45:46 PM
At 4/2/2010 7:32:29 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

to be fair, I don't think our's is much better
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2010 7:48:12 PM
At 4/2/2010 7:45:46 PM, MikeLoviN wrote:
At 4/2/2010 7:32:29 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

to be fair, I don't think our's is much better

Yea, but probably not by much since the funding keeps being cut.
USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2010 8:27:55 PM
At 4/2/2010 6:33:59 PM, theLwerd wrote:

Not entirely true.

But, on balance (a.k.a., by preponderance), it is far more true than not.

I had several teachers at Rutgers (considered a public ivy - ha) who had also taught at Princeton which is close by. Every single one of them said the same thing: that they hated teaching there, because the kids were a-ssholes and many had no desire to learn. Sure, a lot of the kids who attend these schools are incredibly smart; however, at least half of them are there strictly because of strings that were pulled. Haha didn't GWB graduate from Yale?

Yes, as did Bill Clinton (law). And Barack Obama was Editor of the Harvard Law Review.

One professor told us a story about how some kids would literally say, "Just tell me what I need to do to pass - I already have a job lined up for me once I graduate anyway." That's the attitude and mentality of more kids in ivy's then you'd think.

Even so, that sounds like they'll "do quite well for themselves," which was my original statement.

The professor then said, "Oh yeah - then I noticed his last name was the same name as one of the dorms." In other words, his family was loaded, probably alums, and obviously big time donors to the school.

That goes directly to my statement about alumni donations.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2010 12:26:09 PM
For the most part, true intellectuals are more interested in being more intelligent than on showing how intelligent they are.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2010 2:02:55 PM
At 4/2/2010 6:33:59 PM, theLwerd wrote:

Not entirely true. I had several teachers at Rutgers (considered a public ivy - ha) who had also taught at Princeton which is close by. Every single one of them said the same thing: that they hated teaching there, because the kids were a-ssholes and many had no desire to learn. Sure, a lot of the kids who attend these schools are incredibly smart; however, at least half of them are there strictly because of strings that were pulled. Haha didn't GWB graduate from Yale?

One professor told us a story about how some kids would literally say, "Just tell me what I need to do to pass - I already have a job lined up for me once I graduate anyway." That's the attitude and mentality of more kids in ivy's then you'd think. The professor then said, "Oh yeah - then I noticed his last name was the same name as one of the dorms." In other words, his family was loaded, probably alums, and obviously big time donors to the school.

Excellentlly said. Everyone who attends these schools did not earn to be there.
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2010 2:03:21 PM

This had me thinking of how high education plays a role in our society.

Some are fortunate to attend schools with prestigious names, and are raised with an impressive pedigree. They may score extremely high on aptitude tests, but transfer them into the real world, and they are like chickens with their heads cut off.

You're implying ALL people to whom this academic "pedigree" applies (screw up in "the real world"), which is ludicrous. While you'll always have some who struggle to adjust, most people who graduate from "prestigious" colleges do quite well for themselves.

Keep it in the family right?...i.e. Bush
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2010 2:06:24 PM
At 4/4/2010 4:56:27 AM, feverish wrote:

I'm an intellectual and an ignoramus.

I think we all are. Even the person with the highest IQ is ignorant in some area. When you get to the place where you feel you know everything there is to learn, then there should be some reality checks in place because you shuld be placed in asylum.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2010 2:17:45 PM
At 4/5/2010 2:06:24 PM, kelly224 wrote:

I think we all are. Even the person with the highest IQ is ignorant in some area. When you get to the place where you feel you know everything there is to learn, then there should be some reality checks in place because you shuld be placed in asylum.

Reality checks? Those aren't anything like sobriety checkpoints, are they?
homework
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2010 12:57:22 AM

Either we've gone insane or we just pwnt God at being omniscient.
Take that God.
Psychologists think they're experimental psychologists
Experimental psychologists think they're biologists
Biologists think they're biochemists
Biochemists think they're chemists
Chemists think they're physical chemists
Physical chemists think they're physicists
Physicists think they're theoretical physicists
Theoretical physicists think they're mathematicians
Mathematicians think they're metamathematicians
Metamathematicians think they're philosophers
Philosophers think they're Gods
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2010 1:12:28 AM
At 4/6/2010 12:57:22 AM, homework wrote:

Take that God.

Are you being serious?
'sup DDO -- july 2013
homework
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2010 1:48:01 AM
At 4/6/2010 1:12:28 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 4/6/2010 12:57:22 AM, homework wrote:

Take that God.

Are you being serious?

do I really have to answer that? XD
Psychologists think they're experimental psychologists
Experimental psychologists think they're biologists
Biologists think they're biochemists
Biochemists think they're chemists
Chemists think they're physical chemists
Physical chemists think they're physicists
Physicists think they're theoretical physicists
Theoretical physicists think they're mathematicians
Mathematicians think they're metamathematicians
Metamathematicians think they're philosophers
Philosophers think they're Gods
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2010 11:22:49 AM
At 4/5/2010 2:17:45 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Reality checks? Those aren't anything like sobriety checkpoints, are they?

No they are humbling points in life. If more people were to display humility then maybe we would not have so mush strife.