Jump to topic:

should the voting age be lowered?

headphonegut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2010 6:31:42 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
well I'd been discussing at length with my teacher (debate coach) why the voting age should be lowered and some of the benefits however he destroyed me with there are more dumb asses than intellectuals what are your thoughts and reasons for why the voting age should or shouldn't be lowered?
crying to soldiers coming home to their dogs why do I torment myself with these videos?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2010 6:37:38 PM
Raise it to 200. End democracy. Boom, no more people voting to take your stuff.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2010 6:41:07 PM
Most adults are dumb asses. Argument falls apart. Around 16 is when average people start getting jobs and pay many of the same taxes adults do. Shouldn't they have a say in the matter?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2010 6:49:12 PM
The forces that be are always trying to suppress the next generation and hold on to power as long as possible. I say let the future begin. In this era of the internet most teenagers are actually smarter than their parents having been exposed to much more information.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2010 6:49:37 PM
Not a fan of democracy, but I always thought that votjg should be an earned right. There should be some type of test you have to pass in order to vote. Don't ask me what would be on the test, I haven't thought much about tuis idea past the whole, "there should be a test" part.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2010 6:52:49 PM
At 4/5/2010 6:49:37 PM, Korashk wrote:
Not a fan of democracy, but I always thought that votjg should be an earned right. There should be some type of test you have to pass in order to vote. Don't ask me what would be on the test, I haven't thought much about tuis idea past the whole, "there should be a test" part.

I don't like democracy either but as long as we have it we should have the best form. I don't think the government can be trusted with making such a test, the next best thing is allowing as many to vote as possible so to have less oppression.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2010 7:21:11 PM
Since the idea is that the democratic structure entails you have representation, laws involving prohibition based on age should be a good benchmark for when you actually have a say in who represents those laws on your behalf. :P Granted it tends to get messy under a certain age.
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2010 7:46:24 PM
At 4/5/2010 6:31:42 PM, headphonegut wrote:
well I'd been discussing at length with my teacher (debate coach) why the voting age should be lowered and some of the benefits however he destroyed me with there are more dumb asses than intellectuals what are your thoughts and reasons for why the voting age should or shouldn't be lowered?

You could have easily refuted this by telling him that there are always gonna be dumb people. There are dumb adults, does this mean we should raise the voting age even more? What about old people? Some people lose their mind as they age, does this mean we should have an age limit also?
kfc
homework
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2010 1:50:27 AM
At 4/5/2010 6:49:12 PM, FREEDO wrote:
The forces that be are always trying to suppress the next generation and hold on to power as long as possible. I say let the future begin. In this era of the internet most teenagers are actually smarter than their parents having been exposed to much more information.

You do realize this applies to every generation, right? We're no different? Our children will be saying this stuff towards us. Would we consider it a fair characterization of ourselves then?
Psychologists think they're experimental psychologists
Experimental psychologists think they're biologists
Biologists think they're biochemists
Biochemists think they're chemists
Chemists think they're physical chemists
Physical chemists think they're physicists
Physicists think they're theoretical physicists
Theoretical physicists think they're mathematicians
Mathematicians think they're metamathematicians
Metamathematicians think they're philosophers
Philosophers think they're Gods
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2010 7:59:55 AM
It should be lowered, but those under 18 should pass a test that shows they are informed enough and care enough to vote. the right vote in ignorance belongs to people who can be drafted and them alone.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2010 8:21:02 AM
At 4/6/2010 7:59:55 AM, Marauder wrote:
It should be lowered, but those under 18 should pass a test that shows they are informed enough and care enough to vote. the right vote in ignorance belongs to people who can be drafted and them alone.

Welcome to autoritarianism and miritocracies worldwide.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
homework
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2010 3:24:03 PM
At 4/6/2010 7:59:55 AM, Marauder wrote:

This test would be highly controversial. After all, what gives anyone the right to determine what should go into the test? Basic math questions? How many branches of government are there? It'd be pretty unpopular to argue that those without math skills or those who don't know our structure of government shouldn't get a say in what government does to them. This might not be a fair characterization, but it reminds me of literacy tests in the south to prevent blacks from voting :(
Psychologists think they're experimental psychologists
Experimental psychologists think they're biologists
Biologists think they're biochemists
Biochemists think they're chemists
Chemists think they're physical chemists
Physical chemists think they're physicists
Physicists think they're theoretical physicists
Theoretical physicists think they're mathematicians
Mathematicians think they're metamathematicians
Metamathematicians think they're philosophers
Philosophers think they're Gods
headphonegut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2010 3:27:56 PM
At 4/5/2010 7:46:24 PM, Koopin wrote:

You could have easily refuted this by telling him that there are always gonna be dumb people. There are dumb adults, does this mean we should raise the voting age even more? What about old people? Some people lose their mind as they age, does this mean we should have an age limit also?

didn't think about that will have another go at him thanks Koopin
crying to soldiers coming home to their dogs why do I torment myself with these videos?
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2010 11:35:54 AM

it is fine where it is.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2010 2:18:15 PM
At 4/9/2010 11:35:54 AM, kelly224 wrote:
Suppressing blacks bad suppressing teenagers good!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2010 12:32:55 PM
At 4/9/2010 2:18:15 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 4/9/2010 11:35:54 AM, kelly224 wrote:
Suppressing blacks bad suppressing teenagers good!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is not suppression, this is law. Teenagers think they know too much. Until an individual can make rational decisons, they should abide by the legal voting age.

And by the way, how is not lowering the age below 18 suppression? Most teenagers can't handle their emtions, why should they be given the same powers as folks who have experienced some things? That is the problem, young folks don't listen to their elders, thus this is why they make unwise choices.
Tamikajones
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2010 12:36:02 PM
At 4/5/2010 6:41:07 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Most adults are dumb asses. Argument falls apart. Around 16 is when average people start getting jobs and pay many of the same taxes adults do. Shouldn't they have a say in the matter?

Part time jobs at mcdonalds =/= full time jobs and a mortgage

By this rational of tax-based voting, 80% of the country would not vote because they actually pay negative tax dollars.
: At 4/21/2010 5:49:24 PM, banker wrote:
: Mirza at least no one is misunderstanding santa...!!
:
:Hitler had sexual issues just like muhammud..!!
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2010 1:16:59 PM
At 4/5/2010 6:37:38 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Raise it to 200. End democracy. Boom, no more people voting to take your stuff.

I second this motion.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2010 1:17:21 PM
At 4/5/2010 6:41:07 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Most adults are ignorant? So your assumption is that you can run the system better? Most people do not start working at 16, some do. They should have a say in the matter when they are not thinking on a teenagers level.

Teenagers may look like adults sometimes, but most have zero patience.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2010 4:18:48 PM
At 4/15/2010 1:17:21 PM, kelly224 wrote:
Most adults are ignorant? So your assumption is that you can run the system better? Most people do not start working at 16, some do. They should have a say in the matter when they are not thinking on a teenagers level.

Teenagers may look like adults sometimes, but most have zero patience.

In total agreement. The problem with teenagers is that they are really convinced that they can revolutionize the system and make it work better, and they almost completely ignore the value of experience.

Having young leaders is nice and all, but that usually leads to all talk and no action. You need a balance between experience and out-of-the-box thinking.

I actually think that people should only be able to vote if they pay a certain amount of taxes. That's a more practical way to determine who makes a better voter.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.