Jump to topic:

Two homosexuals=prom cancelled

18freckles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2010 4:59:38 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Ok so my history class has been discussing the story here in Missouri at some high school that Two lesbians wanted to go to prom, but one wanted to dress like a guy and be on the guy list for prom king. First the school would not allow the two girls to go with eachother as dates. Second they would not allow the girl to dress as a guy. Third ofcourse a gir would not be put on the prom king ballot. But instead of just saying no to the girls and let them figure something out themselves, the school just cancelled the prom as a whole. Now my take on it is the school was over the top. Who cares about homosexuality. I mean yes i get why they said for a girl not to dress as a guy and be on the ballot for prom king, but really why cant someone bring who they want to bring girlfriend(boyfirend) or just a friend? I want to know what society as a whole thinks... My class is half ok half thumbs down and others indifferent... whats yours?
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2010 5:10:57 PM
yep heard about that. really sad. i think the parents got together and threw a "private prom"- not sure if the 2 girls were allowed to go together or not though....

....or they tricked her and had the real prom elsewhere. jerks!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2010 8:29:20 PM
There was a semi official 'other' even organised at a country club where the girl and several other students were not invited. Those that were not invited got stuck with the other event, which from memory had about 7 people. The girls gf was not allowed to attend anyway so she took a friend, left after 1/2 an hour.
lastrequest691
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2010 3:50:03 AM
The School should be destroyed.
"That song was absolutely waste of talent; you sounded like a wounded animal and who told you to play the guitar by yourself." Simon Cowell
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2010 8:30:07 AM
This is MESSED up and disgusting - of the other 5 people invited to the fake prom, two were mentally retarded. What the hell were the other students trying to say here?

Statement from the Huffington Post:

"I am sure your jaw dropped to the floor as mine did when I read the news. According to Constance, two of the five other attendees had learning difficulties – also apparently not worthy of the ‘good' prom. There is so much going on here it's hard to find a place to start figuring out how something so unconscionable could happen – but I will start with the students. We know young people can be cruel (ever seen the film "Mean Girls"?). Homophobia and harassment of LGBT youth in schools often runs rampant – GLSEN's 2007 school climate survey found that 9 out of 10 LGBT students were harassed in the previous year. We also know it isn't just queer kids but anyone who is different faces the wrath of others as we sadly learned last week when Phoebe Prince, an Irish immigrant high school student in Massachusetts, took her own life after being mercilessly harassed and bullied as the ‘new girl'. Knowing this, it is not a stretch to think that Itawamba students would be totally fine with attending a secret prom while fellow ‘different' students were sent to a fake one."

And statement from the Human Rights Campaign:

"We've been following Itawamba student Constance McMillan's struggle to attend prom with her girlfriend and wear the clothes of her choosing. A court decided her school was wrong to deny her attendance but stopped short of ordering them to hold the prom. So parents and private citizens offered to put on the prom, but details of that prom were mysterious and Constance wasn't invited. Then it was reported that the mystery prom had been cancelled, but that another prom would be held at a country club in nearby Fulton, MS; Constance was invited and would be going to this prom. It took place this past Friday and was attended by exactly seven students – Constance, her date and five others, plus some teachers and the principal as chaperones. How could this be? Quite simply and horribly, the event at the country club was a ‘fake' prom and all the other students attended the ‘real' prom at another location."

As a side note: I never heard of her wanting to be on the Prom King list from any resource I've read on this topic.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2010 9:09:06 AM
At 4/12/2010 8:30:07 AM, Vi_Veri wrote:

As a side note: I never heard of her wanting to be on the Prom King list from any resource I've read on this topic.

Same.

The people in the South make me sick. Biggest buncha backwards, fake, hypocritical jerks all concentrated into one region, possibly competing on who could be the most ignorant, close-minded, mean, or anti-intellectual county around. I think a state like Alabama takes the cake (at least Texas has a decent economy... that's about it, though).
President of DDO
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2010 9:11:14 AM
Yep, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Texas.... The list goes on, unfortunately.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Tamikajones
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2010 12:54:35 PM
That's ridiculously messed up
: At 4/21/2010 5:49:24 PM, banker wrote:
: Mirza at least no one is misunderstanding santa...!!
:
:Hitler had sexual issues just like muhammud..!!