Categorical Imperative Refutation

ciphermind
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2010 2:39:07 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Lincoln Douglas Help Needed:

I have a state debate tournament coming up soon, and over the history of this topic
(Economic sanctions ought not be used to achieve foreign policy objectives)
I have been unable to effectively tear down the Categorical Imperative as a Value Criterion paired with Morality as a Value.

Any possible responses to fundamentally defeat Immanuel Kant's Categorical Imperative? (My Value is Liberty with a Criterion of Capitalism, i.e. liberty is being infringed by the prohibition of trade and financial relations during a sanction)
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2010 3:35:16 PM
inb4 R_R goes crazy
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2010 4:24:43 PM
At 4/15/2010 2:39:07 PM, ciphermind wrote:
Lincoln Douglas Help Needed:

I have a state debate tournament coming up soon, and over the history of this topic
(Economic sanctions ought not be used to achieve foreign policy objectives)
I have been unable to effectively tear down the Categorical Imperative as a Value Criterion paired with Morality as a Value.

Any possible responses to fundamentally defeat Immanuel Kant's Categorical Imperative? (My Value is Liberty with a Criterion of Capitalism, i.e. liberty is being infringed by the prohibition of trade and financial relations during a sanction)

CI to be valid (under the system), it must be true in all possible cases (universal) and removed from the benefit of the actor. The fact the resolution aims at advancing a particular set of political ideals, undercuts the foundation of act to be considered a CI - you are treating others as a means to an end, big nono under CI.