Jump to topic:

When is it time to die

paininthenuts
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2014 4:34:53 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I am fully aware that the majority of people on this forum are from the States, but please don't feel about that. In the UK adults are allowed to retire between 65 and 68 depending on when you were born. Recent legislation has changed the age someone can draw a state pension. After that you see out your years costing the NHS a fortune to keep you alive and generally is some sort of pain or discomfort. My mother has advanced dementia, and lies in her bed staring at the wall all day. My father is in a mental health hospital, after becoming addicted to strong pain killers. He also has lung cancer, after spending many years chain smoking cigars. In my opinion neither of them should be alive. Neither are happy, neither serve a purpose to society, and both are costing the tax payer heaps of money. So what would I do ?

My suggestion is that people should receive a healthy state pension at the age of 55 and be executed at 70. This would allow people to plan their finances and in many cases allow people to fulfill their bucket list, knowing they won't run out of money. The likelihood of dying of a painful disease is vastly reduced, and the cost to the state is radically reduced also. Friends and relatives won't get a nasty shock when you go, as you could possibly consider a going away party before your big day comes. I believe that if from day one you know what is going to happen, you may even look forward to your final termination.

Of course, this will never happen, but why? Human beings are 90% emotive, and 10% logical. You can, and probably will argue this point, and I suspect I will have few people on my side. The one thing I can guarantee you though, is that there is NO logical argument against my proposal.
indago
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2014 4:21:17 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
"Health and fitness are better than any gold, and bodily vigour than boundless prosperity. There is no wealth to compare with health of body, no festivity to equal a joyful heart. Better death than a life of misery, eternal rest than a long illness." " Ecclesiasticus 30 v 15