Jump to topic:

Drink Driving

paininthenuts
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2014 5:55:26 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
On another forum I used to post on, the category for this type of subject fell into "Society, Law and Order", so this is why I have decided to post this thread here.

I don't know about the US, but here in the UK the government started a campaign about 20 years ago to rid the world of drunk drivers. Now, I don't have a problem with locking drunk drivers away for a long time, but do have a problem with people being treated like murderers for having a few over the limit. The difference in punishment for being very drunk and being a little over the limit is quite minimal here. Shortly Scotland are to reduce their limit by half, which in turn means that some men may be over the limit buy drinking just one pint of beer. The pub trade in the UK is in a horrible state, and this type of madness will help put yet another nail in the coffin.

Of course, a handful of lives will be saved, however in a world where we have in addition of 6 billion people, does it really matter that much. In the UK, significantly more people are killed by young drivers, than drunk drivers, but there are no moves to increase the age a person can have a license. I suspect it is the same in the US.

I propose each person should undergo tests to ascertain their ability to drink and drive, and have this information printed on their license. I would also suggest we teach people to drive after they have had a few drinks, rather than to introduce prohibition.

Unfortunately the government have managed to brainwash the majority of the population into their way of thinking, and we now have people that believe it is a worse offense than rape.

Your thoughts please !!
RevolutionEVOLVE
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 6:19:44 AM
I have taken a stance on the issue that isnt very popular but I think that is what makes it a great idea...public opinion- as you stated-can be influenced...so popular isnt always correct.
Anyway my stance is that drunk driving laws over time will do more harm than good and that they are not about saving lives as much as they are about generating revenue.
This is not about whether drinking impairs the ability to drive- I think I can draw from my experiences enough to say that- It aint guuud.
The issue has a couple aspects that are worthy on their own and the first is- We already have laws in place that make it a criminal act to kill a person or damage someones property. Driving drunk should fall under these laws- so if you kill a person with your car and you were impaired by alcohol the punishment would be more than if caused by driver error or whatever....assuming of course the drunk driver is found to be at fault.
What drunk driving laws are doing now is punishing you for driving with an elevated risk or higher potential to cause death or damage to property. That doesnt seem like a reasonable reason to punish someone so harshly that it has potential to ruin their life.
That is my next point. I believe that because the punishment is so harsh and so difficult to recover from it will actually only serve to increase the odds that out of despair or seemingly overwhelming loss of self worth, of repeating offenses.

An example I use to illustrate the potential for more harm than good would be:
In the USA there are states that allow what the police like to call "safety checkpoints" where they randomly stop vehicles to assess if the driver has been drinking. The also take this opportunity to ask for your license and insurance info (though you are not required to provide them- there is plenty of video evidence suggesting invoking these rights will enrage police so you have to be willing to deal with that and the potential for you to be harmed as a result) Now there has been a checkpoint outside of my subdivision during holiday weekends on several occasions.. If I made the poor decision to drive drunk and safely made it to the checkpoint I may face drunk driving charges-for my elevated risk to due damage or harm. *I want to be clear I have a clean record - that doesnt mean I havent tempted fate, but illustrates that laws themselves will not stop a poor decision. I am lucky that is all* It is important to keep in mind that drinking and driving carries no guarantee that you will do harm or damage- just that you are more likely to. Similar to texting maybe? Maybe even more mundane things like looking down to changing radio stations...taking too long to read a roadside advertisement or "what the f#%k does that bumper sticker say?" With the exception of texting everything else has no specific laws that I am aware of, but all have the same element of greater risk involved.
SO I have driven all the way to 3 blocks from my driveway without incident, and here I am nailed at a checkpoint. I made a mistake and now I face the consequences- Though I have not done anything to anyone and was withing a short distance of my house I will be paying the price.
Now it is easy to imagine that my poor judgement could cost me my job.... It could create financial strain and cause me to lose my wife, my house.....
Imagine the mindset of someone who is jobless, unable to drive legally, possibly homeless...alone....Can we see the potential for this to result in a repeat offense? What about something worse, homeless, alone, hungry? Would I be more of a threat to harm someone or damage property if I needed to survive? I have no idea-but I leave it open to possibility.
Harsh punishments for increased risk seem to have a potential to do more harm over time than immediate good. Exploring potential alternatives that give people access to transportation seems like a better option...but how does law enforcement agencies benefit financially from that?
Better to have strict laws and Nazi..safety checkpoints...stay sober show your papers all is good.
paininthenuts
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2014 12:33:58 PM
At 10/26/2014 6:19:44 AM, RevolutionEVOLVE wrote:
I have taken a stance on the issue that isnt very popular but I think that is what makes it a great idea...public opinion- as you stated-can be influenced...so popular isnt always correct.
Anyway my stance is that drunk driving laws over time will do more harm than good and that they are not about saving lives as much as they are about generating revenue.
This is not about whether drinking impairs the ability to drive- I think I can draw from my experiences enough to say that- It aint guuud.
The issue has a couple aspects that are worthy on their own and the first is- We already have laws in place that make it a criminal act to kill a person or damage someones property. Driving drunk should fall under these laws- so if you kill a person with your car and you were impaired by alcohol the punishment would be more than if caused by driver error or whatever....assuming of course the drunk driver is found to be at fault.
What drunk driving laws are doing now is punishing you for driving with an elevated risk or higher potential to cause death or damage to property. That doesnt seem like a reasonable reason to punish someone so harshly that it has potential to ruin their life.
That is my next point. I believe that because the punishment is so harsh and so difficult to recover from it will actually only serve to increase the odds that out of despair or seemingly overwhelming loss of self worth, of repeating offenses.

An example I use to illustrate the potential for more harm than good would be:
In the USA there are states that allow what the police like to call "safety checkpoints" where they randomly stop vehicles to assess if the driver has been drinking. The also take this opportunity to ask for your license and insurance info (though you are not required to provide them- there is plenty of video evidence suggesting invoking these rights will enrage police so you have to be willing to deal with that and the potential for you to be harmed as a result) Now there has been a checkpoint outside of my subdivision during holiday weekends on several occasions.. If I made the poor decision to drive drunk and safely made it to the checkpoint I may face drunk driving charges-for my elevated risk to due damage or harm. *I want to be clear I have a clean record - that doesnt mean I havent tempted fate, but illustrates that laws themselves will not stop a poor decision. I am lucky that is all* It is important to keep in mind that drinking and driving carries no guarantee that you will do harm or damage- just that you are more likely to. Similar to texting maybe? Maybe even more mundane things like looking down to changing radio stations...taking too long to read a roadside advertisement or "what the f#%k does that bumper sticker say?" With the exception of texting everything else has no specific laws that I am aware of, but all have the same element of greater risk involved.
SO I have driven all the way to 3 blocks from my driveway without incident, and here I am nailed at a checkpoint. I made a mistake and now I face the consequences- Though I have not done anything to anyone and was withing a short distance of my house I will be paying the price.
Now it is easy to imagine that my poor judgement could cost me my job.... It could create financial strain and cause me to lose my wife, my house.....
Imagine the mindset of someone who is jobless, unable to drive legally, possibly homeless...alone....Can we see the potential for this to result in a repeat offense? What about something worse, homeless, alone, hungry? Would I be more of a threat to harm someone or damage property if I needed to survive? I have no idea-but I leave it open to possibility.
Harsh punishments for increased risk seem to have a potential to do more harm over time than immediate good. Exploring potential alternatives that give people access to transportation seems like a better option...but how does law enforcement agencies benefit financially from that?
Better to have strict laws and Nazi..safety checkpoints...stay sober show your papers all is good.

I agree with almost all of that. In the UK also we have laws to cover bad driving of all sorts. In fact, somebody driving badly will almost get off with a slap on the wrists, whereas someone over the limit driving perfectly well will lose their license and possibly their job as a result of this. In short, the latter driver will get punished for something they MAY do wrong, whereas the former is let off for something they HAVE done wrong. It's just crazy, and as you say it is an easy money earner.