Total Posts:8|Showing Posts:1-8
Jump to topic:

Misandry in the media

intellectuallyprimitive
Posts: 1,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 12:18:58 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I recently discovered this channel, wherein contains a series titled, "Misandry in the media," which entails the commentary on a multitude of commercials and advertisements that portay misandry and condescension towards men.

https://www.youtube.com...
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 6:46:33 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/28/2014 2:20:14 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Khaos_Mage: Your point?

The Fool: There is a sense in which the Media is just as negative and harmful in the way it portrays men, but perhaps nothing worse then feminism. The fact is we just don't complain as much. And when we finally pipe-up, mostly to defend the charge being the oppressors of the world, it's not taken as seriously. In fact its discouraged and dismissed as whinny.

And that very problem is an inherent bias in society that we Ought be made aware of, so we can at least recognize when it's being done and when its not.

Against The Ideologist
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
intellectuallyprimitive
Posts: 1,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 10:04:09 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 10/30/2014 6:46:33 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 10/28/2014 2:20:14 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Khaos_Mage: Your point?

The Fool: There is a sense in which the Media is just as negative and harmful in the way it portrays men, but perhaps nothing worse then feminism. The fact is we just don't complain as much. And when we finally pipe-up, mostly to defend the charge being the oppressors of the world, it's not taken as seriously. In fact its discouraged and dismissed as whinny.

And that very problem is an inherent bias in society that we Ought be made aware of, so we can at least recognize when it's being done and when its not.

Against The Ideologist

Precisely! The content in the video is not what bothers me, and as me you agree, men tend to complain less. What does bother me are the double standards. When media portrays negativity towards that of women, feminism promptly stomps its boot, and evokes the, your objectifying women or, that's misogyny! Where are the feminist and their gender equality campaign regarding the misadry in the media?
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 9:20:32 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Next!
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2015 10:47:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
UndeniableReality
Posts: 1,897
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2015 1:25:52 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/30/2014 10:04:09 PM, intellectuallyprimitive wrote:
At 10/30/2014 6:46:33 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 10/28/2014 2:20:14 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Khaos_Mage: Your point?

The Fool: There is a sense in which the Media is just as negative and harmful in the way it portrays men, but perhaps nothing worse then feminism. The fact is we just don't complain as much. And when we finally pipe-up, mostly to defend the charge being the oppressors of the world, it's not taken as seriously. In fact its discouraged and dismissed as whinny.

And that very problem is an inherent bias in society that we Ought be made aware of, so we can at least recognize when it's being done and when its not.

Against The Ideologist

Precisely! The content in the video is not what bothers me, and as me you agree, men tend to complain less. What does bother me are the double standards. When media portrays negativity towards that of women, feminism promptly stomps its boot, and evokes the, your objectifying women or, that's misogyny! Where are the feminist and their gender equality campaign regarding the misadry in the media?

All that the two of you have said here.... seems to me to be a rare example of healthy masculinism (is that the word?). My wife is a feminist, and when she refers to herself that way, she also means that she tries to be aware of misandry and speak up for men as well. It is unfortunate that many seem to feel that there is nothing wrong with being derogatory towards men as a group (men are slaves to their sexuality, men are naturally oppressive or violent, men are abusive, men don't care about raising their children, men are not good at raising their children, men are not clean, etc.).

It still seems to me that women overall have the short end of the stick, and I also consider myself a feminist (in the sense that we should strive for equality), but I do think we need to explicitly address sexism against all genders if we are ever to achieve some sense of fairness or equality.

Anyway, I appreciate your comments, and I hope I'm not hunted by hordes of unthinking hippies for suggesting that men can also be hurt by generalizations about male psychology and ability.