Total Posts:18|Showing Posts:1-18
Jump to topic:

The Americanisation of Britain

paininthenuts
Posts: 161
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2014 5:13:29 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
There is an old saying in the UK, "when America sneezes, Britain catches a cold". This generally relates to financial matters, however in the last twenty years I have witnessed changes in old Blitey, that frankly don't make me happy.

1) The compensation and litigation culture has crept in.
2) Health & safety has taken over the work place
3) Political correctness, and the constant fear something said may upset someone.
4) Halloween. We now have kids knocking on doors scrounging sweets and begging for money. Adults dressing up like idiots, and offices being decorated.
5) School proms. An expensive and unnecessary end to a school term.

Now don't get me wrong, I have no problem with America or it's people, but I feel like we are being taken over. I am sure it won't be long before we start celebrating Independence day and thanks giving.

This got me thinking, are there what you would class as British intrusions on your American culture ?
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2014 7:12:46 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/1/2014 5:13:29 AM, paininthenuts wrote:
There is an old saying in the UK, "when America sneezes, Britain catches a cold". This generally relates to financial matters, however in the last twenty years I have witnessed changes in old Blitey, that frankly don't make me happy.

1) The compensation and litigation culture has crept in.
2) Health & safety has taken over the work place
3) Political correctness, and the constant fear something said may upset someone.
4) Halloween. We now have kids knocking on doors scrounging sweets and begging for money. Adults dressing up like idiots, and offices being decorated.
5) School proms. An expensive and unnecessary end to a school term.

Now don't get me wrong, I have no problem with America or it's people, but I feel like we are being taken over. I am sure it won't be long before we start celebrating Independence day and thanks giving.

This got me thinking, are there what you would class as British intrusions on your American culture ?

There are no British intrusions. We're the cool kid. We. Don't hang off Britians nuts they hang off of ours as your post has made clear.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2014 8:00:28 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
You guys need to come over to our way of eating a steak. The British eat with knife and fork in hand cutting a piece and shoving it into their mouth immediately. That is just savage. Are you guys such impatient savages, that you can't wait until the whole steak is cut into pieces first?

What the hell is the rush? Just completely cut up the steak before eating it you morons.
Zaradi
Posts: 14,121
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2014 8:17:05 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/1/2014 8:00:28 AM, Wylted wrote:
You guys need to come over to our way of eating a steak. The British eat with knife and fork in hand cutting a piece and shoving it into their mouth immediately. That is just savage. Are you guys such impatient savages, that you can't wait until the whole steak is cut into pieces first?

What the hell is the rush? Just completely cut up the steak before eating it you morons.

Wylted come on man. He's just a Brit don't be so hard on him they're just starting to catch up with the rest of the civilized world.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Posts: 36,233
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2014 8:23:12 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/1/2014 5:13:29 AM, paininthenuts wrote:
There is an old saying in the UK, "when America sneezes, Britain catches a cold". This generally relates to financial matters, however in the last twenty years I have witnessed changes in old Blitey, that frankly don't make me happy.

1) The compensation and litigation culture has crept in.

Actually, that's a phenomenon in the UK that predates a similar trend in the US.

2) Health & safety has taken over the work place

That is also a phenomenon in the UK that predates a similar trend in the US.

3) Political correctness, and the constant fear something said may upset someone.

That is likewise a phenomenon in the UK that predates a similar trend in the US by some considerable number of years.

4) Halloween. We now have kids knocking on doors scrounging sweets and begging for money. Adults dressing up like idiots, and offices being decorated.

Ok, that one did come from the United States.

5) School proms. An expensive and unnecessary end to a school term.

Now don't get me wrong, I have no problem with America or it's people, but I feel like we are being taken over. I am sure it won't be long before we start celebrating Independence day and thanks giving.

Now this one I'm not sure about. The inter-school "dance" is a phenomenon that's been around for some time, although the "prom" is something that is somewhat conceptually new to the UK.

This got me thinking, are there what you would class as British intrusions on your American culture ?

There is an extraordinarily high degree of overlap between British and American culture, society, politics, etc. The United States and the UK are very closely intertwined, to that end -and that has always been the case.

For example, appeal of British authors in the United States abounds: Shakespeare, Dickens, Tolkien, Lewis, Orwell and Rowling -just to name a few.

British Television is immensely popular in the US; Sherlock, the X factor, Top Gear and The office -case and point.

British Music is also highly popular in the US: The Beatles, The Stones, Led Zeppelin, Sting, Pink Floyd, David Bowie, Elton John, Coldplay and Adele.

I say all of this to emphasize the point that while there are some substantive areas of cultural overlap between the US and the UK, the UK exerts a considerable amount of influence over the US in the same way that the US exerts a considerable amount of influence over the UK. I would submit that that's a good thing.
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,098
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2014 9:00:59 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/1/2014 8:26:56 AM, Zaradi wrote:
At 11/1/2014 8:23:12 AM, YYW wrote:


Leave it to YYW to always be serious...lol

I'm pretty sure the OP was serious too.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Zaradi
Posts: 14,121
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2014 9:02:33 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/1/2014 9:00:59 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 11/1/2014 8:26:56 AM, Zaradi wrote:
At 11/1/2014 8:23:12 AM, YYW wrote:


Leave it to YYW to always be serious...lol

I'm pretty sure the OP was serious too.

Oh I know. I was being serious too :^)
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2014 9:51:55 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/1/2014 9:02:33 AM, Zaradi wrote:
At 11/1/2014 9:00:59 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 11/1/2014 8:26:56 AM, Zaradi wrote:
At 11/1/2014 8:23:12 AM, YYW wrote:


Leave it to YYW to always be serious...lol

I'm pretty sure the OP was serious too.

Oh I know. I was being serious too :^)

Seriously?
Wocambs
Posts: 1,505
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2014 10:30:00 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/1/2014 5:13:29 AM, paininthenuts wrote:

The Americanisation of Britain:

1. The devolution of political discourse. All major parties are now centre-right or right-wing.
2. Politicians now indulge in increasingly moronic shows of patriotism
3. People want to 'keep Britain British', our very own version of condemning things for being 'un-American'
4. People are describing themselves as 'libertarian' in the American sense.
5. Clever satire has died. All we have now is awkward humour.
Zaradi
Posts: 14,121
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2014 11:06:19 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/1/2014 9:51:55 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 11/1/2014 9:02:33 AM, Zaradi wrote:
At 11/1/2014 9:00:59 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 11/1/2014 8:26:56 AM, Zaradi wrote:
At 11/1/2014 8:23:12 AM, YYW wrote:


Leave it to YYW to always be serious...lol

I'm pretty sure the OP was serious too.

Oh I know. I was being serious too :^)

Seriously?

100%. Obviously I'm being entirely serious.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Cermank
Posts: 3,773
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2014 11:19:38 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/1/2014 10:30:00 AM, Wocambs wrote:
At 11/1/2014 5:13:29 AM, paininthenuts wrote:

The Americanisation of Britain:

3. People want to 'keep Britain British', our very own version of condemning things for being 'un-American'

I don't think this in particular is an american invention, tbh. The generation of an illusionary community (the one the patriots supposedly love) is just a conspiracy by the government to redirect the interests of the dominant economic class to a political agenda. just a byproduct of capitalism. its universal.
Wocambs
Posts: 1,505
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2014 12:18:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/1/2014 11:19:38 AM, Cermank wrote:
At 11/1/2014 10:30:00 AM, Wocambs wrote:
At 11/1/2014 5:13:29 AM, paininthenuts wrote:

The Americanisation of Britain:

3. People want to 'keep Britain British', our very own version of condemning things for being 'un-American'

I don't think this in particular is an american invention, tbh. The generation of an illusionary community (the one the patriots supposedly love) is just a conspiracy by the government to redirect the interests of the dominant economic class to a political agenda. just a byproduct of capitalism. its universal.

I know. Even Sweden have their 'hate immigrants, welfare, women and gays, love rich people, armies, prisons and our flag' party now. I talk a lot of sh"t sometimes.
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2014 2:48:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/1/2014 10:30:00 AM, Wocambs wrote:
At 11/1/2014 5:13:29 AM, paininthenuts wrote:

The Americanisation of Britain:

1. The devolution of political discourse. All major parties are now centre-right or right-wing.
2. Politicians now indulge in increasingly moronic shows of patriotism
3. People want to 'keep Britain British', our very own version of condemning things for being 'un-American'
4. People are describing themselves as 'libertarian' in the American sense.
5. Clever satire has died. All we have now is awkward humour.

Excellent points.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
charleslb
Posts: 4,740
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2014 2:50:50 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/1/2014 5:13:29 AM, paininthenuts wrote:
There is an old saying in the UK, "when America sneezes, Britain catches a cold". This generally relates to financial matters, however in the last twenty years I have witnessed changes in old Blitey, that frankly don't make me happy.

1) The compensation and litigation culture has crept in.
2) Health & safety has taken over the work place
3) Political correctness, and the constant fear something said may upset someone.
4) Halloween. We now have kids knocking on doors scrounging sweets and begging for money. Adults dressing up like idiots, and offices being decorated.
5) School proms. An expensive and unnecessary end to a school term.

Now don't get me wrong, I have no problem with America or it's people, but I feel like we are being taken over. I am sure it won't be long before we start celebrating Independence day and thanks giving.

This got me thinking, are there what you would class as British intrusions on your American culture ?

Yes, the cultural hegemony & imperialism of the U.S. doesn't spare other First-World societies.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2014 10:55:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/1/2014 5:13:29 AM, paininthenuts wrote:
There is an old saying in the UK, "when America sneezes, Britain catches a cold". This generally relates to financial matters, however in the last twenty years I have witnessed changes in old Blitey, that frankly don't make me happy.

1) The compensation and litigation culture has crept in.

2) Health & safety has taken over the work place
3) Political correctness, and the constant fear something said may upset someone.

The Fool: These two sound a little more Canadian than American. Americans are generally rude.
<(89)

4) Halloween. We now have kids knocking on doors scrounging sweets and begging for money. Adults dressing up like idiots, and offices being decorated.
5) School proms. An expensive and unnecessary end to a school term.

Now don't get me wrong, I have no problem with America or it's people, but I feel like we are being taken over. I am sure it won't be long before we start celebrating Independence day and thanks giving.

This got me thinking, are there what you would class as British intrusions on your American culture ?
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
paininthenuts
Posts: 161
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 4:11:39 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/1/2014 2:48:52 PM, charleslb wrote:
At 11/1/2014 10:30:00 AM, Wocambs wrote:
At 11/1/2014 5:13:29 AM, paininthenuts wrote:

The Americanisation of Britain:

1. The devolution of political discourse. All major parties are now centre-right or right-wing.
2. Politicians now indulge in increasingly moronic shows of patriotism
3. People want to 'keep Britain British', our very own version of condemning things for being 'un-American'
4. People are describing themselves as 'libertarian' in the American sense.
5. Clever satire has died. All we have now is awkward humour.

Excellent points.

The UK differs in a few ways.

1) Point "1" absolutely correct.
2) Point "2" not the same. Our politicians avoid being patriotic, as they can be accused of being racist by the more Liberal faction.
3) The majority of indigenous people in the UK do want to keep Britain British, and are pretty fed up with the influx of millions of people unprepared to share our culture. Human beings are tribal creatures, and this reaction is natural.
4) We differ on this point. Most of our Liberals deny being Liberal. They genuinely believe that their views are the views of the majority, even when every poll disproves this.
5) Yep, the same here
Wocambs
Posts: 1,505
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2014 9:31:50 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/2/2014 4:11:39 AM, paininthenuts wrote:
At 11/1/2014 2:48:52 PM, charleslb wrote:
At 11/1/2014 10:30:00 AM, Wocambs wrote:
At 11/1/2014 5:13:29 AM, paininthenuts wrote:

The Americanisation of Britain:

1. The devolution of political discourse. All major parties are now centre-right or right-wing.
2. Politicians now indulge in increasingly moronic shows of patriotism
3. People want to 'keep Britain British', our very own version of condemning things for being 'un-American'
4. People are describing themselves as 'libertarian' in the American sense.
5. Clever satire has died. All we have now is awkward humour.

Excellent points.

The UK differs in a few ways.

1) Point "1" absolutely correct.
2) Point "2" not the same. Our politicians avoid being patriotic, as they can be accused of being racist by the more Liberal faction.
3) The majority of indigenous people in the UK do want to keep Britain British, and are pretty fed up with the influx of millions of people unprepared to share our culture. Human beings are tribal creatures, and this reaction is natural.
4) We differ on this point. Most of our Liberals deny being Liberal. They genuinely believe that their views are the views of the majority, even when every poll disproves this.
5) Yep, the same here

Sorry, but racists walk around pretty openly these days, e.g. yourself.