Total Posts:47|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Would you torture your daughters rapist?

Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 4:51:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
http://thesource.com...

Interesting article, I have conflicting feelings about it. Curious to hear what other people think.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 5:07:56 PM
It would depend on the how she was raped.
There is a difference between being held prisoner and beaten and raped for hours, and between my 16 year old daughter having sex with a 20 year old.
My work here is, finally, done.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 5:36:01 PM
At 11/5/2014 5:07:56 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
There is a difference between being held prisoner and beaten and raped for hours, and between my 16 year old daughter having sex with a 20 year old.

Depending upon the state, that example isn't rape. It would be up to the parent to raise cane about it, the state wouldn't prosecute that of its own accord.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
neptune1bond
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 5:43:54 PM
At 11/5/2014 4:51:39 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Interesting article, I have conflicting feelings about it. Curious to hear what other people think.

Although I understand the father's extreme rage and I do not disagree that it feels that rapists deserve to be punished severely, I cannot say that I agree with the father's choice nor how it was enacted. The "punishment" does not fit, nor is the equivalent of, the crime. It is also only reasonable to have the punishment created and carried out by an independent and unbiased third party. When people have personal attachments to the crime they cannot be fair and reasonable and it's far too easy for them to get carried away and this is obviously an extreme version of that. The father obviously devised the most painful and horrible torture that he could come up with and was capable of. Whether or not he intended the death is also very questionable. It is important that we understand the actual purpose of punishment, which is to help correct the behavior rather than simply the satisfaction of seeing someone else suffer. For this reason, I also believe in attempts at reform of the criminal rather than simply "hurting someone because they hurt someone else". The point is, if a person can be helped and can accomplish true reform then they might be able to safely be released back into society and may even try to attempt some form of restitution for the victim(s) and their family. This is one of the many reasons why governments fall incredibly and horrifically short to the detriment and danger of everyone, not to mention how they are incredibly inefficient. They do nothing to actually inspire change but instead hold criminals in a place where they are well taken care of and have access to all sorts of amenities (or they might even just charge them a fine), and then they release them back into society as though they won't ever do the same thing again or this process has somehow changed the criminal and their world-view on some profound level making them safe and trustworthy.

This obviously doesn't speak to the most preferred method of taking care of rape and other criminal behaviors, which is prevention. If we can figure out what makes criminals in the first place, then we can come up with ways of spotting potentially dangerous situations and correcting the problem before criminal behaviors are enacted. This would obviously be the best thing. For instance, we already know some of the factors that contribute to the creation of sexual deviancy, like abuse that occurred when the rapist was a child (especially sexual abuse, usually by a person of the same gender that they abuse later), lack of a mother AND father in the home or at least a strong male and female role model that is a regular part of the child's life, social isolation, lack of education (or exposure to good ideas, facts, and critical thinking), lack of good character development or sense of morality and consequences, etc. Frequently, criminals were victims many times before they victimized others. Violence is a cycle that is perpetuated by many and by people of all races/genders/sexual orientations/etc. We only seem to notice when people resort to extreme criminal behavior, but it usually starts long before that and many times was caused by people that are never caught or even thought of as criminals in the first place.

I personally believe that one of the biggest solutions to such problems is "peaceful parenting". Here is a link to a website that discusses peaceful parenting:

http://www.peacefulparenting.info...

I really like the quote they place on the banner near the top:

"One generation full of deeply loving parents would change the brain of the next generation, and with that, the world."
-Dr. Charles Raison
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 6:06:25 PM

So you're saying you would torture the guy in the former case?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 6:06:44 PM
At 11/5/2014 5:36:01 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

Depending upon the state, that example isn't rape. It would be up to the parent to raise cane about it, the state wouldn't prosecute that of its own accord.

To my knowledge, that is rape in every state.
Some may be 18, others 19, but a four year difference for minors is off-limits everywhere.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 6:08:45 PM
At 11/5/2014 6:06:25 PM, Maikuru wrote:

So you're saying you would torture the guy in the former case?

I'd be much more inclined to, yes.
If I could bottle my rage against the guy, I wouldn't, but if I couldn't, God have mercy on his soul, and mine.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 6:15:10 PM
At 11/5/2014 6:06:44 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 11/5/2014 5:36:01 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

To my knowledge, that is rape in every state.
Some may be 18, others 19, but a four year difference for minors is off-limits everywhere.

In Florida its 24 provided the younger of the pair is 16+.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 7:29:04 PM
No. Geeze, no. What in the actual f*ck kind of question is this? Torturing the man requires a mentality as unstable as the rapist himself.
Nolite Timere
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2014 12:38:02 AM
If it were proven he was the rapist.... I would not kill him. I would torture him. I have a plan of how as well.

Paralyze him temporarily, tie him down to a chair. Slice him up with a thin knife. Rub salt, pepper and citrus juices into their wounds. Suspend them in mid air, and dig them with a dull knife. Light their bottom with gunpowder, and slice their d*ck, and wait till they bleed to almost death, slowly and painfully.

There a few more as well.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2014 12:38:23 AM
o
Solonkr~

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2014 12:55:52 AM
At 11/5/2014 7:29:04 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
No. Geeze, no. What in the actual f*ck kind of question is this? Torturing the man requires a mentality as unstable as the rapist himself.

Monsters we are lest monsters we become.
jimtimmy4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2014 12:58:44 AM

I pretty much agree with this.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2014 7:47:01 AM

No.

In many ways, there are aspects of vigilante justice that appeal to people on a visceral level. I think the impetus to seek revenge is especially strong where a person hurts a member of our family. But, civilized society does not extend that right to individuals -and for good reason. Even a criminal has the right to due process, and a victim's remedy is properly in the courts.
Tsar of DDO
Natec
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2014 8:22:53 AM
At 11/7/2014 12:38:02 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
If it were proven he was the rapist.... I would not kill him. I would torture him. I have a plan of how as well.

Paralyze him temporarily, tie him down to a chair. Slice him up with a thin knife. Rub salt, pepper and citrus juices into their wounds. Suspend them in mid air, and dig them with a dull knife. Light their bottom with gunpowder, and slice their d*ck, and wait till they bleed to almost death, slowly and painfully.

Would you really do that if given the chance?
Dude... stop...
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2014 4:55:54 PM
At 11/5/2014 5:43:54 PM, neptune1bond wrote:

Although I understand the father's extreme rage and I do not disagree that it feels that rapists deserve to be punished severely, I cannot say that I agree with the father's choice nor how it was enacted. The "punishment" does not fit, nor is the equivalent of, the crime. It is also only reasonable to have the punishment created and carried out by an independent and unbiased third party. When people have personal attachments to the crime they cannot be fair and reasonable and it's far too easy for them to get carried away and this is obviously an extreme version of that. The father obviously devised the most painful and horrible torture that he could come up with and was capable of. Whether or not he intended the death is also very questionable. It is important that we understand the actual purpose of punishment, which is to help correct the behavior rather than simply the satisfaction of seeing someone else suffer. For this reason, I also believe in attempts at reform of the criminal rather than simply "hurting someone because they hurt someone else". The point is, if a person can be helped and can accomplish true reform then they might be able to safely be released back into society and may even try to attempt some form of restitution for the victim(s) and their family. This is one of the many reasons why governments fall incredibly and horrifically short to the detriment and danger of everyone, not to mention how they are incredibly inefficient. They do nothing to actually inspire change but instead hold criminals in a place where they are well taken care of and have access to all sorts of amenities (or they might even just charge them a fine), and then they release them back into society as though they won't ever do the same thing again or this process has somehow changed the criminal and their world-view on some profound level making them safe and trustworthy.

This obviously doesn't speak to the most preferred method of taking care of rape and other criminal behaviors, which is prevention. If we can figure out what makes criminals in the first place, then we can come up with ways of spotting potentially dangerous situations and correcting the problem before criminal behaviors are enacted. This would obviously be the best thing. For instance, we already know some of the factors that contribute to the creation of sexual deviancy, like abuse that occurred when the rapist was a child (especially sexual abuse, usually by a person of the same gender that they abuse later), lack of a mother AND father in the home or at least a strong male and female role model that is a regular part of the child's life, social isolation, lack of education (or exposure to good ideas, facts, and critical thinking), lack of good character development or sense of morality and consequences, etc. Frequently, criminals were victims many times before they victimized others. Violence is a cycle that is perpetuated by many and by people of all races/genders/sexual orientations/etc. We only seem to notice when people resort to extreme criminal behavior, but it usually starts long before that and many times was caused by people that are never caught or even thought of as criminals in the first place.

I personally believe that one of the biggest solutions to such problems is "peaceful parenting". Here is a link to a website that discusses peaceful parenting:

http://www.peacefulparenting.info...

I really like the quote they place on the banner near the top:

"One generation full of deeply loving parents would change the brain of the next generation, and with that, the world."
-Dr. Charles Raison

Thank you for your response which was, as usual, very well composed and covered alot of avenues of thought.

For me, I felt conflicted because while I believe justice was served, it was done too extreme and obviously by a biased party (her father) as you pointed out above. It's hard for me to imagine how I'd handle such a situation because I don't have a daughter of my own yet, but knowing how protective I am over my cats leads me to imagine myself probably reacting the same way. I think you touched on a very important part, that of "rehabilitating" the criminal instead of just tossing him in a cell and thinking that's going to do the trick.

That's the key to my own feelings about it - If I felt the justice system wouldn't be enough, then I'd rely on my own punishment should I ever catch the person like this father did. But if we had a justice system in place that focuses more on 'rehabilitating" the criminal rather than simply punishing him then that would be something I'd feel comfortable pursuing should such a situation ever occur to me or my family. In reality, I would probably still wish to torture him a little, just because of the pain caused to my hypothetical daughter. But if we could find a means to address the root issues which cause such behavior in these people, it'd be a good start and something I'd be open to. I just wouldn't want him to continue doing such things once he is released, that's the most important thing in all of this - actually changing their behavior.

All in all, I appreciate your response greatly, you always know how to look at these types of situations rationally and cover all the bases well. Thank you!
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2014 4:59:42 PM
At 11/5/2014 7:29:04 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:

I appreciate your response. The question was to gauge the opinions of others due to my own conflicted nature on the topic at hand. I can't really take a stance either way because I don't have a daughter yet, so I really don't know what I'd think or do should something like that ever happen to my own child. It would really depend on my own confidence in the legal system - whether I think actual justice would occur or not. If I felt it inadequate, I would most likely take matters into my own hands, but as a previous user mentioned - should our system focus more on rehabilitation rather than punishment - then maybe I'd feel more comfortable handing him over to authorities.

No matter what, I don't feel that his death was justified, I'm more curious in regards to the torture aspect.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2014 5:00:42 PM

Yeah, you shared this with me the other night. That would be an effective way to torture something, that's fashure.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2014 5:03:21 PM
At 11/7/2014 12:52:06 AM, Garbanza wrote:
No. That's completely fvcked up for too many reasons to even list.

I'd like to see your list as to why that's too fvcked up. I'm just trying to gauge what my fellow users think.

For me, the death wasn't justified, but I'm not sure on how I feel about the torture aspect. I've said previously that it would really depend on my own confidence in the justice system. If I feel he'd be met with an appropriate punishment, then I'd go that route. If it's the kind of situation where I don't see any justice being served or possibly served, I would most likely take matters into my own hands. It's hard though because obviously I'd be biased in my punishment since it happened (hypothetically) to my own daughter. I'm very protective over those I care about - but it's different for each person, that's why I posed this question.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2014 5:07:17 PM
At 11/7/2014 7:47:01 AM, YYW wrote:

No.

In many ways, there are aspects of vigilante justice that appeal to people on a visceral level. I think the impetus to seek revenge is especially strong where a person hurts a member of our family. But, civilized society does not extend that right to individuals -and for good reason. Even a criminal has the right to due process, and a victim's remedy is properly in the courts.

Thank you for your well-composed response. It's interesting seeing the range of opinions here but I think it's safe to say that a majority would rather let the justice system handle the criminal. It's also noteworthy that alot of the members who are responding are Americans. We are in a civilized society with a pretty good justice system, but this case occurred in India - a country which I'm not too familiar with in regards to their legal system - and am wondering if perhaps the father felt the legal system there wouldn't be enough. I suppose we'll never know, regardless, thank you for your response!
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2014 5:26:10 PM
At 11/7/2014 8:22:53 AM, Natec wrote:

Would you really do that if given the chance?

Yes.
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2014 6:27:32 PM
At 11/7/2014 5:07:17 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 11/7/2014 7:47:01 AM, YYW wrote:

No.

Thank you for your well-composed response. It's interesting seeing the range of opinions here but I think it's safe to say that a majority would rather let the justice system handle the criminal. It's also noteworthy that alot of the members who are responding are Americans. We are in a civilized society with a pretty good justice system, but this case occurred in India - a country which I'm not too familiar with in regards to their legal system - and am wondering if perhaps the father felt the legal system there wouldn't be enough. I suppose we'll never know, regardless, thank you for your response!

Indian justice is a farce, and I think that it's safe to say that the concept of due process is alien to them. As judicial systems go, India's is tantamount to that of any third world country -and it's just a step above barbarism. That is not, however, to suggest that India is a barbaric country. It is not. There are many good things about India, but criminal justice isn't one of them.
Tsar of DDO
neptune1bond
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 4:47:54 PM
At 11/7/2014 4:55:54 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Thank you for your response which was, as usual, very well composed and covered alot of avenues of thought.

For me, I felt conflicted because while I believe justice was served, it was done too extreme and obviously by a biased party (her father) as you pointed out above. It's hard for me to imagine how I'd handle such a situation because I don't have a daughter of my own yet, but knowing how protective I am over my cats leads me to imagine myself probably reacting the same way. I think you touched on a very important part, that of "rehabilitating" the criminal instead of just tossing him in a cell and thinking that's going to do the trick.

That's the key to my own feelings about it - If I felt the justice system wouldn't be enough, then I'd rely on my own punishment should I ever catch the person like this father did. But if we had a justice system in place that focuses more on 'rehabilitating" the criminal rather than simply punishing him then that would be something I'd feel comfortable pursuing should such a situation ever occur to me or my family. In reality, I would probably still wish to torture him a little, just because of the pain caused to my hypothetical daughter. But if we could find a means to address the root issues which cause such behavior in these people, it'd be a good start and something I'd be open to. I just wouldn't want him to continue doing such things once he is released, that's the most important thing in all of this - actually changing their behavior.

All in all, I appreciate your response greatly, you always know how to look at these types of situations rationally and cover all the bases well. Thank you!
I really appreciate the compliments, thank you. I agree that if someone seriously hurt someone that I love, it would be hard to accept what currently passes as "justice" in most societies. Especially because I know that they will probably just do it again when they get the chance and our society is very efficient at creating criminals. What's saddest of all is that knowledge on how to make things FAR better exists and has existed for quite a while now (and that is true in SO many different fields). Society (and even more so, government) is incredibly inefficient and people become so comfortable with the way that things are that they will not even consider the way that things could be, much less make efforts to bring those things to fruition. This results in the suffering and deaths of countless people.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 5:27:34 PM
At 11/8/2014 5:02:44 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
No

Interesting.
If you met your daughter's rapist, what would you do/say to him?
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 5:30:36 PM
At 11/8/2014 5:27:34 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
No

Interesting.

The only place I'd probably see them is in jail, and probably not even then. I'd probably try to educate/rehabilitate them otherwise.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 5:31:12 PM
At 11/8/2014 5:30:36 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
No

Interesting.

The only place I'd probably see them is in jail, and probably not even then. I'd probably try to educate/rehabilitate them otherwise.

And if they do it again?
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 5:56:02 PM
At 11/8/2014 5:31:12 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
No

Interesting.

And if they do it again?

I don't think they would.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2014 6:00:02 PM
At 11/8/2014 5:56:02 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 11/8/2014 5:31:12 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
No

Interesting.

And if they do it again?

I don't think they would.

And IF they do?
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY