Total Posts:93|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Women = sexually harassed constantly

bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 5:08:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Jesus, this is horrifying.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,225
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 5:33:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/5/2014 5:08:14 PM, bluesteel wrote:




Jesus, this is horrifying.

"Have a good evening" is not harassment.

Secondly, its definitely not 'sexual' harassment by definition as it infers nothing related to sex. Sexual harassment is simply unwanted advances of a sexual nature. 'Hey, call me' is not sexual. 'you look beautiful' is not sexual.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 5:42:51 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/5/2014 5:33:05 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 11/5/2014 5:08:14 PM, bluesteel wrote:




Jesus, this is horrifying.

"Have a good evening" is not harassment.

Secondly, its definitely not 'sexual' harassment by definition as it infers nothing related to sex. Sexual harassment is simply unwanted advances of a sexual nature. 'Hey, call me' is not sexual. 'you look beautiful' is not sexual.

You couldn't be more wrong. These people are not complimenting everyone they see on the street. They're only saying, "hey beautiful" to attractive women who pass. Imagine the effect on your psyche of everyone you pass on the street making clear to you that they are looking at your as a piece of meat. They don't even know you, or whether you have a nice personality. They just see something attractive and want it.

And most of these guys *do not* leave well enough alone when the woman ignores them. They say "hey beautiful" and then call her a bitch or get mad and say "what I'm not attractive enough for you" when she doesn't respond. There's this undercurrent of violence that any one of them will get mad when she doesn't respond and physically intimidate her.

Furthermore, in *both* videos, there's one guy who follows the person for 10-15 minutes. Just straight up walks next to her and won't go away. That would be terrifying if you were a woman. In the Egyptian video, at the end, the guy grabs "her" arm to force her to stop.

Imagine the long-term effect on your psyche of men constantly doing this to you 24/7. I've seen threads on Reddit where some women say they gained weight and stopped dressing nicely so the harassment would stop. It's demeaning and fatiguing to constantly be treated as an object of other people's sexual desire, but even more exhausting when each "hey there hot stuff" is backed by a potential threat of rape or violence. Each guy that approaches her, she has to start looking for escape paths and worry that he is going to cause her physical harm.

At a party, it's normal to go up and talk to random people. But a girl walking quickly down a sidewalk? It's not normal to walk up and try to stop her. Imagine if when you walked ANYWHERE, 20 people who you had no desire to sleep with attempted to stop you and have sex with you. It would get old very fast.

And yeah, if anyone did this stuff in a place of work, it would absolutely be considered sexual harassment.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
ElCorazonAma
Posts: 781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 5:47:16 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/5/2014 5:08:14 PM, bluesteel wrote:




Jesus, this is horrifying.

Yeah... -_- tell me about it...
The verb is real but the adjective is only a hypothetical ideal. ~ Freedo
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,225
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 5:50:47 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/5/2014 5:42:51 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 11/5/2014 5:33:05 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 11/5/2014 5:08:14 PM, bluesteel wrote:




Jesus, this is horrifying.

"Have a good evening" is not harassment.

Secondly, its definitely not 'sexual' harassment by definition as it infers nothing related to sex. Sexual harassment is simply unwanted advances of a sexual nature. 'Hey, call me' is not sexual. 'you look beautiful' is not sexual.

You couldn't be more wrong. These people are not complimenting everyone they see on the street.

So?

They're only saying, "hey beautiful" to attractive women who pass.

and again, so?

Imagine the effect on your psyche of everyone you pass on the street making clear to you that they are looking at your as a piece of meat.

By wishing you a good evening, or calling you beautiful?

They don't even know you, or whether you have a nice personality. They just see something attractive and want it.

Projection.


And most of these guys *do not* leave well enough alone when the woman ignores them. They say "hey beautiful" and then call her a bitch or get mad and say "what I'm not attractive enough for you" when she doesn't respond. There's this undercurrent of violence that any one of them will get mad when she doesn't respond and physically intimidate her.

Then the undercurrent is violence, not sexual harassment.

Furthermore, in *both* videos, there's one guy who follows the person for 10-15 minutes. Just straight up walks next to her and won't go away. That would be terrifying if you were a woman. In the Egyptian video, at the end, the guy grabs "her" arm to force her to stop.

So one dude being a jackhole is the flavor for all the other guys whom said 'Have a good evening'?

Imagine the long-term effect on your psyche of men constantly doing this to you 24/7. I've seen threads on Reddit where some women say they gained weight and stopped dressing nicely so the harassment would stop. It's demeaning and fatiguing to constantly be treated as an object of other people's sexual desire, but even more exhausting when each "hey there hot stuff" is backed by a potential threat of rape or violence. Each guy that approaches her, she has to start looking for escape paths and worry that he is going to cause her physical harm.

Again, this comes from 'Have a good evening'?

At a party, it's normal to go up and talk to random people. But a girl walking quickly down a sidewalk? It's not normal to walk up and try to stop her. Imagine if when you walked ANYWHERE, 20 people who you had no desire to sleep with attempted to stop you and have sex with you. It would get old very fast.

So being told your beautiful at a party, or call me at a part is okay, but on the street, its not? Selective harassment is selective.

And yeah, if anyone did this stuff in a place of work, it would absolutely be considered sexual harassment.

So when I told my boss she looked sharp, or told her have a good weekend/evening/lunch or whatever, I was infact sexually harassing her. Good thing she didn't know that, I guess. -eyeroll-
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 6:18:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/5/2014 5:50:47 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:


I'm gonna assume you either didn't watch the videos or lack any empathy. It's okay though, pyschopaths can lead normal lives.

So when I told my boss she looked sharp, or told her have a good weekend/evening/lunch or whatever, I was infact sexually harassing her. Good thing she didn't know that, I guess. -eyeroll-

Did you say, "hey beautiful" and stare at her @ss? Did you follow her for 10 minutes staring at her a$$? Did you grab her arm and demand an explanation for why she wouldn't go out with you? All those things happen in the videos. You can't alter the fact pattern and say, "see, this new fact pattern that we weren't actually discussing before isn't sexual harassment, so you're wrong." I think you fail to grasp same basic principles of argumentation.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,225
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 6:23:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/5/2014 6:18:05 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 11/5/2014 5:50:47 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:


I'm gonna assume you either didn't watch the videos or lack any empathy. It's okay though, pyschopaths can lead normal lives.


I watched the first, not the second. Lacking empathy in a situation which rarely deserves it is not a trait of psychopathy. Expecting insult where there isn't is a trait of victim mentality, though.

So when I told my boss she looked sharp, or told her have a good weekend/evening/lunch or whatever, I was infact sexually harassing her. Good thing she didn't know that, I guess. -eyeroll-

Did you say, "hey beautiful" and stare at her @ss? Did you follow her for 10 minutes staring at her a$$? Did you grab her arm and demand an explanation for why she wouldn't go out with you? All those things happen in the videos. You can't alter the fact pattern and say, "see, this new fact pattern that we weren't actually discussing before isn't sexual harassment, so you're wrong." I think you fail to grasp same basic principles of argumentation.

Didn't have to, she sat next to me. Har dee har. Like I previously mentioned, which you are selectively ignoring, NOT EVERYONE DID THAT. A VAST majority of those pictured in the ten hour clip didn't do much more than turn their head to speak. You can't collectively roll all the bad behavior into one example, and expect that to be the norm for the WHOLE video. One guy being a creeper in NY in ten hours? Big shock! But some how that is sexual harassment when some one tells her have a good evening. Sorry, you don't get to be a victim from a delivered compliment.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 6:29:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/5/2014 6:23:07 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 11/5/2014 6:18:05 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 11/5/2014 5:50:47 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:


I'm gonna assume you either didn't watch the videos or lack any empathy. It's okay though, pyschopaths can lead normal lives.


I watched the first, not the second. Lacking empathy in a situation which rarely deserves it is not a trait of psychopathy. Expecting insult where there isn't is a trait of victim mentality, though.

So when I told my boss she looked sharp, or told her have a good weekend/evening/lunch or whatever, I was infact sexually harassing her. Good thing she didn't know that, I guess. -eyeroll-

Did you say, "hey beautiful" and stare at her @ss? Did you follow her for 10 minutes staring at her a$$? Did you grab her arm and demand an explanation for why she wouldn't go out with you? All those things happen in the videos. You can't alter the fact pattern and say, "see, this new fact pattern that we weren't actually discussing before isn't sexual harassment, so you're wrong." I think you fail to grasp same basic principles of argumentation.

Didn't have to, she sat next to me. Har dee har. Like I previously mentioned, which you are selectively ignoring, NOT EVERYONE DID THAT. A VAST majority of those pictured in the ten hour clip didn't do much more than turn their head to speak. You can't collectively roll all the bad behavior into one example, and expect that to be the norm for the WHOLE video. One guy being a creeper in NY in ten hours? Big shock! But some how that is sexual harassment when some one tells her have a good evening. Sorry, you don't get to be a victim from a delivered compliment.

I think like one person said, "good evening." The rest were remarks on her physical appearance. If you constantly said, "hey beautiful" to your boss and it made her uncomfortable, you could be disciplined for sexual harassment.

Ignoring the extreme examples is just as bad. You've done a good job beating a straw man to death. I never said, "good evening" sexual sexual harassment.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
YamaVonKarma
Posts: 7,570
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 6:30:16 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/5/2014 5:08:14 PM, bluesteel wrote:




Jesus, this is horrifying.

Not really. When I crossdress, I get compliments all the time. I actually enjoy it.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,225
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 6:34:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/5/2014 6:29:24 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 11/5/2014 6:23:07 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 11/5/2014 6:18:05 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 11/5/2014 5:50:47 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:


I'm gonna assume you either didn't watch the videos or lack any empathy. It's okay though, pyschopaths can lead normal lives.


I watched the first, not the second. Lacking empathy in a situation which rarely deserves it is not a trait of psychopathy. Expecting insult where there isn't is a trait of victim mentality, though.

So when I told my boss she looked sharp, or told her have a good weekend/evening/lunch or whatever, I was infact sexually harassing her. Good thing she didn't know that, I guess. -eyeroll-

Did you say, "hey beautiful" and stare at her @ss? Did you follow her for 10 minutes staring at her a$$? Did you grab her arm and demand an explanation for why she wouldn't go out with you? All those things happen in the videos. You can't alter the fact pattern and say, "see, this new fact pattern that we weren't actually discussing before isn't sexual harassment, so you're wrong." I think you fail to grasp same basic principles of argumentation.

Didn't have to, she sat next to me. Har dee har. Like I previously mentioned, which you are selectively ignoring, NOT EVERYONE DID THAT. A VAST majority of those pictured in the ten hour clip didn't do much more than turn their head to speak. You can't collectively roll all the bad behavior into one example, and expect that to be the norm for the WHOLE video. One guy being a creeper in NY in ten hours? Big shock! But some how that is sexual harassment when some one tells her have a good evening. Sorry, you don't get to be a victim from a delivered compliment.

I think like one person said, "good evening." The rest were remarks on her physical appearance. If you constantly said, "hey beautiful" to your boss and it made her uncomfortable, you could be disciplined for sexual harassment.

Ignoring the extreme examples is just as bad. You've done a good job beating a straw man to death. I never said, "good evening" sexual sexual harassment.

A strawman would be an argument of my invention. It was featured in the video, along with similar remarks that are not based on sexuality in their origin. Ignoring the extreme examples isn't occurring, I am simply calling you out on lumping it all together in manufactured outrage. Ten hours of parading around New York expecting cat calls, and the most extreme cases are a silent follower, and some dude yelling 'Da-yum!'. Peppered in between ranges from 'you look beautiful' to 'have a good evening' to the obvious question of why she wasn't responding. To be honest, it was the silence the made it more socially awkward than anything.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
jimtimmy4
Posts: 321
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 6:54:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Almost all these men harassing are non white. The few that are white look to be working class.

In other words, very few rich white men harassing women.

But, by all means, feminists and liberals, keep talking about how rich white men are the scourge of the earth while the men causing the problems you complain about get a free pass because they're oppressed too.
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,225
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 7:26:25 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/5/2014 6:54:46 PM, jimtimmy4 wrote:
Almost all these men harassing are non white. The few that are white look to be working class.

In other words, very few rich white men harassing women.

But, by all means, feminists and liberals, keep talking about how rich white men are the scourge of the earth while the men causing the problems you complain about get a free pass because they're oppressed too.

Devils advocate, isn't the gallery of those in the video dictated by where the person walked? Without walking through Saks or Wall Street or any other place where rich white men might be in large number, insinuating innocence for a demographic is awfully premature.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
jimtimmy4
Posts: 321
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 7:49:00 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/5/2014 7:26:25 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 11/5/2014 6:54:46 PM, jimtimmy4 wrote:
Almost all these men harassing are non white. The few that are white look to be working class.

In other words, very few rich white men harassing women.

But, by all means, feminists and liberals, keep talking about how rich white men are the scourge of the earth while the men causing the problems you complain about get a free pass because they're oppressed too.


Devils advocate, isn't the gallery of those in the video dictated by where the person walked? Without walking through Saks or Wall Street or any other place where rich white men might be in large number, insinuating innocence for a demographic is awfully premature.

Not Devil's Advocate. I've looked at a lot of "street harassment" videos. Of all, I've found one video of a wealthy looking guy. Even that one didn't involve him harassing her. She just overheard him talking to his friend about her. Almost like she was trying to find a guy like him.

That just proves my point. These videos tend to be made by feminists. You, just as I, know that feminists would much rather make rich white guys look bad than poor blacks. But, the fact is that wall street bankers and lawyers just don't cat call very much.

I don't think anyone can seriously dispute that poor black men cat call and street harass way more than rich white men, on average. I know this contradicts narratives of rich white guys being the scum of the earth. It also contradicts the feminist narrative of street harassment being about "power". After all, if it was about power, it wouldn't be the poorest and least powerful men catcalling.

But, this is just reality.
jimtimmy4
Posts: 321
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 7:51:33 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/5/2014 7:26:25 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 11/5/2014 6:54:46 PM, jimtimmy4 wrote:
Almost all these men harassing are non white. The few that are white look to be working class.

In other words, very few rich white men harassing women.

But, by all means, feminists and liberals, keep talking about how rich white men are the scourge of the earth while the men causing the problems you complain about get a free pass because they're oppressed too.


Devils advocate, isn't the gallery of those in the video dictated by where the person walked? Without walking through Saks or Wall Street or any other place where rich white men might be in large number, insinuating innocence for a demographic is awfully premature.

Not Devil's Advocate. I've looked at a lot of "street harassment" videos. Of all, I've found one video of a wealthy looking guy. Even that one didn't involve him harassing her. She just overheard him talking to his friend about her. Almost like she was trying to find a guy like him.

That just proves my point. These videos tend to be made by feminists. You, just as I, know that feminists would much rather make rich white guys look bad than poor blacks. But, the fact is that wall street bankers and lawyers just don't cat call very much.

I don't think anyone can seriously dispute that poor black men cat call and street harass way more than rich white men, on average. I know this contradicts narratives of rich white guys being the scum of the earth. It also contradicts the feminist narrative of street harassment being about "power". After all, if it was about power, it wouldn't be the poorest and least powerful men catcalling.

But, this is just reality. The maker's of the street harassment video claimed that they edited out the white guys because they didn't harass the right way or something. What that really means is that they could not find rich white guys who did anything more than say hi, but they didn't wanna admit that white guys don't harass as much as non white guys.

Or, maybe there's a conspiracy by rich white men to supress footage of us catcalling. Because, you know, patriarchy.
Natec
Posts: 84
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 8:13:09 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I think like one person said, "good evening." The rest were remarks on her physical appearance. If you constantly said, "hey beautiful" to your boss and it made her uncomfortable, you could be disciplined for sexual harassment.

I mean... More than 5 said "Have a good day" and "God bless you" which is pretty much the same thing as "good evening".
Dude... stop...
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 10:12:48 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
There was someone at work that said "good morning" to me today, but not the person in front of me as we walked by. I better call the cops.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 10:14:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/5/2014 8:13:09 PM, Natec wrote:
I think like one person said, "good evening." The rest were remarks on her physical appearance. If you constantly said, "hey beautiful" to your boss and it made her uncomfortable, you could be disciplined for sexual harassment.

I mean... More than 5 said "Have a good day" and "God bless you" which is pretty much the same thing as "good evening".

Still sexual harassment, I don't know how woman can survive in such circumstances.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 10:18:35 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/5/2014 10:14:12 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/5/2014 8:13:09 PM, Natec wrote:
I think like one person said, "good evening." The rest were remarks on her physical appearance. If you constantly said, "hey beautiful" to your boss and it made her uncomfortable, you could be disciplined for sexual harassment.

I mean... More than 5 said "Have a good day" and "God bless you" which is pretty much the same thing as "good evening".

Still sexual harassment, I don't know how woman can survive in such circumstances.

Well this is disappointing.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
mortsdor
Posts: 1,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 10:28:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/5/2014 10:18:35 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 11/5/2014 10:14:12 PM, Fascismo-re-ele wrote:
Still sexual harassment, I don't know how woman can survive in such circumstances.

Well this is disappointing.

lol
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 10:41:42 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
This was my daily work life in customer service except then it's your job to smile and engage with clients/customers. One of my primary motivations for doing what I do now is the fact that I never ever want to go back to that. Being female in customer service is the absolute worst.

Luckily, I don't experience a lot of street harassment, especially compared to this girl.

What I really wonder is what men get out of this. Do you think by saying "hey beautiful" or "damn!" the girl is going to stop and actually give you her number? Like, hmm I'm walking with purpose right now because I've got somewhere to be, but you really made my day here and let me give some random guy hanging out on the street my number. Yeah, okay.

Street harassment is one of the reasons I don't engage with anyone as I walk down the street. It surprises me when Maikuru says hi to random strangers. I try to make more of an effort now to make eye contact with strangers and smile at them, not for any reason other than understanding the importance of human contact. But yelling out at me as I walk down the street or hitting on me while I'm working is not the kind of human contact I want.
yang.
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 10:58:15 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/5/2014 10:41:42 PM, tulle wrote:
This was my daily work life in customer service except then it's your job to smile and engage with clients/customers. One of my primary motivations for doing what I do now is the fact that I never ever want to go back to that. Being female in customer service is the absolute worst.

Luckily, I don't experience a lot of street harassment, especially compared to this girl.

What I really wonder is what men get out of this. Do you think by saying "hey beautiful" or "damn!" the girl is going to stop and actually give you her number? Like, hmm I'm walking with purpose right now because I've got somewhere to be, but you really made my day here and let me give some random guy hanging out on the street my number. Yeah, okay.

Yeah I think they really do think you'll stop and say, "Omg, that was so nice. Thank you. Wanna go on a date at the closest Starbucks. No, screw that. You were so forward and nice. Let's just go straight back to your place..."

Every guy thinks they're special somehow. "I'm not dating anyone right now." A guy hears, "I'm not dating anyone else, but you can convince me otherwise." It kind of makes sense, in an evolutionary sense: the guys who gave up easily didn't pass on their genes as much.

It's the same as the whole phenomenon that in polls, 86% or more of people rank themselves as "above average" on every trait. There's a certain cognitive dissonance that the normal rules of human interaction don't apply to you. Rationally, everyone knows that women don't just stop and talk to random strangers on the street. But somehow every guy thinks they are the special exception.

Street harassment is one of the reasons I don't engage with anyone as I walk down the street. It surprises me when Maikuru says hi to random strangers. I try to make more of an effort now to make eye contact with strangers and smile at them, not for any reason other than understanding the importance of human contact. But yelling out at me as I walk down the street or hitting on me while I'm working is not the kind of human contact I want.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 10:59:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/5/2014 10:29:41 PM, mortsdor wrote:
well, with bluesteel and ore-ele being women... I can see where they're coming from. :P

Bluesteel isn't actually a woman. He just has that listed on his profile. I've seen him in the chatrooms.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
mortsdor
Posts: 1,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 11:00:48 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/5/2014 10:59:54 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/5/2014 10:29:41 PM, mortsdor wrote:
well, with bluesteel and ore-ele being women... I can see where they're coming from. :P

Bluesteel isn't actually a woman. He just has that listed on his profile. I've seen him in the chatrooms.

pots and kettles you fascist!
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 11:03:03 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/5/2014 10:18:35 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 11/5/2014 10:14:12 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/5/2014 8:13:09 PM, Natec wrote:
I think like one person said, "good evening." The rest were remarks on her physical appearance. If you constantly said, "hey beautiful" to your boss and it made her uncomfortable, you could be disciplined for sexual harassment.

I mean... More than 5 said "Have a good day" and "God bless you" which is pretty much the same thing as "good evening".

Still sexual harassment, I don't know how woman can survive in such circumstances.

Well this is disappointing.

Yeah it is.... I would have thought Ore_Ele would have had the same reaction to the videos I did. I'm perfectly happy to have strangers say, "Hey there, how you doing today," but that's me. As a guy. I've never had someone approach me who was clearly only interested in having sex with me, except a couple times when I was in a gay club. And that got old pretty quickly.

It's not just the words. it's also the tone in the first video. They sound hungry. It's gross.

It's annoying when people pretend like tone and intent don't matter. Words are supposed to convey more than just pure rationality. Eighty-five percent of communication is non-verbal. Serial killers exploit this. They say perfectly innocuous things to lure their victims into isolation, and rely on social conventions, such as people not wanting to say no to a stranger. If you don't read non-verbals and don't trust your instincts about the vibes people are giving off, you're going to have a bad time in our society.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 11:09:15 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/5/2014 11:03:03 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 11/5/2014 10:18:35 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 11/5/2014 10:14:12 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/5/2014 8:13:09 PM, Natec wrote:
I think like one person said, "good evening." The rest were remarks on her physical appearance. If you constantly said, "hey beautiful" to your boss and it made her uncomfortable, you could be disciplined for sexual harassment.

I mean... More than 5 said "Have a good day" and "God bless you" which is pretty much the same thing as "good evening".

Still sexual harassment, I don't know how woman can survive in such circumstances.

Well this is disappointing.

Yeah it is.... I would have thought Ore_Ele would have had the same reaction to the videos I did. I'm perfectly happy to have strangers say, "Hey there, how you doing today," but that's me. As a guy. I've never had someone approach me who was clearly only interested in having sex with me, except a couple times when I was in a gay club. And that got old pretty quickly.

It's not just the words. it's also the tone in the first video. They sound hungry. It's gross.

It's annoying when people pretend like tone and intent don't matter. Words are supposed to convey more than just pure rationality. Eighty-five percent of communication is non-verbal. Serial killers exploit this. They say perfectly innocuous things to lure their victims into isolation, and rely on social conventions, such as people not wanting to say no to a stranger. If you don't read non-verbals and don't trust your instincts about the vibes people are giving off, you're going to have a bad time in our society.

And if you perceive that every man that exhales a word out of his mouth is only interested in sex to were you are assuming his intents and thoughts, you're also gonna have a bad time in our society. This is coming from someone that does say hi and wave to random people the street. If you want to think I am some sexual predator, you're welcome to think whatever you like. Looks like I can't convince you otherwise and I'm not gonna change how I act to please others.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
dylancatlow
Posts: 12,245
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 11:25:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
People...it's not what they said, but the context and manner in which they said it. The implied meaning was basically "wanna fvck"? Clearly it's not appropriate.
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 11:31:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/5/2014 11:09:15 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

And if you perceive that every man that exhales a word out of his mouth is only interested in sex to were you are assuming his intents and thoughts, you're also gonna have a bad time in our society. This is coming from someone that does say hi and wave to random people the street. If you want to think I am some sexual predator, you're welcome to think whatever you like. Looks like I can't convince you otherwise and I'm not gonna change how I act to please others.

Are you saying hi to everyone or just people you want to sleep with?

How would you feel about men hanging around on the street, leering only at children? You wouldn't think it was odd for a man to only acknowledge 4-year-olds, saying "hey pretty girl" because he's just being nice? You'd let a man like that around your daughter?

@bluesteel - I agree with everything you said.
yang.
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 11:33:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/5/2014 11:09:15 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/5/2014 11:03:03 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 11/5/2014 10:18:35 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 11/5/2014 10:14:12 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/5/2014 8:13:09 PM, Natec wrote:
I think like one person said, "good evening." The rest were remarks on her physical appearance. If you constantly said, "hey beautiful" to your boss and it made her uncomfortable, you could be disciplined for sexual harassment.

I mean... More than 5 said "Have a good day" and "God bless you" which is pretty much the same thing as "good evening".

Still sexual harassment, I don't know how woman can survive in such circumstances.

Well this is disappointing.

Yeah it is.... I would have thought Ore_Ele would have had the same reaction to the videos I did. I'm perfectly happy to have strangers say, "Hey there, how you doing today," but that's me. As a guy. I've never had someone approach me who was clearly only interested in having sex with me, except a couple times when I was in a gay club. And that got old pretty quickly.

It's not just the words. it's also the tone in the first video. They sound hungry. It's gross.

It's annoying when people pretend like tone and intent don't matter. Words are supposed to convey more than just pure rationality. Eighty-five percent of communication is non-verbal. Serial killers exploit this. They say perfectly innocuous things to lure their victims into isolation, and rely on social conventions, such as people not wanting to say no to a stranger. If you don't read non-verbals and don't trust your instincts about the vibes people are giving off, you're going to have a bad time in our society.

And if you perceive that every man that exhales a word out of his mouth is only interested in sex to were you are assuming his intents and thoughts, you're also gonna have a bad time in our society. This is coming from someone that does say hi and wave to random people the street. If you want to think I am some sexual predator, you're welcome to think whatever you like. Looks like I can't convince you otherwise and I'm not gonna change how I act to please others.

Why do you assume that this is somehow aimed at you? I doubt if you appeared in the videos I would perceive what you did as a problem. They cut out all the more innocuous interactions for the sake of the videos.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,225
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 11:41:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/5/2014 11:33:44 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 11/5/2014 11:09:15 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/5/2014 11:03:03 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 11/5/2014 10:18:35 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 11/5/2014 10:14:12 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/5/2014 8:13:09 PM, Natec wrote:
I think like one person said, "good evening." The rest were remarks on her physical appearance. If you constantly said, "hey beautiful" to your boss and it made her uncomfortable, you could be disciplined for sexual harassment.

I mean... More than 5 said "Have a good day" and "God bless you" which is pretty much the same thing as "good evening".

Still sexual harassment, I don't know how woman can survive in such circumstances.

Well this is disappointing.

Yeah it is.... I would have thought Ore_Ele would have had the same reaction to the videos I did. I'm perfectly happy to have strangers say, "Hey there, how you doing today," but that's me. As a guy. I've never had someone approach me who was clearly only interested in having sex with me, except a couple times when I was in a gay club. And that got old pretty quickly.

It's not just the words. it's also the tone in the first video. They sound hungry. It's gross.

It's annoying when people pretend like tone and intent don't matter. Words are supposed to convey more than just pure rationality. Eighty-five percent of communication is non-verbal. Serial killers exploit this. They say perfectly innocuous things to lure their victims into isolation, and rely on social conventions, such as people not wanting to say no to a stranger. If you don't read non-verbals and don't trust your instincts about the vibes people are giving off, you're going to have a bad time in our society.

And if you perceive that every man that exhales a word out of his mouth is only interested in sex to were you are assuming his intents and thoughts, you're also gonna have a bad time in our society. This is coming from someone that does say hi and wave to random people the street. If you want to think I am some sexual predator, you're welcome to think whatever you like. Looks like I can't convince you otherwise and I'm not gonna change how I act to please others.

Why do you assume that this is somehow aimed at you? I doubt if you appeared in the videos I would perceive what you did as a problem. They cut out all the more innocuous interactions for the sake of the videos.

We know, it makes the manufacturing of the outrage more efficient. Other wise you might have 'your typical day of walking in New York' as opposed to something that is 'horrifying'.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...