Total Posts:27|Showing Posts:1-27
Jump to topic:

Tragedy of Homophobia

TheINFJNala
Posts: 47
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2014 1:10:10 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I am the girl kicked out of her home because I confided in my mother that I am a lesbian.
I am the prostitute working the streets because nobody will hire a transsexual woman.
I am the sister who holds her gay brother tight through the painful, tear-filled nights.
We are the parents who buried our daughter long before her time.
I am the man who died alone in the hospital because they would not let my partner of twenty-seven years into the room.
I am the foster child who wakes up with nightmares of being taken away from the two fathers who are the only loving family I have ever had. I wish they could adopt me.
I am one of the lucky ones, I guess. I survived the attack that left me in a coma for three weeks, and in another year I will probably be able to walk again.
I am not one of the lucky ones. I killed myself just weeks before graduating high school. It was simply too much to bear.
We are the couple who had the realtor hang up on us when she found out we wanted to rent a one-bedroom for two men.
I am the person who never knows which bathroom I should use if I want to avoid getting the management called on me.
I am the mother who is not allowed to even visit the children I bore, nursed, and raised. The court says I am an unfit mother because I now live with another woman.
I am the domestic-violence survivor who found the support system grow suddenly cold and distant when they found out my abusive partner is also a woman.
I am the father who has never hugged his son because I grew up afraid to show affection to other men.
I am the home-economics teacher who always wanted to teach gym until someone told me that only lesbians do that.
I am the man who died when the paramedics stopped treating me as soon as they realized I was transsexual.
I am the person who feels guilty because I think I could be a much better person if I did not have to always deal with society hating me.
I am the man who stopped attending church, not because I don't believe, but because they closed their doors to my kind.
I am the person who has to hide what this world needs most, love.
I am the person who is afraid of telling his loving Christian parents he loves another male.

If you want to stand and fight against homophobia, than re-post this!
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2014 1:24:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Why is homophobia any worse than any other hate, bias, or rage-filled viewpoint?
Are you suggesting that others aren't entitled to their opinions?

Violence against others is wrong no matter the reason...
My work here is, finally, done.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2014 1:49:10 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
If I make one of these really long ultra appeal to emotions for woman being abused my men, would that be cool? What about white guys being attacked by blacks? Would that be cool?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2014 1:53:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/18/2014 1:49:10 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
If I make one of these really long ultra appeal to emotions for woman being abused my men, would that be cool? What about white guys being attacked by blacks? Would that be cool?

Dood, whites don't get attacked by blacks. Just doesn't happen. That is definitely not cool in fact... you're a racist.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2014 2:17:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/18/2014 1:53:59 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 11/18/2014 1:49:10 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
If I make one of these really long ultra appeal to emotions for woman being abused my men, would that be cool? What about white guys being attacked by blacks? Would that be cool?

Dood, whites don't get attacked by blacks. Just doesn't happen. That is definitely not cool in fact... you're a racist.

I can't be a racist, I'm half black!
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2014 2:20:28 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/18/2014 2:17:44 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/18/2014 1:53:59 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 11/18/2014 1:49:10 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
If I make one of these really long ultra appeal to emotions for woman being abused my men, would that be cool? What about white guys being attacked by blacks? Would that be cool?

Dood, whites don't get attacked by blacks. Just doesn't happen. That is definitely not cool in fact... you're a racist.

I can't be a racist, I'm half black!

Well I can't be racist because I have black friends.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/18/2014 10:47:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/18/2014 1:24:46 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Why is homophobia any worse than any other hate, bias, or rage-filled viewpoint?

Who said it was?

Are you suggesting that others aren't entitled to their opinions?

Not sure if the OP is saying it but I would.

Violence against others is wrong no matter the reason...

Ignoring the specific reasons inhering in violence against specific classes of people does nothing productive.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 11:35:19 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/18/2014 10:47:23 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 11/18/2014 1:24:46 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Why is homophobia any worse than any other hate, bias, or rage-filled viewpoint?

Who said it was?
Obvious implication is obvious.

Are you suggesting that others aren't entitled to their opinions?

Not sure if the OP is saying it but I would.
So, you can judge and treat others based on one aspect of their personality (a viewpoint), but they cannot? That's sounds fair.

Violence against others is wrong no matter the reason...

Ignoring the specific reasons inhering in violence against specific classes of people does nothing productive.
I think you mean assuming the reason for the violence is because of that and not a host of other possible factors.
In fact, a good deal of the OP doesn't deal with violence, or even the actor's views of homosexuals.

Hugging your son is gay? Why not, showing emotions is not what men do? Two very different viewpoints that have the same result, and, frankly that latter is more likely.

Is kicking your daughter out of the house any less tragic because she is a lesbian over has an abusive boyfriend, has a drug addiction, or has bad friends, or even being an atheist or communist?

And, I don't consider gays as a "class" of people, as they are more just more than a sexuality, and sexuality is not known at a glance, unlike race, and is also unlikely genetic, unlike race.
My work here is, finally, done.
Beginner
Posts: 4,292
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 12:37:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/18/2014 2:20:28 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 11/18/2014 2:17:44 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
I can't be a racist, I'm half black!

Well I can't be racist because I have black friends.

Sigged. :)
Senpai has noticed you.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 8:59:13 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/19/2014 11:35:19 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 11/18/2014 10:47:23 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 11/18/2014 1:24:46 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Why is homophobia any worse than any other hate, bias, or rage-filled viewpoint?

Who said it was?
Obvious implication is obvious.

Are you suggesting that others aren't entitled to their opinions?

Not sure if the OP is saying it but I would.
So, you can judge and treat others based on one aspect of their personality (a viewpoint), but they cannot? That's sounds fair.

One is being gay. The other is hating gay people. Do those two things seem the same to you?

Violence against others is wrong no matter the reason...

Ignoring the specific reasons inhering in violence against specific classes of people does nothing productive.
I think you mean assuming the reason for the violence is because of that and not a host of other possible factors.
In fact, a good deal of the OP doesn't deal with violence, or even the actor's views of homosexuals.

You brought up violence. Also, justifying violence by reference to possible outside forces? Yer so vague lmao.

Hugging your son is gay? Why not, showing emotions is not what men do? Two very different viewpoints that have the same result, and, frankly that latter is more likely.

No idea what the above is supposed to mean.

Is kicking your daughter out of the house any less tragic because she is a lesbian over has an abusive boyfriend, has a drug addiction, or has bad friends, or even being an atheist or communist?

Um yes? Like obviously. Maybe not as bad as the latter two but it's definitely more common to be kicked out for being a lesbian.

And, I don't consider gays as a "class" of people, as they are more just more than a sexuality, and sexuality is not known at a glance, unlike race, and is also unlikely genetic, unlike race.

I'm not much for essentialism. But I'm not dumb enough to ignore the way people *are* treated and viewed by society at large. Like Foucault said (I'm paraphrasing), universals are not things that exist but they attain significance in the way they act on and shape the world in spite of their non-existence. Or something along those lines. Also, not sure why yer comparing it to race? You seem to have trouble understanding what yer trying to say here.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 9:54:02 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/19/2014 12:37:23 PM, Beginner wrote:
At 11/18/2014 2:20:28 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 11/18/2014 2:17:44 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
I can't be a racist, I'm half black!

Well I can't be racist because I have black friends.

Sigged. :)

Have you not heard that before? lol its a pretty common joke.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 10:06:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/19/2014 9:54:02 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 11/19/2014 12:37:23 PM, Beginner wrote:
At 11/18/2014 2:20:28 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 11/18/2014 2:17:44 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
I can't be a racist, I'm half black!

Well I can't be racist because I have black friends.

Sigged. :)

Have you not heard that before? lol its a pretty common joke.

Yeah, but I actually AM half black. My mother was a Black.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Beginner
Posts: 4,292
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 10:22:48 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/19/2014 10:06:18 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/19/2014 9:54:02 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 11/19/2014 12:37:23 PM, Beginner wrote:
At 11/18/2014 2:20:28 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 11/18/2014 2:17:44 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
I can't be a racist, I'm half black!

Well I can't be racist because I have black friends.

Sigged. :)

Have you not heard that before? lol its a pretty common joke.

I have, but it's still worth sigging (It can make for good libel too). X)
Senpai has noticed you.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 10:30:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/19/2014 10:22:48 PM, Beginner wrote:
At 11/19/2014 10:06:18 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/19/2014 9:54:02 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 11/19/2014 12:37:23 PM, Beginner wrote:
At 11/18/2014 2:20:28 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 11/18/2014 2:17:44 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
I can't be a racist, I'm half black!

Well I can't be racist because I have black friends.

Sigged. :)

Have you not heard that before? lol its a pretty common joke.

I have, but it's still worth sigging (It can make for good libel too). X)

It's also great to use in cases where it makes absolutely no sense.

"Dude, the only reason the Russians won WW2 is because of their shear numbers. The quality of the equipment and training of the Germans was far superior on a one to one basis. Look at sources A, B, C, and D right here. Your reasoning makes no sense at all!"

"It makes plenty of sense because some of my best friends are black."

"...umm, what?"

"You got nothing against that, do ya?"
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 10:40:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/19/2014 10:06:18 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/19/2014 9:54:02 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 11/19/2014 12:37:23 PM, Beginner wrote:
At 11/18/2014 2:20:28 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 11/18/2014 2:17:44 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
I can't be a racist, I'm half black!

Well I can't be racist because I have black friends.

Sigged. :)

Have you not heard that before? lol its a pretty common joke.

Yeah, but I actually AM half black. My mother was a Black.

Oh. I had no idea you were actually half black. You don't look half black... from what I remember of our video chats from long ago.
Beginner
Posts: 4,292
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 11:44:28 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I am the boy who was disowned when I admitted to my fathers that I was homophobic.
I am the whore who is given unfair wages because I cannot stand to take part in homosexual prostitution
I am the brother whose sister won't even talk to me; my family shuns me: I am alone.
I am the father whose son treats me like dirt.
I am the man who died alone in the hospital because my wife of twenty seven years abandoned me last year: she turned out to be lesbian.
I am the foster child who wakes up sick to the stomach. I don't dare confide in either mother.
I am one of the lucky ones. My wife is straight (I think).
I am not one of the lucky ones. I killed myself a couple months into college. Everyone treats me like dirt; I was so alone.
We are the couple that is never invited to any of the parties when people found out we were completely orthodox.
I am the person who can't always choose the bathroom with the shortest line (seriously, if you have the option, take the male restroom).
I am the mother who isn't even welcome to visit the children I bore, nursed and raised. They despise me because I feel sick around them; I still love them.
I am the son whose father never hugged me once. We get along fine.
I am the man who stopped attending church because the people within this particular church strongly disagrees with my views (they kicked me out).
I am the man who died when the paramedics didn't even bother to try treating me because I looked like I wouldn't be able to pay anyone anything.
I am the woman who wanted to play football until they told me it was a man's sport. I also happen to like women.
I am the person who feels guilty because I think I would be a much better person if I did not have to always deal with society hating me for being homophobic.
I am the person who is afraid of telling his loving gay parents that he feels sick around them.
I am the domestic-violence survivor who found the support system grow suddenly cold and distant when they found out my abusive partner is a woman. Would they be more receptive if my partner was a man instead?

I am the person who works 16-18hrs a day for practically nothing. Give me fair wages. Maybe then we can worry about other things.
Senpai has noticed you.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2014 11:47:17 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/19/2014 10:40:45 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 11/19/2014 10:06:18 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/19/2014 9:54:02 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 11/19/2014 12:37:23 PM, Beginner wrote:
At 11/18/2014 2:20:28 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 11/18/2014 2:17:44 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
I can't be a racist, I'm half black!

Well I can't be racist because I have black friends.

Sigged. :)

Have you not heard that before? lol its a pretty common joke.

Yeah, but I actually AM half black. My mother was a Black.

Oh. I had no idea you were actually half black. You don't look half black... from what I remember of our video chats from long ago.

My mother's maiden name is Black, OH YEAH!!! HIGH FIVE!!!

http://www.explosion.com...
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2014 1:28:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/19/2014 11:47:17 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/19/2014 10:40:45 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 11/19/2014 10:06:18 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/19/2014 9:54:02 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 11/19/2014 12:37:23 PM, Beginner wrote:
At 11/18/2014 2:20:28 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 11/18/2014 2:17:44 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
I can't be a racist, I'm half black!

Well I can't be racist because I have black friends.

Sigged. :)

Have you not heard that before? lol its a pretty common joke.

Yeah, but I actually AM half black. My mother was a Black.

Oh. I had no idea you were actually half black. You don't look half black... from what I remember of our video chats from long ago.

My mother's maiden name is Black, OH YEAH!!! HIGH FIVE!!!

http://www.explosion.com...

ZING! Nice one. lolololol.
Very nice.
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2014 2:52:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/18/2014 1:10:10 PM, TheINFJNala wrote:
I am the girl kicked out of her home because I confided in my mother that I am a lesbian.
I am the prostitute working the streets because nobody will hire a transsexual woman.
I am the sister who holds her gay brother tight through the painful, tear-filled nights.
We are the parents who buried our daughter long before her time.
I am the man who died alone in the hospital because they would not let my partner of twenty-seven years into the room.
I am the foster child who wakes up with nightmares of being taken away from the two fathers who are the only loving family I have ever had. I wish they could adopt me.
I am one of the lucky ones, I guess. I survived the attack that left me in a coma for three weeks, and in another year I will probably be able to walk again.
I am not one of the lucky ones. I killed myself just weeks before graduating high school. It was simply too much to bear.
We are the couple who had the realtor hang up on us when she found out we wanted to rent a one-bedroom for two men.
I am the person who never knows which bathroom I should use if I want to avoid getting the management called on me.
I am the mother who is not allowed to even visit the children I bore, nursed, and raised. The court says I am an unfit mother because I now live with another woman.
I am the domestic-violence survivor who found the support system grow suddenly cold and distant when they found out my abusive partner is also a woman.
I am the father who has never hugged his son because I grew up afraid to show affection to other men.
I am the home-economics teacher who always wanted to teach gym until someone told me that only lesbians do that.
I am the man who died when the paramedics stopped treating me as soon as they realized I was transsexual.
I am the person who feels guilty because I think I could be a much better person if I did not have to always deal with society hating me.
I am the man who stopped attending church, not because I don't believe, but because they closed their doors to my kind.
I am the person who has to hide what this world needs most, love.
I am the person who is afraid of telling his loving Christian parents he loves another male.

If you want to stand and fight against homophobia, than re-post this!

Being a Pedophobe is even worse check out my thread!
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
paininthenuts
Posts: 161
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2014 1:27:45 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Allow me to put a different slant on this topic. I am British, but am aware that the U.S claims to be the land of the free, and presume freedom of speech and opinion is included in this.

Since when has one person had the right to stop another person from having an opinion. It is the right of any one individual to dislike or like the act of another. I for one am not comfortable with the acts of homosexuals, albeit I accept them as part of a modern society. This is my opinion, but to be branded "phobic" is surely outside the constitution of a so called open society. I happen to love dogs, but if you don't, does that mean I can deride you because of your preferences.

To physically attack a gay person or shout obscenities at one is wrong, but to voice an opinion regarding their actions is the right of any person.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2014 1:31:33 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/21/2014 1:27:45 PM, paininthenuts wrote:
Allow me to put a different slant on this topic. I am British, but am aware that the U.S claims to be the land of the free, and presume freedom of speech and opinion is included in this.

Since when has one person had the right to stop another person from having an opinion. It is the right of any one individual to dislike or like the act of another. I for one am not comfortable with the acts of homosexuals, albeit I accept them as part of a modern society. This is my opinion, but to be branded "phobic" is surely outside the constitution of a so called open society. I happen to love dogs, but if you don't, does that mean I can deride you because of your preferences.

To physically attack a gay person or shout obscenities at one is wrong, but to voice an opinion regarding their actions is the right of any person.

It is the right of the person to opine, yes.
However, it is also the rights of others to opine on your opinion.
The Constitution only applies to what the government does to its citizens, not how citizens relate to each other.
My work here is, finally, done.
paininthenuts
Posts: 161
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2014 3:20:51 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/21/2014 1:31:33 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 11/21/2014 1:27:45 PM, paininthenuts wrote:
Allow me to put a different slant on this topic. I am British, but am aware that the U.S claims to be the land of the free, and presume freedom of speech and opinion is included in this.

Since when has one person had the right to stop another person from having an opinion. It is the right of any one individual to dislike or like the act of another. I for one am not comfortable with the acts of homosexuals, albeit I accept them as part of a modern society. This is my opinion, but to be branded "phobic" is surely outside the constitution of a so called open society. I happen to love dogs, but if you don't, does that mean I can deride you because of your preferences.

To physically attack a gay person or shout obscenities at one is wrong, but to voice an opinion regarding their actions is the right of any person.

It is the right of the person to opine, yes.
However, it is also the rights of others to opine on your opinion.
The Constitution only applies to what the government does to its citizens, not how citizens relate to each other.

==================

Yes it is the others right to opine an others opinion, but not to name call.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2014 3:33:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/21/2014 3:20:51 PM, paininthenuts wrote:

Yes it is the others right to opine an others opinion, but not to name call.
It is still their right.
Free Speech, which is protected FROM the government, is pretty liberal in what can be said, as it should be.
Unless it causes direct harm, and hurt feelings don't count, it is not illegal.

I can walk around a park shouting that "God hates f*gs", and everyone can ignore me and/or be flustered by me, and people can yell back and call me names, but I cannot be arrested for it. That is what free speech means under the US Constitution.
My work here is, finally, done.
18Karl
Posts: 351
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2014 11:43:01 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
The Tragedy of Homophobia-Phobia:

I am the man who got kicked in the nuts after people realized that I was a homophobe
I am the person who got raped by two homosexuals after they realized that I was a homophobe
I am the kid who was beaten up by my two fathers after calling them "f*gg*ts"
I am the senior who broke his back running away from some homosexuals

Share this if you are against homophobia-phobia!
praise the lord Chin Chin
FaustianJustice
Posts: 6,238
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2014 2:12:54 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 11/22/2014 11:43:01 PM, 18Karl wrote:
The Tragedy of Homophobia-Phobia:

I am the man who got kicked in the nuts after people realized that I was a homophobe
I am the person who got raped by two homosexuals after they realized that I was a homophobe
I am the kid who was beaten up by my two fathers after calling them "f*gg*ts"
I am the senior who broke his back running away from some homosexuals

Share this if you are against homophobia-phobia!

Has any of that, actually, like, ever happened though? I mean, rape was committed on a young lady here in my town not to long ago to try and 'turn her straight' and 'show her whats shes missing', but I haven't ever heard of the situations you mention. Is this like a Romeo Juliet tragedy angst-y drama sort of thing, or a tragedy of the commons that isn't so common?
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...