Jump to topic:

Legal Question

Ijuststartedthinking
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 3:16:17 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Scenario: A large corporation has proposed a large energy project that requires regulatory approval. An opposition group publishes misinformation and persuades the public to join the opposition based on this false information.

If the opposition is successful in delaying or thwarting the project based on their ill intent and use of the misinformation, can the employees of the corporation launch a class action law suit if damage was done to their careers.....i.e.....layoffs or loss of work due to the cancellation of he project?

just wondering....
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 2:39:23 PM
At 11/28/2014 3:16:17 AM, Ijuststartedthinking wrote:
Scenario: A large corporation has proposed a large energy project that requires regulatory approval. An opposition group publishes misinformation and persuades the public to join the opposition based on this false information.

If the opposition is successful in delaying or thwarting the project based on their ill intent and use of the misinformation, can the employees of the corporation launch a class action law suit if damage was done to their careers.....i.e.....layoffs or loss of work due to the cancellation of he project?

just wondering....

The user here known as Bluesteel would probably know since he's a law student.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2014 2:49:02 PM

just wondering....

I would say if:
1. Public opinion was swayed using FALSE information, not misleading, but false. Further, this false information was used for form opinion, and not any other "true" information.
2. The regulatory approval was denied because of public opinion. In other words, public opinion could be proven to be such a factor in the decision.
3. The damages were based solely on the loss of approval. (which, I don't see why people are laid off for a job they do not have)

If all three are met and can be proven, I would say yes.
However, it is highly unlikely it can be proven, let alone is true.
My work here is, finally, done.
Ijuststartedthinking
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2014 4:44:37 PM
At 11/28/2014 2:49:02 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

just wondering....

I would say if:
1. Public opinion was swayed using FALSE information, not misleading, but false. Further, this false information was used for form opinion, and not any other "true" information.
2. The regulatory approval was denied because of public opinion. In other words, public opinion could be proven to be such a factor in the decision.
3. The damages were based solely on the loss of approval. (which, I don't see why people are laid off for a job they do not have)

If all three are met and can be proven, I would say yes.
However, it is highly unlikely it can be proven, let alone is true.

Thanks for the information!
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2014 9:55:10 PM

just wondering....

I assume it might be some kind of tortious interference...but I don't know of any case that that's happened (which doesn't mean it hasn't, just that I'm not aware of it). TBH, I suspect there probably is little to no caselaw that supports it, given that we're talking about public interaction with a government body--the courts generally prefer to leave that as open as possible.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!