Jump to topic:

"Don't Impose Your Beliefs on Me?"

xXCryptoXx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 8:22:28 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Is anyone else tired of this phrase? Does anyone abide by this phrase? It seems to imply some sort of form of extreme individualism, although I don't believe that is what most people who use this phrase advocate.

My problem is that it is usually a phrase that is used in response to someone stating a certain action as unethical. The problem here is that instead of considering the morality of a give action, the person simply responds that that is not what they believe, therefore they have no obligation to do or not do said action.

The phrase doesn't even hold up when considering societal social law. Murder is outlawed, but you don't see people (except for radical individualists as mentioned already) stating that beliefs shouldn't be imposed on them. They only seems to use this phrase whenever they are too lazy to actually consider a different view point.
Nolite Timere
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2014 10:25:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/3/2014 8:22:28 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
Is anyone else tired of this phrase? Does anyone abide by this phrase? It seems to imply some sort of form of extreme individualism, although I don't believe that is what most people who use this phrase advocate.

My problem is that it is usually a phrase that is used in response to someone stating a certain action as unethical. The problem here is that instead of considering the morality of a give action, the person simply responds that that is not what they believe, therefore they have no obligation to do or not do said action.

The phrase doesn't even hold up when considering societal social law. Murder is outlawed, but you don't see people (except for radical individualists as mentioned already) stating that beliefs shouldn't be imposed on them. They only seems to use this phrase whenever they are too lazy to actually consider a different view point.
Unfortunately, it may depend on the context. In your example of murder, most people probably agree it is wrong. Yet they disagree on the context. Define "murder".