Jump to topic:

"White Washed" and Segregation

GenBurnside
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 1:44:58 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At a local liberal arts university, I have begun to hear the words "white washed" being coined by a select few within the minorities on the campus. I do not attend the campus and therefore do not fully understand why this has become a popular phrase. Would someone please explain to me what it means?

From what I understand, these few have been proclaiming a segregation of races at this prestigious university (and by prestigious, I mean it costs roughly 50K a year). After further inquiry, students have told me that these handful of people are excluded from many gatherings and "parties" that happen on campus (entirely college-unaffiliated events). I further probed as to why they were treated this way, so I struck up a conversation at a multicultural event (which there were people from ALL races at this event). What I came to find out is these individuals have a confrontational personality when approached by a "white" individual, keep in mind the conversation was strictly small talk. Not only was the individual confrontational with me, I noted there were many subtle actions and words the person did/said that led me to believe a sort of hostility toward others. The specific individual that I had contacted with was the supposed "leader" of these anti-segregation movements, whom's ethnicity was of Latin-American descent.
From my personal findings I feel the individuals at this specific university have personality traits that do not fit in with the vast majority of others. I have concluded that they assume incompatibility as racism and segregation.

A further note: I have been informed that other minority individuals that associate themselves with Caucasian students are besmeared by these anti-segregation groups. The words "White Washed" are frequently used in these situations.

I can understand these people being annoyed at the suburbia "privileged white kid", but I don't understand why that could possibly be taken as far as to say they are Segregated from them.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 9:21:31 AM
Is this Cornell?
I have heard they have segregated dorms still (or, at least, in the past five years).

I think white wash means for a minority to act white as a means to fit in.
I think the term is used as a way to basically call someone a traitor to their race, by acting "white". Like someone painted themselves white to fit in and have turned their back on being their own race.
My work here is, finally, done.
GenBurnside
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 12:37:38 PM
It is not Cornell, and wow thats crazy that a school that prestigious would have that still. This university has by no means a segregated student body (except by personal choice). What exactly is "acting white" nowadays? Young white men listen to rap and act like they are from the "hood". Though I do understand that their demeanor is very different from the african american community, but it seems to me that we are all trying to meet somewhat in the middle, and some don't want to compromise with others. I just don't get it. They BEG to fit in with others and then turn around and segregate themselves.
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 2:43:57 PM
Without more context surrounding the phrase, I cannot say. I do recall a student back in my college days who said that eliminating affirmative action programs would effectively "white-wash" college campuses. That could be a totally different application of the phrase, though...
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
fazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 3:37:26 PM
At 12/6/2014 12:37:38 PM, GenBurnside wrote:
It is not Cornell, and wow thats crazy that a school that prestigious would have that still. This university has by no means a segregated student body (except by personal choice). What exactly is "acting white" nowadays? Young white men listen to rap and act like they are from the "hood". Though I do understand that their demeanor is very different from the african american community, but it seems to me that we are all trying to meet somewhat in the middle, and some don't want to compromise with others. I just don't get it. They BEG to fit in with others and then turn around and segregate themselves.

Well, what area is this in. Like East Coast or West Coast?
GenBurnside
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2014 8:03:45 PM
At 12/6/2014 3:37:26 PM, fazz wrote:

Well, what area is this in. Like East Coast or West Coast?

Neither. It is the Midwest. Most students are from large cities across the country (NY, Chicago, indianapolis, Dallas, with the occasional in state local)