Jump to topic:

New Supreme Court Decision?

studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2010 8:05:49 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I have heard that there has been a new Supreme Court Decision: alleged sexual offenders who have served their time in prison may be legally held in jail for the rest of their lives? Am I understanding the general basis of the decision? I'd really like to know the Court's rationale. These offenders have done their time and measured up to the crime. How the hell can some ruling like this exist in a land that is supposed to be filled with liberty?

Idky, but lately, I've been defending sex offenders frequently in regards to discussions with my peers.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2010 8:09:11 PM
At 5/17/2010 8:05:49 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
I have heard that there has been a new Supreme Court Decision: alleged sexual offenders who have served their time in prison may be legally held in jail for the rest of their lives? Am I understanding the general basis of the decision? I'd really like to know the Court's rationale. These offenders have done their time and measured up to the crime. How the hell can some ruling like this exist in a land that is supposed to be filled with liberty?

Idky, but lately, I've been defending sex offenders frequently in regards to discussions with my peers.

They're sex offenders. Keep them locked up.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2010 8:11:20 PM
At 5/17/2010 8:09:11 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 5/17/2010 8:05:49 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

Hell no. What is wrong with the general populace's perception of these people? They have done their time for the crime. Get over it. Honestly, I don't even think it should be an obligation for the cities to tell neighbors of accused offenders that they served jail time for sexual offenses. It just leads to people being creeped out by someone who may have been unfairly sentenced and who could have learned his lesson and contribute to the youth of America to compensate.
Hurstman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2010 8:12:15 PM
Purple Jell-O
Cody_Franklin- "You aren't the sharpest bulb in the box, are you?"

Strikeeagle84015- "Why would you want a sharp bulb?"

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people" --Eleanor Roosevelt
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2010 8:24:21 PM
Every last one of those Supreme Court motherf*ckers thinks they're f*cking saints.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2010 8:26:42 PM
At 5/17/2010 8:24:21 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:
Every last one of those Supreme Court motherf*ckers thinks they're f*cking saints.

That's exactly how I feel. Why is there such animosity towards alleged sexual offenders? Is that just the cultural norm right now?
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2010 8:29:29 PM
I hear ya. You can get on the sex offender registry for taking a whiz in public. That's a bit unjust.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2010 8:30:58 PM
At 5/17/2010 8:29:29 PM, Korashk wrote:
I hear ya. You can get on the sex offender registry for taking a whiz in public. That's a bit unjust.

More like BLATANTLY unjust. I swear, if I'm an activist for anything when I'm older, I'll highly consider joining the group that defends alleged sex offenders.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2010 8:34:22 PM
I haven't heard of this, but I swear I saw it in the script of a Law and Order episode once.

It's foolish, of course. It gives the state the power to pretty much detain someone indefinitely, even if they serve out their time. That's far from constitutional, and I expect such a decision to be appealed and maybe reversed. It doesn't make any sense.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2010 8:34:58 PM
At 5/17/2010 8:09:11 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

I hope you're joking. You can become a registered sex offender for streaking through highschool your senior year or peeing in the woods.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2010 8:36:41 PM
At 5/17/2010 8:34:58 PM, wjmelements wrote:
I hope you're joking. You can become a registered sex offender for streaking through highschool your senior year or peeing in the woods.

Oh dear...
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2010 8:41:26 PM
At 5/17/2010 8:34:22 PM, Volkov wrote:
I haven't heard of this, but I swear I saw it in the script of a Law and Order episode once.

It's foolish, of course. It gives the state the power to pretty much detain someone indefinitely, even if they serve out their time. That's far from constitutional, and I expect such a decision to be appealed and maybe reversed. It doesn't make any sense.

Omg. I believe it was on Law and Order: SVU. I love that show. I couldn't believe it actually became reality! Do we have incompetent morons on the Bench?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2010 8:44:20 PM
At 5/17/2010 8:41:26 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
Omg. I believe it was on Law and Order: SVU. I love that show. I couldn't believe it actually became reality! Do we have incompetent morons on the Bench?

Well, if it was a 5-4 vote, I guarantee I know which five it was...
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2010 8:44:21 PM

Once you consider the people that get to put them there.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2010 8:46:10 PM
At 5/17/2010 8:44:21 PM, wjmelements wrote:

Once you consider the people that get to put them there.

Exactly. The current state of the US PISSES ME OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2010 8:48:32 PM
At 5/17/2010 8:44:20 PM, Volkov wrote:

Well, if it was a 5-4 vote, I guarantee I know which five it was...

Think again then, buddy boy.

7-2

http://www.nytimes.com...
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2010 8:49:17 PM
At 5/17/2010 8:48:32 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:
Think again then, buddy boy.

7-2

http://www.nytimes.com...

I wonder who the two were - I'd like to shake their hands.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2010 8:50:09 PM
Omg, 7-2? What kind of ignorant people do we have dictating our beloved rights and liberties? PISSING ME OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2010 8:50:21 PM
At 5/17/2010 8:47:07 PM, Volkov wrote:
Now, I don't know the nuances of the Supreme Court, but this can be appealed, right?

Thomas and Scalia were the dissenters :p
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2010 8:52:28 PM
At 5/17/2010 8:47:07 PM, Volkov wrote:
Now, I don't know the nuances of the Supreme Court, but this can be appealed, right?

Only once harm is shown.

In other words, some citizen has to get screwed over by this ruling first, and then he can sue the USFG... if he has a good enough lawyer, and if a judge decides to hear it. But it'll only get the the SC again if there's like rioting or something really big, like with the segregation stuff. The SC gets thousands of requests a year, and it does maybe a hundred. Only if 4 justices want to hear it does a case get a definite spot in the SC's hearings.

Which ain't gonna happen with the 7-2.

In other words, no.

Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2010 8:55:41 PM
I would imagine that if someone was batshit nuts and insisted they were going to start killing people the instant they hit the street it could be justified, but it is a dangerous precedent indeed.
Master P is the end result of capitalism.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2010 8:55:51 PM
This is really angering me. Why are people so dumb? Like the Arizona Immigration Bill, this ruling makes no sense. What the HELL. I hate always feeling powerless to make a change. I'll use college as a platform.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2010 8:58:50 PM
At 5/17/2010 8:53:21 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 5/17/2010 8:50:21 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:

Good on both of them.

I never thought I'd see the day you uttered those words :D
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2010 8:59:22 PM
At 5/17/2010 8:58:50 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
At 5/17/2010 8:53:21 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 5/17/2010 8:50:21 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:

Good on both of them.

I'd like to go up to them and kiss their feet .....
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2010 9:01:56 PM
At 5/17/2010 8:58:50 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:

Hey, I commend good decisions, whether it's by ideological liberals or conservatives. Thomas and Scalia made a good decision here, and they deserve respect for it.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2010 9:08:57 PM
what do they mean by "civil commitment"?

sending someone to a mental hospital for sexual deviance?
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...