Jump to topic:

Court Debate

Rubikx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2014 11:48:30 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I wasn't sure where to put this so i'm putting it in politics and in society.

I was thinking it would be cool to have a court case debate. Where there's a person being accused of a crime, the person accusing them. Lawyers for each. A full Jury and a judge. The debate would go mostly between the two lawyers. The jury would also vote, but the ultimate decision would reside with the judge. Please comment if you would like to do something like that or just if you have other ideas.
gomergcc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 4:17:36 AM
At 12/23/2014 11:48:30 AM, Rubikx wrote:

I was thinking it would be cool to have a court case debate. Where there's a person being accused of a crime, the person accusing them. Lawyers for each. A full Jury and a judge. The debate would go mostly between the two lawyers. The jury would also vote, but the ultimate decision would reside with the judge. Please comment if you would like to do something like that or just if you have other ideas.

I think it would be hard to add in the judge part. I would not mind a mock trail style debate. One were the voters are the jury. What the hard part really would be is finding a neutral 3rd party make up all the evidence that neither debater could see before the debate got started. Unless you could find some random generator from crime rpgs.
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 11:41:18 AM
At 12/27/2014 4:17:36 AM, gomergcc wrote:

I think it would be hard to add in the judge part. I would not mind a mock trail style debate. One were the voters are the jury. What the hard part really would be is finding a neutral 3rd party make up all the evidence that neither debater could see before the debate got started. Unless you could find some random generator from crime rpgs.

I think it's a cool idea. I think the best approach is to have the accused be an assumed person, rather than an actual role.

I don't think that the whole discovery thing (only knowing the evidence after the debate starts), because that's not quite how court cases work, anyway. Discovery occurs before the case actually goes to trial, but after the Grand Jury makes its decision to indict.

I think I would be really into this, in fact.

As for cases, here's one option: http://www.streetlaw.org...

It would be interesting to throw witnesses into the mix just for shitsandgiggles.

I think the biggest problem would be the cross-examinations. There's generally a whole lot of objections and things going on, so if this is done with a thread, it would have to be done in such a way where the opposing attorney has the opportunity to object, or it would need to be in some sort of live chat.
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 1:53:11 PM

As someone who has always wanted to revisit the Roe v Wade decision, I like your idea. In fact, I've struggled with finding a way to do this here. I've been on jury duty before and I was honored to be part of the process before.

As for the Judge or Judges, I think that role can be filled by voters - same as it is for the debates. Voters are essentially playing the role of judge there too.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
Rubikx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 4:07:12 PM
At 12/27/2014 1:53:11 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:

As someone who has always wanted to revisit the Roe v Wade decision, I like your idea. In fact, I've struggled with finding a way to do this here. I've been on jury duty before and I was honored to be part of the process before.

As for the Judge or Judges, I think that role can be filled by voters - same as it is for the debates. Voters are essentially playing the role of judge there too.

Its actually possible to have just one person judge a debate. its in the debate settings.
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 4:17:58 PM
At 12/27/2014 4:07:12 PM, Rubikx wrote:

Its actually possible to have just one person judge a debate. its in the debate settings.

Judge a debate? Why would we...? If this is modeled after court cases, then we'd need a jury.
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 8:28:33 PM

Cool. I always wanted to be a judge.
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2014 8:29:07 PM
At 12/27/2014 4:17:58 PM, Such wrote:

Judge a debate? Why would we...? If this is modeled after court cases, then we'd need a jury.

Jury trials still have judges.

Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2014 7:37:13 AM
At 12/27/2014 8:29:07 PM, Chuz-Life wrote:

But, generally, they have judges to help keep the case in line and make rulings on the direction the case takes -- for example, to overrule or sustain objections, to declare mistrials, or acquittals.

I mean, there are cases where it isn't a jury trial -- especially those in which the defendant waives his or her right to an attorney and defends his or herself -- but, I would figure that this would be a based on traditional trials, particularly because each side of the debate would be made by attorneys.

So, in this case, I don't understand why we would have a judge or a panel of judges to determine a verdict, unless these were all meant to be supreme court cases.
Rubikx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2014 12:37:56 PM
At 12/28/2014 7:37:13 AM, Such wrote:

But, generally, they have judges to help keep the case in line and make rulings on the direction the case takes -- for example, to overrule or sustain objections, to declare mistrials, or acquittals.

I mean, there are cases where it isn't a jury trial -- especially those in which the defendant waives his or her right to an attorney and defends his or herself -- but, I would figure that this would be a based on traditional trials, particularly because each side of the debate would be made by attorneys.

So, in this case, I don't understand why we would have a judge or a panel of judges to determine a verdict, unless these were all meant to be supreme court cases.

I have zero experience with court proceedings, but I was thinking just having the jury as advisors to the judge or something like that.
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2014 12:41:52 PM
At 12/28/2014 7:37:13 AM, Such wrote:

It's all interesting to me - no matter which structure is chosen.