Jump to topic:

Where's the Outrage?

wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2015 11:52:20 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Much of the world is outrage over the Islamist terror attack in Paris last week that cost 17 lives, and rightly so. But where was the outrage when in the same week, the Islamist fundamentalist group Boko Haram in Nigeria slaughtered HUNDREDS, an entire village: men, WOMEN, and CHILDREN?

This village didn't publicly mock Islam. They were just going about their own lives, when they were ruthlessly slaughtered. Where is the million person march for them? Do we value the life of a political cartoonist who openly courted revenge over that of dozens, if not hundreds of innocent women and children?

What a sad commentary on world society and (so called) civilization!
Clovis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2015 2:29:11 PM
At 1/11/2015 11:52:20 AM, wsmunit7 wrote:
Much of the world is outrage over the Islamist terror attack in Paris last week that cost 17 lives, and rightly so. But where was the outrage when in the same week, the Islamist fundamentalist group Boko Haram in Nigeria slaughtered HUNDREDS, an entire village: men, WOMEN, and CHILDREN?

This village didn't publicly mock Islam. They were just going about their own lives, when they were ruthlessly slaughtered. Where is the million person march for them? Do we value the life of a political cartoonist who openly courted revenge over that of dozens, if not hundreds of innocent women and children?

The outrage from the media was subdued but the outrage in general was definitely there.
Words are wind.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2015 4:33:19 PM
At 1/11/2015 2:29:11 PM, Clovis wrote:

The outrage from the media was subdued but the outrage in general was definitely there.

Doesn't that say something about us as a society and civilization?
Clovis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2015 4:44:00 PM
At 1/11/2015 4:33:19 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:

It says something about the media.

The media knows that people are going to feel more connected to French citizens in Paris who are the victims of an attack on freedom of expression rather than some African villiges destroyed in a random bout of violence.

France is a western nation.
Paris is a world renowned city.
Small terror attacks on civilians is more relatable than an army attack as in Nigeria.

These are some of the few reasons that the media felt as though they could cash in better on the France story than the Nigeria story. If you want to know more about this kind of decision making I'd suggest you look into researching "Gatekeepers" as it pertains to the media and news info.
Words are wind.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2015 5:05:01 PM
At 1/11/2015 4:44:00 PM, Clovis wrote:

The media knows that people are going to feel more connected to French citizens in Paris who are the victims of an attack on freedom of expression rather than some African villiges destroyed in a random bout of violence.

Small terror attacks on civilians is more relatable than an army attack as in Nigeria.

These are some of the few reasons that the media felt as though they could cash in better on the France story than the Nigeria story. If you want to know more about this kind of decision making I'd suggest you look into researching "Gatekeepers" as it pertains to the media and news info.

I can agree with your reasoning on media coverage, but that doesn't address why we, as people aren't more outraged. Just because Paris is western civilization makes it more important to us, and therefore the media feeds us what we want to see and hear (to boost their ratings and profits)?

I guess my point is, why is the life of a political cartoonist / pundit in Paris who satirazed somosomesone else's religion for pay, more valuable to civilization than that of an innocent child in Nigeria?
Clovis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2015 5:06:26 PM
At 1/11/2015 5:05:01 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:

I can agree with your reasoning on media coverage, but that doesn't address why we, as people aren't more outraged. Just because Paris is western civilization makes it more important to us, and therefore the media feeds us what we want to see and hear (to boost their ratings and profits)?

I guess my point is, why is the life of a political cartoonist / pundit in Paris who satirazed somosomesone else's religion for pay, more valuable to civilization than that of an innocent child in Nigeria?

Well the outrage is lower because the media coverage was lower. People in today's society only get outraged by things that are spoon fed to them by social media or the news media.

I don't think that they are more valuable than the Nigerians killed they are just better covered.
Words are wind.

wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2015 6:33:15 PM
At 1/11/2015 5:06:26 PM, Clovis wrote:
At 1/11/2015 5:05:TV PM, wsmunit7 wrote:

Well the outrage is lower because the media coverage was lower. People in today's society only get outraged by things that are spoon fed to them by social media or the news media.

That is obvious. My QUESTION was and is : Why does the "media " ONLY " feed us that?

Then why do we allow ourselves to be spoon fed by the media? I got my information from the media too! Maybe I just have a different discernment?

I don't think that they are more valuable than the Nigerians killed they are just better covered.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2015 6:40:34 PM

No, it says something about the media and it's desire to filter news that doesn't promote an agenda they support. In this case covering dead journalists can be used to promote gun control. The slaughter of hundreds of poor people in a third world country doesn't really promote any agenda of the media.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2015 6:43:42 PM

I'm outraged by both. I even put a lik to an article on my FB page a few days ago abut boko haram. But people in general care more about western problems. Nigeria only got on the radar because of those kidnapped girls (who still haven't been recovered yet).
SirCrona
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2015 8:57:49 PM

The second one wouldn't have sold papers/gotten views. Sadly, the media only reports what people will be interested in. 17 dying in the first world is far less shocking to someone living there as hundreds dying in the third world. It's sad, but true.
Fido
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2015 9:48:47 PM

Islam has always been a militant religion. That is not the problem. When the United States attacks relatively defenseless people who happen to be Muslims, they in fact endanger countless Christens who have lived cheek by jowl with the Muslims for many hundreds of years. These are honorable people from honor societies, and such societies simply believe in Group Responsibility. When Christians from our group attack them they feel justified in attacking any available Christian. That is the way it has always been. Our Iraq war would not have started on the evidence. People accepted the evidence because they wanted to attack any of those who were thought to be responsible.
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 12:09:06 AM
At 1/11/2015 8:57:49 PM, SirCrona wrote:

The second one wouldn't have sold papers/gotten views. Sadly, the media only reports what people will be interested in. 17 dying in the first world is far less shocking to someone living there as hundreds dying in the third world. It's sad, but true.

My intent with this post was not to demean or cricritize ANY religion. My intent was to question why some of us ignore genocide for popularity of the victims of murder.

I am so pi$$Ed off by ignorance rightright now, I can't see enough through my tears to type!!!!!

I pity the human race. We will destroy ourselves. No "god" will need to do it for us.
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 12:56:17 AM

Firstly, and perhaps off topic, why have you capitalized "women" and "children"
Secondly, not much of the world is in outrage as a result of the occurrence in Paris.
Third, and finally, it is not that difficult to understand why the event you mentioned received less exposure than the event in Paris. A few factors to evaluate, but are quite simple. Paris is a FAR, deliberate and profound emphasis placed, more developed region in terms of economics and governmental establishment. Journalists prefer to feature a story where terrorists target a prominent city, which would yield a far better story, than to cover a story of poor Nigerians in an area that experiences an abundance of issues, many of which may include terrorism.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 1:49:15 AM

Well this is just the tip of the ice berg. I mean we could come up with all sorts of examples where the outrage/attention too one thing is given where something much worse doesn't get so much so.

This isn't new.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 3:46:42 AM

a) They're not in a developed country
b) They're not white

Your point is invalid.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 4:38:25 AM
At 1/12/2015 12:56:17 AM, intellectuallyprimitive wrote:

This village didn't publicly mock Islam. They were just going about their own lives, when they were ruthlessly slaughtered. Where is the million person march for them? Do we value the life of a political cartoonis on world society and (so called) civilization!

Because "men" doesn't grab attention. It worked! You responded!!!!!

Secondly, not much of the world is in outrage as a result of the occurrence in Paris.

Oh really??? Then why are the heads of states of so many countries meeting there because of it?? You are either naive or behind the news.

Third, and finally, it is not that difficult to understand why the event you mentioned received less exposure than the event in Paris. A few factors to evaluate, but are quite simple. Paris is a FAR, deliberate and profound emphasis placed, more developed region in terms of economics and governmental establishment. Journalists prefer to feature a story where terrorists target a prominent city, which would yield a far better story, than to cover a story of poor Nigerians in an area that experiences an abundance of issues, many of which may include terrorism.

So, what you are basically saying is that supposedly more "sophicated " Parisians adult males who openly mocked Islam are more important to the world than SLAUGHTERED innocent children?

God (if there is such) , have mercy on your soul (if there is such a tthing).

Do you find it amazing that an agnoagnostic can feel such empathy and compassion when others can't seem to??
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 6:44:23 PM
Why should they care? Most people anywhere generally only pretend to care about people dying in other countries if they can benefit from the display somehow. 'Othering' is an essential part of how human society works, and empathy is not a 'humanizing' sensation for most. It only extends to those who haven't been cast in our mind as the enemy or the outsider, to other members of the tribe. It is a primitive sensation which can divide by exclusion as much as it binds by inclusion. Someone hears of a village killed in Africa, or of the massacre at Khojaly, where villagers were slaughtered en masse, and cannot really relate to the victims on a visceral level because they are different, culturally. They aren't part of the tribe, and so the sympathy isn't often the genuine, lurching kind that sends ice down your spine when one sees one's own people killed. That is reserved for people who, in your mind, could have been 'you'.

Perhaps a good number of them, if they see the picture of the dead grandmother and grandchild, their hands and feet bound in barbed wire, and a small hand reaching out in its last effort, they will begin to understand that they are not so different. But most people consider such images 'disturbing', because they are, and so avoid them. They disturb the careful walls that people build around themselves in order to avoid seeing other people as fully human. Those walls are only knocked down by leaving our carefully constructed shelter and facing down the sheer horror of a brutal world. A sheltered society does not breed humanity, but callousness.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 6:48:54 PM
At 1/12/2015 4:44:05 AM, wsmunit7 wrote:
SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!! You disgust me.

You have taken me out of context, and will not allow you to do that. I will respond later.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 6:58:23 PM
I'm sure all of the victims in both places equally "openly courted revenge" by not being good Muslims........when they bend over to pray toward Mecca. I'm sure those desert hineys have a lot of wonderful smell for their fellow man. If you kiss them right, they will feel your love and they will know you are not openly courting their revenge for not bowing to Allah and saying Muhammed is his poofit. Anybody who does not bow to Muslims and say Muhammed is his poofit is "openly courting revenge" and the jihadists will be looking to give it to you.
Garbanza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 7:48:05 PM

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. People die all the time and horribly, and if we reacted emotionally to every death, we would be completely dysfunctional. The only possibility, if we're to be fair and reasonable in our responses, is to be indifferent to everything. I think that would be bad.

It's weird how some deaths capture the public imagination and emotions more than other deaths do. I've often wondered about that. I think the media can't be blamed because, as you say, they're pandering to a bias that already exists.
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2015 11:53:18 PM
At 1/12/2015 4:38:25 AM, wsmunit7 wrote:
At 1/12/2015 12:56:17 AM, intellectuallyprimitive wrote:

This village didn't publicly mock Islam. They were just going about their own lives, when they were ruthlessly slaughtered. Where is the million person march for them? Do we value the life of a political cartoonis on world society and (so called) civilization!

Because "men" doesn't grab attention. It worked! You responded!!!!!
Again, why have you capitalized women and children. Are you willing to suggest that the lives of such are more important?

Oh really??? Then why are the heads of states of so many countries meeting there because of it?? You are either naive or behind the news.
Does this indicate that these others share a similar emotional response to yours? You are outraged, and others are as well, but not everyone experiences these events with emotion. To resolve the problem, bypassing emotional urges and allowing reason to pursuit is a far more effective method of resolution, would you agree?

So, what you are basically saying is that supposedly more "sophicated " Parisians adult males who openly mocked Islam are more important to the world than SLAUGHTERED innocent children?
I won't allow you to take me out of context. Please demonstrate where I have even remotely suggested the superior importance of any lives. I was sharing my understandings of why reporters may choose to cover a certain region versus another.
God (if there is such) , have mercy on your soul (if there is such a tthing).
No thank you, I am quite fine without that.
Do you find it amazing that an agnoagnostic can feel such empathy and compassion when others can't seem to??
Can you please explain this sentence.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 12:25:51 AM
At 1/12/2015 7:48:05 PM, Garbanza wrote:

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. People die all the time and horribly, and if we reacted emotionally to every death, we would be completely dysfunctional.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 12:27:44 AM
At 1/13/2015 12:25:51 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. People die all the time and horribly, and if we reacted emotionally to every death, we would be completely dysfunctional.

Professor McGonagall!
lol...Dude you're weird.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 12:30:11 AM
I agree with that sentiment, by the way. But I think the thing is to find yourself an appropriate being related to these things.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 12:39:23 AM
At 1/13/2015 12:27:44 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 1/13/2015 12:25:51 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Professor McGonagall!
lol...Dude you're weird.

Lol, I love Maggie Smith. She was in more than just Harry Potter and Downton though, she's a famous actress. The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, Millionairess, A Room with a View. All fantastic movies.
- Hilaire Belloc -
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 5:56:04 PM

" an entire village: men, WOMEN, and CHILDREN?"

The Fool: What's wrong with this phrase??? Hypocritical perhaps.
<(89)

Against The Ideologist

It's funny but it's not funny.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 6:01:03 PM
At 1/13/2015 5:56:04 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

<(89)

Against The Ideologist

WOMEN is highlighted but not MEN? What blasphemy is this?!
Social Justice Warrior to the rescue!!~
<(8D)
Senpai has noticed you.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 6:06:33 PM
At 1/13/2015 6:01:03 PM, Beginner wrote:

<(89)

Against The Ideologist

<(8D)

The Fool: It's not simply here here, But in most media.. Let's say, Three women are killed and five men, the report will be something like three women were killed and five others.. To emphasize importance, Men is often deemphasize, to create more fact. It represents how society views men and women. That is how they view men is disposable as compared to women. If a man and woman are need of help, And only one can be saved most men and women are more likely to help the woman.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 6:09:41 PM
At 1/13/2015 6:06:33 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:
At 1/13/2015 6:01:03 PM, Beginner wrote:

<(89)

Against The Ideologist

<(8D)

The Fool: It's not simply here here, But in most media.. Let's say, Three women are killed and five men, the report will be something like three women were killed and five others.. To emphasize importance,

*Men is often deemphasize to create more [empathy]. It represents how society views men and women. That is how they view men is disposable as compared to women. If a man and woman are need of help, and only one can be saved most men and women are more likely to help the woman.

The point here is that it contradicts the very argument he's making, which is why aren't people taking these other atrocities as seriously? While he is himself at the same time deemphasizing the deaths of the men. In other words, not taking them as seriously.

Against The Ideologist