Jump to topic:

Greenies?

Republican95
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 12:36:19 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Okay, so every decade as its classic stereotype. The flappers of the '20s, the suburbanites of the '50s, the Hippies of the '60s, and my personal favorite the '80s Yuppie.

In recent months and years I have noticed another one of these "stereotypes" rising, and I would like to label them as "Greenies". Maybe I am just too observant...however, I find several interesting characteristics about these people. Here they are just to name a few:

Mainly white, college educated people between the ages of 20 and 30 with an unusual attraction to liberal/progressive politics. They drink a lot of coffee, in fact, they go to cafes just to play around on their MacBooks (maybe it makes them think that they are more social?). Absolutely addicted to Facebook, iPods, and "vintage" clothing. Most of them have decent paying jobs, but they think that they are way too overqualified, underpaid, and overworked when in reality they are not. They can also be found playing ultimate Frisbee in large, open, green areas. They also like to hang out a Whole Foods Market, dog parks, and Indie film festivals. They also love camping. They drive around town in their Toyota Priuses and other "environmentally responsible" automobiles. Some of them don't own televisions. They believe that globalization and "white people" are the root cause of all the of the Earth's problems. Most of them do not attend Church regularly and have obsessions over Eastern religions. Even though most of them are pushing 30, over half of them are not married and to those that are it has never even crossed their mind that they might want to have children (which is probably a good thing). I call them "Greenies" because of their love for the environment and other "natural" things.

Have you noticed these people? Should they be taken seriously? Are they capable of society-wide social change or are they just some youth subculture that will fade with time?
Republican95
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 12:41:27 PM
At 6/16/2010 12:40:25 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
Why conform to labeling certain people or decades with stereotypical phrases? Be an individual.

Because as a society it is what we do...
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 1:51:45 PM
Fundamentitards are another group on the rise.

The constantly infiltrate relatively enjoyable website, spew their nonsense about how evolution and the Democrats are a soviet fuelled lie, how Obama is the devil how Jesus has helped them, why Palin and Huckabee shoul run the country, how much money should actually be spent on invading more countries, why Obama care will euthanise your grandparents, why artillery guns should pummel the Mexicans borders to keep undesirables out, and lastly, why BP should be allowed do what the f*ck they wanted, cause hey, accidents happen! Got a crack an environment to make a profit!
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Atheism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 8:02:03 PM
At 6/16/2010 1:51:45 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Fundamentitards are another group on the rise.

The constantly infiltrate relatively enjoyable website, spew their nonsense about how evolution and the Democrats are a soviet fuelled lie, how Obama is the devil how Jesus has helped them, why Palin and Huckabee shoul run the country, how much money should actually be spent on invading more countries, why Obama care will euthanise your grandparents, why artillery guns should pummel the Mexicans borders to keep undesirables out, and lastly, why BP should be allowed do what the f*ck they wanted, cause hey, accidents happen! Got a crack an environment to make a profit!
This.
I miss the old members.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 9:38:51 PM
At 6/16/2010 9:32:55 PM, belle wrote:
pfffft they're called hipsters.

lol I was just about to say that. They are called hipsters.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 10:24:40 PM
At 6/16/2010 12:36:19 PM, Republican95 wrote:

Mainly white, college educated people between the ages of 20 and 30 with an unusual attraction to liberal/progressive politics. They drink a lot of coffee, in fact, they go to cafes just to play around on their MacBooks (maybe it makes them think that they are more social?). Absolutely addicted to Facebook, iPods, and "vintage" clothing. Most of them have decent paying jobs, but they think that they are way too overqualified, underpaid, and overworked when in reality they are not. They can also be found playing ultimate Frisbee in large, open, green areas. They also like to hang out a Whole Foods Market, dog parks, and Indie film festivals. They also love camping. They drive around town in their Toyota Priuses and other "environmentally responsible" automobiles. Some of them don't own televisions. They believe that globalization and "white people" are the root cause of all the of the Earth's problems. Most of them do not attend Church regularly and have obsessions over Eastern religions. Even though most of them are pushing 30, over half of them are not married and to those that are it has never even crossed their mind that they might want to have children (which is probably a good thing). I call them "Greenies" because of their love for the environment and other "natural" things.

lol. I like how you just unwhittingly summarized up the website "stuff white people like" in a paragraph.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2010 10:38:43 PM
At 6/16/2010 12:40:25 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
Why conform to labeling certain people or decades with stereotypical phrases? Be an individual.

And what, just start another stereotype?
Republican95
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2010 9:10:54 AM
At 6/17/2010 7:57:27 AM, Vi_Veri wrote:
http://www.urbandictionary.com...

Hipster. Not Greenie.

Well, to me they are not the same thing. Greenies tend to be older, more reserved, and come from more affluent backgrounds.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2010 9:43:14 AM
At 6/17/2010 9:10:54 AM, Republican95 wrote:
At 6/17/2010 7:57:27 AM, Vi_Veri wrote:
http://www.urbandictionary.com...

Hipster. Not Greenie.

Well, to me they are not the same thing. Greenies tend to be older, more reserved, and come from more affluent backgrounds.

hipsters are drawn from the 20-something age group, and tend to be middle class or upper middle class.... while i agree you can find some of their attitudes (esp the attraction to uber liberal politics) in a wider group, the hipsters are the perfect distillation of it.

http://baldheadgirl.ning.com...

if you were in the city i'd take you to the mission and show you...
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
1Percenter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2013 5:43:20 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Change the Toyota Prius to a Suburu Outback and you have the exact definition of a hipster. At least in the western U.S.

Toyota Prius are more for the aging, wealthy and smug environmentalists. They tend to be more suburbanite while hipsters are younger and more urbanite, though no less annoying.
ironmaiden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2013 7:44:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Forget hipsters and greenies. How about the rise of swag f*ags?
"I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being that his is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question. 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"