Jump to topic:

Semantics: Feminism vs. Gender Equality

ihateusernames3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 10:40:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I identify as a feminist, in that I believe both men and women should have equal opportunities, rights, and freedoms.

The word "feminist," however, has become so massively unpopular -- it's practically a derogatory word now.

Unfortunately, too many discussions about gender equality end up being a big fight about semantics -- this is getting us nowhere. In the past, many benign terms have grown to have negative connotations and have since been abandoned.

Instead of continuing to fight over the WORD for the movement -- I think it is time for its leaders to compromise and change it for clarification and to reduce the stigma. Then we can actually get to the real problems.

What do you all think?
"I know but one freedom, and that is the freedom of the mind."
sarahharsh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 10:45:33 PM
femenism is a word flung around like poo. It is grossly misappropriated to all but those to whom the word most applies.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 10:51:51 PM
At 1/13/2015 10:45:33 PM, sarahharsh wrote:
femenism is a word flung around like poo. It is grossly misappropriated to all but those to whom the word most applies.

The Fool: it is poo...
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 11:04:41 PM
At 1/13/2015 10:40:59 PM, ihateusernames3 wrote:
I identify as a feminist, in that I believe both men and women should have equal opportunities, rights, and freedoms.

The word "feminist," however, has become so massively unpopular -- it's practically a derogatory word now.

Unfortunately, too many discussions about gender equality end up being a big fight about semantics -- this is getting us nowhere. In the past, many benign terms have grown to have negative connotations and have since been abandoned.

Instead of continuing to fight over the WORD for the movement -- I think it is time for its leaders to compromise and change it for clarification and to reduce the stigma. Then we can actually get to the real problems.

What do you all think?

The Fool: No one's fighting over the word of the movement, people distinguish between the men's and women's movement. Feminism, is synonymously the women's movement. I believe you creating a straw man, which was built within the framework of feminist thought.

There are inequalities, any equalities which are more or less disadvantaged to one sex and not the other by virtue of inherent differences. Men for the most part, and particularly MRA do not want to work within the framework of feminist theory, which is inherently misandrous.

Feminist constructs like Patriarchy theory, tend to presume that men are generally malicious in nature, and have structured society to not only oppress women but merely for their own selfish interests. These are not gender-neutral assumptions, nor are they based on facts.

Thus one who accepts feminism as identity, tends to more easily accept these other more sexist concepts without even noticing, as part of the identity. This biases their perception on how they see the world and how they perceive men and woman. We reject your representation and advocacy.

Against The Ideologist

Thanks but no thanks..
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
sarahharsh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 11:06:00 PM
At 1/13/2015 11:04:41 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

What do you all think?

The Fool: No one's fighting over the word of the movement, people distinguish between the men's and women's movement. Feminism, is synonymously the women's movement. I believe you creating a straw man, which was built within the framework of feminist thought.

There are inequalities, any equalities which are more or less disadvantaged to one sex and not the other by virtue of inherent differences. Men for the most part, and particularly MRA do not want to work within the framework of feminist theory, which is inherently misandrous.

Feminist constructs like Patriarchy theory, tend to presume that men are generally malicious in nature, and have structured society to not only oppress women but merely for their own selfish interests. These are not gender-neutral assumptions, nor are they based on facts.

Thus one who accepts feminism as identity, tends to more easily accept these other more sexist concepts without even noticing, as part of the identity. This biases their perception on how they see the world and how they perceive men and woman. We reject your representation and advocacy.

Against The Ideologist

Thanks but no thanks..

I shall endeavor to explain the glaring inconsistencies in your speech. I shall do this, however, at a later time.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 11:08:00 PM
Corrections
*There are inequalities, and equalities which are more or less disadvantaged to one sex and not the other by virtue of inherent differences.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 11:08:25 PM

I shall endeavor to explain the glaring inconsistencies in your speech. I shall do this, however, at a later time.

The Fool: good luck. You will certainly need it...
sarahharsh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 11:11:11 PM
At 1/13/2015 11:08:25 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

The Fool: good luck. You will certainly need it...

I should think that this applies to you, and not me, but that would be rude to utter.
ihateusernames3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 11:11:30 PM

What do you all think?

Against The Ideologist

Thanks but no thanks..

So you are saying that gender equality is impossible? That men and women inherently will fight for power?
sarahharsh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 11:12:20 PM
At 1/13/2015 11:11:30 PM, ihateusernames3 wrote:

What do you all think?

Against The Ideologist

Thanks but no thanks..

So you are saying that gender equality is impossible? That men and women inherently will fight for power?

Shut up. You know nothing, woman.
ihateusernames3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 11:13:51 PM
At 1/13/2015 11:12:20 PM, sarahharsh wrote:

What do you all think?

Against The Ideologist

Thanks but no thanks..

.......wtf.
sarahharsh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 11:15:02 PM
At 1/13/2015 11:13:51 PM, ihateusernames3 wrote:

What do you all think?

Against The Ideologist

Thanks but no thanks..

.......wtf.

Ohhh, is someone NOW offended? Let the world gaze upon your double standards and cheap tricks.
ihateusernames3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 11:17:00 PM
At 1/13/2015 11:15:02 PM, sarahharsh wrote:

What do you all think?

Against The Ideologist

Thanks but no thanks..

.......wtf.

Ohhh, is someone NOW offended? Let the world gaze upon your double standards and cheap tricks.

...no. I just have no clue what you're talking about.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 11:17:03 PM

What do you all think?

Against The Ideologist

Thanks but no thanks..

The Fool: I'm saying that, the concept of gender equality is in adequate to constitute justice between sexes, that is because in the end we will have to have different rules, which must quantitatively Be equal in value.

For example, reproductive rights, so far, it seems to be something Feminist feel only women are entitled to by virtue of their bodies...

Because of our differences bodies, we can't have will reproductive rights in the very same way. And yes the utopia of Equality is not something which will ever be achieved, But something to be approached..

Again, I'm not going to accept most of feminist theory, which for the most part isn't based off facts.. You will be forced outside the paradigm, which you've been indoctrinated into.. Good luck, Working outside that.
sarahharsh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 11:17:49 PM
At 1/13/2015 11:17:00 PM, ihateusernames3 wrote:
At 1/13/2015 11:15:02 PM, sarahharsh wrote:

What do you all think?

Against The Ideologist

Thanks but no thanks..

.......wtf.

...no. I just have no clue what you're talking about.

Playing dumb? U really think tahts going to work on the expert? Please, honey, you dont even need to act.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 11:19:16 PM

.......wtf.

The Fool: This is not tumbler. Nice try.
sarahharsh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 11:20:22 PM
At 1/13/2015 11:19:16 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

.......wtf.

stop making meaningless posts and wasting the forum space - space that is here to accommodate for profound thoughts and not your own trivial musings.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 11:23:19 PM
At 1/13/2015 11:20:22 PM, sarahharsh wrote:

.......wtf.

stop making meaningless posts and wasting the forum space - space that is here to accommodate for profound thoughts and not your own trivial musings.

Hello
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 11:23:37 PM

You really don't. Feminism views gender issues from the perspective of a biased tendency towards women.

Good.

Why not say you're an equal rights advocate instead of a feminist? Is that really so hard to do?

What do you all think?
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 11:23:38 PM

.......wtf.

sarahharsh : stop making meaningless posts and wasting the forum space - space that is here to accommodate for profound thoughts and not your own trivial musings.

The Fool: By all means demonstrate your profound thoughts...

You've just got here and you have had to misrepresent what I said several times.. Your track record is not looking good...

Against The Ideologist

That's not a good debut
ihateusernames3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 11:23:39 PM

.......wtf.

You took up forum space to say "Shut up. You know nothing, woman."

I signed up here because I was sick of the nature of discussions on other internet forums. I'd hoped that I would find people capable of meaningful discussions and debates -- actually listening to differing points of view and communicating like adults. It's become clear to me that I was mistaken and will not find it here.
sarahharsh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 11:24:47 PM
At 1/13/2015 11:23:19 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

.......wtf.

Hello

Are you profoundly attracted to me? Get a life, creep.
sarahharsh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 11:26:41 PM
At 1/13/2015 11:23:39 PM, ihateusernames3 wrote:

.......wtf.

I signed up here because I was sick of the nature of discussions on other internet forums. I'd hoped that I would find people capable of meaningful discussions and debates -- actually listening to differing points of view and communicating like adults. It's become clear to me that I was mistaken and will not find it here.

listen up, ive been around for over an hour. its not ages, but its long enough to conclude that this site shall satifsft my genius intellect. ur wrong.
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 11:27:02 PM
At 1/13/2015 11:24:47 PM, sarahharsh wrote:

.......wtf.

Hello

You need to not use insults like that. He was just saying hello, too. You also called me a sl*t on my profile. You need to watch what you call people. There is a Terms of Service on the this website and you are not adhering to it.
ihateusernames3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 11:27:11 PM
Why not say you're an equal rights advocate instead of a feminist? Is that really so hard to do?

No, it's not. But I was raised with a different meaning of the word "feminism"... just as many words in the past have changed in meaning. Many "equal rights advocates" cling to the old meaning of the word that brought us the right to vote, work, own property... and discussion lead to a fight about whether feminists believe in equality or matriarchy.

All I am saying is that -- just as "global warming" is becoming more popularly referred to as "climate change" -- perhaps it would be wise for "feminists" believing in equality to denounce the term.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 11:27:26 PM

.......wtf.

ihateusernames3 : : stop making meaningless posts and wasting the forum space - space that is here to accommodate for profound thoughts and not your own trivial musings.

ihateusernames3 : You took up forum space to say "Shut up. You know nothing, woman."

The Fool: What you get out of this? No really. People are going to be a little more critical of what you're saying..

ihateusernames3 : I signed up here because I was sick of the nature of discussions on other internet forums. I'd hoped that I would find people capable of meaningful discussions and debates -- actually listening to differing points of view and communicating like adults. It's become clear to me that I was mistaken and will not find it here.

The Fool: Don't let the door hit you on your way out..

Against The IdeologistIt
sarahharsh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 11:27:37 PM
At 1/13/2015 11:23:38 PM, The_Fool_on_the_hill wrote:

.......wtf.

sarahharsh : stop making meaningless posts and wasting the forum space - space that is here to accommodate for profound thoughts and not your own trivial musings.

The Fool: By all means demonstrate your profound thoughts...

You've just got here and you have had to misrepresent what I said several times.. Your track record is not looking good...

Against The Ideologist

That's not a good debut

my own thoughts demonstrate their own profondness. I neednt do shet.
sarahharsh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 11:28:45 PM
At 1/13/2015 11:27:02 PM, Zarroette wrote:
At 1/13/2015 11:24:47 PM, sarahharsh wrote:

.......wtf.

Hello

You need to not use insults like that. He was just saying hello, too. You also called me a sl*t on my profile. You need to watch what you call people. There is a Terms of Service on the this website and you are not adhering to it.

Listen, b!tch. The next time you address me like you something (when, clearly ur not) I will slap u so silly u gunna wish u were never born. We clear?
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 11:29:04 PM

.......wtf.

You might want to stay away from society for a while. A huge number of the topics here are derailed into the same fruitless squabbling over feminism. It's not exactly a productive topic at the moment.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2015 11:29:23 PM
At 1/13/2015 11:27:11 PM, ihateusernames3 wrote:

No, it's not. But I was raised with a different meaning of the word "feminism"

It doesn't matter what definition you were raised with. Feminism has always been about women first, men second. Feminism's scope focuses on women's issues and sees other issues through women's issues. It cannot, due to this focus, ever become something that advocates for true gender equality.

... just as many words in the past have changed in meaning. Many "equal rights advocates" cling to the old meaning of the word that brought us the right to vote, work, own property... and discussion lead to a fight about whether feminists believe in equality or matriarchy.

All I am saying is that -- just as "global warming" is becoming more popularly referred to as "climate change" -- perhaps it would be wise for "feminists" believing in equality to denounce the term.