Total Posts:24|Showing Posts:1-24
Jump to topic:

SCOTUS agrees to hear same sex marriage cases

wsmunit7
Posts: 1,318
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2015 6:28:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
The Supreme Court has agreed to hear the same sex marriage cases, with oral arguments in April, and a decision by late June.

I won't post links here, just check any internet news source.

This will be a historic decision, on the scale of Brown vs Board of Education & Roe vs Wade. Based on the court's decision in the Windsor case last year and the rulings of the majority of the Federal Appeals Court's rulings, I personally expect same sex marriage will be legal throughout the USA by next July 4th, Independence Day. I am, however, concerned about the potential reaction from the extremist antis. I sincerely hope they don't resort to the extremes they have shown over Roe vs Wade: murder and terrorism. That makes them no better than Al Quadia or ISIS.
phiLockeraptor
Posts: 233
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2015 10:51:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/16/2015 6:28:11 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
The Supreme Court has agreed to hear the same sex marriage cases, with oral arguments in April, and a decision by late June.

I won't post links here, just check any internet news source.

This will be a historic decision, on the scale of Brown vs Board of Education & Roe vs Wade. Based on the court's decision in the Windsor case last year and the rulings of the majority of the Federal Appeals Court's rulings, I personally expect same sex marriage will be legal throughout the USA by next July 4th, Independence Day. I am, however, concerned about the potential reaction from the extremist antis. I sincerely hope they don't resort to the extremes they have shown over Roe vs Wade: murder and terrorism. That makes them no better than Al Quadia or ISIS.

This change is happening too fast. It'd be much better for the victory to be won inch-by-inch rather than all at once.
"Philosophy is a great conversation that never ends"

Writing for this website ----> www.dailyfreethinker.com
bsh1
Posts: 28,400
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2015 11:26:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I think the Court will rule in favor of mandating nation-wide SSM.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...

Summertime Tournament: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 28,400
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2015 11:26:25 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/16/2015 11:24:49 PM, Maikuru wrote:
Beautiful
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...

Summertime Tournament: http://www.debate.org...
komododragon8
Posts: 405
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2015 11:36:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/16/2015 10:51:18 PM, phiLockeraptor wrote:
At 1/16/2015 6:28:11 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
The Supreme Court has agreed to hear the same sex marriage cases, with oral arguments in April, and a decision by late June.

I won't post links here, just check any internet news source.

This will be a historic decision, on the scale of Brown vs Board of Education & Roe vs Wade. Based on the court's decision in the Windsor case last year and the rulings of the majority of the Federal Appeals Court's rulings, I personally expect same sex marriage will be legal throughout the USA by next July 4th, Independence Day. I am, however, concerned about the potential reaction from the extremist antis. I sincerely hope they don't resort to the extremes they have shown over Roe vs Wade: murder and terrorism. That makes them no better than Al Quadia or ISIS.

This change is happening too fast. It'd be much better for the victory to be won inch-by-inch rather than all at once.

In my opinion a sweeping victory would offer the greatest moral boost for the SSM side while simultaniously destroying the anti-SSM's moral.
phiLockeraptor
Posts: 233
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2015 11:37:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/16/2015 11:36:05 PM, komododragon8 wrote:
At 1/16/2015 10:51:18 PM, phiLockeraptor wrote:
At 1/16/2015 6:28:11 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
The Supreme Court has agreed to hear the same sex marriage cases, with oral arguments in April, and a decision by late June.

I won't post links here, just check any internet news source.

This will be a historic decision, on the scale of Brown vs Board of Education & Roe vs Wade. Based on the court's decision in the Windsor case last year and the rulings of the majority of the Federal Appeals Court's rulings, I personally expect same sex marriage will be legal throughout the USA by next July 4th, Independence Day. I am, however, concerned about the potential reaction from the extremist antis. I sincerely hope they don't resort to the extremes they have shown over Roe vs Wade: murder and terrorism. That makes them no better than Al Quadia or ISIS.

This change is happening too fast. It'd be much better for the victory to be won inch-by-inch rather than all at once.

In my opinion a sweeping victory would offer the greatest moral boost for the SSM side while simultaniously destroying the anti-SSM's moral.

I've done some news-reading, and I think I'm inclined to agree with you now. 36 States and counting, baby!
"Philosophy is a great conversation that never ends"

Writing for this website ----> www.dailyfreethinker.com
bsh1
Posts: 28,400
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2015 12:01:31 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/16/2015 11:58:34 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Oh, Kennedy...please...

He will. His track record indicates that he will do the right thing.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...

Summertime Tournament: http://www.debate.org...
Bennett91
Posts: 5,073
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2015 12:32:58 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/16/2015 11:26:11 PM, bsh1 wrote:
I think the Court will rule in favor of mandating nation-wide SSM.

You think the court will mandate Sexy Sado-Masochism nation wide? I don't know if they'll go that far, but I hope so.
David Hildebrand - The Progressive Alternative to Dianne Feinstein! http://www.davidforcalifornia.com...

When the Fascist and the Communist argue over which ideology is better they're really just arguing over preferred styles of bureaucracy before getting sent to a death camp.
bsh1
Posts: 28,400
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2015 12:33:35 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/17/2015 12:32:58 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 1/16/2015 11:26:11 PM, bsh1 wrote:
I think the Court will rule in favor of mandating nation-wide SSM.

You think the court will mandate Sexy Sado-Masochism nation wide? I don't know if they'll go that far, but I hope so.

Lol...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...

Summertime Tournament: http://www.debate.org...
wsmunit7
Posts: 1,318
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2015 1:25:58 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/17/2015 12:32:58 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 1/16/2015 11:26:11 PM, bsh1 wrote:
I think the Court will rule in favor of mandating nation-wide SSM.

You think the court will mandate Sexy Sado-Masochism nation wide? I don't know if they'll go that far, but I hope so.

Is sadomasochism your thing? None of my business as long as you cause no harm.
wsmunit7
Posts: 1,318
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2015 1:29:09 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/16/2015 10:51:18 PM, phiLockeraptor wrote:
At 1/16/2015 6:28:11 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
The Supreme Court has agreed to hear the same sex marriage cases, with oral arguments in April, and a decision by late June.

I won't post links here, just check any internet news source.

This will be a historic decision, on the tscale of Brown vs Board of Education & Roe vs Wade. Based on the court's decision in the Windsor case last year and the rulings of the majority of the Federal Appeals Court's rulings, I personally expect same sex marriage will be legal throughout the USA by next July 4th, Independence Day. I am, however, concerned about the potential reaction from the extremist antis. I sincerely hope they don't resort to the extremes they have shown over Roe vs Wade: murder and terrorism. That makes them no better than Al Quadia or ISIS.

This change is happening too fast. It'd be much better for the victory to be won inch-by-inch rather than all at once.

I suppose that's easy to say if you aren't personally effected by it. If you are, it's a whole different story.
Bennett91
Posts: 5,073
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2015 1:35:56 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/17/2015 1:25:58 AM, wsmunit7 wrote:
At 1/17/2015 12:32:58 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 1/16/2015 11:26:11 PM, bsh1 wrote:
I think the Court will rule in favor of mandating nation-wide SSM.

You think the court will mandate Sexy Sado-Masochism nation wide? I don't know if they'll go that far, but I hope so.

Is sadomasochism your thing? None of my business as long as you cause no harm.

You ask then you say it's none of your business. Lol

And don't worry, I play safe ;)
David Hildebrand - The Progressive Alternative to Dianne Feinstein! http://www.davidforcalifornia.com...

When the Fascist and the Communist argue over which ideology is better they're really just arguing over preferred styles of bureaucracy before getting sent to a death camp.
wsmunit7
Posts: 1,318
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2015 1:52:19 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/17/2015 1:35:56 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 1/17/2015 1:25:58 AM, wsmunit7 wrote:
At 1/17/2015 12:32:58 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 1/16/2015 11:26:11 PM, bsh1 wrote:
I think the Court will rule in favor of mandating nation-wide SSM.

You think the court will mandate Sexy Sado-Masochism nation wide? I don't know if they'll go that far, but I hope so.

Is sadomasochism your thing? None of my business as long as you cause no harm.

You ask then you say it's none of your business. Lol

And don't worry, I play safe ;)

Something about rhetorical questions you don't understand??
KhaosMage
Posts: 1,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2015 8:48:48 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/16/2015 6:28:11 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
I am, however, concerned about the potential reaction from the extremist antis. I sincerely hope they don't resort to the extremes they have shown over Roe vs Wade: murder and terrorism. That makes them no better than Al Quadia or ISIS.

That is a low blow.
The killing of abortion doctors can be viewed as saving lives.
The killing of gays cannot.

There is no reason to assume that there will be violence.
FaustianJustice
Posts: 7,491
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 12:02:08 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/17/2015 8:48:48 AM, KhaosMage wrote:
At 1/16/2015 6:28:11 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
I am, however, concerned about the potential reaction from the extremist antis. I sincerely hope they don't resort to the extremes they have shown over Roe vs Wade: murder and terrorism. That makes them no better than Al Quadia or ISIS.

That is a low blow.
The killing of abortion doctors can be viewed as saving lives.
The killing of gays cannot.

There is no reason to assume that there will be violence.

Seriously. Its not like people were every beaten or harassed for being gay BEFORE this gets heard...
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
KhaosMage
Posts: 1,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 8:14:36 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/19/2015 12:02:08 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 1/17/2015 8:48:48 AM, KhaosMage wrote:
At 1/16/2015 6:28:11 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
I am, however, concerned about the potential reaction from the extremist antis. I sincerely hope they don't resort to the extremes they have shown over Roe vs Wade: murder and terrorism. That makes them no better than Al Quadia or ISIS.

That is a low blow.
The killing of abortion doctors can be viewed as saving lives.
The killing of gays cannot.

There is no reason to assume that there will be violence.

Seriously. Its not like people were every beaten or harassed for being gay BEFORE this gets heard...

That is not what is implied by the OP.
Or, are you saying, that a law just magically changes people's minds?
KhaosMage
Posts: 1,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 8:42:09 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/19/2015 12:02:08 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 1/17/2015 8:48:48 AM, KhaosMage wrote:
At 1/16/2015 6:28:11 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
I am, however, concerned about the potential reaction from the extremist antis. I sincerely hope they don't resort to the extremes they have shown over Roe vs Wade: murder and terrorism. That makes them no better than Al Quadia or ISIS.

That is a low blow.
The killing of abortion doctors can be viewed as saving lives.
The killing of gays cannot.

There is no reason to assume that there will be violence.

Seriously. Its not like people were every beaten or harassed for being gay BEFORE this gets heard...

Beating up gays because they are gay is not the same as beating them up because they can get legally married.
The court's ruling is not likely to cause any violence.
FaustianJustice
Posts: 7,491
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 2:08:50 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/19/2015 8:14:36 AM, KhaosMage wrote:
At 1/19/2015 12:02:08 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:
At 1/17/2015 8:48:48 AM, KhaosMage wrote:
At 1/16/2015 6:28:11 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
I am, however, concerned about the potential reaction from the extremist antis. I sincerely hope they don't resort to the extremes they have shown over Roe vs Wade: murder and terrorism. That makes them no better than Al Quadia or ISIS.

That is a low blow.
The killing of abortion doctors can be viewed as saving lives.
The killing of gays cannot.

There is no reason to assume that there will be violence.

Seriously. Its not like people were every beaten or harassed for being gay BEFORE this gets heard...

That is not what is implied by the OP.
Or, are you saying, that a law just magically changes people's minds?

I don't think a law 'magically' changes people's minds, I think a law that people find unfair puts an impetus of animosity into action.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
SirCrona
Posts: 139
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 5:41:16 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/16/2015 10:51:18 PM, phiLockeraptor wrote:
At 1/16/2015 6:28:11 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
The Supreme Court has agreed to hear the same sex marriage cases, with oral arguments in April, and a decision by late June.

I won't post links here, just check any internet news source.

This will be a historic decision, on the scale of Brown vs Board of Education & Roe vs Wade. Based on the court's decision in the Windsor case last year and the rulings of the majority of the Federal Appeals Court's rulings, I personally expect same sex marriage will be legal throughout the USA by next July 4th, Independence Day. I am, however, concerned about the potential reaction from the extremist antis. I sincerely hope they don't resort to the extremes they have shown over Roe vs Wade: murder and terrorism. That makes them no better than Al Quadia or ISIS.

This change is happening too fast. It'd be much better for the victory to be won inch-by-inch rather than all at once.

Why?
phiLockeraptor
Posts: 233
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 8:26:36 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/21/2015 5:41:16 AM, SirCrona wrote:
At 1/16/2015 10:51:18 PM, phiLockeraptor wrote:
At 1/16/2015 6:28:11 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
The Supreme Court has agreed to hear the same sex marriage cases, with oral arguments in April, and a decision by late June.

I won't post links here, just check any internet news source.

This will be a historic decision, on the scale of Brown vs Board of Education & Roe vs Wade. Based on the court's decision in the Windsor case last year and the rulings of the majority of the Federal Appeals Court's rulings, I personally expect same sex marriage will be legal throughout the USA by next July 4th, Independence Day. I am, however, concerned about the potential reaction from the extremist antis. I sincerely hope they don't resort to the extremes they have shown over Roe vs Wade: murder and terrorism. That makes them no better than Al Quadia or ISIS.

This change is happening too fast. It'd be much better for the victory to be won inch-by-inch rather than all at once.

Why?

Because if each State independently legalizes it, and it's fought for tooth-and-nail, then not only will gay people have legal rights, they will have an overwhelming majority of people who are tolerant instead of a mandate from a judge.
"Philosophy is a great conversation that never ends"

Writing for this website ----> www.dailyfreethinker.com
Kylar
Posts: 29
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 8:41:15 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I am anti-gay marriage, but I am not an extremist in any way shape or form. I believe what I feel is right, and that's that :). I think the US Supreme Court will in a 5-4 decision, allow gay marriage nationwide. The time is almost here, by July 4th it will happen, I predict. I expect Kennedy to allow it.
May your sails never have to be furled, and may the winds of God carry you home
SirCrona
Posts: 139
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 9:21:14 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/21/2015 8:26:36 AM, phiLockeraptor wrote:
At 1/21/2015 5:41:16 AM, SirCrona wrote:
At 1/16/2015 10:51:18 PM, phiLockeraptor wrote:
At 1/16/2015 6:28:11 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
The Supreme Court has agreed to hear the same sex marriage cases, with oral arguments in April, and a decision by late June.

I won't post links here, just check any internet news source.

This will be a historic decision, on the scale of Brown vs Board of Education & Roe vs Wade. Based on the court's decision in the Windsor case last year and the rulings of the majority of the Federal Appeals Court's rulings, I personally expect same sex marriage will be legal throughout the USA by next July 4th, Independence Day. I am, however, concerned about the potential reaction from the extremist antis. I sincerely hope they don't resort to the extremes they have shown over Roe vs Wade: murder and terrorism. That makes them no better than Al Quadia or ISIS.

This change is happening too fast. It'd be much better for the victory to be won inch-by-inch rather than all at once.

Why?

Because if each State independently legalizes it, and it's fought for tooth-and-nail, then not only will gay people have legal rights, they will have an overwhelming majority of people who are tolerant instead of a mandate from a judge.

Not necessarily. People will never unanimously tolerate any one group- some people are just hardwired to hate. All law will give us are legal rights. That's really the best anyone can ask for.