Jump to topic:

SCOTUS agrees to hear same sex marriage cases

wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2015 6:28:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The Supreme Court has agreed to hear the same sex marriage cases, with oral arguments in April, and a decision by late June.

I won't post links here, just check any internet news source.

This will be a historic decision, on the scale of Brown vs Board of Education & Roe vs Wade. Based on the court's decision in the Windsor case last year and the rulings of the majority of the Federal Appeals Court's rulings, I personally expect same sex marriage will be legal throughout the USA by next July 4th, Independence Day. I am, however, concerned about the potential reaction from the extremist antis. I sincerely hope they don't resort to the extremes they have shown over Roe vs Wade: murder and terrorism. That makes them no better than Al Quadia or ISIS.
phiLockeraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2015 10:51:18 PM
At 1/16/2015 6:28:11 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
The Supreme Court has agreed to hear the same sex marriage cases, with oral arguments in April, and a decision by late June.

This will be a historic decision, on the scale of Brown vs Board of Education & Roe vs Wade. Based on the court's decision in the Windsor case last year and the rulings of the majority of the Federal Appeals Court's rulings, I personally expect same sex marriage will be legal throughout the USA by next July 4th, Independence Day. I am, however, concerned about the potential reaction from the extremist antis. I sincerely hope they don't resort to the extremes they have shown over Roe vs Wade: murder and terrorism. That makes them no better than Al Quadia or ISIS.

This change is happening too fast. It'd be much better for the victory to be won inch-by-inch rather than all at once.
"Philosophy is a great conversation that never ends"

Writing for this website ----> www.dailyfreethinker.com
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2015 11:26:11 PM
I think the Court will rule in favor of mandating nation-wide SSM.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2015 11:26:25 PM
At 1/16/2015 11:24:49 PM, Maikuru wrote:
Beautiful
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

komododragon8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2015 11:36:05 PM
At 1/16/2015 10:51:18 PM, phiLockeraptor wrote:

This change is happening too fast. It'd be much better for the victory to be won inch-by-inch rather than all at once.

In my opinion a sweeping victory would offer the greatest moral boost for the SSM side while simultaniously destroying the anti-SSM's moral.
phiLockeraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2015 11:37:14 PM
At 1/16/2015 11:36:05 PM, komododragon8 wrote:

In my opinion a sweeping victory would offer the greatest moral boost for the SSM side while simultaniously destroying the anti-SSM's moral.

I've done some news-reading, and I think I'm inclined to agree with you now. 36 States and counting, baby!

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2015 11:58:34 PM
Oh, Kennedy...please...
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2015 12:01:31 AM
At 1/16/2015 11:58:34 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Oh, Kennedy...please...

He will. His track record indicates that he will do the right thing.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2015 12:32:58 AM
At 1/16/2015 11:26:11 PM, bsh1 wrote:

You think the court will mandate Sexy Sado-Masochism nation wide? I don't know if they'll go that far, but I hope so.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2015 12:33:35 AM
At 1/17/2015 12:32:58 AM, Bennett91 wrote:

You think the court will mandate Sexy Sado-Masochism nation wide? I don't know if they'll go that far, but I hope so.

Lol...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2015 1:25:58 AM

Is sadomasochism your thing? None of my business as long as you cause no harm.
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2015 1:29:09 AM

This will be a historic decision, on the tscale of Brown vs Board of Education & Roe vs Wade. Based on the court's decision in the Windsor case last year and the rulings of the majority of the Federal Appeals Court's rulings, I personally expect same sex marriage will be legal throughout the USA by next July 4th, Independence Day. I am, however, concerned about the potential reaction from the extremist antis. I sincerely hope they don't resort to the extremes they have shown over Roe vs Wade: murder and terrorism. That makes them no better than Al Quadia or ISIS.

I suppose that's easy to say if you aren't personally effected by it. If you are, it's a whole different story.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2015 1:35:56 AM
At 1/17/2015 1:25:58 AM, wsmunit7 wrote:

You ask then you say it's none of your business. Lol

And don't worry, I play safe ;)
wsmunit7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2015 1:52:19 AM
At 1/17/2015 1:35:56 AM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 1/17/2015 1:25:58 AM, wsmunit7 wrote:

You ask then you say it's none of your business. Lol

And don't worry, I play safe ;)

Something about rhetorical questions you don't understand??
KhaosMage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2015 8:48:48 AM
I am, however, concerned about the potential reaction from the extremist antis. I sincerely hope they don't resort to the extremes they have shown over Roe vs Wade: murder and terrorism. That makes them no better than Al Quadia or ISIS.

That is a low blow.
The killing of abortion doctors can be viewed as saving lives.
The killing of gays cannot.

There is no reason to assume that there will be violence.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 12:02:08 AM
At 1/17/2015 8:48:48 AM, KhaosMage wrote:
I am, however, concerned about the potential reaction from the extremist antis. I sincerely hope they don't resort to the extremes they have shown over Roe vs Wade: murder and terrorism. That makes them no better than Al Quadia or ISIS.

That is a low blow.

Seriously. Its not like people were every beaten or harassed for being gay BEFORE this gets heard...
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
KhaosMage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 8:14:36 AM
At 1/19/2015 12:02:08 AM, FaustianJustice wrote:

That is a low blow.

Seriously. Its not like people were every beaten or harassed for being gay BEFORE this gets heard...

That is not what is implied by the OP.
Or, are you saying, that a law just magically changes people's minds?
KhaosMage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 8:42:09 AM

That is a low blow.

Beating up gays because they are gay is not the same as beating them up because they can get legally married.
The court's ruling is not likely to cause any violence.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 2:08:50 PM
At 1/19/2015 8:14:36 AM, KhaosMage wrote:

That is a low blow.

That is not what is implied by the OP.
Or, are you saying, that a law just magically changes people's minds?

I don't think a law 'magically' changes people's minds, I think a law that people find unfair puts an impetus of animosity into action.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
SirCrona
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 5:41:16 AM

Why?
phiLockeraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 8:26:36 AM
At 1/21/2015 5:41:16 AM, SirCrona wrote:

Why?

Because if each State independently legalizes it, and it's fought for tooth-and-nail, then not only will gay people have legal rights, they will have an overwhelming majority of people who are tolerant instead of a mandate from a judge.

Kylar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 8:41:15 AM
I am anti-gay marriage, but I am not an extremist in any way shape or form. I believe what I feel is right, and that's that :). I think the US Supreme Court will in a 5-4 decision, allow gay marriage nationwide. The time is almost here, by July 4th it will happen, I predict. I expect Kennedy to allow it.
May your sails never have to be furled, and may the winds of God carry you home
SirCrona
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 9:21:14 AM
At 1/21/2015 8:26:36 AM, phiLockeraptor wrote:
At 1/21/2015 5:41:16 AM, SirCrona wrote:

Why?

Because if each State independently legalizes it, and it's fought for tooth-and-nail, then not only will gay people have legal rights, they will have an overwhelming majority of people who are tolerant instead of a mandate from a judge.

Not necessarily. People will never unanimously tolerate any one group- some people are just hardwired to hate. All law will give us are legal rights. That's really the best anyone can ask for.