Jump to topic:

That will never happen>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2015 6:50:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
New Jersey, Rhode Island, Ohio, and Illinois now allow incest over the age of 18. I can't count how many times I was told I was a crazy idiot for suggesting incest would become legal following gay marriage approval. Virtually everything I said would follow suit is following suit. Polygamy is being challenged in the courts as we speak. Muslims will make polygamy possible. Oh let me guess, that will never happen.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2015 6:53:44 PM
At 1/18/2015 6:50:00 PM, sadolite wrote:
New Jersey, Rhode Island, Ohio, and Illinois now allow incest over the age of 18. I can't count how many times I was told I was a crazy idiot for suggesting incest would become legal following gay marriage approval. Virtually everything I said would follow suit is following suit. Polygamy is being challenged in the courts as we speak. Muslims will make polygamy possible. Oh let me guess, that will never happen.

Why should any of those be illegal?
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2015 7:05:52 PM
At 1/18/2015 6:53:44 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

The better question is why should I even have to answer.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2015 7:14:44 PM
At 1/18/2015 7:05:52 PM, sadolite wrote:

I don't know. Why should you? You preach your ideal as truth, but you refuse to address it when questioned...

Incest laws are ridiculous in some states. Do you think two people should be put in prison for life (Alabama, North Carolina, Montana, Tennessee) because they had sex? (I, btw, do not people who are related should be allowed to have children.)

Why should polygamy be illegal? I truly am interested to hear your reasoning.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2015 7:25:55 PM
At 1/18/2015 7:14:44 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

I don't know. Why should you? You preach your ideal as truth, but you refuse to address it when questioned...

Incest laws are ridiculous in some states. Do you think two people should be put in prison for life (Alabama, North Carolina, Montana, Tennessee) because they had sex? (I, btw, do not people who are related should be allowed to have children.)

Again, why does the question even come into play. I preached nothing, but only made a prediction. And now that prediction has come true. Now those who called me and everyone else who made the same predictions racists bigots homophobes and so on must now all eat crow and admit they did not consider the unintended consequences of their views. Now those very same people will say none of that matters anyway even though they swore up and down it would never happen. Now the very same people will watch the nuclear family self destruct and say none of these endorsed social depravities had anything to do with it. It's just a sign of the times.

kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2015 7:39:26 PM
At 1/18/2015 7:25:55 PM, sadolite wrote:

Again, why does the question even come into play. I preached nothing, but only made a prediction. And now that prediction has come true. Now those who called me and everyone else who made the same predictions racists bigots homophobes and so on must now all eat crow and admit they did not consider the unintended consequences of their views. Now those very same people will say none of that matters anyway even though they swore up and down it would never happen. Now the very same people will watch the nuclear family self destruct and say none of these endorsed social depravities had anything to do with it. It's just a sign of the times.

If you are against allowing incest, then your beef is with those laws. Don't bring gay marriage into it.

Also, polygamy is about religious freedom--surely a cause with which you identify.

Lastly, none of us have said "this will never happen." We just said that allowing same sex marriage is a different law altogether, and would not cause it. You know who *did* cause these changes? The state governments in question and their voting bodies. Blame democracy, or the Constitution.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2015 8:00:03 PM
At 1/18/2015 7:39:26 PM, kbub wrote:

If you are against allowing incest, then your beef is with those laws. Don't bring gay marriage into it.

Also, polygamy is about religious freedom--surely a cause with which you identify.

Lastly, none of us have said "this will never happen." We just said that allowing same sex marriage is a different law altogether, and would not cause it. You know who *did* cause these changes? The state governments in question and their voting bodies. Blame democracy, or the Constitution.

" We just said that allowing same sex marriage is a different law altogether, and would not cause it. " So you know for a fact that the normalization of gay marriage has nothing to do with the normalization of incest polygamy and all the rest of social depravity. And yes I was told repeatedly it would never happen.

kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2015 8:03:24 PM
At 1/18/2015 8:00:03 PM, sadolite wrote:

" We just said that allowing same sex marriage is a different law altogether, and would not cause it. " So you know for a fact that the normalization of gay marriage has nothing to do with the normalization of incest polygamy and all the rest of social depravity. And yes I was told repeatedly it would never happen.

Being gay or poly is normal, but I know what you mean. I suppose maybe what unites these subjects is open-mindedness.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2015 8:05:16 PM
At 1/18/2015 8:03:24 PM, kbub wrote:

Being gay or poly is normal, but I know what you mean. I suppose maybe what unites these subjects is open-mindedness.

Just go ahead and tell me how allowing such things will have nothing to do with the destruction of the nuclear family and the downfall of society.

kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2015 8:05:24 PM

1hard asked you a fair question.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2015 8:07:33 PM
At 1/18/2015 8:05:24 PM, kbub wrote:

If you need to have it answered then there is no hope for society and the nuclear family. It really is that simple.

kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2015 8:21:06 PM
At 1/18/2015 8:05:16 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 1/18/2015 8:03:24 PM, kbub wrote:

Just go ahead and tell me how allowing such things will have nothing to do with the destruction of the nuclear family and the downfall of society.

Your style of family is not necessarily better or worse than anyone else's. Importantly, there are laws in place that prevent people from being different. Legalizing poly and gay marriage doesn't force anyone to abandon or accept a particular family style--in fact, just the opposite! It allows people to make a choice, allows them to have families as they so fit. It is not the destruction of *any* kind of family, but rather the inclusion of family systems.

However, if the nuclear family is so fragile that it dissolves as soon as people have a choice, then I'm amazed that it existed in the first place. Furthermore, no one is threatening your ability to marry a woman, or having a nuclear family. Why would you be upset that other people don't choose to have a nuclear family? That seems like a personal choice, and not the choice of the United States government.

As for the downfall of society, I think there are many ways that society is in danger; however, I fail to see why the legalization of any of the marriages you have pointed out constitute any danger. The fact is, I think that accepting people who are different from one another, tolerating one another, protecting one's right to privacy, and protecting one's right to express their religion are all ways of lifting up society. Toleration and acceptance between different people are principles that I would love to teach my children. I think that legalizing these marriages is an amazing example of family values.
kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2015 8:21:38 PM
At 1/18/2015 8:07:33 PM, sadolite wrote:

If you need to have it answered then there is no hope for society and the nuclear family. It really is that simple.

I'm starting to think you don't have an answer to that question.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2015 8:40:21 PM
At 1/18/2015 8:21:38 PM, kbub wrote:

I'm starting to think you don't have an answer to that question.

I have answered it a dozen times. You just think there is no connection and will continue to do so just like everyone who mocked me when I said gay marriage would open pandora's box of depravity. Now tell me that all the new normalized behavior will have no effect on society.

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2015 8:44:33 PM

How will it lead to the downfall of society and the nuclear family? Will everyone turn into incestual homosexual polygamists?

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2015 8:48:43 PM

Cousins have had the ability to marry before gays .... so your argument is BS.

Also where is polygamy being challenged? And are you sure it's not Mormons filing the challenge?
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2015 11:57:36 PM

Polygamy is always possible provided you don't include the government in it. Provided you aren't collecting any form of state/federal benefit, what exactly prevents one dude from having many 'wives' (granted, you would call them live in girlfriends), or interconnects of those kind of unions?

And, as mentioned, incest depending on your flavor of family tree is already allowed, so I am not certain where or why you are griefing.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 2:46:49 AM

The Fool: who cares, traditional Marriage is pretty much done anyways.. It's one of the worst things men could do For themselves....

Might as well go full retard......
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
sdavio
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 3:35:15 AM
At 1/19/2015 2:22:36 AM, darkkermit wrote:
Polygamy will destroy western civilization as we know it.

Any evidence / reason for this? Or did you just make it up?
"Logic is the money of the mind." - Karl Marx
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 4:26:37 AM

Polygamy is moral...monogamy is immoral:

http://www.debate.org...
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 8:05:08 AM
At 1/18/2015 11:57:36 PM, FaustianJustice wrote:

Polygamy is always possible provided you don't include the government in it. Provided you aren't collecting any form of state/federal benefit, what exactly prevents one dude from having many 'wives' (granted, you would call them live in girlfriends), or interconnects of those kind of unions?

Don't forget husbands and boyfriends! :)

And, as mentioned, incest depending on your flavor of family tree is already allowed, so I am not certain where or why you are griefing.
kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 8:23:56 AM

Fact check: There is no legal marriage between siblings or other forms of incest in the United States. The states Sadolite mentioned merely do not put people in jail for relationships with one another over 18, and mostly only siblings.

Additionally, this is mostly old news. Rhode Island, for example, has had this law on the books since 1989, long before this stream of legalizing same sex marriages.

Again, there is no legal incestual marriage; it's just that in some states they don't jail you. In other states, however, incest can cause you to spend 20 or more years in jail, even over 18. And again, many of these laws occurred before legal gay marriage. Sadolite failed to provide one iota of a connection between the two. Next time, be careful to fact check, Sadolite.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 3:42:11 PM
At 1/19/2015 3:35:15 AM, sdavio wrote:
At 1/19/2015 2:22:36 AM, darkkermit wrote:
Polygamy will destroy western civilization as we know it.

Any evidence / reason for this? Or did you just make it up?

The Fool: lol!
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 3:48:30 PM

You're fudging kidding me...right?
Right?
RIGHT?!
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 3:49:26 PM
At 1/19/2015 8:23:56 AM, kbub wrote:

Fact check: There is no legal marriage between siblings or other forms of incest in the United States. The states Sadolite mentioned merely do not put people in jail for relationships with one another over 18, and mostly only siblings.

Kind of like a repeal of the Anti-Sodomy laws, I'm guessing.

Additionally, this is mostly old news. Rhode Island, for example, has had this law on the books since 1989, long before this stream of legalizing same sex marriages.

Again, there is no legal incestual marriage; it's just that in some states they don't jail you. In other states, however, incest can cause you to spend 20 or more years in jail, even over 18. And again, many of these laws occurred before legal gay marriage. Sadolite failed to provide one iota of a connection between the two. Next time, be careful to fact check, Sadolite.

The DDO Blog:

kbub
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 3:52:32 PM
At 1/19/2015 3:49:26 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

When they stopped raiding people's homes in order to jail gay people?
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2015 3:53:37 PM
At 1/19/2015 3:52:32 PM, kbub wrote:
At 1/19/2015 3:49:26 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

When they stopped raiding people's homes in order to jail gay people?

More like when they stopped raiding people's homes in order to jail people who were having gay sex.

The DDO Blog: