Jump to topic:

White Privilege

East
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 8:04:54 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I know this is a controversial topic, and I saw it come up in another forum. I know a lot of people don't think white privilege exists. I would like to debate in favor of Pro, especially against a formidable opponent because I know a lot of people are opposed to this concept. Who is interested in Con?
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 8:35:45 PM
At 1/21/2015 8:04:54 PM, East wrote:
I know this is a controversial topic, and I saw it come up in another forum. I know a lot of people don't think white privilege exists. I would like to debate in favor of Pro, especially against a formidable opponent because I know a lot of people are opposed to this concept. Who is interested in Con?

Define 'white privelege'.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
KhaosMage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 8:54:17 PM

Is the debate over whether white privilege exists, or is it about how it is applied?
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 9:36:04 PM
During an interview on his show, Jon Stewart was able to convince Bill O'Reilly that white privilege exists.

However, that fact leaves a few questions:

Does someone such as Bill O'Reilly constitute a worthy opponent?
Will O'Reilly ever admit again what he admitted on Stewart's show?
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
intellectuallyprimitive
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 9:36:46 PM

White privilege can refer to a broad spectrum of aspects. How about a demonstration?
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2015 11:41:22 PM
Having a privilege isn't necessarily a bad thing, and different groups have different privileges. It only starts to become worrisome when privileges involve significant social inequities.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
afterbirth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 3:26:28 AM

I'll debate you. I think white privilege is a myth, but than again it depends on how it's defined.
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 6:29:21 AM
At 1/21/2015 11:41:22 PM, Maikuru wrote:
Having a privilege isn't necessarily a bad thing, and different groups have different privileges. It only starts to become worrisome when privileges involve significant social inequities.

I think that "privilege" in this regard refers to social inequities, and the fact that they're most often in favor of those who are considered or perceived as white.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 8:47:04 AM
Having lived in New Orleans (66% Black)...

I know that being born into a middle/upper middle class black family gives you certain advantages over the same white families.

However, it is decidedly not advantageous to be born a poor black over a poor white, Mostly because of the unequal black on black violence associated with that economic group.
East
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 9:57:28 AM
At 1/21/2015 8:35:45 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
Define 'white privelege'.

White privilege is a term for societal privileges that benefit white people in western countries beyond what is commonly experienced by the non-white people under the same social, political, or economic circumstances. From Wikipedia.
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 9:59:37 AM
At 1/22/2015 8:47:04 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
Having lived in New Orleans (66% Black)...

I know that being born into a middle/upper middle class black family gives you certain advantages over the same white families.

Certain advantages like what?

However, it is decidedly not advantageous to be born a poor black over a poor white, Mostly because of the unequal black on black violence associated with that economic group.

That doesn't actually pertain to privilege, now does it?
Df0512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 1:26:44 PM
I don't believe white privilage exists. It would have to exist across the whole of society. No individual or organization can discriminate against a black person just for being black, for any reason. It isn't legal but racism/prejudice exists and it will never go away. At best it will go into hiding and people will keep it in the bedroom, so to speak. So the affects of racism will never really go away. All people have to do is say I'm not racist and they can make whatever judgement calls they want. My main point here is white people ,in general, will never agree that white privilage exists. So white privilage, if you believe in it, will never go away. You are fighting a ghost.
Df0512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 3:28:37 PM
At 1/22/2015 1:34:34 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
why would someone argue against facts?

Facts?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 5:17:17 PM
At 1/22/2015 9:59:37 AM, Such wrote:

That doesn't actually pertain to privilege, now does it?

And therin lies the rub.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 5:32:12 PM
At 1/22/2015 6:29:21 AM, Such wrote:
At 1/21/2015 11:41:22 PM, Maikuru wrote:

I think that "privilege" in this regard refers to social inequities, and the fact that they're most often in favor of those who are considered or perceived as white.

Indeed. I would agree that white privilege exists. I would also argue that most cultures experience some form of privilege, though the extent to which they perpetuate social inequity differs drastically.
- lamerde

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 5:42:37 PM
In my opinion, there's not so much White Privilege as there is Black Disprivilege.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 5:53:12 PM

I accept.

The DDO Blog:

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 6:04:58 PM
At 1/22/2015 5:42:37 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
In my opinion, there's not so much White Privilege as there is Black Disprivilege.

What about other races?
- lamerde

Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 7:40:35 PM
For those who wonder what constitutes "white privilege," here is a link to a decent list of examples:

http://crc-global.org...
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
LifeMeansGodIsGood
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 7:49:05 PM

I gots the medicare, that means it's free
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 10:49:56 PM
At 1/22/2015 6:04:58 PM, Maikuru wrote:

What about other races?

Such as? Jews, Iranians, and East Asians are generally well off in the United States. Therefore, does that mean the U.S. has a White Jew Iranian East Asian privilege problem?

Blacks are underprivileged. I admit this. However, if I automatically was "privileged" because of the color of my skin, I think I'd have cashed in on my whiteness a long time ago. If I ever was to become successful in life, it will have had little to do with "white privilege" and more to do with the choices that I have made in life.
To assume this is insulting to the White Community by making it sound like any achievement by a White person in the U.S. was a result of "privilege" and not by their own merit, the same way that it's insulting to assume that every black achievement and success story is due to food stamps and government free stuff.

The DDO Blog:

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 11:08:45 PM
At 1/22/2015 10:49:56 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 1/22/2015 6:04:58 PM, Maikuru wrote:

What about other races?

Such as? Jews, Iranians, and East Asians are generally well off in the United States. Therefore, does that mean the U.S. has a White Jew Iranian East Asian privilege problem?

Blacks are underprivileged. I admit this. However, if I automatically was "privileged" because of the color of my skin, I think I'd have cashed in on my whiteness a long time ago. If I ever was to become successful in life, it will have had little to do with "white privilege" and more to do with the choices that I have made in life.
To assume this is insulting to the White Community by making it sound like any achievement by a White person in the U.S. was a result of "privilege" and not by their own merit, the same way that it's insulting to assume that every black achievement and success story is due to food stamps and government free stuff.

I was just curious what you thought about the privilege or underprivileged of other races and ethnic groups. Do you think Blacks are the only underprivileged ethnic/racial group? Also, do you think the under-privilege of Blacks in the US is a problem? Again, just curious.
- lamerde

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 7:54:11 AM
My opponent wasn't very good but I have a debate where I destroy all the most popular myths concerning white privilege.

http://www.debate.org...

It would probably depend on what definition you gave to white privilege. I've seen it also argued that the term white in white privilege doesn't include every white not does it suggest only whites can be termed as white in "white privilege".

If that's the case than I'm not sure why it would be called white privilege by those scholars who argue that but whatever.

I don't have much time for debayes and will probably avoid them almost completely for a while but may reconsider for a debate on white privilege, if the timing is right. The general rule of thumb is to ask the question why.

Premise for white privilege example.

More blacks are in prison.

Why? To use that as a premise for white privilege is to assume the conclusion. When you look at studies investigating this you'll see that blacks go to prison more because they generally have more priors. They have more priors because they live in neighborhoods patrolled more by police and are more likely to sell drugs in the open or on a street corner.

The reason these areas are patrolled more also have to do with more willingness to openly commit crimes as opposed to doing it behind closed doors such as what is done in most white neighborhoods.

A black person living in a white neighborhood is just as likely to get caught committing a crime as a white person in the same neighborhood. It's the same for a white person living in a black neighborhood.

Keep in mind this is just one example. Pretty much all examples have similar explanations, though.

If you get into certain privileges that come with being from a well off family and inheriting their values, money and connections, you can see why it's so hard for blacks to overcome the history of racial inequality. But the wealth, values and connections being passed on isn't technically something you'd call white privilege.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 7:56:05 AM
Also some of the self esteem issues that are too common in the black community as a result of perceiving yourself as a hated minority is a strong problem and hard to overcome but the self inflicted self esteem issues don't fall into the white privilege category very easy.
East
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 5:12:25 PM
At 1/23/2015 7:54:11 AM, Wylted wrote:
My opponent wasn't very good but I have a debate where I destroy all the most popular myths concerning white privilege.

http://www.debate.org...

Interesting, would you like to debate it with the definition I gave? It's pretty straight forward.
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 5:27:43 PM

What is white privilege?
East
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 5:48:22 PM
At 1/23/2015 5:27:43 PM, Varrack wrote:

What is white privilege?

White privilege is a term for societal privileges that benefit white people in western countries beyond what is commonly experienced by the non-white people under the same social, political, or economic circumstances. From Wikipedia.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 6:02:57 PM
At 1/22/2015 7:40:35 PM, Fly wrote:
For those who wonder what constitutes "white privilege," here is a link to a decent list of examples:

http://crc-global.org...

What a silly list. Most of it is saying to the effect "I have the privilege of being a racist, and have the opportunity to exist with only people of my race..."