Jump to topic:

The Individual Acts

s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2015 4:46:22 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
As the individual acts, he, or she, distinguishes himself, or herself, from the collective. The development of personality is only facilitated through one's ability to act, freely.

However, not completely independent from the collective, the individual shares both emotionally and physically in the thoughts, feelings, and actions of the group. The only characteristics that are known, individually, are those not shared. Of course, the individual may notice characteristics that are distinct to the group; but, any found, universally, among all known groups are not distinguishable.

The personality is developed as tension between action and inaction or freedom and restraint, freedom to act and the impedance of one's will by that of greater wills. The individual does not have free agency if his, or her, actions are, only, the product of another, in other words, he, or she, is not able to withstand a will greater than his, or her, own. In this regard, our actions are determined by wills greater than our own. However, we, ourselves, are able to act on those things that have wills lesser than ours; and, in this sense, we, too, have free agency.
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 11:12:43 PM
At 1/23/2015 9:30:59 AM, s-anthony wrote:
At 1/22/2015 6:41:49 AM, Smithereens wrote:
you believe in free will?

Yes, and I believe in determinism.

ah, I've met with compatibilism before, but have never quite understood the premise. How do you marry free-will and determinism?
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 11:38:52 PM
ah, I've met with compatibilism before, but have never quite understood the premise. How do you marry free-will and determinism?

To determine means having the free will to do so.
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 11:39:50 PM
At 1/23/2015 11:38:52 PM, s-anthony wrote:

Hence, determinism is false?
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2015 11:57:41 PM
At 1/23/2015 11:39:50 PM, Smithereens wrote:
At 1/23/2015 11:38:52 PM, s-anthony wrote:

Hence, determinism is false?

Yes, but not completely. Free will makes no sense if there is no determination.