Jump to topic:

Same-sex marriage opponents

Yvette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 4:48:32 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I'm curious how all this works out in your heads, what kind of standards you have. If you've got the time to, mind answering whether you would approve marriage for:

1. Hermaphrodite - normal
2. Hermaphrodite - hermaphrodite
3. Sex changed into male - female
4. Sex changed into female - female
5. Married as male - female, one sex changed after marriage with spouse's support
6. Transgender (feels they are no gender) - normal
7. Transgender (feels they are female) - male
8. Transgender (feels they are female) - female
9. Transgender - transgender
10. Eunuch male - eunuch male
11. Eunuch male - female
12. Turner syndrome - normal
13. Turner syndrome - female/Turner Syndrome

And...why? Why not?
In the middle of moving to Washington. 8D

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 4:57:50 AM
I don't think marriage should have any legal status in itself, it should just be a statement akin to boyfriend/girlfriend status.

The legal rights currently contained in marriage should be enshrined in a (for want of a better term) 'civil alliance' contract. There should probably be a limit on the number of people you can sign this with, or some form of establishing precedent amongst the signatories thus accomadating polygamists.

There should certainly be no interference in sex between consenting adolescents and adults by the state.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 4:58:54 AM
Sorry did not directly address the question, marriage between any combination of the above is fine.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Yvette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 5:05:15 AM
I pretty much agree, actually.

It's just when it's allowed for one person and denied to another, that's not okay.

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 5:57:19 AM
At 6/29/2010 4:48:32 AM, Yvette wrote:
I'm curious how all this works out in your heads, what kind of standards you have. If you've got the time to, mind answering whether you would approve marriage for:

Have an opperation to the nearest sex then marry to the opposite to that sex.
Have an opperation to the nearest sex then sick with it. So semi male - semi female.
Homosexual.
No.
...Yes. He's still a man no matter how much his penis has been Mutilatated.
5. Married as male - female, one sex changed after marriage with spouse's support
To the opposite sex of birth.
Homosexual.
No.
Male - Female
Yep.
9. Transgender - transgender
What?
To a female yeah.
11. Eunuch male - female
Yep.
12. Turner syndrome - normal
Yep.
Yep.

And...why? Why not?
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 5:58:49 AM
At 6/29/2010 5:58:00 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 6/29/2010 5:57:19 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
Homosexual.
No.

Correction.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 8:21:26 AM
Zetsubo, on what basis do you dictate what a persons gender is, and what gender they may marry into. Certain native american tribes recognised 6 genders, marriage within and outisde of those genders. What is your logic?

Is there any point trying to get some sense out of you?
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 8:22:43 AM
Marriage is a tradition, mainly associated with religion, and not many religions I can think of would approve of a transgender lesbian trapped in a eunuch's body marrying a hermaphrodite divorcee with Turner's Syndrome (or whatever).

So why do people with alternative gender preferences want to get married? Surely it is not a wish to conform?

I doubt it. It's much more likely to be part of some tax-dodge or other.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 8:26:29 AM
At 6/29/2010 8:22:43 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
Marriage is a tradition, mainly associated with religion, and not many religions I can think of would approve of a transgender lesbian trapped in a eunuch's body marrying a hermaphrodite divorcee with Turner's Syndrome (or whatever).

So why do people with alternative gender preferences want to get married? Surely it is not a wish to conform?

Maybe they want to publically affirm their love, it's almost like they regard themselves as full humans and feel like they should have the same rights.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 8:52:22 AM

Have an opperation to the nearest sex then sick with it. So semi male - semi female.

shouldn't they just stick it out with how God made'em???
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 8:54:22 AM
At 6/29/2010 8:52:22 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

also what about two completely ambiguous hermaphrodites who don't get operations... can they marry?
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 9:14:38 AM
At 6/29/2010 8:26:29 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Maybe they want to publically affirm their love, it's almost like they regard themselves as full humans and feel like they should have the same rights.

That could be it, but why don't they just have an unofficial ceremony? They could send the following invitation to their friends and families:

"Desmond and Barry cordially invite you to witness them affirm their mutual love and publicly swear to remain faithful to each other.

After the ceremony free booze and grub will be served and dancing to Abba's Greatest Hits will no doubt ensue.

Venue:

The Uphill Gardener public house.
69 Mincing Lane,
Bendover,
Darlington.

(Enter via the back passage).

RSVP."
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 10:13:37 AM
At 6/29/2010 8:52:22 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

I have a trans-gender friend named August. He used to be a girl, but he never felt comfortable. He felt as though something vital was missing and found that he'd align himself with more "boyish" actions and thoughts. He is literally a boy trapped in a girl's body.

I want him to be happy. And if someone told him that he can't marry because he switched genders, I'd punch them. Why? Because no one has the right to choose who gets married and then who doesn't. If you believe love to exist, everyone should be able to experience it. And part of that is by letting them publicly proclaim their love and bond by matrimony.

What harm does it do to you, Zetsubou? Why should you care if these people get married??
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 10:38:09 AM
At 6/29/2010 10:13:37 AM, annhasle wrote:
I have a trans-gender friend named August. He used to be a girl, but he never felt comfortable.

maybe I'm just a jackass and of limited capacities when it comes to imagining stuff... But I don't understand why anyone would feel uncomfortable in their own body except if
A. they're really fat (and thus bulky/sweaty/unathletic.... Naturally Uncomfortable)
B. social awareness/insecurity (you're ugly, scrawny, fat etc)

I tend to think 'transgender' people fall under category (B) and that's something that I understand... But that I don't respect.

Getting a nose job or boob job... or obsessing over look good/right are things that I can understand... BUT are things that I think Usually suggest that you're dealing with a vain, petty, person.

I understand that they may feel as though they're more akin emotionally (AND ACTUALLY PHYSIOLOGICALLY BE more akin emotionally) to the other sex... BUT I don't see how that translates into wanting different physical appendages/shapes EXCEPT on a superficial, vain, social appearances, kind of way.

I understand that they may Feel more like the opposite... BUT I don't see why they can't accept their body as is.

Metaphysics:
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 10:39:45 AM
I oppose all of the types of marriage listed.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 10:42:29 AM
At 6/29/2010 10:39:45 AM, Reasoning wrote:

even Eunuch male - female

what if it was caused by an accident?

(also not talking state-sanctioned marriage)

Metaphysics:
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 10:52:05 AM
At 6/29/2010 10:38:09 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 6/29/2010 10:13:37 AM, annhasle wrote:
I have a trans-gender friend named August. He used to be a girl, but he never felt comfortable.

maybe I'm just a jackass and of limited capacities when it comes to imagining stuff... But I don't understand why anyone would feel uncomfortable in their own body except if
A. they're really fat (and thus bulky/sweaty/unathletic.... Naturally Uncomfortable)
B. social awareness/insecurity (you're ugly, scrawny, fat etc)

I tend to think 'transgender' people fall under category (B) and that's something that I understand... But that I don't respect.

Getting a nose job or boob job... or obsessing over look good/right are things that I can understand... BUT are things that I think Usually suggest that you're dealing with a vain, petty, person.

I understand that they may feel as though they're more akin emotionally (AND ACTUALLY PHYSIOLOGICALLY BE more akin emotionally) to the other sex... BUT I don't see how that translates into wanting different physical appendages/shapes EXCEPT on a superficial, vain, social appearances, kind of way.

I understand that they may Feel more like the opposite... BUT I don't see why they can't accept their body as is.

It transcends social awkwardness. Imagine if you had to wear a short sundress everyday with ribbons in you hair. You'd definitely feel awkward but also feel like it was wrong and not something you should ever have to wear or succumb to ever again. It was that feeling of disgust and then times by 100 that August felt.

It wasn't just about the clothes or the hair. It came down to him psychologically feeling that it was wrong and he needed to change something if he ever wanted to feel comfortable in life in general. He told me this once,

"I felt as though I was living a lie. It was as though I was born a boy and then someone came along, chopped it off and said, 'Ha! Now you're a girl!' I never felt like a girl. I wasn't a girl. That's hard for the public to accept, but I'm happy now. I feel like I'm finally the real me."

It's not that you're a jackass; it's hard to wrap your mind around. Just don't try to automatically condemn it and hopefully one day you'll meet someone who is a trans-gender. They have amazing stories. :)
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 10:52:35 AM
At 6/29/2010 10:39:45 AM, Reasoning wrote:

And I oppose you.
Yvette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 12:46:05 PM
Some questions Zets. Just trying to get a handle on how your type's brains work.

Why the need for an operation? Also with 1, what if there is no "nearest sex"? What if biologically and emotionally they are 50/50?

Homosexual.
No.
...Yes. He's still a man no matter how much his penis has been Mutilatated.

Why would you consider these homosexual if all of the biological and emotional factors make it heterosexual? That they started out as something else shouldn't matter, you've made it clear that's not above with 1 and 2. So why?

Not sure what you mean.

Homosexual.
No.
Male - Female
Yep.

So it comes down not to hormones, then. Just genitals. Why aren't genitals good enough with 3 and 4?

Yep.

So you ARE okay with same-sex marriage in one case? Why just this case?

And...why? Why not?

Well?

Yvette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 12:50:37 PM

Anthropologists would disagree with your definition. So would, you know, the government.

Clearly people are pouring their lives and money into fighting for same-sex marriage so they can dodge taxes. Seriously, are you for real? Why do YOU want to get married? Must be so you can dodge taxes.

Yvette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 12:52:47 PM
At 6/29/2010 12:50:39 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Yvette, according to zets, homosexuality is a mental disease. Just sayin'...

I'm fully aware that anti-homosexual types don't really think rationally on the subject. I'm just curious where the arbitrary line in the sand is and what sort of reasoning they come up for it.

InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 12:54:45 PM
At 6/29/2010 12:52:47 PM, Yvette wrote:

I'm fully aware that anti-homosexual types don't really think rationally on the subject. I'm just curious where the arbitrary line in the sand is and what sort of reasoning they come up for it.

Can't help you there as I support gay rights(yes, I'm aware that's probably a contradictory position for me to take, but f*ck those people who are anti-gay). haha.
Yvette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 12:56:32 PM
At 6/29/2010 12:54:45 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Can't help you there as I support gay rights(yes, I'm aware that's probably a contradictory position for me to take, but f*ck those people who are anti-gay). haha.

I once knew of a guy who thought that not only was homosexuality a disease, it was contagious.

InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 12:57:39 PM
At 6/29/2010 12:56:32 PM, Yvette wrote:

I once knew of a guy who thought that not only was homosexuality a disease, it was contagious.

That's horrible. D: My friend's parents are somewhat like that although not as extreme. They're Catholics btw.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 12:58:49 PM

Ever heard the Anne Mccaffrey theory? Makes it sound much more like a broken arm than a contagious disease :)
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Yvette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 1:25:47 PM
At 6/29/2010 12:58:49 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Ever heard the Anne Mccaffrey theory? Makes it sound much more like a broken arm than a contagious disease :)

Nope, but I just looked it up and laughed pretty hard. *waves a tent peg at the homosexuality-is-contagious guy and winks at him*

I think it's silly to treat homosexuality as a negative thing simply because it's unusual. Human sexuality, and even just human behavior, is so varied and full of oddities. Simply because homosexual relationships require a different system of genitals doesn't make them any different from other sort of sexual oddities like foot fetishes or an attraction to a different race. The only times sexual oddities are truly problematic are when the only way they can be practiced causes harm that wasn't consented to (as opposed to harm that was consented to).

As an aside, from what I've been learning in my classes it's partially genetic, partially environmental. Twins are very likely to be the same sexuality, etc. Societies which are more intolerant against homosexuality allow the genes for it to be passed on more since they're expected to have kids. I love it. Justice. Moms who have more than one male offspring have a higher chance of having a homosexual boy each time they have a male child.

Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2010 1:41:01 PM
At 6/29/2010 8:21:26 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Zetsubo, on what basis do you dictate what a persons gender is, and what gender they may marry into.
You have a testes(or did at birth) or something vaguely like it you're a guy. If you have both sexual organs then lean towards what you least are.
Certain native american tribes recognised 6 genders, marriage within and outisde of those genders.
Argumentum ad populum ; )
So what?
What is your logic?

Is there any point trying to get some sense out of you?
I don't think you ever give me the chance. ^^
'sup DDO -- july 2013