Jump to topic:

Horrible Commercials

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 4:19:31 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I only recently got a TV. I haven't had one for a number of years, so commercials are something I haven't experienced in a while.

And let me just say....

Microsoft has the worst commercials of any tech company I've ever seen.
The new Jello commercial is horrible.

Granted, I hate Microsoft and I'm not a fan of Jello, but those commercials make me resent the products they're advertising. I recall that eight or nine years ago, Swiffer had an ad that produced a similar effect.

To this day, I refuse to buy a Swiffer.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 4:35:10 PM
That should really be the number one test of any commercial....

How annoying as sh!t is this going to be? If the answer is anything more than "a bit" then it's time to reconsider your ad campaign.

I think that Microsoft and Jello must have had the same ad agency design their horrible ads. They both sort of do the same thing, in the same way by the same methods. It was either the same designer, or someone ripping off the idea....

Very bad... either way, although I think particularly bad if the latter ad just ripped off the former. It was probably Jello that ripped off Microsoft.

I should write a blog on bad advertisements.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 4:37:03 PM
Go-Daddy probably had the worst advertisement of the decade... and they might have intended it to go sour as a publicity stunt because they made a calculated risk that people who are most likely to buy their products would empathize with the company more than puppies.

Talk about targeted advertising....

Budweiser has the best commercials of any company I have ever seen, other than John Lewis's penguin ad for Christmas 2014.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 4:39:51 PM
But really.... the Jello commercials and the Microsoft Commercials are in a league of their own for horribleness.
Tsar of DDO
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 4:52:10 PM
At 1/31/2015 4:39:01 PM, YYW wrote:
Audi has excellent commercials too.

My personal favourite Audi commercial is this one:
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 4:59:27 PM
At 1/31/2015 4:52:10 PM, SamStevens wrote:

That's a good one, for sure.
Tsar of DDO
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 5:48:31 PM
At 1/31/2015 4:19:31 PM, YYW wrote:
I only recently got a TV. I haven't had one for a number of years, so commercials are something I haven't experienced in a while.

And let me just say....

I guess Microsoft is making so much money they don't need good commercials.

Of course not. There's no Bill Cosby.

I have a swiffer wet jet. It sure beats mopping.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 5:49:37 PM
At 1/31/2015 5:48:31 PM, philochristos wrote:

I mean of course it is.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 5:49:56 PM
At 1/31/2015 5:48:31 PM, philochristos wrote:

And let me just say....

I guess Microsoft is making so much money they don't need good commercials.

Possibly.

Oh Bill Cosby... what a guy.

I have a swiffer wet jet. It sure beats mopping.

I have hardwoods and a vacuum. I don't mop.
Tsar of DDO
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 7:54:58 PM

Man car commercials are always so cool!

And so useless! since nobody cares about the commercial when going to buy a car... I also like Coke commercials.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2015 11:17:05 PM
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 7:50:27 PM
H&R Block has great commercials.

McDonalds has shitty commercials. Like, horrible. And they're racist, too.
Tsar of DDO
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 8:01:04 PM
At 2/8/2015 7:50:27 PM, YYW wrote:

I'm not sure they think about what they're saying...

"Double Cheeseburger? I'd hit it. I'm a dollar menu guy."

(-McDonald's)
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 8:02:38 PM
At 2/8/2015 8:01:04 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 2/8/2015 7:50:27 PM, YYW wrote:

I'm not sure they think about what they're saying...

"Double Cheeseburger? I'd hit it. I'm a dollar menu guy."

(-McDonald's)

It's like...

"Hey, let's only market to black and latino people because they're the only people poor and dumb enough to eat here."

Disgusting.
Tsar of DDO
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2015 8:07:11 PM
At 1/31/2015 4:59:27 PM, YYW wrote:

That's a good one, for sure.

Another commercial that I like is this one:
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 10:45:25 PM
At 2/14/2015 10:41:27 PM, YYW wrote:
This... this is probably the best commercial of the year:

https://www.youtube.com...

I mean really... that Vistaprint commercial hit hard... right in the feels. It does everything that advertising should. It shares a story, the story it shares is meaningful and it makes you feel something and it connects that feeling to the product. It literally gives their product meaning. That is one of the best commercials I have ever seen. Ten out of ten stars.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 10:49:43 PM
I want to reiterate, though, that them more I see the new commercials for the Surface Pro 4, the more I resent the product because of how annoying it is. The same applies to the Jello commercials.

I am actually in the market for a tablet. I would consider buying that, even though it's windows, but every time I see one of those devices I think of that shitty commercial and I hate the Surface Pro 4 because of it.

Granted, I don't see "jello" in the store because the grocery stores that I shop at don't sell it... but if they did, I wouldn't buy it.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 10:57:06 PM
This is probably the most poorly launched commercial I've seen in a while:

I know it's late to the game to mention it, because this was a super bowl commercial and we're weeks past its air date... but the timing and execution of this was very poor.

If Nationwide wanted to actually raise awareness, they would have used that huge chunk of their advertising budget to air the commercial hundreds of thousands of times over during the day and at primetime. They would not have spoiled the mood of the nation by talking about one of the worst fears of every parent while the country was trying to get drunk and have a good time.

I understand their sentiment, but this was incredibly poor judgement on Nationwide's part. Granted, I use State Farm for insurance... and the reason is because I don't pay for my insurance. But, State Farm has been good and I'll probably continue to use them... I see no reason to change, and if I was going to change, I wouldn't change to a company which has such poor planning and execution as Nationwide clearly does.

Maybe I'm being harsh and unfair, but I seriously question a company that choses to air an ad like that during the Super Bowl. I expect more from an insurance company.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 11:01:25 PM
It goes without saying, and I won't even post a link to it because it was such garbage, that the GoDaddy commercial was sh!t. It was very cleverly executed sh!t, too. That kind of a commercial is literally manipulation of stupid people at it's finest.

Step 1: Make provocative advertisement.
Step 2: Offend overly sensitive people with said advertisement.
Step 3: Enjoy free publicity of brand image from people outraged by said advertisement.
Step 4: Watch people who are insensitive tech nerds (target audience) empathize with the company on the basis of their resentment of the people who were offended by said advertisement.
Step 5: Collect profits.
Tsar of DDO
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 11:14:25 PM
At 2/14/2015 10:57:06 PM, YYW wrote:
This is probably the most poorly launched commercial I've seen in a while:

I know it's late to the game to mention it, because this was a super bowl commercial and we're weeks past its air date... but the timing and execution of this was very poor.

If Nationwide wanted to actually raise awareness, they would have used that huge chunk of their advertising budget to air the commercial hundreds of thousands of times over during the day and at primetime. They would not have spoiled the mood of the nation by talking about one of the worst fears of every parent while the country was trying to get drunk and have a good time.

Funny stuff.

I understand their sentiment, but this was incredibly poor judgement on Nationwide's part. Granted, I use State Farm for insurance... and the reason is because I don't pay for my insurance. But, State Farm has been good and I'll probably continue to use them... I see no reason to change, and if I was going to change, I wouldn't change to a company which has such poor planning and execution as Nationwide clearly does.

Maybe I'm being harsh and unfair, but I seriously question a company that choses to air an ad like that during the Super Bowl. I expect more from an insurance company.

So just because the Nation is trying to have a good time, they should forget about fatal accidents?
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 7:50:03 PM

And let me just say....

Granted, I hate Microsoft and I'm not a fan of Jello, but those commercials make me resent the products they're advertising. I recall that eight or nine years ago, Swiffer had an ad that produced a similar effect.

I found this Carl's Jr. commercial to be poor in quality and slightly inappropriate.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 7:52:52 PM
At 2/19/2015 7:50:03 PM, SamStevens wrote:

And let me just say....

I found this Carl's Jr. commercial to be poor in quality and slightly inappropriate.

Meh...

I think sex in commercials is generally fine... and Americans get too bothered by it.

There is nothing wrong with sexy male or female ads. I would say that I am definitely not the target audience, and that the advertisement is hilariously ironic because her breasts are obviously fake... but meh... I don't fault Carl's Jr. for running it.
Tsar of DDO
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2015 7:58:05 PM
At 2/19/2015 7:52:52 PM, YYW wrote:
At 2/19/2015 7:50:03 PM, SamStevens wrote:

And let me just say....

Meh...

I think sex in commercials is generally fine... and Americans get too bothered by it.

There was sex in the commercial?

Underlined portion: That is true.

There is nothing wrong with sexy male or female ads. I would say that I am definitely not the target audience, and that the advertisement is hilariously ironic because her breasts are obviously fake... but meh... I don't fault Carl's Jr. for running it.