Total Posts:14|Showing Posts:1-14
Jump to topic:

If America were a tech cult...?

Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2015 4:01:54 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Imagine America with the official state religion of technology worship. Every citizen was required by law to value and practice science, and each year, the bottom 0.1% of the State intelligence ranking was quietly sterilized. Social policies are very progressive, and everyone is an atheist.

How would the society work out?
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
intellectuallyprimitive
Posts: 1,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2015 12:55:01 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/1/2015 4:01:54 AM, Smithereens wrote:
Imagine America with the official state religion of technology worship. Every citizen was required by law to value and practice science, and each year, the bottom 0.1% of the State intelligence ranking was quietly sterilized. Social policies are very progressive, and everyone is an atheist.

How would the society work out?

Required by law to value science? How would law enforcement officials enforce citizens to value science?
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2015 10:33:59 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2015 10:57:32 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/1/2015 4:01:54 AM, Smithereens wrote:
Imagine America with the official state religion of technology worship. Every citizen was required by law to value and practice science, and each year, the bottom 0.1% of the State intelligence ranking was quietly sterilized. Social policies are very progressive, and everyone is an atheist.

How would the society work out?

When you say "technology worship", what does that mean? Your idea actually doesn't sound to bad but I'm wondering why you porposal it as a religion. If it is religion in name only I'd be down. I'd love a society that main focus was science and learning.
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 2:58:23 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/2/2015 12:55:01 AM, intellectuallyprimitive wrote:
At 2/1/2015 4:01:54 AM, Smithereens wrote:
Imagine America with the official state religion of technology worship. Every citizen was required by law to value and practice science, and each year, the bottom 0.1% of the State intelligence ranking was quietly sterilized. Social policies are very progressive, and everyone is an atheist.

How would the society work out?

Required by law to value science? How would law enforcement officials enforce citizens to value science?
By prioritising its practice. People caught praying instead of using medicine would be punished for example. It's more a culture.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 3:00:31 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/2/2015 10:57:32 AM, Df0512 wrote:
At 2/1/2015 4:01:54 AM, Smithereens wrote:
Imagine America with the official state religion of technology worship. Every citizen was required by law to value and practice science, and each year, the bottom 0.1% of the State intelligence ranking was quietly sterilized. Social policies are very progressive, and everyone is an atheist.

How would the society work out?

When you say "technology worship", what does that mean? Your idea actually doesn't sound to bad but I'm wondering why you porposal it as a religion. If it is religion in name only I'd be down. I'd love a society that main focus was science and learning.

I propose it as a religion to remove the freedom aspect of it. You are not free to do anything that opposes the interests of science and learning.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 12:03:53 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/3/2015 3:00:31 AM, Smithereens wrote:
At 2/2/2015 10:57:32 AM, Df0512 wrote:
At 2/1/2015 4:01:54 AM, Smithereens wrote:
Imagine America with the official state religion of technology worship. Every citizen was required by law to value and practice science, and each year, the bottom 0.1% of the State intelligence ranking was quietly sterilized. Social policies are very progressive, and everyone is an atheist.

How would the society work out?

When you say "technology worship", what does that mean? Your idea actually doesn't sound to bad but I'm wondering why you porposal it as a religion. If it is religion in name only I'd be down. I'd love a society that main focus was science and learning.

I propose it as a religion to remove the freedom aspect of it. You are not free to do anything that opposes the interests of science and learning.

OH...that doesn't sound good. But in the intersets, it still doesn't sound to bad
thett3
Posts: 14,344
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 12:06:35 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Beavers would develop sentience, ride ostriches, and rival human as the dominant race in a world where atheism is held by all. If you don't get the reference, you aren't worth talking to
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
SirCrona
Posts: 139
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 1:32:41 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/1/2015 4:01:54 AM, Smithereens wrote:
Imagine America with the official state religion of technology worship. Every citizen was required by law to value and practice science, and each year, the bottom 0.1% of the State intelligence ranking was quietly sterilized. Social policies are very progressive, and everyone is an atheist.

How would the society work out?

I don't want Earth to become Warhammer 40k, but I must admit being part of the Mechanicus would be pretty cool.

Sterilization does nothing for average intelligence. Most twin studies have concluded that intelligence is affected by nurture (environment growing up) rather than nature (genetics.) So I wouldn't be on board for that part.

"Practice" science? As in, methodically use the scientific method for everything? It wouldn't always be applicable. Even if a large portion of Americans were to become skilled scientists, the actual growth of technology would be relatively slow.

Everyone being mandated to be an Atheist would be incredibly boring, and nobody would agree to it.
KhaosMage
Posts: 1,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 2:17:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/3/2015 12:06:35 PM, thett3 wrote:
Beavers would develop sentience, ride ostriches, and rival human as the dominant race in a world where atheism is held by all. If you don't get the reference, you aren't worth talking to

Oh, you're one of those Allied Alliance folks, eh?
I get your reference, you as a League man, you aren't worth talking to.
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 2:17:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/1/2015 4:01:54 AM, Smithereens wrote:
Imagine America with the official state religion of technology worship. Every citizen was required by law to value and practice science, and each year, the bottom 0.1% of the State intelligence ranking was quietly sterilized. Social policies are very progressive, and everyone is an atheist.

How would the society work out?

Not very good. It sounds like a utopia, which means that the people who came up with it probably have no ideas how real governments function and change over time. I would guess a brutal collapse into Machiavelli's cycle.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 2:19:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/3/2015 2:17:33 PM, KhaosMage wrote:
At 2/3/2015 12:06:35 PM, thett3 wrote:
Beavers would develop sentience, ride ostriches, and rival human as the dominant race in a world where atheism is held by all. If you don't get the reference, you aren't worth talking to

Oh, you're one of those Allied Alliance folks, eh?
I get your reference, you as a League man, you aren't worth talking to.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
KhaosMage
Posts: 1,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2015 2:22:42 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/3/2015 2:19:00 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 2/3/2015 2:17:33 PM, KhaosMage wrote:
At 2/3/2015 12:06:35 PM, thett3 wrote:
Beavers would develop sentience, ride ostriches, and rival human as the dominant race in a world where atheism is held by all. If you don't get the reference, you aren't worth talking to

Oh, you're one of those Allied Alliance folks, eh?
I get your reference, you as a League man, you aren't worth talking to.



+1
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2015 4:08:18 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/1/2015 4:01:54 AM, Smithereens wrote:
Imagine America with the official state religion of technology worship. Every citizen was required by law to value and practice science, and each year, the bottom 0.1% of the State intelligence ranking was quietly sterilized. Social policies are very progressive, and everyone is an atheist.

How would the society work out?

You just made me cum in my pants.