Jump to topic:

How do you feel about race?

AFism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2015 1:08:24 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Hello all! I am working on a project that deals with racial perceptions. Please comment any opinions that are race related. My project is focused on Racism in America, so if you are american or have opinions about racism in america please share.

Here are some things to consider:

Do I believe there is a such thing as race scientifically?

What is my relationship to race and my identity?

Do I have any experiences that I want to share that have to do with race?

Do I feel that we need legislation that equals the playing field or shuns racial discrimination?

Do choose to let race play a part in my identity? (Do I identify with a race?)

Am I tired of talking about race?

Does culture and media heavily influence my views on race?

Does race matter to me?

When posting it would be helpful if you stated your race, country and age but it is not required. Please post seriously. Trolls are not welcome. Please no insulting each other and refrain from using racial slurs. Please be sensitive to everyones opinion because they are entitled to it.

I look forward to reading your posts and asking you questions!
jimtimmy4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2015 2:00:56 PM
At 2/6/2015 1:08:24 PM, AFism wrote:
Hello all! I am working on a project that deals with racial perceptions. Please comment any opinions that are race related. My project is focused on Racism in America, so if you are american or have opinions about racism in america please share.

Yes.

I'm white. Not a huge part of my identity, but it is there.

I guess not.

Do I feel that we need legislation that equals the playing field or shuns racial discrimination?

Yes. We need legislation that abolishes all forms of affirmative action and racial quotas so the playing field can be closer to level.

Do choose to let race play a part in my identity? (Do I identify with a race?

I'm white.

)

Not really. But, I wish we could have a more rational discussion about it.

Not really.

Does race matter to me?

Yes.

When posting it would be helpful if you stated your race, country and age but it is not required. Please post seriously. Trolls are not welcome. Please no insulting each other and refrain from using racial slurs. Please be sensitive to everyones opinion because they are entitled to it.

Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2015 2:17:26 PM

This is a hard question to answer. When I was a teenager, I would say, "certainly! Obviously!" As a young adult, my answer was an adamant, "absolutely not!" But, as someone who has decided that he isn't interested in the racial debate anymore, I can consider it from a much more objective perspective.

Accordingly, my answer is that it depends. Anthropologically, it certainly does exist. There are different cultures from different areas of the world, and associated adaptations, and often, those distinctions from an anthropological perspective are relevant. Biologically, it does not. Humans are not like dog breeds. There's not quite that much variability, and it wasn't created with rudimentary purpose, like "hunt rats," "look pretty," or "be furry." They are essentially all the same thing, with relatively slight variation, depending on the geographical location and diet of their ancestry. In contemporary global society, these distinctions have little relevance overall.

As far as my "race" is concerned, I don't have a "relationship" with it at all. I opportunistically relate to whatever I can pass off as based on the social situation I'm in. I honestly don't care what people perceive me as, and consider it little more than a fashion statement.

My identity is based on my personality, activities, and interests. Those who see it otherwise often aren't socially compatible with me.

Well, I will say that dating women irrespective to their cultural designation, appearance, or upbringing as proven quite fulfilling.

Travelling has, as well.

Yes.

Nope.

Yes.

Nope.

Does race matter to me?

Nope.

jimtimmy4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2015 3:04:48 PM
At 2/6/2015 2:17:26 PM, Such wrote:

This is a hard question to answer. When I was a teenager, I would say, "certainly! Obviously!" As a young adult, my answer was an adamant, "absolutely not!" But, as someone who has decided that he isn't interested in the racial debate anymore, I can consider it from a much more objective perspective.

Accordingly, my answer is that it depends. Anthropologically, it certainly does exist. There are different cultures from different areas of the world, and associated adaptations, and often, those distinctions from an anthropological perspective are relevant. Biologically, it does not. Humans are not like dog breeds. There's not quite that much variability, and it wasn't created with rudimentary purpose, like "hunt rats," "look pretty," or "be furry." They are essentially all the same thing, with relatively slight variation, depending on the geographical location and diet of their ancestry. In contemporary global society, these distinctions have little relevance overall.

Actually. Human races and dog breeds are quite similar .
SirCrona
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2015 3:52:25 PM

Yes.

It mostly has to do with my culture.

That's too broad an idea to support or oppose. I'd need more detail about the legislation itself.

Not really.

Not particularly.
Does race matter to me?

No.
When posting it would be helpful if you stated your race, country and age
Scotch-Irish, United States, 20.
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2015 4:12:36 PM
At 2/6/2015 3:04:48 PM, jimtimmy4 wrote:

I know you would love to think that you have the sort of credibility to simply get by on blind assertions, but...
jimtimmy4
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2015 4:15:21 PM
At 2/6/2015 4:12:36 PM, Such wrote:

I know you would love to think that you have the sort of credibility to simply get by on blind assertions, but...

Okay. Let me be more specific:

Dog breeds can breed with dogs of different breeds

Races can do the same

Dog breeds have different physical characteristics and behavioral characteristics (on average)

Same is true of races

There is more genetic variation WITHIN dog breeds than between dog breeds

Same is true of races

Dog breeds are not technically recognized as a biological category, but it is still useful because it categorizes by different genetic heritage, physical attributes, and behavioral characteristics

Same is true of race
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2015 7:21:02 PM

Yes

Huh? Not sure what you mean.

This is way too general of a question. Not sure how to answer.

I think that we need one that equals the playing field but I'm against one that shuns racial discrimination, but the presupposed meanings behind those phrases need to be brought to light before an accurate answer can be given.

Huh?

You've yet to ask any questions about race yet.

Obviously, yes.

Does race matter to me?

In regards to what? When determining whether to drive through a neighborhood and lock my doors or keep them unlocked it might.

Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2015 9:50:44 AM
At 2/6/2015 4:15:21 PM, jimtimmy4 wrote:
At 2/6/2015 4:12:36 PM, Such wrote:

Okay. Let me be more specific:

Dog breeds can breed with dogs of different breeds

Races can do the same

Dog breeds have different physical characteristics and behavioral characteristics (on average)

Same is true of races

There is more genetic variation WITHIN dog breeds than between dog breeds

Same is true of races

Dog breeds are not technically recognized as a biological category, but it is still useful because it categorizes by different genetic heritage, physical attributes, and behavioral characteristics

Same is true of race

Yes, there are things that "race" perception and dog breeds have in common, which is what made my comment relevant in the first place. There are other issues that render them distinct, and I listed a couple:

"There's not quite that much variability, and it wasn't created with rudimentary purpose, like "hunt rats," "look pretty," or "be furry.""

To take it a step further, dog breeds were created artificially, resulting in repeated genetic bottlenecks, inflated mutations, and exploited handicaps (such as difficulty breathing, weak joints, or extreme dwarfism). To compare perceived "races" and dog breeds suggests a lack of understanding of both.
Dilara
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 6:17:29 PM
I am 17 and I'm from Ohio, America. I'm half Crimean Tatar witch is a turkik ethnic group. Tatars are part Asian and part white. I'm also half Western European. Even though I'm part Asian I look very white so i identify as white.
Race exists scientifically.
I have been bullied by black girls who would call me anti white names.
My families experience with racism is much more sad than mine. During ww2 they were taken from the Soviet Union and placed into nazi labor camps where they were forced to work for 7 years. They are white and they suffered at the hands of the nazis. It annoys me when people assume that because I'm white I benefitted from racism and there for want to discriminate against me with affirmative action (which Is reverse discrimination ) with out knowing my family's story--because my family suffered from racism. Don't assume that because someone is white that they are automatically more privileged than the black person next door and that they have benefited from racism. This white person could have been in a nazi work camp like my family members or suffered from an anti white hate crime. They could also suffer form poverty or abuse disease or disability and have had a worse life than their black counterpart who they are competing with for a job. A black person might have had a family who came to America in the 21st century and wasn't effected by racism. Compare them to a white person who did suffer racism. And your going to give the job or spot in a school to the person who didn't suffer from racism--while trying to makeup for passed racist actions?
Many anti white crimes don't get reported. Here are some examples.
David Santucci was killed as revenge for trayvon martin. He was a 27 year old nurse
Kevin Shiflet was 8 when a black man slit his throat because he hated white people.
Zemir begic was killed as revenge for Michael brown in December by a group of black and Hispanic teens. He was hammered to death.
Points I've made
White people can suffer from racism and have been more accreted by it than their black counter part.
Anti white crimes happen in America
White people can be very unprivileged and suffer from a variety if things making it harder to do well compared to their black counter part.
RaceRealist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2015 7:48:54 PM

Yes

Im whitewashed with a bit of ethnic. I never learned my native tongue and i rarely had friends of my own race after elementary school because their parents wouldn't let their kids hang out with me

No

Equal the playing field but not by affirmative action. Affirmative Action is just favoring some races over others

I identify with my race but barely. Most of the time i don't consider my racial background as a factor

Yes, grow up. Majority black areas are usually crime filled (Chicago, St. Louis, Atlanta, Detroit, Flint, East St. Louis, Cleveland, Harlem, Washington D.C, Baltimore) or poor (Mississippi Delta, any of the cities mentioned above). There are always exceptions to the rule. I'm also tired about how people single others out by race. I get so tired of people asking me stupid questions about my ethnicity. We should be singling people out by their behavior not race.

No.

Does race matter to me?

No

Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 7:51:10 PM

Not in a definite, objective sense. It's a fuzzy concept, not a clean cut one.

I like some of my backgound story. One branch of my family fled economic disaster in a country which no longer exists (ethnic Ukrainians from Galicia, near the Ukraine-Poland border). The country had been broken into pieces and traded between the various regional powers, and the entire economy went to pieces. Another came over as indentured servants on the Mayflower. I have both new German immigrants (late 1800s) and Pennsylvania dutch in my heritage as well. And along every line of ancestry which I've traced, there are countless more lines leading off into oblivion. I find this interesting as a story, but it doesn't really have much impact on my life.

No, not really. As I've said, it hasn't really affected me that much.

Depends. I believe that public businesses should be barred from discrimination due the funding which they receive. I loathe affirmative action, as I've seen things awarded to people who squandered it. I come from a lower middle class family. My father has no high school diploma, and works sixty hours a week as an engineer in a manufacturing plant, as he comes from a poor background. I went to college on my own dime, and through loans. I pay over $800 a month to that end, and also work two jobs (60 hours a week). I also read on a regular basis, and put the effort into educating myself. I saw people go to my college on full assistance, fail their classes, switch to useless majors, and drop out. I've seen rigorous classes dumbed down in order to accommodate a glut of students who had neither the acumen nor the will to succeed in an academic environment, thus cheating those of us who are sacrificing a lot to be there out of the education which we were expecting to receive. I've also seen such people succeed, but they often didn't need the assistance in the first place due to their academic achievements.

A lot of people, who received assistance due to their financial situation, or for race, simply should not be in college, as it is completely and utterly wasted on them. You can't make someone intelligent by sending them to college, they have to enter higher education with the fire and the drive to succeed there. I think that an education system modeled after the German system, which regularly tests people and separates them based on results into various tracts would help much more when it comes to making sure that ability is respected, and that every child ends up receiving a level of education which they can take advantage of, and which will actually benefit them. A huge amount of people in my college on sports scholarships (another thing that I have a big problem with in American education) and/or public assistance majored in criminal justice, because it was a laughably easy major, and have received degrees which are basically fraudulent. How does this help them? It doesn't. Had they gone to trade school, they very well may have ended up in a lucrative career.

No. My achievements are mine, and my immediate (~last 4 generations) ancestors. My background is just an interesting story.

Not really, I think that it's interesting. I just hate the stupid, oversimplified narrative which predominates whenever it is discussed. Probably the most interesting person to read on the issue, who tackles the issue with all of its complexities, is Toni Morrison.

Do culture and media heavily influence my views on race?

Depends, that's a very vague question. They influence everyone in the beginning. I've worked to combat that influence quite actively. I see virulent racism all around me on a regular basis, as I live in a rural area, though I think that most of it isn't really genuinely believed. It's a social binding force, but when you push people on it they admit that they don't really believe it.

No one in my family was raised with that sort of animus, because my maternal grandfather hates racism. He used to hold such views, but a black off-duty nurse saved my aunt (his daughter) when she was a young child and stopped breathing due to health issues (she had several severe strokes at a young age.) So my entire extended family on that side is sort of unique in our area in that regard. It's interesting how a single act of kindness can transform three generations of a family so thoroughly.

Does race matter to me?

Also a very vague question. It matters to everyone, because everyone is raced to some degree from the beginning; it's part of universal conditioning imposed by society.

Caucasian (English, German, Russian (Ukrainian), some Irish), 26, Pennsylvania, USA

"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Varrack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2015 8:09:19 PM

Yes.

Huh? Reword this.

No, not really.

Affirmative action is discrimination in itself. You cannot fight racism with racism.

Yes.

Not really

No

Does race matter to me?

Nope

White, American, 16

AFism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2015 12:31:27 AM
At 2/14/2015 7:51:10 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Not in a definite, objective sense. It's a fuzzy concept, not a clean cut one.

I like some of my backgound story. One branch of my family fled economic disaster in a country which no longer exists (ethnic Ukrainians from Galicia, near the Ukraine-Poland border). The country had been broken into pieces and traded between the various regional powers, and the entire economy went to pieces. Another came over as indentured servants on the Mayflower. I have both new German immigrants (late 1800s) and Pennsylvania dutch in my heritage as well. And along every line of ancestry which I've traced, there are countless more lines leading off into oblivion. I find this interesting as a story, but it doesn't really have much impact on my life.

No, not really. As I've said, it hasn't really affected me that much.

Depends. I believe that public businesses should be barred from discrimination due the funding which they receive. I loathe affirmative action, as I've seen things awarded to people who squandered it. I come from a lower middle class family. My father has no high school diploma, and works sixty hours a week as an engineer in a manufacturing plant, as he comes from a poor background. I went to college on my own dime, and through loans. I pay over $800 a month to that end, and also work two jobs (60 hours a week). I also read on a regular basis, and put the effort into educating myself. I saw people go to my college on full assistance, fail their classes, switch to useless majors, and drop out. I've seen rigorous classes dumbed down in order to accommodate a glut of students who had neither the acumen nor the will to succeed in an academic environment, thus cheating those of us who are sacrificing a lot to be there out of the education which we were expecting to receive. I've also seen such people succeed, but they often didn't need the assistance in the first place due to their academic achievements.

A lot of people, who received assistance due to their financial situation, or for race, simply should not be in college, as it is completely and utterly wasted on them. You can't make someone intelligent by sending them to college, they have to enter higher education with the fire and the drive to succeed there. I think that an education system modeled after the German system, which regularly tests people and separates them based on results into various tracts would help much more when it comes to making sure that ability is respected, and that every child ends up receiving a level of education which they can take advantage of, and which will actually benefit them. A huge amount of people in my college on sports scholarships (another thing that I have a big problem with in American education) and/or public assistance majored in criminal justice, because it was a laughably easy major, and have received degrees which are basically fraudulent. How does this help them? It doesn't. Had they gone to trade school, they very well may have ended up in a lucrative career.

No. My achievements are mine, and my immediate (~last 4 generations) ancestors. My background is just an interesting story.

Not really, I think that it's interesting. I just hate the stupid, oversimplified narrative which predominates whenever it is discussed. Probably the most interesting person to read on the issue, who tackles the issue with all of its complexities, is Toni Morrison.

Ha I love her books!

Do culture and media heavily influence my views on race?

Depends, that's a very vague question. They influence everyone in the beginning. I've worked to combat that influence quite actively. I see virulent racism all around me on a regular basis, as I live in a rural area, though I think that most of it isn't really genuinely believed. It's a social binding force, but when you push people on it they admit that they don't really believe it.

No one in my family was raised with that sort of animus, because my maternal grandfather hates racism. He used to hold such views, but a black off-duty nurse saved my aunt (his daughter) when she was a young child and stopped breathing due to health issues (she had several severe strokes at a young age.) So my entire extended family on that side is sort of unique in our area in that regard. It's interesting how a single act of kindness can transform three generations of a family so thoroughly.

Does race matter to me?

Also a very vague question. It matters to everyone, because everyone is raced to some degree from the beginning; it's part of universal conditioning imposed by society.

Caucasian (English, German, Russian (Ukrainian), some Irish), 26, Pennsylvania, USA

Thanks for your response! I made my questions vague to see what people thought of first when they answered.